View Full Version : How do you Prep your hair for Coloring?

munchy
01-16-2009, 08:46 AM
I would like to get my hair colored. Clairol is a good line because it conditions your hair at the same time. Now how would you prep your hair before you color it?:)

HairObsessed
01-16-2009, 03:55 PM
I am coloring tonight... I am doing Bigen... I was oiling my hair in excess all week long. I trimmed my bangs, dusted the rest.

blkqueen1882
01-18-2009, 08:15 PM
My mom uses cellophane and that IS a conditioner for the hair. She doesn't have to do anything to prep her hair for the dye and she even dyes her hair when she gets her touch up done.

Tall, Black Canadian
01-18-2009, 09:15 PM
I don't dye, but I would treat it like a relaxer and make sure that I've done a protein treatment a week before to strengthen my hair and reduce damage.

Mz. JJ
01-18-2009, 09:29 PM
I don't dye, but I would treat it like a relaxer and make sure that I've done a protein treatment a week before to strengthen my hair and reduce damage.

I agree with TBC. Anytime you do any chemical service to your hair, I would "prep" by doing a protein treatment, unless the instructions for the product you will be using states otherwise.

aliezaria
01-20-2009, 08:10 PM
how often would you have to treat hair once bleached

blkqueen1882
01-22-2009, 09:44 PM
how often would you have to treat hair once bleached

I wouldn't bleach my hair, too damaging. Although I do believe Ms JJ lightly bleached (under processed) her bangs to get that great look. I wouldn't advise doing it and leaving it on for the full time.

ayrin
03-06-2009, 12:18 PM
I am not using any chemicals, you can have variety of colors by using herbal & natural henna. It is prepared 100% herbal products no chemicals are used....

abbyZ
03-12-2009, 07:07 AM
I would do a protein treatment about a week before and then use Porosity Control a few days before coloring. This will reduce the damage and help the color come out better.

QuadSquadMom
04-14-2009, 10:26 AM
Glad to see this thread!

I MUST manage the hairline/temple grays TODAY!

I did a protein DC followed by moisturizing DC w/olive oil added to it. Moisturized all week by applying moisturizing cond/oo mix & ponytailed.

I'm using Clarol Professional's Beautiful Collection New Advanced Gray Solution Semi-permanent color. It's no ammonia/no peroxide. I'm using Burgundy Brown color.

It comes in a 3oz bottle which I got at Sally's for $6.49.

I'll report back on results.

QuadSquadMom
04-14-2009, 10:28 AM
Oh, to add to the above, I'm only seeking to do the hairline/temple areas to cover grays. If I was to use it to do all of my hair (shoulder-length) I'd need 2-3 bottles.

It says for better coverage I can use a cap & dryer heat. I'll do this method.

curlcrew2
04-14-2009, 11:27 AM
Glad to see this thread!

I MUST manage the hairline/temple grays TODAY!

I did a protein DC followed by moisturizing DC w/olive oil added to it. Moisturized all week by applying moisturizing cond/oo mix & ponytailed.

I'm using Clarol Professional's Beautiful Collection New Advanced Gray Solution Semi-permanent color. It's no ammonia/no peroxide. I'm using Burgundy Brown color.

It comes in a 3oz bottle which I got at Sally's for $6.49.

I'll report back on results.

Please post pics if possible I have been trying to get some color stability for about 6 months...My edges as well are the problem areas...Is this your first time to use this line and color? I sometimes use the one for roots-touch up...I have dark brown hair and want something that isn't dull for spring....

QuadSquadMom
04-14-2009, 12:08 PM
Ooh, I wish I would have thought of pics before I applied pre-shampoo & am wearing a cap. It's already wet with a mix of evoo/coconut oil 50/50 w/Neutragena conditioner. It looks far darker wet than dry.

Will still get what pics I can & post.

Yes, I have used this line before, but the original formula in the bronze bottle w/black dispenser cap. It did not fully cover grays for me; they were tinted, but mostly gray. I used Wine Brown. Just looked at the bottle (had some left) and it indicates "level 3 base red-violet".

This formula is new, said to better cover grays than the last version. It's the "new Advanced gray solution" in a beige bottle w/copper dispenser cap. This color is Burgundy Brown. This one says "level 2 base red-violet".

watkins
09-10-2010, 11:36 PM
Protect your skin with clothing and hair color stains. Develops on capes and your underwear and clothing to protect skin with hair color. Comb your hair. You can prepare the hair color, you should brush and make sure it is tangle free. Keep your hair dry when you run the comb through.

needamiracle
09-23-2010, 09:43 AM
make sure u moisturize it well

stevenson
10-20-2010, 02:51 AM
Cut your hair. If you plan to not only a new color, but also a new hairstyle, you want to cut your hair before applying color. Cutting and trimming to final style may come after the hair is dyed. This way, you will not lose time for dyeing hair very long if you just want to cut it.

arjunbarbosa
12-13-2010, 11:26 PM
I would do a protein treatment about a week before and then use Porosity Control a few days before coloring. This will reduce the damage and help the color come out better.

jwright
12-17-2010, 02:20 AM
Gray hair coloring process can be challenging. And the relationship of moves gray hair, the majority of gray hair, a challenge to grow, or so it seems.

HairObsessed
12-17-2010, 02:31 PM
Aphogee 2 step the day b4

Sent from my SPH-M900 using Tapatalk

jaigrasby
02-20-2011, 10:46 PM
Acquire and provide all the necessary elements to be used during the process of hair dyeing.Your instructions that come with your hair color can make some specific points. In addition, you want to have scissors, gloves, a comb, a towel and a washcloth nearby.

rockrego
03-14-2011, 11:07 AM
There are three tips for the coloring your hair. The three tips available here.
1. Perform a Strand Test
2. Sectioning
3. Prepare Yourself and Your Area

lemonjons
03-21-2011, 12:34 PM
I will do a protein treatment about a week ago, and then a few days before the porosity control color. This will reduce the damage to help better the color out. I did, the moisture protein DC-DC w / olive oil added to it.

hellypetro
04-18-2011, 05:37 AM
You should read the information for the home hair coloring product you have selected. Acquire and set out all needed items to be used during the hair coloring process.

henryreyenz
05-02-2011, 01:36 AM
A mistake that you can make is not preparing the hair before coloring it.Hair should be unwashed before coloring.Protect the clothes and skin from hair color stains.You should comb your hair first.You should brush it.Applied a wax prevents the hair dye from staining these areas.

enriqjames
07-28-2011, 07:20 AM
Protect your skin and hair color and clothing stains. Development of the cape and your underwear and clothing to protect skin and hair color. Comb your hair. You can prepare the color, you should brush and make sure it is tangle free. Let your hair dry comb to run through.

nells james
08-30-2011, 07:18 AM
The lock of hair (not much), and try on hair dye, first. By doing so, you can ensure that your hair will have a negative reaction of the dye, which may lead to your hair breakage.

rummy26
06-11-2013, 05:20 AM
The same day before coloring my hair i wash it as coloring needed fully clean hair.

Harris
02-28-2014, 10:57 PM
I used a hot oil hair treatment at least 3 days before coloring to condition and prepare your hair strands to take on your hair color.

qp88
03-09-2014, 09:47 AM
The same day before coloring my hair i wash it as coloring needed fully clean hair.

Very interesting, but my stylist usually says me to come with dirty hairs, as you wash off the protective natural fat hair.

hairplusbase
08-01-2014, 12:42 AM
I will give a deep conditioning to my hair. If my hair is in poor conditions, I will not have it coloured.