View Full Version : Tips To Stop Breakage

Pages : [1] 2

CREODiiVA
12-12-2008, 08:25 PM
How To Stop Hair Breakage !

Hair breaks when certain points in it thicken or weaken. This can take place near the scalp; in this case you will not be able to grow long hair. If your hair breaks at its ends, then you have split ends.

Causes of Hair Breakage

A big cause of hair breakage is improper use of chemical treatments, such as coloring, and perming.

If you brush or comb your hair too often or in the wrong way, this can lead to breakage. Hair extensions and braids can cause hair breakage as well. The problem can also be caused by a medical problem, like hypothyroidism, an eating disorder or deficiency in some vitamins.

How to Stop Hair Breakage
Try the following tips to stop breakage:

- Keep your hair moisturized. Your hair needs moisture, particularly when it is exposed to chemical treatments and heat appliances. Deep condition your hair, at least once per week.

- Use the right conditioner. Leave in conditioners are excellent. You can also use an all natural hair lotion.

- Shampoo your hair regularly. You should wash your hair at least once per week. Do not use cheap shampoos. It is best to use all natural hair care products that contain natural oils.

- Pay attention to the ends of your hair. If you notice split ends, cut them off immediately because splits can go all the way up your hair shaft.

- Wear a style that doesn’t cause too much stress.

- Among various natural remedies for hair breakage, some people swear by mayo. Just spread the mayo on your hair and let it sit for about half an hour before you rinse it off.

More tips to avoid hair breakage:

- Comb your hair once daily.

- Use large tooth combs.

- Use a baby brush for smoothing your edges.
- Avoid using excessive heat. Use curling irons and blow dryers only when necessary.

- Sleep in a satin cap or on a satin pillow case.

- Take vitamins to help hair breakage: vitamin C, vitamin E and silica.

DanceKendra
12-12-2008, 09:14 PM
Good Info girly. That's a tough battle for me. It has gotten alot better. I wish that I had no breakage at all.

Cassie
12-14-2008, 11:48 AM
thanks for the great info!

CREODiiVA
12-14-2008, 01:45 PM
Good Info girly. That's a tough battle for me. It has gotten alot better. I wish that I had no breakage at all.

Well If you comb less That will always help ..What hairstyles do you wear ?

CREODiiVA
12-14-2008, 01:46 PM
thanks for the great info!

You Welcome..Im working on Finding More Info For you all..But That should have you covered till then ..

antoinette
12-14-2008, 02:16 PM
So true!!!!!!

Brownsugar
12-14-2008, 06:57 PM
Good Info. Thx CREO!!!

HairObsessed
12-14-2008, 07:32 PM
Good looking out Creo! I find when I hold off relaxing my hair it breaks like CRAZY... once I do my touch up everything stays on my head. Go figure? I waited a good inch till I relaxed it. (the longest I have ever waited and now it looks kosher again!)

evanny
12-14-2008, 10:45 PM
Great post. :)

CREODiiVA
12-15-2008, 05:03 AM
Good looking out Creo! I find when I hold off relaxing my hair it breaks like CRAZY... once I do my touch up everything stays on my head. Go figure? I waited a good inch till I relaxed it. (the longest I have ever waited and now it looks kosher again!)

GREAT JOB ..Yu Really do see better results like that ..I never understood why ppl Relaxed every Couple of weeks

munchy
12-15-2008, 05:54 AM
Thanks for the info as well. :)

wstephanie
12-16-2008, 10:18 AM
Excellent info! I will add use aphogee 2 minute reconstructor, green tea restructerizer and provitamin leave-in. These products stop breakage in it's tracks. They help to instantly repair breakage.

leentora
12-16-2008, 02:33 PM
Excellent Post Chica, thanks hun for the tips ;)

getitgirl
12-17-2008, 12:38 AM
I need some good hair products for my 12 yo daughter. She has been experiencing some breakage. I made a mistake and let my stylist put a relaxer in her hair. But, now I just need to find some good products to thicken and get it back healthy. Any comments welcome.

Vermelha
12-17-2008, 09:38 AM
I need some good hair products for my 12 yo daughter. She has been experiencing some breakage. I made a mistake and let my stylist put a relaxer in her hair. But, now I just need to find some good products to thicken and get it back healthy. Any comments welcome.

She needs a thick, creamy product to protect those ends and her roots as well. After she gets a relaxer, try using Profectiv MegaGrowth conditioning creme. I love their line of shampoos and conditioners too. I used this during my last relaxer years ago. Also, Profectiv makes a MegaGrowth Deep Conditioner that's great too. She'll need lots of deep conditioning now that she has relaxed hair.

Make sure she's not getting heat styling done often and resort to rollersets at her salon if she wants a cute style to wear throughout the week. Rollers (not the velcro ones that tear the hair out) are great. Avoid using blowdryers, flat irons and curling irons. The safest heat styling is sitting under a hair dryer or setting her hair at night and wearing it in the morning.

Also, wrapping the hair (making sure the hair is nicely oiled), is a great way to protect ends too. Someone here can explain how to wrap hair if you don't already know (since I rarely did it, but it works nicely).

I hope that helps! My stylist talked my mom into getting me one years ago and my mom was quite angry. But it's nothing wrong with relaxers. They just require lots of care in behind it. If you're ever thinking about transitioning her to her natural state, I can help too. But both relaxed hair and natural hair are OK, just with lots of care.

angel_hair
12-17-2008, 10:28 AM
Thanks for the info. your a great value to this board!

angel_hair
12-17-2008, 10:42 AM
Excellent info! I will add use aphogee 2 minute reconstructor, green tea restructerizer and provitamin leave-in. These products stop breakage in it's tracks. They help to instantly repair breakage.

I can ditto the Aphogee 2 minute reconstructor, and I also used the moisture balancer made by Aphogee as well that was suggested. It HELPED.

Mz. JJ
12-18-2008, 12:18 AM
Great post, Creo. Shedding has always been a constant battle for me. Recently I started using Aphogee 2 min reconstructor and this has helped decrease my shedding so has Joico K-pak.

annahs28
12-21-2008, 09:44 AM
great post, i learned soemthing new! :-))

mailinda
12-22-2008, 06:45 PM
Hi all, newbie here (only my 11th post .. workin on it!!) :p

I have great hair (and yes, I use mineral oil in my products and my hair loves it!!! I think it all depends on your hair type .... I'm vietnamese / black).

Well, I went to my stylist for a relaxer about three weeks ago (I go every 3-4 months - I'm blessed with that because of my mixed heritage) ... and she noticed that only the TOP of my hair was broken .... and it wasn't like that before.

She thought it was the pony tail from my scrunchie .. but I knew that wasn't it because I've done that for YEARS to my hair and never a problem - it just wasn't logical - nothing had changed.

So I went home with instructions to lighten up on the scrunchie - I told her fine but still wasn't buyin' it.

Then I thought to myself .. the damage was only the first layer of my hair - the part exposed to air .. there was no damage inside the hair. So ... it wasn't my shampoo or even the pony tail.)

I deduced that the onle logical thing that would touch my only the exterior of my hair was my pillow .. my satin pillow ...

When I looked ... what to my wondering eyes did appear??:eek: (bet you thought I was gonna say sumptin' about Santa and some reindeer??)

Well, close. But it turns out that on further inspection, my five month old satin pillow had basically, well, SHREDDED ... When you ran your hands across it it felt scratchy .. almost like razor blades.

The pillow was worn out and I didn't know it and was totally oblivious to it!!!! I looked closer and the once smooth satin was "pulled" tight all over the pillow ... run your palms across the "tight" spots and it felt like razor blade.

Gee .... the top of my pillow - fully satin - was basically "cutting" my hair as I slept.

So ladies - GO CHECK YOUR PILLOW and from now on, I get a new pillow EVERY SINGLE TIME I get a relaxer!! It reminds me that way to replace it every 90 days.... it's only $8 and I'm worth it!!

I hope this helps someone else!!

munchy
12-23-2008, 06:35 AM
I think that I'm going to get a sew in for about a month, maybe next month b/c of the cold. Creo, when you wear your weaves do you still wash underneath it once a week? and how do you manage your hair underneath?

Kee
12-23-2008, 06:59 PM
I have just started using something that has my hair so soft and absolutely no more breaking; I am thrilled? It is 100% Glycerin. I bought it at Walgreens, which carries two types.
1. Walgreens Brand and 2. Africare, which is kosher with no animal fat, I just love it. I just cannot get over in how a few days my hair has stopped breaking, the shine is outstanding and the softness just can't be put in words. I am in heaven.

blkqueen1882
12-23-2008, 10:07 PM
I didn't know that walgreens carried glycerin. I am on my way! My old braid spray is just not doing the job.

HairMaiden
12-25-2008, 04:33 PM
Thanks, the vitamin C tip was really helpful!

YellowRose66
12-27-2008, 12:56 PM
Excellent information. Thank you for the post.

blkqueen1882
12-27-2008, 04:26 PM
Grr...can't find africare at my local walgreens.

HairObsessed
12-27-2008, 08:07 PM
Vitamin C as well as Fish Oil pills are the TRUTH. My hair is growing faster than before I used vitamins.

Queensheba
12-29-2008, 04:43 PM
thanx for the info

Becky
12-29-2008, 04:49 PM
Thanks for the info.

Bodybutter
12-29-2008, 06:33 PM
Excellent advice.

Raven QT
12-30-2008, 08:55 AM
Thanks for the info, I tend to have breakage towards the ends of my hair, it just gets so dry at times.

relaxedgemini
12-31-2008, 02:03 PM
I have started to do most of those ... especially that satin wrap ... I will put one on even if I'm just gonna catch a quick nap.

ronnita
01-04-2009, 09:47 PM
breakage is a big problem for me. I do use heat at least once or twice a week. What hair styles can I do to reduce that?

blkqueen1882
01-05-2009, 12:08 AM
breakage is a big problem for me. I do use heat at least once or twice a week. What hair styles can I do to reduce that?

Buns, phony ponies, wash and go's, braids (minus micros), and weaves. Any protective hair style really.

doremie13
01-05-2009, 03:31 PM
But it turns out that on further inspection, my five month old satin pillow had basically, well, SHREDDED ... When you ran your hands across it it felt scratchy .. almost like razor blades.

The pillow was worn out and I didn't know it and was totally oblivious to it!!!! I looked closer and the once smooth satin was "pulled" tight all over the pillow ... run your palms across the "tight" spots and it felt like razor blade.

Gee .... the top of my pillow - fully satin - was basically "cutting" my hair as I slept.

I am having the same problem with breakage and was suspecting my pillowcase as well. I've just been lazy about buying another one. Thank you so much for pushing me. I've also noticed broken hair on my headrest in my car. :eek: I need to find a way to cover this up, too...

Queen1
01-07-2009, 10:33 PM
This is really good information, thanks Creo!

Lilshortnsassy
01-09-2009, 10:12 PM
So ladies - GO CHECK YOUR PILLOW and from now on, I get a new pillow EVERY SINGLE TIME I get a relaxer!! It reminds me that way to replace it every 90 days.... it's only $8 and I'm worth it!!

I hope this helps someone else!![/QUOTE]

This is a great idea =D>Applause

mssnu
01-09-2009, 10:35 PM
Oh My Gosh. Thank you for the info. This is invaluable. Good lookin' out!!!

I have great hair (and yes, I use mineral oil in my products and my hair loves it!!! I think it all depends on your hair type .... I'm vietnamese / black).

Well, I went to my stylist for a relaxer about three weeks ago (I go every 3-4 months - I'm blessed with that because of my mixed heritage) ... and she noticed that only the TOP of my hair was broken .... and it wasn't like that before.

She thought it was the pony tail from my scrunchie .. but I knew that wasn't it because I've done that for YEARS to my hair and never a problem - it just wasn't logical - nothing had changed.

So I went home with instructions to lighten up on the scrunchie - I told her fine but still wasn't buyin' it.

Then I thought to myself .. the damage was only the first layer of my hair - the part exposed to air .. there was no damage inside the hair. So ... it wasn't my shampoo or even the pony tail.)

I deduced that the onle logical thing that would touch my only the exterior of my hair was my pillow .. my satin pillow ...

When I looked ... what to my wondering eyes did appear??:eek: (bet you thought I was gonna say sumptin' about Santa and some reindeer??)

Well, close. But it turns out that on further inspection, my five month old satin pillow had basically, well, SHREDDED ... When you ran your hands across it it felt scratchy .. almost like razor blades.

mssnu
01-09-2009, 10:38 PM
I have a nylon hair bonnet that I got at Walmart that I like very much. It is very kind to my hair. Until you find somthing better throw one of those on your headrest.

I am having the same problem with breakage and was suspecting my pillowcase as well. I've just been lazy about buying another one. Thank you so much for pushing me. I've also noticed broken hair on my headrest in my car. :eek: I need to find a way to cover this up, too...

Lilshortnsassy
01-09-2009, 11:27 PM

Maybe try a satin bonnet on the headrest, you know the one with the elastic band, jus a suggestion, hope it helps:o

Lilshortnsassy
01-09-2009, 11:29 PM
I have a nylon hair bonnet that I got at Walmart that I like very much. It is very kind to my hair. Until you find somthing better throw one of those on your headrest.

I guess great minds think alike ;)

doremie13
01-10-2009, 11:41 AM
Maybe try a satin bonnet on the headrest, you know the one with the elastic band, jus a suggestion, hope it helps:o

Yes, thank you both for the suggestions. You should see me trying to drive with my head tilted to keep it from touching the headrest... :p

Greenwood2010
01-15-2009, 05:11 PM

Hair breaks when certain points in it thicken or weaken. This can take place near the scalp; in this case you will not be able to grow long hair. If your hair breaks at its ends, then you have split ends.

Causes of Hair Breakage

A big cause of hair breakage is improper use of chemical treatments, such as coloring, and perming.

If you brush or comb your hair too often or in the wrong way, this can lead to breakage. Hair extensions and braids can cause hair breakage as well. The problem can also be caused by a medical problem, like hypothyroidism, an eating disorder or deficiency in some vitamins.

- Keep your hair moisturized. Your hair needs moisture, particularly when it is exposed to chemical treatments and heat appliances. Deep condition your hair, at least once per week.

- Use the right conditioner. Leave in conditioners are excellent. You can also use an all natural hair lotion.

- Shampoo your hair regularly. You should wash your hair at least once per week. Do not use cheap shampoos. It is best to use all natural hair care products that contain natural oils.

- Pay attention to the ends of your hair. If you notice split ends, cut them off immediately because splits can go all the way up your hair shaft.

- Among various natural remedies for hair breakage, some people swear by mayo. Just spread the mayo on your hair and let it sit for about half an hour before you rinse it off.

- Use large tooth combs.

- Avoid using excessive heat. Use curling irons and blow dryers only when necessary.

What shampoos and conditioners do you recommend?

aliezaria
01-20-2009, 08:17 PM
thanx great tips to follow

aliezaria
01-20-2009, 08:18 PM
what do recommend to re-grow edges?

Vermelha
01-21-2009, 03:08 PM

Stop brushing the hair. Period. Also, oiling the hair around this area while limiting brushing can also help regrow this area. If you need to lay down edges, take some pomade/gel, smooth it on the edges and tie a scarf down. Just avoid brushes. But if that doesn't work, invest in a baby brush, which is much gentler than boar bristle.

munchy
01-22-2009, 11:15 AM

You can also try Dr. Miracle's Strengthening creme. From experience, my edges are growing as full as the rest of my hair. Apply everyday to your scalp and edges and nape. Also make sure that you gently massage your edges as well, everyday!!!

todaysblackgirl
01-22-2009, 04:11 PM
great post great post. i have so much moisture back into my hair than a month ago due to that wrecked perm. ive just been babying my hair and waiting on my carols daughters products. but until then, im gonna try the mayo this weekend. thank you thank you.

Gracie
01-23-2009, 03:27 AM
Hey Guys....

Im new to this site... Just joined up so I could help promote my new web-store which I have just started up - Its called Loveafrocosmetics and we are based in the UK but deliver World-Wide! Please go and take a look - we stock ALL major Afro skin and hair brands at remarkable LOW prices!

Go check it out at loveafrocosmetics dot com now! We stock loads of hair products especially made for hair which easily breaks, and lacks nutrition - take a look!

Thanks
Gracie xx

jjiles
01-29-2009, 07:24 PM
Very informative thanks

cutecarmel
02-03-2009, 09:12 PM
These are very great tips! I have also heard that drinking lots of water and taking mulitvitamins can help too. I'm trying that and I hope it works for me.

Young1
04-16-2009, 11:41 PM
That is waht happened to one side of my hair...One day i was in dear need of a perm and too impatient to wait two days to see the beautician I always go to. So I went in and saw the one who has a station next to hers....this chic fucked my hair up and I shoulda known something was up when she tried to get me to cut my hair extra short...the reason was that she had cut my hair uneven and left certain parts of my hair not even cut but with split ends. My split end took over and my hair went to hell...now im getting back on track to getttin my hair back to the way it was

Salon St. Petersburg
04-17-2009, 02:28 AM
Good tips for stop hair breakage. Thanks for sharing helpful information.

Brendita
04-17-2009, 03:37 AM
Have any of you ladies ever cut your hair short just for a new style? My hair is "dusting" my shoulders". It's been this length for quite some time, as I just get trims every few months. I am thinking about going super duper short (like maybe 2 or 3 inches) for the summer.... just for a change, ya know? Has any one ever done this or do you only get a short short cut to get rid of damage? I would LOVE to hear some stories. Opinions. I'm thinking, with a short cut, I could show off and rock some colorful shell earrings!! Now, they just get lost in my curly curls.

godiva
04-17-2009, 08:25 AM
I've gotten the short cuts and keep my hair short just b/c it was the look I wanted. There were/are times when I just prefer my hair shorter.

Riki
04-18-2009, 02:33 AM
I had a great hair fall. I have curly hairs and are so much dry. Thanks for the tips. It will help me so much.

Brendita
04-18-2009, 04:28 AM
Ms Godiva: When you do wear your hair short, what do you do with it at night? I am so used to just pulling it up on top of my head (and, of course, sleeping with a satin pillow case) I am not sure how I would protect it when I sleep IF I cut it as short as I am thinking... I'm pretty sure I am gonna go for it. I NEED a change, GIRL! I'm open to most suggestions except for sleeping with a cap on my head. Too many memories of childhood (long story. I won't bore you!). Please advise.

Riki
04-20-2009, 06:50 AM
Add Proper nutrition and drinking a lot of water. Thanks. Nice Information.

Brendita
04-29-2009, 07:01 AM
With my new short hair do, I have happily learned that I don't need to do ANYTHING before going to sleep!! I sleep on a satin pillow case (and absolute MUST for ALL hair types, I believe). Before showering, I spray a moisturizing/nourishing leave it: I put the nozzle right at my roots and go around my whole head, every 2-3 inches. After that, I massage it through and pop on a shower cap. The heat from the shower helps the leave in penetrate. I had to get used to using less of everything: My hair was SO HEAVY with residue of my leave in styling lotion: I was using the same amount on my short hair that I used to use on my longer hair. I shampooed this morning, used about 1/4 of the amount of styling lotion and finished it off with an anti frizz gel/sunscreen. FABULOUS!

So, tips for healthy hair (I apologize in advance for repeating anything that our fellow well versed and extremely knowledgeable sisters have already posted):

1) Clean/fresh satin pillow case every night (I flip it each night and then after 2 days, I change it. I have about 6 of them. they're SUPER inexpensive and they last seemingly forever)

2) Moisturizing leave-in styling aides (plant derived oils/ non-petroleum, nut butters, aloe vera) as needed, especially at the ends where hair is oldest and most fragile.

3) Sunscreen (methoxycinnamate/cinnamate provide the BEST sun protection for hair) daily. This protects the hair from UV damage AND preserves your semi/demi or permanent color.

4) Combing hair ONLY when wet, using a wide tooth comb: Beginning at the ends after you've gently detangled with fingers and applied your conditioner.

5) Less frequent shampooing. When you do need to shampoo, use one that is free of SLS (sodium laurel sulphate)! SLS free shampoos preserves your hair color & doesn't strip your hair of it's natural oils. Another added bonus: It's good for YOU and the PLANET! No harmful chemicals getting into our water supply!

6) Weekly or bi-weekly protein & vitamin rich deep conditioning with heat.

I wish you ALL GREAT hair days!!!

Ms Coco
05-02-2009, 09:56 PM
Thanks for the info i been dealing with breakage for months now.

azucarmoreno
05-05-2009, 07:40 AM
Hi Creodiiva,

I have relaxed hair that goes slightly below my shoulders. I find that when I don't comb often the hair seems to tangle quite a bit, so by the time I run a comb through it I shed a lot of hair...do you have any suggestions?? I try to clip my ends often which helps some, but my hair is so dry at times it seems nothing helps.

azucarmoreno
05-05-2009, 07:46 AM
I have notice that too HairObsessed!!! However, because I have been experiencing in the last few years some boalding and shedding, my dermatologist recommended that I stop relaxing my hair (scariest thought ever!!) or relax my hair every 3 months...I have tried to hold back and I have noticed some regrowth in the damaged areas, but my hair is thinner than it used to be, I suspect due to breakage from the new growth...

azucarmoreno
05-05-2009, 08:00 AM

That was great advice!! I usually sleep with a satin scarf thrown over the pillow, but I have noticed too that my scarves are old and not as smooth as they once were. I am definitely going to check them when I go home and invest in some new ones soon. Sometimes it is the obvious things that are right under our nose that we don't see...

evanny
05-05-2009, 08:21 AM
Hi Creodiiva,

I have relaxed hair that goes slightly below my shoulders. I find that when I don't comb often the hair seems to tangle quite a bit, so by the time I run a comb through it I shed a lot of hair...do you have any suggestions?? I try to clip my ends often which helps some, but my hair is so dry at times it seems nothing helps.

What do you moisturize and seal with? You may need a new/better moisturizer to combat this. What's your regimen like?

azucarmoreno
05-05-2009, 08:22 AM

I forgot about my car!! I will have to buy a scarf to tie on the head rest also...I read somewhere about filing down our combs with a regular nail file, to smooth out the seems (especially with plastic combs); I did it with some of my combs and I noticed that less hair seemed to snap and break when I combed my hair...

azucarmoreno
05-05-2009, 08:31 AM
Hi Evanny,

besides shampoo and conditioner, I use on my hair Bronner Brothers Styling Foam, anti-frizz serum, and an anti-frizz hair lotion from John Frieda (that's about the only moisturizer I put in my hair). I have trouble finding moisturizing formulas that won't make my hair greasy looking/feeling and weight it down...

azucarmoreno
05-05-2009, 08:44 AM
Vitamin C as well as Fish Oil pills are the TRUTH. My hair is growing faster than before I used vitamins.
I am taking fish oil capsules too, as well as gingko bilova and ginseng for vitality. Gingko and ginseng are not only good for memory and brain stimulation, but they are also good for hair loss. I started taking those along with my regular multi-vitamin, and I started noticing a difference in my hair growth withing 1-1/2 months or so. I also noticed that my scalp felt better.

1me
05-05-2009, 03:58 PM
Thanks for the Info!

virtuouswoman
05-05-2009, 05:35 PM
I am taking fish oil capsules too, as well as gingko bilova and ginseng for vitality. Gingko and ginseng are not only good for memory and brain stimulation, but they are also good for hair loss. I started taking those along with my regular multi-vitamin, and I started noticing a difference in my hair growth withing 1-1/2 months or so. I also noticed that my scalp felt better.

what does the fish oil do for you?

sexymami17
05-06-2009, 06:57 AM
with all the tips that i reading today my hair will be back to apl pretty soon! thanks.

sweetvanilla
05-08-2009, 09:57 AM
Have any of you ladies ever cut your hair short just for a new style? My hair is "dusting" my shoulders". It's been this length for quite some time, as I just get trims every few months. I am thinking about going super duper short (like maybe 2 or 3 inches) for the summer.... just for a change, ya know? Has any one ever done this or do you only get a short short cut to get rid of damage? I would LOVE to hear some stories. Opinions. I'm thinking, with a short cut, I could show off and rock some colorful shell earrings!! Now, they just get lost in my curly curls.

no u don't have to have breakage to get a cute hair cut especially in the summer months and it will grow quicker the only catch is it a lot of maintenece with shorter hair

munchy
05-08-2009, 01:15 PM

I just did this and at first I looked @ this Dominican woman like she lost her mind:mad: Because it was shorter than I wanted her to do, but you know, it'll grow back evenly and healthy:D GO FOR IT!!

munchy
05-08-2009, 01:17 PM
no u don't have to have breakage to get a cute hair cut especially in the summer months and it will grow quicker the only catch is it a lot of maintenece with shorter hair

There is a lot of maintenance with short hair, but it's well worth it.:)

munchy
05-08-2009, 01:25 PM
I have notice that too HairObsessed!!! However, because I have been experiencing in the last few years some boalding and shedding, my dermatologist recommended that I stop relaxing my hair (scariest thought ever!!) or relax my hair every 3 months...I have tried to hold back and I have noticed some regrowth in the damaged areas, but my hair is thinner than it used to be, I suspect due to breakage from the new growth...

It sounds as if your hair is weak. I would say that extending the time of the relaxer is a plus like the Derma. says(I'm doing the same thing) You need a protein treatment followed by a moisturizing conditioner. AND A TRIM. Massage your scalp especially in those damaged areas,, gently. If you take the time and BABY your hair I think that you'll be okay! There are some basic hair care info on one of the Threads. Here on this thread are some ladies who know what they are talking about when it comes to your hair! Holler at them.

virtuouswoman
05-08-2009, 07:31 PM
There is a lot of maintenance with short hair, but it's well worth it.:)

I want a short hair cut because I think they're cute but I am not the one for tons of maintenance and my hair is long and I still have problems with it!!!

munchy
05-11-2009, 09:32 AM
I want a short hair cut because I think they're cute but I am not the one for tons of maintenance and my hair is long and I still have problems with it!!!

I go to the salons every two weeks, so the hardest part of the maintenace for me is when I do it, on the weeks that I dont go to her. lol, Other than that the stylist rolls me up and I'm good for the week!

My only problem is when I work out:(

Brendita
05-12-2009, 12:01 PM
I am LOVING the short hair thing!!! Maintenance? Why? You mean trims? I was just planning on letting it do it's thing and "evolve". I want to let it grow again... I AM happy that I "got it out of my system" so to speak. I think I look rather cute, if I do say so myself ;-)

azucarmoreno
05-14-2009, 06:38 AM
It sounds as if your hair is weak. I would say that extending the time of the relaxer is a plus like the Derma. says(I'm doing the same thing) You need a protein treatment followed by a moisturizing conditioner. AND A TRIM. Massage your scalp especially in those damaged areas,, gently. If you take the time and BABY your hair I think that you'll be okay! There are some basic hair care info on one of the Threads. Here on this thread are some ladies who know what they are talking about when it comes to your hair! Holler at them.
Yes, I think my hair was overprocessed after all those years of using a no-lye relaxer. I am using a lye relaxer now by Mizani, and it seems that both my hair and scalp are doing much better. It is still a long process, and I am still learning...do you have a protein treatment in that you can recommend (and that is not too expensive)? Thanks.

azucarmoreno
05-14-2009, 08:33 AM
what does the fish oil do for you?
Hi Virtouswoman,

I've read that fish oil helps promote healthier, shinier hair and skin. I am taking it along with multi-vitamins, so it is hard to tell if the improvement in texture comes from the oil or the vitamins or any of the many changes that I've done lately...but even if its effect on hair was minimum it is still really good for many other health issues and for improving the quality of our skin. I hope to heal my very dry scalp from the inside as well as the outside, and to improve the overall shine and strength of my hair.

Ms. Bing
05-14-2009, 10:13 AM
Yes, I think my hair was overprocessed after all those years of using a no-lye relaxer. I am using a lye relaxer now by Mizani, and it seems that both my hair and scalp are doing much better. It is still a long process, and I am still learning...do you have a protein treatment in that you can recommend (and that is not too expensive)? Thanks.Alot of ladies on here like Aphogee Protein Treatment that you do every six weeks.Personally I will only do it once every 8-12 weeks because I noticed it is a bit strong for my hair. My hair likes light protein . Once a month I do a homemade protein I noticed my hair likes. I mix one egg , a tablespoon of mollasses, teaspoon of evoo, and a teaspoon of apple cider vinegar. I apply like a relaxer with the bowl and brush and let sit for an hour on dry hair with a shower cap. I then wash and d/c and notice almost no shedding or breakage for about 3 to four weeks.

azucarmoreno
05-29-2009, 11:11 AM
The good thing about long hair is that on a "bad hair day" you can always do a ponytail and be done with it, with short hair you can style it quickly, but you have to care for it everyday...I like short hair and how cute it looks, but I am afraid of the maintenance.

SecretsSweets
06-09-2009, 11:47 AM
Thanks a lot

haitianamy
06-09-2009, 12:00 PM
good advice

chicadominicana
07-08-2009, 04:11 PM
Thanks for the info, because there is so much extra info out there and this one goes straight to the point. Simply true and important.

Sharii16
10-18-2009, 04:40 PM
i DEEP CONDiTiON 2X A WEEk.....iS ThAT GOOd??

Amina
10-18-2009, 04:51 PM
i DEEP CONDiTiON 2X A WEEk.....iS ThAT GOOd??

It depends...is your hair responding well to it? You don't want to end up with moisture or protein overload. As long as you listen to your hair you should be fine.

CherriPepsi
10-18-2009, 10:41 PM

Short hair is high maintenance. You sure about it?

lamaria211
10-19-2009, 12:47 PM
im el almost nl and trust me its alot of work plus its that much harder to stretch your relaxer!

CherriPepsi
10-19-2009, 10:47 PM
I remember having EL hair with a relaxer. It was a pain to deal with and my hair grew in fast.

virtuouswoman
10-20-2009, 03:27 AM
Short hair is high maintenance. You sure about it?

Yeah, I've had short hair before and the key thing that I all ways stress with anything that goes along with your hair journey is learn your hair, and I've done that.....:)

Sharii16
10-22-2009, 02:46 PM
It depends...is your hair responding well to it? You don't want to end up with moisture or protein overload. As long as you listen to your hair you should be fine.

well really idk......i use profectiv deep strengthening conditioner....it leaves my hair soft and strong feeling....but its starting to break off in strands.....it started like a week ago??!!!

Amina
10-22-2009, 05:19 PM
well really idk......i use profectiv deep strengthening conditioner....it leaves my hair soft and strong feeling....but its starting to break off in strands.....it started like a week ago??!!!

When u see the strands is it "breaking" from the root (it will have a tiny white bulb ob the end) or is it just breakage (no white tip)? Did u just notice the breakage since u started using the Profectiv?

Siberia_McLean
10-22-2009, 09:16 PM
That's good information. Thanks!:)

lamaria211
10-23-2009, 07:44 AM
my problem is that i want to stretch longer but with el hair its really hard
my hair just sticks up and i dont want to use heat

marwa
11-24-2009, 05:32 PM
What is the best shampoo for dry hair and broken

jennythejen
11-29-2009, 04:07 PM

i have the same problem. I can't go more than six weeks

evanny
11-29-2009, 06:03 PM

Any moisturizing shampoo. Aphogee's deep moisture shampoo is a really good one.

WWW.tnd100.ecrater.com
11-29-2009, 10:11 PM
when U put relaxer in hair U should put oil on it that helps with breakage

lamaria211
11-30-2009, 10:32 AM
ive been hiding my hair under a wig but its the holidays and i want some nice pics so i will relax this weekend and then start my stretch again

Sharii16
12-01-2009, 12:29 PM
When u see the strands is it "breaking" from the root (it will have a tiny white bulb ob the end) or is it just breakage (no white tip)? Did u just notice the breakage since u started using the Profectiv?

sorry!! im super late....but when the strands are breaking off its coming from the ends not like scalp. I always examine those things and it seems my hair may need special attention!!!??:crying:

Choconom
12-01-2009, 06:24 PM
I have a question....sometimes a strand falls out, and it's long and is coily at the top but it has no white bulb, is it breakage or shedding?

fuchsia
12-01-2009, 08:10 PM

yes this s what i need to start doing!

Vermelha
12-01-2009, 10:43 PM
I have a question....sometimes a strand falls out, and it's long and is coily at the top but it has no white bulb, is it breakage or shedding?

Some strands don't have a white bulb, but instead have a black bulb. This is shedding, but more specifically, you've pulled out an immature hair. :( This can happen on accident. I have done that before. It's perfectly fine.

SHIRO
12-01-2009, 11:55 PM
tHIS couldn't have come at a better time.thanx

Lady Hawk
12-16-2009, 12:28 PM

A good shampoo is Aphogee Shampoo for Damaged Hair.

HairObsessed
12-16-2009, 07:30 PM
Your conditioner! Use it like a shampoo. Shampoo is bad for your hair.

A good shampoo is Aphogee Shampoo for Damaged Hair.

Vermelha
12-17-2009, 06:22 AM
Your conditioner! Use it like a shampoo. Shampoo is bad for your hair.

<Buts In>

For some people, conditioner doesn't remove product build up, and can make hair overly mushy over time, especially for naturals.

Co-washing is good, no lie, but some people use heavier products that must be removed with shampoo. In my case, co-washing would make my hair take longer to dry and it stays sopping wet for 2+ days. And wet hair = damaged hair over time.

Shampoo is only bad when you use one with too high of a pH for your hair. Some sulfates are higher in pH than others. My current shampoo's pH is 5-6, which is pretty decent, while my old clarifiying one was 8-9 range. It all depends on it's pH and the condition of the hair it is used on.

OK, I'm done, lol. ;)

</Buts In>

hair4me09
12-17-2009, 01:55 PM
Also try the Hask Placenta No rinse instant hair repair treatment (super strength for extremely damaged hair) Stopped mine instantly and it's a spray! I use it before putting my moisturizer on (dry hair) and it's so soft and not breaking anymore.

http://www.hairproducts.com/showimage.php?img=hp-bla-has102.jpg&preset=2&otherl=

hair4me09
12-17-2009, 01:57 PM
let me clear that up...I use it as the directions say on wet hair but I also use it on dry hair as well so it works both ways. They don't tell you that but it does...

Peachez82
12-26-2009, 02:29 PM
Thanks for the info

sunsetkay
12-27-2009, 11:29 AM
i'm back to the beginning with the breakage battle. i don't think stretching is good for my hair... every time i stretch i break like wildfire... ugh, this is all so confusing... i do have to say that doing caramel treatments helped breakage but i think you're only supposed to do those once a month... does anyone know about that? cuz if i could do them more often, i might be able to stretch my relaxers out further with less breakage...

Vermelha
12-28-2009, 12:13 AM
i'm back to the beginning with the breakage battle. i don't think stretching is good for my hair... every time i stretch i break like wildfire... ugh, this is all so confusing... i do have to say that doing caramel treatments helped breakage but i think you're only supposed to do those once a month... does anyone know about that? cuz if i could do them more often, i might be able to stretch my relaxers out further with less breakage...

Do you not use a deep conditioner in your regime? Aside from caramel treatments and other home remedies, do you actually deep condition w/ or w/o heat once a week. A lot of people have a hard time stretching relaxers out simply because they don't deeply treat the hair enough to soften the new growth, resulting in breakage. Making the hair softer and manageable is key to stretching out a relaxer. These can be done weekly, or biweekly, if necessary.

Also, I know actual real mayonnaise works as a moisturizing and strengthening deep conditioner. A lot of women use this. Cholesterol is also good for softening up the hair. HTH.

ButterflyHair
01-05-2010, 09:25 AM
I'm definitely going to pass this along to some friends. Thanks!

flyysweethrt
02-13-2010, 08:41 PM
What shampoo's do you recommend using when shampooing weekly? I've been using Olive Oil Creamy Aloe Shampoo. Is that ok ?

Sharii16
02-13-2010, 10:14 PM
I Prefer Using Natural Oils And Profectiv Products . Protective Styles And Not Too Stressful Hairstyles .

Vermelha
02-13-2010, 11:12 PM
What shampoo's do you recommend using when shampooing weekly? I've been using Olive Oil Creamy Aloe Shampoo. Is that ok ?

When shampooing weekly, it's best to use a regular or moisturizing shampoo, not a chelating or clarifying one. What you are using is a chelating shampoo, which should only be done once a month to remove product buildup and mineral deposits. Using a chelating shampoo too often can strip the hair clean and be drying.

Try the regular Olive Oil shampoo instead.

ButterflyHair
02-14-2010, 02:43 PM
Very solid tips! Thx!

tyff says WHOA
02-14-2010, 03:52 PM
I bought some Doo Gro stuff to help with my breakage. Ahh. Hoping for good results...

lapsrp
02-15-2010, 12:19 PM
My hair is shedding very bad I have been to the doctor and I was told that I had an fugus because my scalp was very dry and I had two ball spot in the back I took the medicine the was was giving to me and it work for the dry scalp but my hair is still shedding pretty bad I did some research on it and I came up with Menapause can make your hair shed. I guess there is nothing I can really do, I don't put much heat on my hair at all I wrap my hair at night I didn't want to add more stress on my hair do to the shedding is there anything that I can do.

Iwanthealthyhair67
02-15-2010, 01:20 PM
try taking garlic pills and washing your hair garlic shampoo or you can add a fresh clove to your treatment or shampoo...I'd also suggest you research shedding in the search engine located in the menu bar upper right hand corner of this page aslo via internet...

Iwanthealthyhair67
02-18-2010, 07:14 PM
Also try the Hask Placenta No rinse instant hair repair treatment (super strength for extremely damaged hair) Stopped mine instantly and it's a spray! I use it before putting my moisturizer on (dry hair) and it's so soft and not breaking anymore.

http://www.hairproducts.com/showimage.php?img=hp-bla-has102.jpg&preset=2&otherl=

Interesting, I have the same product except it's a conditioning treatment..Think I'll give it another try

badhairday
02-25-2010, 10:47 AM
Hey, Badhairday here. My hair was covering my sink and my hairdresser just wanted to continue to put chemicals in. So I stopped going to her. I came here to this form to get some answers, my hair kept breaking and shedding. I finally found a "Down-Home" hair dresser. She is wonderful!
First she suggested to cut off all of the left over chemicals at the ends and start over. Fortunately my hair was medium length. She proposed to treat the hair and make it Healthy, no chemicals at all.
Just a wash and when moisture is used, it's mizani, dryer and a light curl.
She also told me I did not need to have such harsh chemicals on my hair because of the grade. I am very pleased with the results and the look. My hair is growing back and I don't have all of the breakage and shedding.

godiva
02-25-2010, 10:58 AM
Hey, Badhairday here. My hair was covering my sink and my hairdresser just wanted to continue to put chemicals in. So I stopped going to her. I came here to this form to get some answers, my hair kept breaking and shedding. I finally found a "Down-Home" hair dresser. She is wonderful!
First she suggested to cut off all of the left over chemicals at the ends and start over. Fortunately my hair was medium length. She proposed to treat the hair and make it Healthy, no chemicals at all.
Just a wash and when moisture is used, it's mizani, dryer and a light curl.
She also told me I did not need to have such harsh chemicals on my hair because of the grade. I am very pleased with the results and the look. My hair is growing back and I don't have all of the breakage and shedding.

I'm glad you found someone who was concerned with the health of your hair and not just trying to cover it up.

evanny
02-25-2010, 11:00 AM
Doing an oil only DC stopped my unwanted shedding. ;)

Iwanthealthyhair67
02-25-2010, 12:41 PM
Doing an oil only DC stopped my unwanted shedding. ;)

did you overnight

evanny
02-25-2010, 12:44 PM
did you overnight

No, not over night, but I did leave it in for a couple of hours out of laziness. Like from 3pm to 7pm. :o I don't like sleeping with conditioner/oils in my hair.

acgn
03-31-2010, 09:22 AM
is there way to deep condition braids?

Vermelha
03-31-2010, 07:47 PM
is there way to deep condition braids?

Not effectively. Just make sure (if you can) to keep the braids moisturized and the scalp oiled. It's best to deep condition before and after getting braids to offset damage.

someil
04-22-2010, 01:31 PM
Hair breakage occurs due to a variety of reasons, some of the reasons are just the way we treat our hair daily. Hair is delicate and needs good care, consistent and natural hair damage comes the way we use our hair.

The best way to conserve hair is to tie it out of the way after giving it a good comb, but that is so impractical, as we get more and more fashion conscious, the first thing we treat is our hair. There are a number of products which we use daily to treat hair and not all protect our hair.

Here are some tips how you can take care of hair and minimize the damage:

1) After hair bath try not to use comb directly, even if you use conditioning and anti tangle potions, you should firstly run your fingers through your hair to ensure that your hair is not subjected to jerks and pulls that may result if you directly use the comb.

2) Try to tie your hair each time you are not going out, market today offers variety of hair clips, that do not break or damage hair,

3) Though you tie your hair ensure that you do not pull it back tightly, this will result in hair loss from the front, and your forehead will look larger as time passes by resulting in complete alteration of appearance.

4) Try not to use hair dyes often, use only the ones which are from companies that are known for their quality and use of ingredients that are least likely to harm your hair, use of hair products will dry your hair initially and make them brittle, minimize hair breakage.

5) Make sure you visit your hair dresser/stylist to ask him about your hair type and products you can use to massage your scalp with, this should give hair roots good toning up. Massage with good oils, will also restore your hair's lost moisture and nutrition, thus ensuring a longer life for your hair.

6) Minimize the use of hair dryer, try not using it directly on the scalp, instead use it only on the hair, do not use it on very wet hair, use a thick towel, soak all water and let your hair be semi dry before you use the hair dryer.

7) Using hot hair clamps will damage your hair, your hair will end up with split ends and a dull look, try to maintain hair style, that will require least of products that are most likely to damage hair.

8) Most importantly, make sure after you use shampoos and conditioners, provide 2 more minutes after the normal rinse to rinse a bit more, shampoo and conditioner residue too, can harm your hair.

lindathomas
04-24-2010, 01:06 AM
Foods that can cause hair loss and diminish hair growth.

a) Saturated and Trans fat
Foods such as meat, poultry, and fried foods contain high saturated fat. Foods such as margarine, cheese, and butter contain high amounts of trans fat. These foods cause cholesterol to build up in your arteries and small veins in your scalp resulting in less oxygen being delivered to the cell in your body, including the cells on the follicles.

b) Foods that contain Aspartame and Monosodium Glutamate
Monosodium Glutamate contain chemicals that causes weight gain, increased appetite and also causes various kinds of health problems such as hair loss.
Aspartame contains toxic chemicals that make you gain weight, increases hunger and causes medical problems like migraines and poor blood circulation.

belldandy
04-30-2010, 06:34 AM
Foods that can cause hair loss and diminish hair growth.

a) Saturated and Trans fat
Foods such as meat, poultry, and fried foods contain high saturated fat. Foods such as margarine, cheese, and butter contain high amounts of trans fat. These foods cause cholesterol to build up in your arteries and small veins in your scalp resulting in less oxygen being delivered to the cell in your body, including the cells on the follicles.

b) Foods that contain Aspartame and Monosodium Glutamate
Monosodium Glutamate contain chemicals that causes weight gain, increased appetite and also causes various kinds of health problems such as hair loss.
Aspartame contains toxic chemicals that make you gain weight, increases hunger and causes medical problems like migraines and poor blood circulation.

good info i never knew this!

lindathomas
05-05-2010, 03:05 AM
thanks for the tips. I also suffer a lot from hair breakage.

Curlgenie
05-05-2010, 06:15 AM
I think that this lack of combing and brushing has helped my hair breakage significantly i only comb when i really have to so today no combs in sight lol

angel_hair
05-05-2010, 11:42 AM
A protein treatment or a good mositurizing deep conditioner.....followed by assessing your hair routine to see if your doing anything to encourage breakage.

michaelhoffman
05-10-2010, 06:04 AM
The most common treatments for hair breakage are conditioning treatments. There are many moisturizing conditioners, deep conditioners, and reconstructing or protein conditioners on the market today to help with hair breakage. If you're suffering from severe hair breakage, you should treat your hair with extra special care. Eliminate heat, eliminate brushing, and reduce manipulation. The less you're messing with your hair, the less opportunity there is for it to break.

Smiles
05-10-2010, 08:48 PM
great tips! i need to work on using less heat! especially since im transitioning! = )

jnlellison
05-12-2010, 09:39 PM
Thanks for all of the info ladies. I am going to get some vitamins and change out that pillow.

NaniDiamond
05-20-2010, 01:55 PM
ave you ladies ever gone to this website?
"mytexturedtresses"
Help your hair achieve growth results using these homemade, organic growth recipes.

they have a lot of recipes that you can make at home that stop breakage and encourage growth.
it's for "us"...

evanny
05-20-2010, 04:08 PM
Doing egg treatments have helped tremendously with my breakage.

jasikajohnson
06-22-2010, 04:13 AM
Here a tips for a stop a breakage a hair really a good tips like use the right conditioner. Leave in conditioners are excellent. You can also use an all natural hair lotion,Shampoo your hair regularly. You should wash your hair at least once per week. Do not use cheap shampoos. It is best to use all natural hair care products that contain natural oils,Sleep in a satin cap or on a satin pillow case,massage in your hair with oil regular.

Waves2Curls
06-22-2010, 02:52 PM
If I use protein containing products on a regular basis I am guaranteed to see breakage. It doesn’t matter if it’s shampoo, conditioner, leave-in, etc. In my case, the most easily accessible store products have protein so it’s difficult. I also read that it’s the type of protein, formulation, concentration blah blah that counts but bottom line I’ve done lots of isolated testing and it’s all the same for me-dry, brittle curls. I can, however, do an occasional protein treatment (I like motions CPR) but I don’t think I have to since I don’t use much heat anymore.

babybooj
06-29-2010, 06:00 PM
thanx!! this really helped cuz i have been strugling with breakage

Miss Lynn
07-07-2010, 05:26 PM
Love your tips! Keep them coming :)

babybooj
07-09-2010, 04:19 PM
I really need help to prevent breakage

dpittman
07-16-2010, 02:24 AM
I have been using aloe vera juice with glcyerin and coconut oil as a daily moisturizer and wanted to know if that's ok to use since aloe vera is protein. My hair doesn't like alot of protein and I want to make sure that i'm not overloading it with a lot.

rouge-pandah
07-19-2010, 10:03 AM
thankz for tha info its really helpful

ursayollia
07-19-2010, 11:54 AM
This stuff SAVED my hair and sanity!

New Maven Haircare System Offers Maximum Hydration Just in Time forSummer...-PRNewsNow (http://www.prnewsnow.com/Public_Release/Gay_and_Lesbian/New_Maven_Haircare_System_Offers_Maximum_Hydration _Just_in_Time_for_Summer%3A_BioCare_Labs_Announces _the_Latest_in_African_American_Hair_Care_264456.h tml)

mimigirl
07-19-2010, 04:38 PM
So why are black women having so much breakage and damage?
http://img.thesun.co.uk/multimedia/archive/00478/SNF01NA2_280_478958a.jpg
Or this?
http://img.medscape.com/fullsize/migrated/569/800/dn569800.fig3.gif
By Definition: Traction or Tension Alopecia

The Cause: Most common among African American men, women and children who commonly wear small braids (micros), tight cornrows or hair weaves. Tension to the frontal and temporal regions of the head. Continuous styles will cause the hair to be pulled out at the root and may lead to permanent hair loss.

The Cure: The key to stopping traction alopecia is detecting it early. Hair styles that put unnecessary strain on the hair root must be changed for "looser, more gentle hair style.

~For those who enjoy wearing Extensions or need to disguise damage.~

Suggestions: Changing the method of Weaving. Using any type of "Weft hair will cause tension and pulling at the scalp. Glue-ins pull hair out at the root after removal, sew-ins need tight braids to reduce slipping even when using a hair net to weave. Micros are so dangerous because braids are so small and tight to adhere to the hair. They only last about 6-8weeks (micros 60days)

Question? But which is more safer and healthier for the hair?

Solution: Micro-links fusion strand by strand techniques cause absolutely no stress to the hair. Easy Fusion Extensions

How: Each strand weights 1/2 a gram and is attached 1/4 inch from the scalp causing absolutely no tension or traction during application, normal wear or removal.

Reason: Lasts for 6 months, you can wash your hair like normal with out the hair detaching. The key word is "your hair" and scalp : they both need water to grow and stay healthy. Get this you can also perm, dye and use any hot tool on your hair and the extensions as often as you normally would your own hair.

You may be saying Amazing but we say Technology!

Reason why you wouldn't use:

Cost: Extremely expensive seeing as the last so long sometimes up to 2000$..until now...

Check out the website that i personally use: cost same as a weft premium remy human hair -- 200$ and comes with a kit so that you fly through the application.
---> Qlassy Hair Extensions (http://shop.goodhairdaze.com) <----

Hair Length: Your natural Must be longer than 6 inches (mid-ear) ..so start measuring..

Loves: Baldness and unhealthy hair..eww

so I've givin the advice now here's the proof. just that check out my video on my hair before and after on youtube: just type in klassyladyxoxo

YouTube - D-I-Y Weaves! Full head Micro links only $200 - $250!

Demo on how to remove and apply:
YouTube - Hair Extensions vs. Weaves.wmv

Women, African-American women, who suspect they may be vulnerable to traction alopecia should take action immediately to change their hair style or treatment methods and by all means, take the time to see a dermatologist. Professional hair stylists specializing in braids, cornrows, weaving should warn their clients about traction alopecia.

IAmHealer
07-24-2010, 06:27 AM
thanks for sharing! I've been swimming a lot, and I want to protect my natural hair from the chlorine.

coiaw
08-16-2010, 08:05 PM
Thanks, I have double processed hair and fighting breakage is a never ending battle but I intend to win with proper care

jasikazenith
08-18-2010, 05:19 AM
Here a tips to stop a breakage,do a massage with oil daily and use a almond oil or a coconut oil for that and take a healthy food and comb your hair after a some of hour and use a natural things for hair like a henna and don't take a stress this a best things for a stop hair breakage,and a take a nuts,egg and salad this a best for a hair.

breakandblossom
08-18-2010, 11:31 AM
These are amazing pieces of information!

watkins
09-10-2010, 11:19 PM
According to me choosing products with gentle ingredients such as guar gum and/or flaxseed.Trimming hair regularly to discourage split ends.Using a soft brush and a wide-tooth comb to groom your hair at least once daily.

deniseneese
09-13-2010, 10:06 AM
I have a question. My hair colored and I had breakage I finally got it under control, but now my hair is growing back my scalp is so sore. It was really itchy but now it is sore. What should I do. Please help I only been a member for about one week.

*pearl*
09-16-2010, 07:56 AM
Thanks for the info!

TheRealMillah
09-21-2010, 08:16 PM
I have hair shedding and breakage, I'm not sure what to do about it.

NFW_THA_QUEEN13
09-22-2010, 07:46 PM
I have a question. My hair colored and I had breakage I finally got it under control, but now my hair is growing back my scalp is so sore. It was really itchy but now it is sore. What should I do. Please help I only been a member for about one week.

Ok well what you shouldn't do is scratch it because your fingernails are posionous in a way and they will give you sores. I think you need to do a GOOD Hot Oil Treatment as a deep condition. I recommend using Extra Virgin Olive Oil and apply it to your scalp because in your case, it sounds like your scalp is THIRSTY! Also I would get a shampoo/conditioner that specializes in preventing hair breakage (I use VO5's Anti-Breakage Conditioner...it's cheap and affordable. I use it even though it's cheap because I have natural hair.)

NFW_THA_QUEEN13
09-22-2010, 07:51 PM
I have hair shedding and breakage, I'm not sure what to do about it.

Well like the tip said, if your breakage is on the ends, you need to clip them away ASAP! If its further somewhere else then you need to cut that area off. I experienced breakage from wearing low ponytails and had to get my hair cut from SL to CBL (shoulderlength/ collarbonelength). Once you cut the breakage off, you begin to give your hair a lot of TLC because it's gonna need it if you plan on growing your hair back or making it healthy again. Shedding is normal, but if it sheds so much then that's a problem. Shedding just gets rid of dead old hair. Be sure to eat dark green veggies/ nuts because they are the most Highly recommended foods to eat. DC weekly, keep hair moisturized, and pretty much what the tips said! LOL!

TheRealMillah
09-23-2010, 12:29 AM
Well like the tip said, if your breakage is on the ends, you need to clip them away ASAP! If its further somewhere else then you need to cut that area off. I experienced breakage from wearing low ponytails and had to get my hair cut from SL to CBL (shoulderlength/ collarbonelength). Once you cut the breakage off, you begin to give your hair a lot of TLC because it's gonna need it if you plan on growing your hair back or making it healthy again. Shedding is normal, but if it sheds so much then that's a problem. Shedding just gets rid of dead old hair. Be sure to eat dark green veggies/ nuts because they are the most Highly recommended foods to eat. DC weekly, keep hair moisturized, and pretty much what the tips said! LOL!

The back of my hair has broken of a lot, it's so short now that it can't really hold a braid (if that makes since) When I do sew ins I add hair to the two bottom rows and they still come extremely lose.

As far as the shedding I feel it's a lot hair comes out when I run my fingers through it and when I comb/brush it.

Ms Angel
10-12-2010, 10:12 AM
Im experiencing that too "Therealmillah"-I got a perm at a salon (70 bucks) experienced a lot of shedding and then noticed a bald spot in the back of my hair. Thank god its not so noticible cuz i wear my hair in a wrap and it covers it. But since reading the tips here i have been deep conditioning weekly and moisturizing daily. But my hair still itches so im not sure what to do...any help from the senior members would be greatly appreciated. PS i did not mention the hair breakage to my stylist cuz about 3 weeks after my perm i added the garnier no ammonia color to my hair so i feel its slightly my own fault cuz even though my hair was shedding i still added the color :-(

Glen444
10-19-2010, 12:39 AM
You can stop hair breakage naturally from home with a few things that you may already have in your kitchen. One popular method is the hot oil treatment for hair breakage. This involves the use of any botanical oil such as olive, canola, coconut, etc. You simply heat the oil and apply it to your hair and leave on for ten to fifteen minutes

stevenson
10-20-2010, 03:02 AM
tips to stop breakage, no oil on a daily basis and use almond oil or coconut oil for this, and make healthy food, and comb your hair after about an hour and use natural things like henna hair and don't stress that the best things to stop hair loss, and with nuts, egg salad and this is the best hair.

HairObsessed
10-20-2010, 07:44 AM
Sounds like a scalp rash either from the relaxer or a fungus. Cocoanut oil, shea butter, castor oil, combined with MegaTek @ the roots only and massage will grow that back in no time.

Im experiencing that too "Therealmillah"-I got a perm at a salon (70 bucks) experienced a lot of shedding and then noticed a bald spot in the back of my hair. Thank god its not so noticible cuz i wear my hair in a wrap and it covers it. But since reading the tips here i have been deep conditioning weekly and moisturizing daily. But my hair still itches so im not sure what to do...any help from the senior members would be greatly appreciated. PS i did not mention the hair breakage to my stylist cuz about 3 weeks after my perm i added the garnier no ammonia color to my hair so i feel its slightly my own fault cuz even though my hair was shedding i still added the color :-(

Sent from my SPH-M900 using Tapatalk

tatygirl90
10-27-2010, 06:08 PM
Hi my hair is short in the back and longer in the front. It looks like it was cut, but I think it may be breaking off or something. What do I do about growing it back out?

xrainbowmarkersx
11-07-2010, 09:24 PM
Thanks for the info!

gkeenan
11-08-2010, 12:48 PM
I have been wearing braids for years (over 10) and have a nice length to my hair, I recently had the Chi transformation done, it has been 11 days and I am now seeing a little hairloss (shedding I am assuming) I am very new to having my hair out and need to figure out a routine. What can I do to strengthen my hair now that I've stripped it so much with this process?

Thanks!

seopenkey
11-23-2010, 05:22 AM
Hi All,

Hair breakage is very general problem with most of the people especially with women. We should not ignore this problem and take proper solutions to sort out the problem. Greyban is a kind of grey hair remedies that is the best solution for strong hair. It generally maintains the melanin that is the most essential substance for the hair growth. This grey hair remedy uses a unique formulation “Bismuth Citrate”, which applies to your hair. This formulation is quite safe for use and forms melanin the natural pigmentation of your hair. The best thing about the grayban is that it does not smell nasty like a lot of the others while it is most effective.

Eelite
11-23-2010, 08:27 PM
Good info.

MzIndividuality
11-28-2010, 11:27 AM
Great Info!

charlesdevin65
12-04-2010, 12:25 PM

Eelite
12-08-2010, 07:13 PM
Now I've noticed that my hair has different textures and I've noticed some hair breakage. I think its because the haidresser that I went to applied a no-lye relaxer after I've been using a lye relaxer. I hear that no-lye relaxers make the hair break and that lye relaxers are better. Can someone please let me know. I don't even use heat in my hair. I use JBCO, coconut oil, avocado oil, olive oil and I condition my hair.

Eelite
12-08-2010, 07:19 PM
What about herbs? I hear that herbs contain many vitamins and minerals; and can make hair grow? I don't take any particular vitamins but I would like to know if herbs are a good choice.

amberthomas
12-10-2010, 12:06 AM
You can stop the hair loss, watch your hair with chemicals, and regularly cut the tips of your hair, brush your hair until half dry, keeps the hair moisturized, minimizing and braid her hair extensions hair used, please go easy on the heat, and take vitamin C and E to keep hair strong and healthy.

Lezli-Jade
12-10-2010, 02:05 AM
Do you do any protein treatments? Also do you do any protective styles on your hair?

Eelite
12-11-2010, 08:10 PM
Yes. Yesterday I relaxed my hair and for some reason my hair looks healthy. I use pre-poo oils and I deep condition, but right before I relax my hair is shedding more. Not only does it shed, my scalp itches terribly. I'm thinking I should relax every 4 weeks instead of 6-8 weeks. I don't know. But as for now it looks healthy. I don't even use heat on my hair much less a flat iron except on the day of my relaxer. I'm hoping that these treatments help.

arjunbarbosa
12-13-2010, 11:54 PM
Tips to stop the loss, not oil, on a daily basis and to use almond oil or coconut oil, and to make healthy food, and comb your hair after about an hour and the use of natural things such as hair henna and not stress that the best things to stop hair loss, and nuts, egg salad and this is the best hair.

jeffreyrayenz
12-14-2010, 06:37 AM
Common problem hair loss due to break chemical in cosmetics, and women's cosmetics through the weakest when it comes to hair loss. Cosmetics through the hair loss usually results from the misuse of chemicals for processing, the hair is sensitive and well taken care of consistent and natural damage to the hair as the hair after we shower try using your hair not to use the comb comes directly needs, even if you use air conditioning and anti-drug confusion, you first must run your fingers through your hair to assure that the shock if the hair and pulls You use straight comb, hair clips using hot your hair, your split ends and dull hair with the end hurt look, try to keep the hair style, which is required may result hair loss products that are expected at least.

jwright
12-17-2010, 02:06 AM
You can stop the hair loss, watch your hair with chemicals, and regularly cut the tips of your hair, brush your hair until half dry, keeps the hair moisturized, minimizing and braid her hair extensions hair used, please go easy on the heat, and take vitamin C and E to keep hair strong and healthy.

curlygirlie
01-27-2011, 01:51 PM
I co-wash and DEEEEEP condition WEEKLY! I also get trims every 8 weeks faithfully and this really stops breakage :)

Eelite
01-27-2011, 05:33 PM
I wil try this.

AuNaturale85
01-27-2011, 07:42 PM

:confused: Is there an echo? Anyway.... Redken anti-snap leave in treatment works well...i use it when I am in between protein treatments. It helps with the breakage

Ms.Gibson
01-27-2011, 08:23 PM
I realize shedding occured because I decided to go natural

Eelite
01-28-2011, 09:42 PM
That's just what happens.

arjhay101
02-07-2011, 06:56 AM

Causes of Hair Breakage

- Use large tooth combs.

Those information are great and I wanna thank you for that. I have been practicing some of those tips and it's really a big help.

jaigrasby
02-20-2011, 10:43 PM
Experts also recommend that the cut your hair every two or three months. This will prevent split ends, which are also a form of hair breakage.

SeekingStylists
02-24-2011, 01:07 AM
Thank you so much for this post. I obviously knew about coloring and brushing, but not about the vitamins. I've been having trouble with my hair breaking and thinning. I decided to take a break from coloring, but I now know what vitamins I need to concentrate on in my diet and/or supplements.

Missv
02-24-2011, 10:01 AM
Thank you for this post. I am still working out the kinks of getting healthy hair and every informative post helps me on my journey

reesey cup
02-24-2011, 07:43 PM
Common problem hair loss due to break chemical in cosmetics, and women's cosmetics through the weakest when it comes to hair loss. Cosmetics through the hair loss usually results from the misuse of chemicals for processing, the hair is sensitive and well taken care of consistent and natural damage to the hair as the hair after we shower try using your hair not to use the comb comes directly needs, even if you use air conditioning and anti-drug confusion, you first must run your fingers through your hair to assure that the shock if the hair and pulls You use straight comb, hair clips using hot your hair, your split ends and dull hair with the end hurt look, try to keep the hair style, which is required may result hair loss products that are expected at least.

Sorry but the teach I me screams...??????????????????????????????????????

reesey cup
02-24-2011, 07:48 PM
I meant the teacher/educator in me (corr)

Eelite
02-25-2011, 04:38 PM
Yeah, that's what's going on with me now.

rockrego
03-14-2011, 11:13 AM
There are three tips for the stop your breakage your hair.
1. Split Ends
2. Chemical Processing
3. Double Processing

lemonjons
03-21-2011, 12:41 PM
Here a little trick to prevent damage, do a massage oil, almond oil per day, or coconut oil is a healthy food, and take and comb your hair after a period of hours to use natural things like a henna hair and non-Take a stress that this is the best thing to stop hair breakage, and take the nuts, eggs and salad which is one of the best hair.

rudolfhitler
03-22-2011, 10:46 AM
I would say that as a plus when the Relaxer Derma. (I'm doing the same thing), moisturising cream says followed by treatment of a protein. AND A CUT. The damaged regions, particularly the scalp gently massage. If you think the baby would be Ok to take the time and the hair! There are some basic hair care information on a thread. This thread here who know what they are talking about when it comes to some of the ladies to your hair! Shout at them.

kelly00
03-23-2011, 06:16 AM
moisturizing helps. it works in the long run

DelightfulT
03-31-2011, 05:40 PM
Hi everybody... My first post here ever.... I was just wondering?? I didnt think it was healthy for african american hair types to was every week...I thought bi-weekly was good because the more u wash the more moisture is stripped??? I also would like to know if u are to use a deep conditioner every week, when do u use the leave in conditioner? Do u use that on top of the deep conditioner, and then continue to use leave in conditioner every day to retain strenghtening??? Sorry if i sound so new??? Im just trying to get it right, because i am going to follow ur advice

DelightfulT
03-31-2011, 05:53 PM
[QUOTE=CREODiiVA;27976]How To Stop Hair Breakage !

[- Keep your hair moisturized. Your hair needs moisture, particularly when it is exposed to chemical treatments and heat appliances. Deep condition your hair, at least once per week.

I think I posted in the wrong section... Anyhow, I appreciate the helpful hints to help our hair... I have a few questions tho... I always was taught that african american hair couldnt take washing every week because it will strip moisture and make dry...Also if I deep condition once a week, do i follow that with using leave in conditioner on a daily basis? I use Infusium 23 "repairologie" shampoo and leave in conditioner... Is this good or should I be using something else?
First posts ever so please forgive if Ive done something wrong?:)

1st Lady
04-05-2011, 08:04 AM
I noticed that my hair grows faster when I get my ends clipped regularly like every 6 to 8 weeks. So I figure that one of the main factors to prevent hair breakage aside from moisture is the split ends. I have went almost four months with out a trim only dusting and I notice that my hair is the same length only difference is that it is thinner on the ends. If anyone have any suggestions on what may be going wrong please feel free, I can use the pointers.

TressBuzz
04-11-2011, 01:11 PM
Awesome! Here's some additional tips: TressBuzz - Growing Long Relaxed Hair (http://www.tressbuzz.com/growing-long-relaxed-hair.html)

HairCare11
04-11-2011, 04:48 PM
nice tips ! thanx alot

sharina21
04-13-2011, 09:10 AM
How often should I perm my hair? And what can I use to help it grow? Ive cut it before and it grew to a certain length and stopped. Should I cut it again?

Diva83
04-13-2011, 03:07 PM
thanx for the info, i hope my hair stops shedding so much gotta start wrapping it down @ night...

spraypaint
04-13-2011, 04:56 PM
these are some great tips.my cousin does the whole mayo thing i always thought it was a little weird but now i see why she does it.:)

Book2
04-14-2011, 11:54 AM
I've been natural for some years, but always wearing braids. Over the years the braids have caused my hair to become very, thin and the hairline on one side seems to have a touch of traction alopecia. Any advice?

hellypetro
04-18-2011, 05:27 AM
I have also problem then I have use Shampoo hair regularly.I also wash my hair at least once per week.I also use conditioner.

spssps15
04-26-2011, 05:06 AM
Well done,Creodiiva . It is an excellent article from you at that site. I appreciate your experience and thought about it. But it need some more statistical data to be more improved.
I think you will also appreciate my thinking about it.

Hair is composed of a protective outer layer known as the cuticle, as well as a spongy inner layer called the cortex. A hair strand’s flexibility is due in part to the moisture level of the cortex. If the cuticle of a strand is damaged, moisture evaporates from the cortex, leaving the hair brittle. Brittle hair is more prone to splits and breakage. The only permanent solution to stop hair breakage is caring for your hair in a way that causes the least damage to your cuticle

Avoid Heat
Reconstructing Protein Conditioners
Trimming
Protective Care

Personal Care Products (http://www.hellotrade.com/business/cosmetic-personal-care/)

Book2
05-06-2011, 10:22 AM
50 and still learning my hair...I now know I'm a 4b-c

jamesguides
07-27-2011, 08:26 AM
If a chemical process can be really bad for your hair, imagine the two at the same time can do! Dual-use chemical impregnation process is one of the most worst thing you can do your hair's health. Your braids a busy, insist on a process of time. Never relax your hair color and at the same time.

enriqjames
07-28-2011, 07:25 AM
I have been doing research, and it seems I insist on this hair color. I really want to change it. It will help me see the growth too much, but I do not want to do any harm, I do not believe this, Sharon!

SHiEs Confused
08-21-2011, 05:43 AM
This may sound silly, but I'm having a hard time trying to figure out if I'm going through breakage or shedding. I don't see any white ends, so I'm assuming it's breakage. I also read that it can be caused by over moisturizing or too much protein. I'm completely ignorant about hair, so you'll have to excuse me. I've spent my days in wigs and weaves so I didn't have to worry about them. hahah Anyway, I try to moisturize my hair once a day or every other with an organic shea butter hair lotion, so should I try finding a protein induced product?

Brendita
08-21-2011, 08:06 AM
This may sound silly, but I'm having a hard time trying to figure out if I'm going through breakage or shedding. I don't see any white ends, so I'm assuming it's breakage. I also read that it can be caused by over moisturizing or too much protein. I'm completely ignorant about hair, so you'll have to excuse me. I've spent my days in wigs and weaves so I didn't have to worry about them. hahah Anyway, I try to moisturize my hair once a day or every other with an organic shea butter hair lotion, so should I try finding a protein induced product?

It's very difficult to over moisturize. Breakage is usually caused by dryness, excessive heat use or too much protien. If you want to add protien to your regimen, you should so so slowly, in case your hair is sensitive to it.

Re: the lack of white bulbs at the end of your shed hairs, it could be natural shedding. Sometimes old hairs at the end of their life cycle break off right at the scalp and the bulb falls out a few hours or even days later. As long as you don't see short, small pieces, you're probably just shedding dead hair. We lose about 100 hairs a day... but many, many, many new ones grow to take their place.

SHiEs Confused
08-22-2011, 05:34 AM
It's very difficult to over moisturize. Breakage is usually caused by dryness, excessive heat use or too much protien. If you want to add protien to your regimen, you should so so slowly, in case your hair is sensitive to it.

Re: the lack of white bulbs at the end of your shed hairs, it could be natural shedding. Sometimes old hairs at the end of their life cycle break off right at the scalp and the bulb falls out a few hours or even days later. As long as you don't see short, small pieces, you're probably just shedding dead hair. We lose about 100 hairs a day... but many, many, many new ones grow to take their place.

Thank you so much for replying, Brendita! You made my DAY! (Woo Woo, I'm not going BALD!) I get super nervous when I see a lot of hair in my comb. It's not like they (the hair that comes out) are all the length of my hair, but it's always so much. Is there a certain product to look for when looking for a shampoo or anything else with protein in it?

LaraMasterson
08-22-2011, 04:57 PM
Ever since I started using Urielpure's Strengthening Conditioner I have minimal breakage. So far it has been the best thing that I've found after trying everything. You can find it at some stores or read about it and order online at Urielpure (http://www.urielpure.com)

It's also completely natural. All of my friends and family that I've told about it love it (and me for turning them onto it)

Hope this helps!

- Lara

hairgenie
08-23-2011, 03:42 AM
Hi Ladies,

I have a question. Do you all get hair breakage when you drive and your hair presses against the head rest in your care???

Brendita
08-23-2011, 05:40 AM
Thank you so much for replying, Brendita! You made my DAY! (Woo Woo, I'm not going BALD!) I get super nervous when I see a lot of hair in my comb. It's not like they (the hair that comes out) are all the length of my hair, but it's always so much. Is there a certain product to look for when looking for a shampoo or anything else with protein in it?

:) You're welcome! I don't like sulphates (SLS) for shampoos (but that's just me: Many people use them with great success). I believe they're too drying and unnecessary. They are responsible for all those white mounds of bubbles and foam.

A good sulphate free shampoo will do an excellent job of cleansing the hair w/o the damaging (in my opinion) effects of sulphates. I carry an entire line of natural/organic hair care products (http://www.brenditasbodyworks.com/shop/hair-care--Phat_Head-Hair_Care_Products.html), if you'd care to look. I've been using my own line exclusively since 2007, so I can't, in earnest, recommend any thing else. ;) You will surely be able to find other recommendations from fellow BHP members, though.

As far as protien, look for it specifically in the ingredients listings: Manufacturers that make products with protien want you to know about it, so it will be listed. If it's near the beginning of the ingredients list, that means the product has a fairly high amount. Keratin and collagen are to ingredients that are proteins, but may not be listed as such. All others (silk protien, wheat protien, vegetable protien) will be listed just like that.

Regarding the hair in your comb: You can try to avoid using your comb so much. I only comb my hair once a week, after shampooing/conditioning. I use a wide tooth comb in the shower to distribute my deep conditioner (I deep condition weekly... something you may want to think about). During the week, I use my fingers to style. The less you handle your hair when it's dry, the better: It's very fragile in its dry state, so it can break a lot easier. Hair retention = Longer, fuller, thicker hair. :D

Good luck!:)

nells james
08-30-2011, 07:22 AM
Styling your hair a lot cause damage, because of excessive friction, traction and tugging. Only deal with your hair, you want to be what you do, do not overdo it. Your hair looks strong, but in fact it is very fragile and should be handled with care. Treat your hair like a piece of silk to get the best results from your hair care.

classygyrl08
09-13-2011, 02:34 PM
I've been doing all of the above pretty consistently, but still experiencing breakage...not sure what the cause is.

A big part could be due to the fact that I'm transitioning, and I'm not willing to do the big chop...so I'm constantly managing two different textures.

I straighten on a regular basis though, to keep the hair uniform.

I saw a YouTube post some time ago....where the young lady said that , she had been able to keep her hair from breaking and also to actually see hair growth from keeping her hair natural hair straightened as she transitioned.

As a result, even though everyone says heat is bad....I straighten my hair with a flat iron, every week after I wash and condition. I always use a heat protector serum though.

ggirl
09-16-2011, 01:08 PM
I am a newbie but I agree w/Hairobsessed. When my hair need a touch up, if I wait too long it starts to break. No matter if it is DC w/ protein.

Exphailure
09-25-2011, 08:44 PM
This is useful, I've just gotten serious about getting my hair healthy and my hair breaks substantially after showering with no real stress, be conditioner gives me lots of slip.

elevate
10-08-2011, 12:58 AM
Very Natural......Thanks.. a Lot........

Louisewallace
10-09-2011, 02:57 PM
I have 4c tex laxed hair that had broken off severely. I was so afraid and anxious. i started the co-wash every 2 to three days alone with deep conditioning. I am deep conditioning with a mix of cholesetrol (sp) and ORS replenishing conditioner.
Things had turned around and I could see growth and repair; so what did I do? i slacked up from the regime and here we go again. :mad:
I know now that healthly hair is a commentment.
I have to be like the Oakland Raiders; commentment to execellence!

williams_john
10-11-2011, 12:28 AM
Hello,
If you are experiencing hair breakage, be assured that you are not alone. About 41-percent of American women admit to being affected by this condition daily. While the average person loses around 50 to 200 hairs each day, when you're suffering from hair breakage you lose considerably more. You may even be left with embarrassing bald spots that you have to conceal with other more prominent hair or, in more severe cases, you may even have to use a wig. This is no fun at all. Your hair is an important part of your overall image, and hair breakage not only affects your appearance, but it can affect your self-image, too.
Internal Causes of Hair Breakage
The causes of hair breakage can lie in a simple nutritional deficiency. Are you eating enough fresh vegetables, fruits, whole grains and good fats? If you answered "no", then this could be the cause of hair breakage in your case. These whole foods contain vitamins, minerals and essential fatty acids that are good for your hair.

A deficiency of these vitamins & minerals can be the cause of hair breakage:
Vitamin B
Vitamin E
Iron
Zinc
Silica
A lack of these whole foods can also be the cause of hair breakage:
Sunflower seeds
Almonds

Walnuts
Dark leafy greens

Try adding these foods, vitamins and minerals to your diet along with a minimum of 64 ounces of water each day and you may restore your hair's health and shine and prevent hair breakage.

Exphailure
10-11-2011, 08:03 AM
I really need to get some chewable vitamins, I just took a shower and this is what I get in the comb EVERY TIME.
You can't really tell but all the hair in the comb is orangy which is the way the sun makes it look from last summer, but I'm worried because I'll never grow my hair out if the breakages gets to my new growth.

http://forum.blackhairplanet.com/picture.php?albumid=1063&pictureid=7720&thumb=1 (http://forum.blackhairplanet.com/picture.php?albumid=1063&pictureid=7720)

drich93455
10-11-2011, 12:13 PM
This is great information.

I think that anytime you have two textures on your head, i.e. relaxed hair and new growth, the line of demarcation is prone to breakage and damage. This is also the case when you wear braids and weaves as they put tension on the hair which in the long term can be damaging. I know I always used to get build up right where my braids were installed and when I took them down, the area was prone to breakage and damage. I think the key is if you are wearing a relaxer don't wait too long between touch ups (about 6 to 8 weeks max) and to avoid overlapping on pre-relaxed hair. You really shouldn't wear braids for more than a month, although I know that after all the time in the chair it's hard to give them up that soon :)

Also let's not forget about nourishment from within. Healthy diet, exercise and plenty of water helps keep everything healthy, including your hair.

Exphailure
10-11-2011, 02:22 PM
Yeah it's been about 8 weeks since I've had my hair clipped last, and I had it cutin such a style that one point was longer than the other. the stylist told me a lot of stuff which I thought was wrong but anywho. Next time I get it cut/trimmed should I be getting it cut one length, or get all the texlaxed hair cut off?

drich93455
10-11-2011, 06:10 PM
It's always hard to grow out a relaxer. You'll get there though. If it were me I'd wear it in a style that I didn't have to comb, maybe a straw set or braids, until it was long enough to cut out the relaxer. It will be difficult to keep it from breaking if you are combing through two textures.

Exphailure
10-11-2011, 07:01 PM
Well, I roller set after every wash which is two times a week max, maybe even once a week. It's short enough that it doesn't touch my neck even. So the only time I have to comb it is to detangle after I wash before I roller set. So I have to comb at some point, I'm trying to weigh the benefits of doing my big cut now, I might only have about 2-3 inches of hair left if I do so, but it's better than the breakage spredding to my root, I'd say?

drich93455
10-12-2011, 11:55 AM
Well, I roller set after every wash which is two times a week max, maybe even once a week. It's short enough that it doesn't touch my neck even. So the only time I have to comb it is to detangle after I wash before I roller set. So I have to comb at some point, I'm trying to weigh the benefits of doing my big cut now, I might only have about 2-3 inches of hair left if I do so, but it's better than the breakage spredding to my root, I'd say?

I guess it depends on whether you think you will like your hair that short, or if you are at least willing to deal with it short for a while. Some of the hair is natural shedding which you will continue to experience even after you cut your hair to some degree. If you are wearing a protective style like a roller set and don't comb for a few days then when you do comb the hair that has been shed for a few days will come out. But, you probably know all this. Personally, I transitioned twice, once with a big chop after wearing braids and once I just let the relaxer grow out (while wearing protective styles) until my hair was long enough that I was comfortable with the length. For my face, I guess I prefer the latter. I always found that the better the shampoo and conditioner, the less breakage I had when combing out. I also used to comb out in small sections.

Exphailure
10-12-2011, 02:45 PM
That small sections hint is helpful, I usually just gently comb the mass. Thanks for all your opinions, I'll come back and let ya'll know what stopped my breakage.

williams_john
11-05-2011, 12:06 AM
Thanks for you guys comments...

williams_john
11-05-2011, 12:12 AM
Hello,
If you are experiencing hair breakage, be assured that you are not alone. About 41-percent of American women admit to being affected by this condition daily. While the average person loses around 50 to 200 hairs each day, when you're suffering from hair breakage you lose considerably more. You may even be left with embarrassing bald spots that you have to conceal with other more prominent hair or, in more severe cases, you may even have to use a wig. This is no fun at all. Your hair is an important part of your overall image, and hair breakage not only affects your appearance, but it can affect your self-image, too.
Internal Causes of Hair Breakage
The causes of hair breakage can lie in a simple nutritional deficiency. Are you eating enough fresh vegetables, fruits, whole grains and good fats? If you answered "no", then this could be the cause of hair breakage in your case. These whole foods contain vitamins, minerals and essential fatty acids that are good for your hair.

A deficiency of these vitamins & minerals can be the cause of hair breakage:
Vitamin B
Vitamin E
Iron
Zinc
Silica
A lack of these whole foods can also be the cause of hair breakage:
Sunflower seeds
Almonds

Walnuts
Dark leafy greens

Try adding these foods, vitamins and minerals to your diet along with a minimum of 64 ounces of water each day and you may restore your hair's health and shine and prevent hair breakage.

Do you think its great tips?

Exphailure
11-10-2011, 10:09 AM
Hey guys, it's been awhile since I've dropped in. Just wanted to update: I got fed up with my breakage and since I don't have my own money (minor) to buy everything I needed to keep my two textures (Natural and Relaxed) healthy I went ahead and cut off most of the relaxed and heat damaged hair.

I'm sportin' a horrible small fro now, with lots of shrinkage! Lol... but at least I can rest knowing that my breakage isn't going to spread to my roots anymore.

I'm thinking it isn't as bad as it seems, when it's wet it can stretch to be long enough for some really slim rollers, now my next challenge is finding money to buy those. + This'll show my dad I ain't playin' around when I say I need something, especially since he's buying $40-50 phone accessories, but that's a story for another time.

nikasut
11-10-2011, 04:11 PM
Aphogeeeeeeeeeeeeeee! for breakage :P

anderson
11-15-2011, 03:56 AM
Apply lemon juice to your hair. After 15 minutes wash with soap or shampoo. When it gets dry apply nigella oil, hair fall will stop. You can also Massage with olive oil befor going to bed.
Mix coconut oil or Mustard oil with lemon juice and apply to your hair at night and wash your hair in morning, hair fall will stop. Lemon juice is also useful and beneficial for nails and hand, your nail will be clean and shiny.
People who are facing the problem of hair fall, mix one spoon of olive oil, one spoon of honey and one teaspoon of cinnamon, apply this mixture to your hair leave it for 15 minutes and then wash it. After few days hair fall will stop and your hair becomes shiny and strong.

nikasut
11-15-2011, 05:04 PM
Apply lemon juice to your hair. After 15 minutes wash with soap or shampoo. When it gets dry apply nigella oil, hair fall will stop. You can also Massage with olive oil befor going to bed.
Mix coconut oil or Mustard oil with lemon juice and apply to your hair at night and wash your hair in morning, hair fall will stop. Lemon juice is also useful and beneficial for nails and hand, your nail will be clean and shiny.
People who are facing the problem of hair fall, mix one spoon of olive oil, one spoon of honey and one teaspoon of cinnamon, apply this mixture to your hair leave it for 15 minutes and then wash it. After few days hair fall will stop and your hair becomes shiny and strong.

I really want to try prepoo with olive oil, what kind of olive oil should I use :confused:

anderson
11-19-2011, 04:17 AM
do you think its good ?

anderson
11-19-2011, 04:19 AM

Brendita
11-19-2011, 06:54 AM
I really want to try prepoo with olive oil, what kind of olive oil should I use :confused:

Cold pressed extra virgin olive oil is best. Use the least expensive one (there's no need to spend a lot of $$$). the most important thing is that it's cold pressed & extra virgin.

nikasut
11-19-2011, 11:49 AM
Cold pressed extra virgin olive oil is best. Use the least expensive one (there's no need to spend a lot of $$$). the most important thing is that it's cold pressed & extra virgin.

And it adds moisture to your hair right ????

AllAboutMe
11-19-2011, 03:54 PM
This thread is very helpful. Thank-you

DrMiracles
11-28-2011, 09:34 AM
Those are some awesome tips!! Really glad that you let everyone know how important clean hair is as well!! Sometimes people just go straight for the moisturizers (which are also extremely important) and forget that healthy strong hair starts with clean, unclogged follicles!

beautifulpeople
12-21-2011, 09:14 AM
Thanks for the tip. my little girl hair was breaking off< i was already deep conditioning it with Mizani reconstructer once a week just wanted to know if i was doing the right thing. thanks again.

churchpickle
12-21-2011, 01:33 PM
Thanks for the tips. I truly feel my hair should be longer than what it is. I will not complain I love it, but I am sure it should be longer because it grows fast. It is like it is at a stand still.

ojaydee
01-05-2012, 04:46 PM
Hi, i noticed that my hair breaks, to thepoint that its all over my hand when i apply pink oil.my hair feels dry n i cant comb it any more. I have to use hair texturizer every to make it feel softer.do you think itscaused by this winter.

augustine
01-08-2012, 10:54 PM
Thanks for sharing hair breakage information. I also frustrating with same problem.

PurplePeony
01-09-2012, 05:17 AM
Hi, i noticed that my hair breaks, to thepoint that its all over my hand when i apply pink oil.my hair feels dry n i cant comb it any more. I have to use hair texturizer every to make it feel softer.do you think itscaused by this winter.

Why do u continue putting pink oil on it if it`s making your hair that dry? Sounds like u need to trash the pink oil & find something moisturizing. :)

leentora
01-10-2012, 07:52 AM

Hun stop using Pink Lotion, I did not realize anyone still use Pink Lotion or had any love for it. Except me :scared: and even me have not use that in years LOL

PrincessRN
01-19-2012, 06:25 PM

I definitely agree with the other ladies. Stop using the Pink oil. It has alcohol in it which can be very drying to the hair and cause breakage.

Dolce and gabana
01-29-2012, 03:11 PM
Thanks for the information :) Im seeing a little breakage and do not know whats going on, it didn't start till I started using the African Hot Six Oil :(

sonydhiman
02-15-2012, 04:38 AM
thanks for the great info

ambitiousgurl
02-17-2012, 06:24 AM
This was very helpful, but I think i am experiencing some breakage