View Full Version : Kinky Twist

blkqueen1882
01-10-2009, 04:32 PM
OK, so I'm putting kinky twist in next week (next Sunday). Here's my plan for preparing my hair for my kinky twist and taking care of them while they're in. Please ladies, I'm posting this for advice:

Today, prepoo with EVOO
Shampoo with ORS aloe shampoo
DC with Aussie 3 minute conditioner
Use Aussie Moist conditioner
Use MT's AM for leave-in conditioner

In three-four days repeat but cowash w/o the shampoo instead

The day before braids use the aphogee's Two-Step Protein Treatment to make the hair strong for the braiding process.

After braid care:

Use MT's AM spray daily to moisturize on hair and not on the scalp. Use MT mixture to "oil" scalp every other day. Co-wash braids once a week to cut down on build up using the crown & glory method of sponging the braids.

After braid care:

Take braids out and have a professional do Aphogee two-step protein treatment and smooth the hair down. Style into "phony pony" for two-four weeks. Afterwards repeat the whole process if braidds did not damage the hair.

For summer I want to wear my hair down on the weekend and in buns during the week. I'm hoping that I am full SL on my way to APL by then.

CherriPepsi
01-11-2009, 11:48 AM
sounds good to me.

blkqueen1882
01-11-2009, 02:23 PM
sounds good to me.

Thanks but any suggestions? I"m worried about washing the braids that often since Ithink they will start to look tore up? Any suggestions there?

CherriPepsi
01-11-2009, 04:13 PM
Washing hair with braids was been a weird issue with me. I've used witch hazel for my scalp and stuck to at least braid spray for some moisturization.

blkqueen1882
01-14-2009, 01:16 AM
Well, it's been 5.5 weeks since my last relaxer and my new growth is really kicking in. It's screaming "look at me now!". Man, I can't wait to get my braids in. I must admit from all the extra care it's a lot softer and manageable than usual. Usually it's at that point where I would stop combing and just brush it since I'm use to getting touch-ups every 6-7 weeks. The braids are going to make this stretch so much easier but I'm scared to death of having another set back from bad braid care and from poor technical skills (usually from so-called professionals) when removing my braids. Wish me luck ladies and give a lot of support. I'm really going to need it!

curlcrew2
01-14-2009, 03:09 AM
Well, it's been 5.5 weeks since my last relaxer and my new growth is really kicking in. It's screaming "look at me now!". Man, I can't wait to get my braids in. I must admit from all the extra care it's a lot softer and manageable than usual. Usually it's at that point where I would stop combing and just brush it since I'm use to getting touch-ups every 6-7 weeks. The braids are going to make this stretch so much easier but I'm scared to death of having another set back from bad braid care and from poor technical skills (usually from so-called professionals) when removing my braids. Wish me luck ladies and give a lot of support. I'm really going to need it!
blkqueen, so how long is your hair now.... I would love to get something to that effect. Is kinky twists like braids... I have never wanted just the microbraids or nothing but I would like something that I could easily care for and at the same time get length.... I know trying to find a professional that can do the job right is frightening right by itself... After all we are trying to get healthier hair not damaged... Give me some info on your twists, sounds like something I might want to try....

blkqueen1882
01-14-2009, 08:11 PM
blkqueen, so how long is your hair now.... I would love to get something to that effect. Is kinky twists like braids... I have never wanted just the microbraids or nothing but I would like something that I could easily care for and at the same time get length.... I know trying to find a professional that can do the job right is frightening right by itself... After all we are trying to get healthier hair not damaged... Give me some info on your twists, sounds like something I might want to try....

Hi Girl!

My hair is in between NL and SL right now. The kinky twists are twists (two strands instead of braids which are three) that are twisted with crinkled hair. The ends are rolled and dipped in out water. The older the twist the better they look. Here's a picture me with them last time.

They're not as small as micros.

Brownsugar
01-15-2009, 05:34 PM
Blkqueen; Your regimen sounds good. I'm not sure how long you plan to leave the kinky twists in, but the challenge may be you washing yr hair so frequently. The twists will become loose & may start slipping/sliding out. Depending on how long you plan to leave them in, you may wish to consider washing yr hair once a wk. The daily moisturizing will help with keeping yr hair moisturized & soft (Hawaiian Silky 14 in 1 miracle worker's also Excellent f/moisturizing, softening & growing). The sponging method is also VERY good and should really assist w/preventing buildup. I'm planning to do something similar (maybe braids) and keep them in no longer than a wk. That way I can continue to co-wash & DC my hair. It also gives me an opportunity to evaluate any failures, progress or excessive breakage/shedding.

OK, so I'm putting kinky twist in next week (next Sunday). Here's my plan for preparing my hair for my kinky twist and taking care of them while they're in. Please ladies, I'm posting this for advice:

Today, prepoo with EVOO
Shampoo with ORS aloe shampoo
DC with Aussie 3 minute conditioner
Use Aussie Moist conditioner
Use MT's AM for leave-in conditioner

In three-four days repeat but cowash w/o the shampoo instead

The day before braids use the aphogee's Two-Step Protein Treatment to make the hair strong for the braiding process.

After braid care:

Use MT's AM spray daily to moisturize on hair and not on the scalp. Use MT mixture to "oil" scalp every other day. Co-wash braids once a week to cut down on build up using the crown & glory method of sponging the braids.

After braid care:

Take braids out and have a professional do Aphogee two-step protein treatment and smooth the hair down. Style into "phony pony" for two-four weeks. Afterwards repeat the whole process if braidds did not damage the hair.

For summer I want to wear my hair down on the weekend and in buns during the week. I'm hoping that I am full SL on my way to APL by then.

CherriPepsi
01-15-2009, 06:28 PM

Removing braids shouldn't be a MAJOR chore (although time consuming if you're going it alone). Just use some braid spray or water and use the end of a rat tail comb to slowly take lose the hair. Patience is a virtue and the key. If need be, use scissors to trim off the excess hair unless you're not sure where you're real hair is or you not an idiot of a risk taker like yours truly.

blkqueen1882
01-15-2009, 09:17 PM
Removing braids shouldn't be a MAJOR chore (although time consuming if you're going it alone). Just use some braid spray or water and use the end of a rat tail comb to slowly take lose the hair. Patience is a virtue and the key. If need be, use scissors to trim off the excess hair unless you're not sure where you're real hair is or you not an idiot of a risk taker like yours truly.

LOL...I'll have to do that next time. I never used any type of moisture while taking them out. Come to think of it, I'm pretty a real idiot for not doing that. Common sense would tell you that it would make them slip out. Anyway, I don't go anywhere near the sissors now when I have braids or twist in my hair. I had a braider cut some of my real hair because she assumed that my hair was the same length all over. HELLO, I didn't walk into her shop with a bowl cut! So I lost some length on the side before I told her to stop. :crying:

blkqueen1882
01-15-2009, 09:20 PM
Blkqueen; Your regimen sounds good. I'm not sure how long you plan to leave the kinky twists in, but the challenge may be you washing yr hair so frequently. The twists will become loose & may start slipping/sliding out. Depending on how long you plan to leave them in, you may wish to consider washing yr hair once a wk. The daily moisturizing will help with keeping yr hair moisturized & soft (Hawaiian Silky 14 in 1 miracle worker's also Excellent f/moisturizing, softening & growing). The sponging method is also VERY good and should really assist w/preventing buildup. I'm planning to do something similar (maybe braids) and keep them in no longer than a wk. That way I can continue to co-wash & DC my hair. It also gives me an opportunity to evaluate any failures, progress or excessive breakage/shedding.

Your only going to leave them in for a week??? Wow, that's a lot of money for a week. I hope you meant a month. Anyway, I'm going to keep them for 6-8 weeks. Once they start moving back and look ratty from the washing, they're going to go. I'll rock the phony pony after that for two weeks, probably get the phony pony or braid outs for another two weeks before I put the twist or another braid style back in.

I figure I'll rock this until the summer if my hair can tolerate the stretch. If I have too much shedding ( I know it will shed a lot when taking out the braids from daily shedding locked in the twist). Than I'm going to have to go back to the lye.

Brownsugar
01-16-2009, 10:49 AM
They'll be french braids and my niece does them so it won't be expensive. My hair really does do great being tied up f/so long & I can't comb & D/C it. I don't think it looks as fresh after a wk & can't be walking around a prof setting looking like I haven't done my hair! I switch it up also so I don't get so bored w/the same do. I'll be doing the phone pony & 3/4 wigs or something while I'm stretching. This will be the longest I've every stretched. I see more progress (i.e. growth) when I stretch vs. touching up every 6 wks. I think once you wash, moisturize, oil yr hair & tie it up, it will look fine (not as old as you think) but yr twists will definitely loosen.

Your only going to leave them in for a week??? Wow, that's a lot of money for a week. I hope you meant a month. Anyway, I'm going to keep them for 6-8 weeks. Once they start moving back and look ratty from the washing, they're going to go. I'll rock the phony pony after that for two weeks, probably get the phony pony or braid outs for another two weeks before I put the twist or another braid style back in.

I figure I'll rock this until the summer if my hair can tolerate the stretch. If I have too much shedding ( I know it will shed a lot when taking out the braids from daily shedding locked in the twist). Than I'm going to have to go back to the lye.

Dividir
01-17-2009, 06:20 AM
wow, it looks like you got the whole thing planned out.

Im gonna put kinky twists in (but after my exams, and one big uni link up rave!) unfortunately my hair will be in the twists on my birthday and valentines day, and probably at a spring ball im going to (which I am not too pleased about) but we'll find a solution!

Like your's, my hair is going to have a serious regieme, as its just easier when ur hair is braided or twisted.

I last relaxed my hair on december 12th. But it feel like a lot longer than that, and I just want to relax my hair again... but I have to be patients, kinky it up, so I can stretch a lil longer

blkqueen1882
01-17-2009, 10:36 PM
wow, it looks like you got the whole thing planned out.

Like your's, my hair is going to have a serious regieme, as its just easier when ur hair is braided or twisted.

I last relaxed my hair on december 12th. But it feel like a lot longer than that, and I just want to relax my hair again... but I have to be patients, kinky it up, so I can stretch a lil longer

Girl, I am right there with ya! My last relaxer was on December 6th and I am missing the lye right now. But I'm going to put in the twist and take care of it.

blkqueen1882
01-18-2009, 05:50 PM
OK, got my twist and they look great! I went to someone new and she did a much better job than my last braider.

CherriPepsi
01-18-2009, 08:08 PM
OK, got my twist and they look great! I went to someone new and she did a much better job than my last braider.

Great to hear. I'd love to put some in my hair but money's too tight to mention and I'm not that skilled with hair extensions to achieve the look I want.

blkqueen1882
01-18-2009, 08:23 PM
Great to hear. I'd love to put some in my hair but money's too tight to mention and I'm not that skilled with hair extensions to achieve the look I want.

Girl, I suck at styling my own hair. I could NEVER put in my own extensions. I'm broke as hell right now, but I figure in the long run I would've still spent more if I had kept my hair loose. If I continued to boycott professional hairdressers I needed to invest in a free standing hair dryer and a quality flat iron that will curl my ends as well. I figure that alone would cost me $300 bucks. Plus the cost of MORE hair products.

Or I could've continued going to my sh*tty hairdresser. Going to her for a touch-up would've cost me $70 bucks. Going to her every 2 weeks cost me $35. So in eight weeks I would've spent $210 AND I would've hated my hair after every visit. So either option the $200 I spent on the kinky twist saved me money.

Of course in the end I will buy the free standing hair dryer and the flat iron. But between now and summer I can slowly save up for it.

CherriPepsi
01-18-2009, 09:05 PM
Girl, I suck at styling my own hair. I could NEVER put in my own extensions. I'm broke as hell right now, but I figure in the long run I would've still spent more if I had kept my hair loose. If I continued to boycott professional hairdressers I needed to invest in a free standing hair dryer and a quality flat iron that will curl my ends as well. I figure that alone would cost me $300 bucks. Plus the cost of MORE hair products.

Or I could've continued going to my sh*tty hairdresser. Going to her for a touch-up would've cost me $70 bucks. Going to her every 2 weeks cost me $35. So in eight weeks I would've spent $210 AND I would've hated my hair after every visit. So either option the $200 I spent on the kinky twist saved me money.

Of course in the end I will buy the free standing hair dryer and the flat iron. But between now and summer I can slowly save up for it.

In the end, It's still cheaper for me to relax my hair and it's still not all that long enough for me to do that. At least I can catch my hair in braids. :D

Brownsugar
01-19-2009, 11:08 AM
Sounds like you made a wise decision, but seems like you may have to find a BETTER hairdresser? Why continue to go to her if you're not pleased w/the service? I realize you're taking a break right now but it's futile to give your very hard earned money to someone you're not happy with.

blkqueen1882
01-19-2009, 07:29 PM
Sounds like you made a wise decision, but seems like you may have to find a BETTER hairdresser? Why continue to go to her if you're not pleased w/the service? I realize you're taking a break right now but it's futile to give your very hard earned money to someone you're not happy with.

Nah, I'm not going back to her. I'm done with her. I hate trying out new hairdressers. One of the members here gave me a recommendation so we'll see. Right now I'm not thinking too much about it since it'll be a minute before I go back anyway.

Brownsugar
01-20-2009, 06:28 PM
Good! and I understand there's NO urgency. Hopefully, the new person will work out beautifully for you.

Nah, I'm not going back to her. I'm done with her. I hate trying out new hairdressers. One of the members here gave me a recommendation so we'll see. Right now I'm not thinking too much about it since it'll be a minute before I go back anyway.

missdriven
02-11-2009, 01:50 PM

So I just got my kinky twists in as well :) My new growth was so annoying before I got the twists in (going on about 6 weeks since relaxer, usually I go after 5). I put the twists in to stretch my relaxer time (money and healthy hair) and to grow from SL to APL. The twists really itch though and I'm beginning to get bumps on the nape of my neck (possibly because the twists are too tight? or the hair is iritating my scalp?) I've heard about using apple cider vinegar to cut down on the itch. Any suggestions about that? Thanks!

blkqueen1882
02-11-2009, 02:28 PM
So I just got my kinky twists in as well :) My new growth was so annoying before I got the twists in (going on about 6 weeks since relaxer, usually I go after 5). I put the twists in to stretch my relaxer time (money and healthy hair) and to grow from SL to APL. The twists really itch though and I'm beginning to get bumps on the nape of my neck (possibly because the twists are too tight? or the hair is iritating my scalp?) I've heard about using apple cider vinegar to cut down on the itch. Any suggestions about that? Thanks!

I think your twist are too tight and that's why you have the bumps. I would get the ones close to the bumps re-twisted ASAP. Last time I had twist and developed those bumps my twist actually broke off. That was the weak hair that it was attached too broke off from the root.

I heard the ACV wash but that was suppose to be done on the hair prior to the twist being put in. I'm not sure if I would do it after. Of course ACV is healthy to put in the hair but since you can't DC afterward, it might dry out your hair. I wouldn't want to make my hair weak in this state.

It looks like we have very similar goals. To stretch our relaxers when we were both getting them early and to go from SL to APL next. Welcome to the forum!

missdriven
02-16-2009, 08:24 AM
Ironically I didn't get your reply until this morning and I used the ACV last night. And actually part of my hair is still not done! (my friend's doing them and with both of our schedules it's taking forever to put these things in!) So I used my regular regimen of washing (clarifying shampoo, then moisturizing shampoo, followed by a moisturizing conditioner) sponge washing the twists and then used the ACV as a final rinse and then rinsed it out. I used Profectiv moisturizing lotion and then braid spray. My scalp definitely itches less, the extension hair feels less dry, and my hair (the hair that's not twisted yet) feels soft and moisturized. I'll try using the ACV on the rest of the extension hair before she puts it in and let you know how it goes.
Another question though, I saw somewhere else that they suggested using infusium 23 strengthener and braid spray with extensions. Have you tried this?

I think your twist are too tight and that's why you have the bumps. I would get the ones close to the bumps re-twisted ASAP. Last time I had twist and developed those bumps my twist actually broke off. That was the weak hair that it was attached too broke off from the root.

I heard the ACV wash but that was suppose to be done on the hair prior to the twist being put in. I'm not sure if I would do it after. Of course ACV is healthy to put in the hair but since you can't DC afterward, it might dry out your hair. I wouldn't want to make my hair weak in this state.

It looks like we have very similar goals. To stretch our relaxers when we were both getting them early and to go from SL to APL next. Welcome to the forum!

blkqueen1882
02-16-2009, 07:14 PM
I saw somewhere else that they suggested using infusium 23 strengthener and braid spray with extensions. Have you tried this?

Yes, I do switch back and forth between using infusium 23 strengthener as a protein moisturizer each other day and a braid spray on the other days to keep my hair moisturized and strong from the protein. I do that each night before going to bed.

I also use Avocado Mist in the morning which I thought was a moisturizer but I think it's actually a protein moisturizer. Oh well, I love the way it smells.

cutecarmel
02-28-2009, 09:53 PM
Seems like a good idea to me. When I have braids I wash a little less often than once every week.

Wearing you hair down would be good if you were wearing a shirt with no back, so it doesn't rub against your clothes.

I'm getting braids soon too, so this site might help some if you haven't already seen it.

Black Hair Care---Braid Extensions---How To Care For Them (http://www.growafrohairlong.com/braidreg.html)

blkqueen1882
03-07-2009, 10:27 AM
Seems like a good idea to me. When I have braids I wash a little less often than once every week.

Wearing you hair down would be good if you were wearing a shirt with no back, so it doesn't rub against your clothes.

I'm getting braids soon too, so this site might help some if you haven't already seen it.

Black Hair Care---Braid Extensions---How To Care For Them (http://www.growafrohairlong.com/braidreg.html)

Wearing back-less shirts wouldn't be appropriate for my lifestyle. Work and such as well as the weather right now. It's been fine wearing my hair down and I enjoy the look but now I'm ready to get the twist out and have a different look so I'm back to the salon next Saturday.

missdriven
03-09-2009, 07:15 AM
I started using the infusium a couple of weeks ago so now I use the infusium every other day and spray with the braidspray everynight and mornings that I don't use the infusium. I've been using the crown and glory technique to wash them and I'm very pleased with the appearance they've kept. They've been in for about a month now and they don't look fuzzy at all.

pinkcotton
03-09-2009, 03:21 PM
I hear you ladies speaking on the hair itching on your scalp once braided and causing irritation. The hair we use for braiding, (kanekalon, tokoyalon, synthetic and all these artificial fibers, contain Alkaline. so If you wear a relaxer is would cause breakage and irritation because of the extra alkaline. to reduce irritation and breakage, you should.

1. Take the hair used for braiding out of the package,un loosen the rubber band from the botton so the hair is free but keep the one at the top in tack.

2. fill the sink with warm water

3. add a half of cup of ACV to the water

4. emmerse the hair into the solution and let soak.

5. repeat this process about 3 times, or until all the alkaline is removed from the synthetic hair.(you will see the alkaline in the sink its white and thick)

6. fill sink with clean water, and rinse the hair off completely
7. Add moisturizer of your choice to the hair, and hang out to air dry (i put mines on a hanger and let dry) it takes about 3 hours to dry, completely.

I hope this helps.