View Full Version : Shelf life of lye relaxers...

Lilshortnsassy
01-27-2009, 07:33 PM
I was wondering how long can I keep my jar of lye relaxer. I brought one a month ago for a touch up and I have just had it on the shelf in my bathroom will it still be okay to use?:confused:

Tall, Black Canadian
01-27-2009, 08:25 PM
Lye relaxers are good for AGES as long as it's kept in a dry place. So if that shelf is close to the shower I'd move it so moisture/humidity doesn't affect it. The no lye you have to watch since they have an expiration date. If you don't have a 20 lb monster size tub of relaxer you should be able to use up what you've got with it still intact.

blkqueen1882
01-27-2009, 08:25 PM
Lye relaxers are good for up to a year and a half. No-lye can last up to two years. I found this on another hair site about opened products:

RELAXERS - NO LYE AND STRAIGHTENERS Once mixed, use product immediately. Multiple use components that are opened but unmixed are good for up to 1 year. Use according to directions and safety warnings. Do not modify directions or use. (Unopened, 3 years.)

Tall, Black Canadian
01-27-2009, 08:30 PM
What the research I did, lye relaxers are good for up to a year and a half. No-lye can last up to two years.

I never knew that. I always see the expiration on the kits, but never on the bottle. I guess the assumption is that if you are buying a big professional bottle that you will use it up relatively quickly.

Great info blkqueen1882!

sqzbly1908
01-31-2009, 11:23 AM
I always wondered about this I did my 1st self relax (in 6 years) a week ago. I used a lye relaxer and did not have to use much of it...

Tall, Black Canadian
01-31-2009, 08:53 PM
I went online for a bit more info. There is a symbol on all of our shampoos, conditioners, relaxers, etc of a jar with a lid off and a number with an M on the jar. I checked my relaxer and saw a 1M. That means that once opened my relaxer is only good for a month! :eek: Well SNAP! I'm not planning on relaxing more often in order to use off the product, but I will keep storing it in a cool dry place so I can actualy get two uses out of the stuff. OR I'll just be really generous with the cream, chuck the balance, and buy a new bottle when it's time to. Either way, it's still cheaper than going to the salon. I began to check all of my products and actually had to bin a few because I know I've had them longer than 12 months. This will definately slow down my PJism (notice i didn't say stop it :rolleyes:).

Please check all of your products. Expiration may be the reason why some of them aren't working as well as they used to. And for everyone with HUGE 10 lb containers of relaxer, check the expiration after opening. It may be smart to get a smaller container or to share a container with someone.

Lilshortnsassy
01-31-2009, 09:51 PM
I went online for a bit more info. There is a symbol on all of our shampoos, conditioners, relaxers, etc of a jar with a lid off and a number with an M on the jar. I checked my relaxer and saw a 1M. That means that once opened my relaxer is only good for a month! :eek: Well SNAP! I'm not planning on relaxing more often in order to use off the product, but I will keep storing it in a cool dry place so I can actualy get two uses out of the stuff. OR I'll just be really generous with the cream, chuck the balance, and buy a new bottle when it's time to. Either way, it's still cheaper than going to the salon. I began to check all of my products and actually had to bin a few because I know I've had them longer than 12 months. This will definately slow down my PJism (notice i didn't say stop it :rolleyes:).

Please check all of your products. Expiration may be the reason why some of them aren't working as well as they used to. And for everyone with HUGE 10 lb containers of relaxer, check the expiration after opening. It may be smart to get a smaller container or to share a container with someone.

I just checked mine and all I see is 8D130 :confused:

Tall, Black Canadian
01-31-2009, 09:57 PM
I just checked mine and all I see is 8D130 :confused:

That's a manufacturer's batch code. You'd have to call the company for the date of expiration for that batch. If there's no symbol, it could mean that it will last longer than my little jar of creamy crack.

Lilshortnsassy
01-31-2009, 10:03 PM
That's a manufacturer's batch code. You'd have to call the company for the date of expiration for that batch. If there's no symbol, it could mean that it will last longer than my little jar of creamy crack.

LOL, yea I saw the number on the jar Ill call and find out because I due for a relaxer next week

CherriPepsi
01-31-2009, 10:40 PM
must keep that in mind when I get a relaxer.