View Full Version : Damaged ???

Caribbean Gyal
12-30-2008, 07:18 PM
How can you tell that your hair has been damaged ?

Tall, Black Canadian
12-31-2008, 12:48 PM
One method I heard was to place your hair in a glass of water and if it floats, it's healthy, and if it sinks, it's extremely porous and unhealthy. It's best to do this before putting heavy oils on your hair because the results may be a false positive. I haven't tried it because my hair always has some type of oil on it. Maybe after a shampoo?

denalove
12-31-2008, 12:52 PM
Another good indicator is extreme dryness or brittle....when my hair was damaged, that was my red flag. Also breakage occurs more when damaged.

denalove
12-31-2008, 01:08 PM
These are some more...I found from google:
Rough Texture
Overly Porous
Dry and Brittle to the Touch
No Elasticity/Susceptible to Breakage
Becomes Spongy and Matted when Wet
Color Fades or Absorbs too Rapidly

Vermelha
12-31-2008, 02:52 PM
For natural hair, if you find a mass of excessive tangles while detangling, this is a strong indicator of damaged ends. Shed natural hairs like to 'latch' onto each other and it's when you detangle or blowdry that you actually see natural damage.

Also, do you feel knots on the ends. That is damaged hair too. Hair being constantly pulled has tension at the knots. The knot must be removed.

Queenp001
01-01-2009, 08:20 PM
run your fingers through your hair and if you have snapped pieces of hair then its definetly damaged

Tall, Black Canadian
01-01-2009, 09:04 PM
Just came across this one in Essence. Take a small section of hair and back comb (tease) it. If the hair bunches immediately it is damaged/too porous. If it bunches up just a little or not at all, the hair is healthy/less porous. I tried this, and the hair gathers a bit then falls back, so I'm not too porous. I'm not certain how effective a test this is or Natural sisters like yourself.

Vermelha
01-02-2009, 07:33 AM
Just came across this one in Essence. Take a small section of hair and back comb (tease) it. If the hair bunches immediately it is damaged/too porous. If it bunches up just a little or not at all, the hair is healthy/less porous. I tried this, and the hair gathers a bit then falls back, so I'm not too porous. I'm not certain how effective a test this is or Natural sisters like yourself.

?????
Hair always bunches when you tease it. That's the reason for teasing, to give volume and thickness...Teasing is for people with straighter, thinner hair with no volume so they can wear pomps and fuller hairstyles. And no, teasing should never be done on naturals. And yes, teasing causes damage cause it lifts back the hair cuticle :eek:. Just trying to prevent any tangles or damage, tis all.

Vermelha
01-02-2009, 07:33 AM
I'm surprised that that would even be in Essence....
Who is their hair expert!?

Vermelha
01-02-2009, 07:36 AM
These are some more...I found from google:
Rough Texture
Overly Porous
Dry and Brittle to the Touch
No Elasticity/Susceptible to Breakage
Becomes Spongy and Matted when Wet
Color Fades or Absorbs too Rapidly

Naturally curly/Afro hair, when healthy, is supposed to be somewhat spongy. AA hair, especially 4a/4b hair is almost always spongy, and that's when it's in good shape. I'm sure this isn't good for people with caucasian hair types, but for us, it's kinda supposed to be that way.

Caribbean Gyal
01-02-2009, 09:49 AM
Naturally curly/Afro hair, when healthy, is supposed to be somewhat spongy. AA hair, especially 4a/4b hair is almost always spongy, and that's when it's in good shape. I'm sure this isn't good for people with caucasian hair types, but for us, it's kinda supposed to be that way.

*Few*, I got a little scared there for a moment. :)

And thnx alot for all your help girls !
This is why I love y'all so much ! ! ! :D

Vermelha
01-02-2009, 12:59 PM
*Few*, I got a little scared there for a moment. :)

And thnx alot for all your help girls !
This is why I love y'all so much ! ! ! :D

Awww!!!!! We <3 You too!!!

Tall, Black Canadian
01-02-2009, 01:53 PM
?????
Hair always bunches when you tease it. That's the reason for teasing, to give volume and thickness...Teasing is for people with straighter, thinner hair with no volume so they can wear pomps and fuller hairstyles. And no, teasing should never be done on naturals. And yes, teasing causes damage cause it lifts back the hair cuticle :eek:. Just trying to prevent any tangles or damage, tis all.

Hair doesn't always bunch when teased which is the point. I teased my hair and it fell back, didn't stay bunched up. I would have to back comb like crazy to get it really teased, and in the process damage my hair. Hair that is damaged has a rasied cuticle, making it easier for the hair to stay bunched, unlike healthy hair which has a smooth cuticle so there is nothing for the hair to latch on to. I included this test for CG but also anybody else who may have found it a useful test. All hair types are reading or will read these posts at some point.

Tall, Black Canadian
01-02-2009, 01:57 PM
I'm surprised that that would even be in Essence....
Who is their hair expert!?

The article was written in 2005 by Editor in Cheif Patricia Hinds. I have no idea the level of her expertise, but it apparently was part of a book with several contributors. I found the writeup in the library reference section with other articles regarding black hair.

Queensheba
01-08-2009, 02:43 PM
Confused wow I just kno that I have fluffy hair even tho um texlaxed I was wonder if my hair is damaged

Vermelha
01-08-2009, 06:00 PM
Hair doesn't always bunch when teased which is the point. I teased my hair and it fell back, didn't stay bunched up. I would have to back comb like crazy to get it really teased, and in the process damage my hair. Hair that is damaged has a rasied cuticle, making it easier for the hair to stay bunched, unlike healthy hair which has a smooth cuticle so there is nothing for the hair to latch on to. I included this test for CG but also anybody else who may have found it a useful test. All hair types are reading or will read these posts at some point.

Oh yeah.... lol... I forgot that damaged hair bunches cause it is damaged.... My bad, lol.... Healthy hair is smooth so that makes sense.

I keep thinking about naturally curly hair, which always bunches whatever you do.

Tall, Black Canadian
01-08-2009, 09:41 PM
Oh yeah.... lol... I forgot that damaged hair bunches cause it is damaged.... My bad, lol.... Healthy hair is smooth so that makes sense.

I keep thinking about naturally curly hair, which always bunches whatever you do.

Yeah, I guess this really isn't the greatest test for natural hair unless it is straightened or naturally 2 or 3a. :rolleyes: As a natural, i guess you've really got to pay attention to your hair so you can tell when there is a problem early on.

Vermelha
01-08-2009, 10:36 PM
Yeah, I guess this really isn't the greatest test for natural hair unless it is straightened or naturally 2 or 3a. :rolleyes: As a natural, i guess you've really got to pay attention to your hair so you can tell when there is a problem early on.

Say that again!
Lots of naturals wait until their hair gets longer and starts having tangles and those knots on the ends. I did that when I first went natural and I regretted having to cut it off.

You have to just know your hair. That's one of the main reasons for going natural; health and knowing when your hair is healthy.

vidgrl007
01-09-2009, 05:23 PM
omg I used to tease my hair back in the day and it still cringes every time I look at my ratt comb(yes I still have it but don't use it)

Check to see if it floats-that means it's healthy

Run your fingers through it now depending if you have really curly hair or not you should be able to get your fingers through.

Does your hair feel brittle or do you hear snapping?not good put moisture in hair lol.

These are just some guidelines hth:).