View Full Version : Caring for hair under a wig??

sheshe
03-23-2008, 04:54 PM
Is there a category on here for wigs?? What is the best way to take care of your hair under a wig? What is the maximum you once should stay wearing a wig at without letting your hair breathe?

denalove
03-24-2008, 06:52 PM
Use a good moisturizer and leave in conditioner. The worst thing to allow is your hair to get dry under there. You want to keep it moisturized and clean too. Wash every week, no longer than two weeks without a wash. I would suggest letting it breath periodically instead of staying bald up under there for so long. Do you braid your hair under the wig or just bald it up. Wow, I hope you don't just let it go, that may really cause even more damage to your hair.

Dividir
04-01-2008, 03:31 PM
Your hair drys up very quickly when you where a wig. I wore an afro wig for one night out, and my hair was extremely dry afterwards (yes I wore a cap)

Since its a wig, you can easily access your hair/ scalp. Make sure you moisturise daily (or what suits you)

Don't wear it when you dont need to

try not to sleep in it

Use leave in conditioners.

And do a moisture Deep conditioner, @leasr every fortnight

sheshe
04-10-2008, 05:31 PM
Thank you ladies. I am giving my hair a breather from wigs right now and wearing it in a short cut. I'll probaby do a lace front next.

Sunshyne
04-11-2008, 12:33 AM
lace fronts are great! I baggy under mine and my ends are moistttttt

denalove
04-11-2008, 08:18 AM
Sunshyne, do u pay alot for your lacefronts??

Sunshyne
04-17-2008, 08:18 PM
Sunshyne, do u pay alot for your lacefronts??

no not at all...normally around $200-230..

Dividir
04-19-2008, 09:02 AM
Sunshyne, do you get your from an american vendor? or Chinese ...?

Miss D
05-08-2008, 09:17 PM
Under my wigs I braid up my hair after a good wash and deep condition! This keeps my hair moist as well as greasing my scalp with a tip applicator! Hair~Am Custom Lace Front Wigs (http://www.APrincesspalace.com)

Sunshyne
05-09-2008, 09:33 PM
Sunshyne, do you get your from an american vendor? or Chinese ...?

Chinese vendor! I go on BHM for vendor info and order from there....very simple process..

Dividir
05-12-2008, 05:42 AM
Chinese vendor! I go on BHM for vendor info and order from there....very simple process..

yea snap

who was your vendor?

Carolinagirl_22
09-18-2008, 12:41 PM
I'm really thinking about getting a lace front but I don't know about leaving it on for soooo long thats too much for me. Can you take it off weekly if you want? or bi-weekly? And if you baggy it underneath doesn't it get stinky?

for real
11-05-2008, 08:45 PM
I may sound dumb but what does baggy it underneath mean?

for real
11-05-2008, 08:46 PM
Is wearing a lace front better than wearing a weave as far as growing your own hair?

brittbritt
03-04-2009, 05:16 PM
I used to braid my hair under wigs, otherwise my hair will tangle and become matted. I noticed my hair became much dryer and required that I took better care of my hair and the moisture content.

prettykinks
04-22-2009, 08:33 AM
I always put my hair in cornrows and keep it moist and put on a cap.

1nicelady
05-22-2009, 10:36 AM
try a lace front wig. Cornrow your hair under the wig. The lace front wig is not tight around the head and they look more natural than other wigs. My hair comes to my back now. PinkLaceWigs.com for your lace wig.

brittbritt
05-23-2009, 07:42 AM
I always had this question when I used to wear wigs. I braided my hair under it with either individuals or cornrows. It got to the point wear my hair was longer than some of the wigs I wore. I couldn't just slap my hair under it. It looked big and bulky like a cone head. I'm thinking this summer I'll get a super short wig like an old halle berry cut. I think it'll be cute and something different for me. I need a protective style so I can keep my hands outta my hair!!!

Dividir
05-29-2009, 08:22 AM
Is wearing a lace front better than wearing a weave as far as growing your own hair?

IMO yes!

Just because with weaves you brush and comb your weave, and because it is attached to your hair, you are exerting stress to your own hair, and maybe pulling it from the roots!

With most types of lace wig applications (and normal wigs) the wig isn't actually attached to your hair, but instead stuck down to your skin with glues, or tapes (usually made for skin) As long as you don't stick the adhesive to you hair, you should have no problem with pulling out or stressing any of your hair!

I'm really thinking about getting a lace front but I don't know about leaving it on for soooo long thats too much for me. Can you take it off weekly if you want? or bi-weekly? And if you baggy it underneath doesn't it get stinky?

You can take you lacefront off weekly/ bi-weekly.
You'll just spend more money on adhesives. You will also have to be very careful when removing the lacefront as not to tear it, as it can be very delicate. If it rips you will either have to spend money getting it repaired or buying a new one

I always had this question when I used to wear wigs. I braided my hair under it with either individuals or cornrows. It got to the point wear my hair was longer than some of the wigs I wore. I couldn't just slap my hair under it. It looked big and bulky like a cone head. I'm thinking this summer I'll get a super short wig like an old halle berry cut. I think it'll be cute and something different for me. I need a protective style so I can keep my hands outta my hair!!!

I heard that some people wrap their hair underneath wigs, and lace fronts, as to avoid bumps in the wrong places, you could give it a try!!

passmeashovel
07-15-2009, 06:04 PM
I LOVE wearing wigs! It gives you the flexibility to be able to work out, as well as simply change your hairstyle without paying a ton or permanently altering your real hair!

When I wear my wig, (I usually do long stretches to give my hair a break), I wash and DEEP condition every sunday. I leave about an inch of my hair out in the front, then I put in four big french braids while it's still wet, going to the back. I pin the ends up with a bobby pin, so they're not left out. Then I let the front air dry (you can put big rollers in it and it'll come out almost straight), and lightly go over it with a flatiron the next day so that it's as straight as the wig.

I comb and brush my hair and the wig hair for the final blend. It's the best~!

-The Sphinx

Is there a category on here for wigs?? What is the best way to take care of your hair under a wig? What is the maximum you once should stay wearing a wig at without letting your hair breathe?

Bodybutter
07-15-2009, 08:02 PM
I wore wigs for two years as I transitioned. I shampooed either con poo or regular every 3-4 days, deep conditioned every poo, kept my hair twisted or braided beneath, used a wig cap and kept a close eye on any possible hair problems. I rarely wore wigs on weekends, I used silk scarves, hats or ugly experimental twists out in public. I did not suffer hair loss or problems..wore them shorter styles in NYC humid, hot summers with no problems.