View Full Version : Indian Powders & Oils for Hair Care (All things Ayurvedic)

leentora
12-06-2008, 05:15 PM
Ladies I have been really getting into this Ayurvedic Hair Care so I have been researching daily and nightly to see how I can fully benefit from the Powders and Oils that is available!

Anyways I have researched various powders and they potency and benefits; I also know that some ladies on here have done their research and have knowledge on a lot of these powders and powders not mentioned; therefore all opinions and ideas are welcome that is what BHP is about hehehe.

My aim is for us all that use Indian Hair Powders/Ayurvedic Powders, and for those that may later on wish to try the ayurvedic way; this thread is help in order for us to use them to their fullest and also to try new ways of getting the maximum benefits when using a set of powders; to give insight and the benefits of each powder and what they can do for our hair.

This thread will update consistently with new information and any information from other members are welcome; please share what you have discovered in using these powders & oils also let us know of any if you have discovered new powders that is not listed in this thread; which will be more than welcome!
So here goes the following: You can [click] on the individual name(s) of each powder(s), oil(s) and recipe(s) and the link will take you to that specific post for more information that product! Hope that helps:)!

Ayurvedic Powders Potency:
Neem Leaves Powder
Kalpi Tone Powder
Alma (Indian Gooseberry) Powder
Heenara Herbal Hair Pack
Brahmi Leaves Powder
Shikakai Powder
Orange Peel Powder
Tusli Leaves Powder
Kapoor Kachli Powder
Maka (Bhringraj) Powder
Aritha (soapnut) Powder
Cassia (Senna) Powder
Fenugreek (Methi) Powder
Hibiscus (Meera) or (Jaswand) Powder
Shama Hair Powder
Rose Petal Powder

Benefits of Oils:
Coconut Oil
Jasmine Oil
Castor Oil
Jojoba Oil
Olive Oil
Vatika Oil
Alma Oil
Brahmi Alma Oil
Shikakai Oil
Almond Oil
Sesame Seed Oil
Mustard Seed Oil
Meera Hair Oil
MahaBhringraj (Maka) Hair Oil
Himani Navratna Plus
Trichup Oil
Bio Root Hair Pack
Chanthik Hair Oil
Chaneen Hair Treatment Oil
Anoop Herbal Hair Oil
Parachute Jasmine Perfumes Non Sticky Coconut Oil
Dudhil Herbal Hair Oil

Ayurvedic Recipes
Disclaimer: These recipes are gathers by me from various sources via the internet I take no credit for these recipes, but have compiled a list to share the benefits of using the powders mixed together by the individuals that has made them!

Alma (Indian Gooseberry) Powder recipe
Neem Leaves Powder recipe
Kalpi Tone Powder recipe
Heenara Herbal Hair Pack recipe
Brahmi Leaves Powder recipe
Orange Peel Powder recipe
Tusli Leaves Powder recipe
Kapoor Kachli Powder recipe
Maka (Bhringraj) Powder recipe
Cassia (Senna) Powder recipe
Fenugreek (Methi) Powder recipe
Hibiscus (Meera) or (Jaswand) Powder recipe
Shama Hair Powder recipe

Further Ayurvedic Recipes
Disclaimer: These recipes are gathers by me from various sources via the internet I take no credit for these recipes, but have compiled a list to share the benefits of using the powders mixed together by the individuals that has made them!

Icydove's Wash Mix

Icydove's Herbal Rinse

Shell's Wash Mix

Kissedbyfire's Indian Herbal Wash/Condition

Mira-chan's Hibiscus Conditioner

Mira-chan's Mild Wash Mix I

Mira-chan's Mild Wash Mix II

Mira-chan's Indian herb hair gravy

jasnian0313
12-06-2008, 06:01 PM
oouuhhh leentora...why r u doing this to me...:) lol...ur making me want to buy some more stuff now

leentora
12-07-2008, 11:22 AM
Ayurvedic Powders Potency:
Now Let being with a few the properties pf the powders I will list each powders and describe what their properties are and also list various ways that I found that they were used by different people in order to get the maximum; benefits from each of these Powders.

Neem Leaves Powder
The trusted antibacterial & Anti-dandruff powder.

The antiseptic and curative properties of Neem are legendary. Hesh Neem powder can also be used on hair for treating acute dandruff problems. When used on skin, Hesh Neem powder has an instant germicidal and anti bacterial action that cures allergies, bed sores, prickly heat and rashes. It removes excessive oiliness from the skin pigments and helps fight skin disorders and eruptions. When used generally, the powder acts as a prophylactic. Moreover, the powder is an excellent deodorant and is active against nappy rashes and dried up measles.

Briefly, 'Hesh Neem Leaves Powder' has the following advantages:
- Powerful natural antiseptic
- Cures skin disorders
- Controls natural oil balance of skin
- Clears dandruff

Kalpi Tone Powder
Dark, dandruff free hair.

A natural beauty therapy for hair, Hesh Kalpi Tone adds a dark tinge to the hair and gives it a natural, dark shade. Made from natural ingredients like Aloe, Amla, Brahmi, Shikakai and other herbs, Kalpi Tone helps control dandruff, hair loss and premature greying of hair. The blend has to be used over the scalp, Kalpi Tone may help to strengthen hair roots and promote hair growth.

Briefly, 'Hesh Kapli' Tone has the following advantages:
- Gives a natural black tinge to the hair
- May help to strengthen hair roots
- Promotes hair growth
- Controls hair loss and premature greying

Dark and Healthy Hair Naturally.

Hesh Amla Powder is a natural astringent and skin toner that works on both hair and skin. In botanical terms it is known as Emblic Myrobalan. The paste of this powder helps promote black and luxuriant hair. Even as it controls hair loss, it stimulates roots and promotes hair growth. This apart, it prevents scalp infection and controls premature greying of hair. When used on skin, the paste of this powder brightens the complexion and removes pimples and grime.

Briefly, 'Hesh Amla Powder' has the following advantages:
- Promotes hair growth
- Controls hair loss
- Cures scalp infection
- Controls greying of hair
- Removes pimple and grime

Heenara Herbal Hair Pack
Ayurvedic Colourant, Conditioner and Nourisher for Hair.

Hesh Heenara Hair Pack is nature's answer to hair colouring and conditioning worries. It has been used for centuries as a beautifying agent for hair. Heenara herbal hair pack has Mehendi along with 14 other natural herbs which helps beautify the hair, colour, condition and nourish the hair thereby providing beautiful hair. The product is also a natural coolant and thereby relieves headache when applied on the scalp as a paste.

Briefly, 'Hesh Heenara Hair Pack' has the following advantages:
- Beauty secret for hair
- Helps colour and condition the hair
- Acts as a coolant

Brahmi Leaves Powder
Ayurveda's most potent Hair Vitaliser

Hesh Brahmi Leaves Powder comes as a succour for those with chronic problems with hair. Hair loss, hair thinning, premature greying have become part of the metro life. But nature has a solution for every problem. Hesh Brahmi Powder may help to make hair dark, dense and lustrous. It also strengthens the hair roots, thus controlling hair thinning and hair loss. Regular use leads to control of premature greying. When massaged on the scalp, the product clears dandruff.

Briefly, 'Hesh Brahmi Powder' has the following advantages:
- May help to make hair dark, dense and lustrous
- Strengthens hair roots
- Stops premature greying
- Controls dandruff

Shikakai Powder
Dirt Buster for your Scalp

Hesh Shikakai Powder acts as a natural astringent for hair enhancing its binding properties. It clears dandruff and cleans the dirt accumulated in the scalp. Being a natural conditioner for hair, Shikakai strengthens hair roots and promotes luxuriant growth. Hesh Shikakai Powder has certain vital proprieties that act as coolants for the scalp. This powder has to be mixed with appropriate quantity of water and used as a paste on the hair, instead of the soap.

Briefly, 'Hesh Shikakai Powder' has the following advantages:
- Provides new life to hair strands
- Strengthens hair roots
- Clears dandruff
- Keeps the scalp clean and cool

Orange Peel Powder
Discover a soft, glowing face.

Hesh Orange Peel Powder - an effective astringent and skin toning agent, Hesh Orange Peel Powder adds glow to the face and leaves it exuberating with life. The paste has to be massaged on the skin for the cleaning action. This stimulates the skin, clears the pores. Regular use is known to clear acne, spots and skin blemishes. In fact, the paste can even be applied to the hair to make it soft, manageable, shinny and supple.

Briefly, 'Hesh Orange Peel Powder' has the following advantages:
- Natural astringent and Skin Toner
- Cleans pores
- Removes acne, spots and skin blemishes
- Makes hair soft, shiny and manageable

Tusli Leaves Powder
Cures dandruff. Protects your skin

Hesh Tulsi Leaves Powder is a formulation made from Tulsi or Basil Leaf. Tulsi is mentioned in Padam Purana - "Just half a leaf of Tulsi is as useful in keeping a body healthy and away from diseases, as all the items and medicines made from all the flowers and leaves of the world". Tulsi leaves have significant remedial qualities with respect to dandruff and some skin ailments. It has an effective anti-bacterial quality. It also protects and moisturises the skin without obstructing the pores. It leaves a mat complexion and can be used as a make-up base if your skin is oily. Tulsi has very effective anti-pollution properties.

Briefly, 'Hesh Tulsi Powder' has the following advantages:
- Anti dandruff and anti-bacterial
- Protects and moisturises skin
- Anti pollutant

Kapoor Kachli Powder
Gift of nature - natural way to thick, lustrous and fragrant hair. Avoid contact with eyes and mouth.

Hesh Kapoor Kachli Powder is a boon for those who want thick, lustrous hair and keep it that way for a long time. The powder made into a thick paste that is used to wash the hair. Regular use promotes hair growth by stimulating the roots. It may also help to make your hair thick and lovely. Moreover, the powder also lends a pleasent purfume to the hair, which lasts for a long time.

Briefly Hesh Kapoor Kachli Powder has the following advantages:
- Stimulates hair roots and promotes hair growth
- Maintains hair texture
- Lends a pleasing perfume to the hair.

Maka (Bhringraj) Powder
Gift of nature - cleap scalp, cleaner skin
Avoid contact with eyes and mouth.

Hesh Maka powder is a unique Ayurvedic formulation that aids the treatment of scalp and hair problems. The powder, when massaged into the scalp as a paste, helps remove scurf or incrustations that may have formed on the scalp. In fact, it also cures alopecia. The products advantages go beyond hair application. When applied on the skin, it helps cure various skin diseases.

Briefly Hesh Maka powder has the following advantages:
- Removes scurf
- Cures alopecia
- Makes hair dense and promotes hair growth
- Cures skin disease.

Aritha (soapnut) Powder
Hesh Aritha is a natural cleansing agent recommended by Aruyvedic experts. When used on the skin, the powder cleanses the pores and helps the skin breathe better. It also improves the skin texture over a period of usage. As a shampoo, it cleans hair completely. It is specially recommended for washing oily hair. The powder has excellent foaming and shampooing properties. Aritha Powder is also recommended for washing silk, woollen clothes, silver and gold ornaments and utensils.

Briefly, Hesh Aritha Powder has the following advantages:
- Cleans scalp thoroughly
- Excellent as a natural shampoo
- Gives hair natural gloss and bounce
- Can be used to clean ornaments, clothes and utensils

Cassia (Senna)Obovata Powder
High grade fine powdered Cassia (Senna) Obovata
Cassia is also referred to as senna or neutral henna as it contains very little dye content

It can be used on grey for a blond colouring and used with henna for a copper red and strawberry bond colours.

Its acts as a super fine hair conditioner; this is like giving a Christmas present! It Will leave your hair feeling smoooooth and shiny!!!

100% natural Cassia Obovata

Fenugreek (Methi) Powder
(will provide details soon)

Hibiscus (Meera) or (Jaswand) Powder
Prevents hair fall.
Also, thickens hair and prevents baldness.
Not only stimulates glands but also increases the hair growth.
Regular use of Hibiscus powder keeps hair soft and manageable.
Imparts dark color to hair.
Prevents dandruff and scalp irritation.

Shama Hair Powder
Best quality of Henna and rare herbal powders like Bhringraj, Hibiscus, Methi, Amla and other herbs helps for hair darkening, conditioning, controlling dandruff and prevents hair loss.

Rose Petal Powder
Hesh Rose Petal Powder is created from finest rose petals that are cured to perfection. The powder is an essential ingredient in many face packs, hair packs, hair oils and perfumes because of its cooling properties and soothing fragrance. For centuries rose has been used in perfumes and as a coolant for eyes and body. It is elso effective in curing skin infections, inflammation, swellin gand prickly heat.

Briefly, Hesh Rose Petal Powder has the following advantages:
- natural Cooling Agent
- Soothing fragrance
- Cures skin infections

Bodybutter
12-07-2008, 04:56 PM
Aryuvedic oils, powders-definitely a part of my hair care rotation.

leentora
12-07-2008, 04:59 PM
I have loads more info to add I will do it daily and make it fit as much as possible in one posting lol, I am glad you ladies love it so far :)

bwell2u
12-08-2008, 12:17 AM
Thanks for the info. I'll have to try some of these myself. I have used neem oil in the past and it did wonders for my hair.

munchy
12-08-2008, 11:37 AM
This child is gonna make me go broke :D

leentora
12-08-2008, 11:49 AM
This child is gonna make me go broke :D

lol sorry! :D I like to share :p

mssnu
12-08-2008, 11:56 AM
I have never used the powders b4. I think when I am ready for new products these will be the ones I invest in.

Thanks!

rajingbutterfli
12-31-2008, 01:26 PM
Thank you sooooo much girl for posting this! I am about to be a product junkie for indian products! Have you seen HairVeda.com??

Bodybutter
03-29-2009, 02:15 PM
Last night I pulled mustard oil through my hair, let it soak in about 10 minutes, shampooed with Shikaki liquid soap, rinsed then did a Lekair deep conditining for 20 minues. I rinsed, towel blotted then combed though with my shea butter mixture, ORS carrot cream on the ends. Tangle free, soft results then and now. Glad I discovered the importance of oiling before using the shikaki or I'd have tangles.

Theresa0804
04-01-2009, 06:39 AM
Hi, I am new to Black Hair Planet & the whole Ayurvedic experience. I have been reseaching forever and just yesterday and today have been finding a wealth of data from those who have experience with the hair portion of it all. Your information is by far one of the most informative. My hair is completely natural (perm, relaxer, texurizer free), so, moisturizing is my best friend or else this hair would be unbearable. I know it's a year later since you've posted in this section, do you plan on posting any updates? I did see your hair regime, and thank you for that too. (it has the ayurveda products you use) Don't mean to be greedy, because honestly, you've done a LOT. Thank you in advance.

creolesugar
04-01-2009, 09:11 PM
I can't wait to tryyyyyyyyy allllllllll of this

leentora
04-02-2009, 04:03 AM
:eek: Shoooot I forgot aout this post it not complete yet, I have loads more info I post it!

creolesugar
04-02-2009, 03:38 PM
:eek: Shoooot I forgot aout this post it not complete yet, I have loads more info I post it!

woohoo go ahead then. complete it lol

Bodybutter
04-05-2009, 12:58 PM
Seriously getting back into the Indian oils, powders and herbs. I've used the mustard oil, shikaki shampoo and added Tulsi tea rinse and daily spritz back into my regimen as of the last few weeks. Warmer weather and more natural hair growth has me feeling the regimen again. East Indian women have some healthy looking hair.

wstephanie
06-24-2009, 08:53 PM
Leentora,

This is great information! very informative!

Sonsireegemini
06-25-2009, 09:06 AM
Thanks for the background info on some of the powders. I have recently started to use some oils and i love them.

Theresa0804
07-05-2009, 02:33 PM
Beginning my first use today.

Vermelha
07-05-2009, 07:29 PM
Beginning my first use today.

What are you trying?

Nasdaq_Diva
07-06-2009, 10:03 PM
I love my Ayurveda!

I own Amla oil, brahmi, Tulsi, neem, aritha, henna I feel like I'm missing something lol...

Vermelha
07-07-2009, 06:14 AM
I love my Ayurveda!

I own Amla oil, brahmi, Tulsi, neem, aritha, henna I feel like I'm missing something lol...

shikakai, but they say aritha is the same thing. I have both shikakai and aritha. I want brahmi too!

Nasdaq_Diva
07-07-2009, 11:20 AM
shikakai, but they say aritha is the same thing. I have both shikakai and aritha. I want brahmi too!

I don't own shikakai. There is a girl I've been considering buying from, but I dunno. Aritha is stronger than shikakai..you can wash ur clothes with that mess (aritha) I only use like 1/2 teaspoon of it, and it gets my hair clean :eek:

Also..get the brahmi..it's so moisturizing. I love it so much, hence my avatar pic lmao.

wstephanie
10-22-2009, 04:33 PM
Leentora thanks go much for ayurvedic information. Look forward to more postings from you.

leentora
10-31-2009, 08:24 PM
Ok peeps the rest of information is loooooong ovedue I will have to it daily as I have sheets of research on my PC it tooks me weeks to gather it all when I did it a year ago lol so here go peeps! :)

leentora
10-31-2009, 08:45 PM
Benefits of Oils:
Now let’s discover the benefits of the oils and how use them also in between the using your hair powders, by doing this you will reap the full benefits from Ayurvedic hair care.

Coconut Oil
Gift of nature: For soft, silky and healthy hair.

Regular use may have the following action:
Coconut Oil is enriched with the natural goodness of Coconut Oil, which on massaging, nourishes the scalp, promoting hair growth, giving you soft, silky and healthy hair. Regular use may help to prevent hair loss, and premature greying of hair. It's fresh, lingering fragrance stays with you all day long.

Usage:
Apply Coconut Oil regularly on your scalp and hair. For best results, massage gently into scalp with circular motions and leave it on overnight.

Jasmine Oil
Natural, refreshing and nourishing formula for soft, smooth and beautiful hair, with natural jasmine oil and coconut and castor oil.

Jasmine Enriched Hair Oil contains natural Jasmine (Chameli) oil which is known for its soothing and relaxing properties. The formulation combines the goodness of vegetable, coconut, castor and mineral oils, which moisturise and nourish the hair and scalp. Being light and non-greasy, it washes out easily, leaving hair feeling soft, smooth and beautiful. A gentle massage on the scalp is soothing and restful, which helps release tension and relax the spirit. Its fresh lingering fragrance stays with you all day long.

Usage:
Apply Jasmine Oil regularly on your scalp and hair. For best results, massage gently (do not rub) into the scalp and hair using circular motions for a few minutes and leave on overnight. It can also be used for hair conditioning after shampoo. If oil enters eyes, rinse with water.

Castor Oil
Gift of nature: For thicker, darker and denser hair.

Castor Herbal Hair Oil is a blend of refined Vegetable Oil and Castor Oil which nourishes your scalp and strengthens the root of your hair, giving you thicker, darker and denser hair. Regular massaging keeps mind cool and fresh.

Usage:
Apply Castor Herbal Hair Oil regularly on your scalp and hair. For best results, massage gently into scalp with circular motions and leave on overnight.

Jojoba Oil
Still researching

Olive Oil
Still researching

Vatika Oil
Pure Coconut Oil with Henna, Amla and Lemon

Vatika is a premium Coconut Hair Oil enriched with Henna, Amla, Lemon and six other trusted herbs. Vatika's unique natural formulation ensures deeper oil penetration to give your hair and scalp complete nourishment for problem free, healthy hair.

HENNA, along with other herbs, coats your hair, protects it from oxidation, maintaining its natural colour.

AMLA, strengthens the roots of your hair to help maintain their health and natural thickness.

The astringent action of LEMON control sebum grow.

Directions for use:
Apply Vatika hair oil regularly on your scalp and hair. For best results, leave it on overnight.

Alma Oil
Gift of nature: for darker and healthier hair growth.

Amla Herbal Hair Oil has a unique formulation enriched with Amla and other trusted herbs which strengthens the root and darkens the hair, to maintain their health and natural thickness, with blend of refined Vegetable Oil, Castor Oil and Coconut Oil, it ensures deeper oil penetration to give your hair and scalp complete nourishment providing beautiful, healthy hair.

Usage:
Apply Amla Hair Oil regularly on your scalp and hair. For best results, massage gently into scalp with circular motions and leave it on overnight.

Brahmi Alma Oil
Natural Double nourishing formula that helps the hair growth from the root look thick and strong.

Brahmi & Amla for nourishment with strength, with extract of brahmi, shankapushpi, malakanguni, nirgundi, godavaj, coconut oil and castor oil.

Brahmi Amla Enriched Herbal Hair Oil contains extracts of Brahmi and Amla, which are used for their nourishing and refreshing properties since ancient times. The formulation combines the goodness of Brahmi, Amla and other trusted herbs and natural oils, which penetrates deep providing nourishment to help the hair growth from root look thick and strong. A daily gentle massage on the scalp is refreshing and helpful.

Usage:
Apply Brahmi Alma Enriched Herbal Oil regularly on your scalp and hair. For best results, massage gently (do not rub) into hair and scalp with circular motions for a few minutes and leave it on overnight. If oil enters eyes, rinse with water.

Shikakai Oil
Natural non-greasy formula for clean & fresh scalp to help hair grow beautiful and healthy, with extract of skikakai, aloe vera, amla, brahmi, maka, methi and natural oils like coconut, castor and sandal.

Shikakai Enriched Herbal Hair Oil contains extract of shikakai which is known for its natural cleansing and non-greasy properties since ancient times. The formulation combines the goodness of Shikakai with other trusted herbs, which on application combats the build-up of sebum on your scalp, to help hair grow beautifully and healthily. With a blend of natural oils like coconut, castor and sandal, it provides complete nourishment with refreshment. Being naturally light and non-greasy, it easily spreads coats and protects every strand of your hair, leaving it soft, smooth and manageable

Usage:
Apply Shikakai Herbal Oil regularly on your scalp and hair. For best results, massage gently (do not rub) into the scalp and hair using circular motions for a few minutes and leave on overnight. If oil enters eyes, rinse with water.

Almond Oil
Gift of nature: Enriched with Natural Herbs

Almond Hair Oil is a blend of Coconut, Almond and other oils mixed together with natural herbs. When applied, this oil penetrates deep down into the scalp, nourishing each strand of hair from tip to root, promoting hair growth. The effective coating it provides protects the hair from sun, preventing the greying of you hair, giving you strong lustrous, problem free hair.

- Enriched with almond oil and natural herbs
- Spreads easily and evenly
- Protects scalp from dandruff
- Keeps your hair healthy and beautiful.

MahaBhringraj (Maka) Hair Oil
Natural nourishing formula for thick, strong and healthy-looking, beautiful dark hair.

Provides healthy nourishment to weak hair roots, dry scalp & hair with fair appearance, with extract of maka (bhringaraj), hansraj, gunja, patola, curry leaf, indrayan, bawachi & other herbs and natural oils like avocado, almond, coconut, sweet basil, german chamomile and thyme.

Directions for use:
Mahabhringaraj Maka Enriched Hair Oil regularly on your scalp and hair. For best results, massage gently (do not rub) into the scalp and hair using circular motions for a few minutes and leave on overnight. If oil enters eyes, rinse with water.

Mahabhringaraj Maka Enriched Hair Oil contains extract of Maka (bhringaraj) which has been used as a natural source of hair care since ancient times. The formulation combines the goodness of Maka with other trusted herbs, which on regular application provide healthy nourishment to dry scalp and weak hair roots. With a blend of quality natural oils like avocado, sweet almond and coconut, it ensures deeper oil penetration to moisturise and provide thick, strong and healthy-looking, dark lustrous hair. Regular or prolonged use on lighter hair may result in some darkening of the natural hair colour.

Natural essential oils like german chamomile, sweet basil and thyme are soothing and restful. A gentle massage helps relieve tension and so relaxes the spirit.

leentora
10-31-2009, 08:47 PM
Himani Navratna Plus
Himani Navratna Plus Herbal Cool Oil has been formulated at Himani after years of intensive research. Enriched with herbal extracts, this unique blend of oils and herbs is effective for both men and women and for head and body massage as well as hair care.

Navratna Plus and Stress Relief: a massage with Herbal Cool Oil relaxes the muscles, while its cooling effect on the scalp and body soothes and relieves tension, helping you sleep more naturally. It soothes, relaxes and tones body muscles.

Navratna Plus and Hair: easily absorbed by massaging the scalp, Herbal Cool Oil helps in improving blood circulation. This strengthens and rejuvenates the hair roots, giving extra protection against greying and premature hair loss.

Himani Navratna Plus Herbal Cool Oil contains:
Sesame Oil - quick penetrating oil for massage, promotes growth of strong, dark hair
Menthol - tones and refreshes oily skin, cools the scalp and helps minimise dandruff
Amla - natural source of vitamin C, keeps skin cool, helps promote strong and healthy hair
Camphor- soothes muscles, cools and conditions the scalp, helps minimise dandruff
Thyme - tones the skin, helps strengthen hair roots
Rosemary Oil- conditions the skin, helps promote hair growth

Directions: apply liberally on the scalp or desired area and massage gently. As the oil is absorbed in to the skin, you will feel a cooling, relaxing and refreshing effect.

Sesame Seed Oil
Commonly used for hair and cooking.
This is best oil to use when infusing other herbs by cooking.
Can be applied between washing but, referred as a pre-wash oil as it has a stronger scent than coconut.

Mustard Seed Oil
It is used more in Northern India, for the scalp and for medicinal body massages. It brings circulation to the scalp due to its mild irritating properties, similar to cayenne pepper. It has anti-bacterial properties. Do not try to infuse herbs in this by heating as it produces noxious fumes.
Applied pre-wash to scalp only; Has a strong scent.

Meera Hair Oil
It contains coconut oil enriched with Hibiscus, Amla, Henna, Bhringraj and Fenugreek. To add difference to the product amidst competition, a porous cylinder containing the actual herbs is immersed in coconut oil, which has already been pretreated with herbs. This is done to nourish the oil consistently through the pores of the cylinder. The product is formulated to provide nourishment for hair roots and add sheen to the texture of hair.

Trichup Oil
Premium Hair Nourishment
• Checks falling hair and induces fresh growth
• Prevents fungal infections, reduces dandruff
• Improves blood circulation to hair follicles
• Revitalizes hair, gives it bounce and luster
• Increase hair melanin content and delays graying.
Trichup Oil, a Premium Hair Care product, has earned the trust of medical fraternity because of its marvellous results. Trichup revitalizes hair by repairing damaged hair shaft, provides essential nutrients to encourage fresh follicular growth, checks dandruff and reduces falling of hair. Trichup helps delay graying by increasing hair melanin content. With regular use, Trichup ensures long healthy and black hair.

Chanthik Hair Oil
With rich herbs that make your hair grow thicker, darker, healthier. Chanthik Ayurvedic Hair Oil contains herbs mentioned in ancient Indian texts that Indian women have used for centuries to grow thick and healthy hair. Use Chanthik Ayurvedic Hair Oil regularly. And watch scalp problems improve, hair begin to thicker, darker and longer.

Application
With 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon oil rubbed over both palms, gently massage scalp till you feel heat in each point. The heat activates and absorbs the special herbs in the oil.

This preparation contains Neem and other precious oils, which help to enhance hair beauty, strengthen the hair and make it appear thick, healthy and lustrous.

Method of Use [Shaneem Hair Treatment Oil]
Apply on scalp with cotton wool at night, once a week. Leave on. Wash hair the next morning.
You may also be applied on the scalp with a light massage.

Anoop Herbal Hair Oil
Description:
Anoop Hair Oil strengthens weak hair, and promotes growth. It contains Milk, Coconut Oil base, & Indian Herbs.

Description:
Parachute Jasmine is a light, fragrant oil that can be used everyday to nourish and style your hair. It has the goodness of pure coconut oil and the essence of fragrant jasmine to give you healthy, non-sticky, free flowing and fragrant hair.

Dudhi Herbal Hair Oil
Gift of nature: Keeps mind fresh and cool

Dudhi Herbal Hair Oil has a unique formulation containing extract of Dudhi, known for its natural cooling effect, with other best of nature's ingredients, which on massaging on scalp, refreshes your mind, relieving tension, makes you feel active and provides strong root and healthy hair. With a blend of refined Vegetable Oil, Castor Oil, and Coconut Oil, it coats every strand of your hair, protecting from sun, dust and pollution giving your hair and scalp, nourishment for thick, long, dark and vibrant hair, problem free hair. Lingering fragrance stays with you all day long. Regular use may help to relieve headache, burning of the sole and to improve eye-sight.

Usage:
Apply Dudhi Herbal Hair Oil regularly on your scalp and hair. For best results, massage gently into scalp with circular motions and leave it on overnight.

Sugardime_30
10-31-2009, 09:43 PM
Leentora, thanks for the post. There is so much info in this thread that I had to subscribe.

:)

leentora
10-31-2009, 10:00 PM
Leentora, thanks for the post. There is so much info in this thread that I had to subscribe.

:)

:D lol I will post some more info tomorrow, I have some recipes to post up so I will do that then, I am glad it is helpful, I want to get it done in me for when we start the ayurvedic challenge ppl can read through and decide which powders or oils will benefit them.

Watch the space for more info ;)

Choconom
11-01-2009, 08:37 PM
Can you use the Ayurvedic powders with like regular conditioner? Im considering using Chagrin Valley's new Ayurvedic shampoo bar, so just finding out some info =).

leentora
11-01-2009, 09:18 PM
Can you use the Ayurvedic powders with like regular conditioner? Im considering using Chagrin Valley's new Ayurvedic shampoo bar, so just finding out some info =).

Yes you can, I have done it in the past where I use a whole bottle of regular conditioner that I would use for co-wash, I pour the conditioner into a bowl and add the correct amount of powders and mix well add back to the bottle and use as my weekly/bi-weekly co-was. It worked well :) HTH

leentora
11-02-2009, 08:31 PM
Ayurvedic Recipes:
Disclaimer: These recipes are gathers by me from various sources via the internet I take no credit for these recipes, but have compiled a list to share the benefits of using the powders mixed/herbs together by the individuals that has made them!

Hair Tonic:
Take equal weights of Avuri (Indigo/indiofera tinctoria) leaves, Bringhraj (Wadelia calendulacea/eclipta prostrata), fresh amla and hibiscus flowers and grind to a paste. Mix the paste with an equal quantity of coconut oil and heat on a medium fire till the moisture evaporates. Cool, filter and store in a bottle. Rub on the scalp and hair daily.

Homemade shampoo
For clean and shiny hair, make this shampoo at home. Soak Shikakai seeds, soapnuts (ritha) and dried amla overnight. In the proportion of 2:2:1. Next morning, boil them in water for 15 minutes. Remove the seeds and blend the pulp in a mixer. Store this mixture in the refrigerator and use once a week.

Hair Oil with Dry Amla
The amla fruit cut into pieces is dried in shade. These pieces are boiled in coconut oil till the solid matter becomes like charred dust. This darkish oil is an excellent oil to prevent graying.

Amla Rinse Water
The water in which dried amla pieces are soaked overnight is also nourishing to hair. This water should be used for the last rinse while washing hair.

leentora
11-03-2009, 08:46 PM
Brahmi Leaves Powder
HAIR OIL PREPARATION: Brahmi taila (Ointment): The leaves of 'Brahmi' or 'Mandukaparni' can be used to make the oil. Leaves of 'Mandukaparni' or Indian penny wort (centella Asiactica) is taken in 2 parts, sesame oil 2 parts, powder of clove 1\8th part and cardamom 1\8th part are mixed together and boiled till all the water evaporates. It is sieved and applied to the scalp. This gives colour to your hair.

RINSE:
To use brahmi (Centella asiatica) powder for hair, make a hot water infusion with the powder and strain it. The tea can be used to rinse the hair after shampooing.

Shikakai Powder
Method of use: The normal practice is to apply oil to hair and scalp and allow it soak for sometime. This will keep the body cool, reducing body heat & also prevent the scalp from getting dry. The powdered shikakai is then used as a shampoo (the powder is mixed with water) to wash off the oil.

Shikakai can be mixed with powders like Aritha or Amla. Shikakai can also be mixed with fenugreek powder, powdered rose petals and powdered mung beans

For clean and shiny hair, make this shampoo at home. Soak shikakai seeds, soapnuts (ritha) and dried amla overnight. in the proportion of 2:2:1. Next morning, boil them in water for 15 minutes. REmove the seeds and blend the pulp in a mixer. Store this mixture in the refrigerator and use once a week.

Orange Peel Powder
Hair-wash powder:
Mix the following: Dry orange peel – 100 gm, fenugreek seeds – 100 gm, Haritaki – 10 gm, tail-pepper (piper cubera) – 10 gm, mung dal - Ό kg,
and grind them together and store. Apply on scalp to wash hair.

Can be used twice a week.

Tusli Leaves Powder
Still researching recipes

Kapoor Kachli Powder
Still researching recipes

virtuouswoman
11-03-2009, 11:58 PM
Thanks Leen!!!! Allways so helpful!!!

Saunta2
11-06-2009, 12:15 PM
Last week I was buying some Nubian Heritage soaps and the rastafarian guy was trying to get me to buy one containing neem oil. He insisted it was very good and that he has been drinking neem tea for ages. Last night on television a rastafarian woman was talking about the neem plant and it being good for skin and hair. So I decided to do some more research today and came across a site that mentioned that neem oil is used in many Ayurveda products. I was like, I know that word, I saw it before then I remembered here and searched for it.

I am so surprised at the amount of times in one week I have been coming across a reference to this neem oil. I also read that it is a very good contraceptive. Ladies used to soak cotton wool in neem oil and put it in you know where for about 15 minutes before intercourse and it worked as a spermicide. So they did a research where 100 men were given a neem oil capsule for a year and none of their wives got pregnant for the whole year. I actually contemplated going into town tomorrow to ask the guy if he has kids, but I'm not sure if he would like the discussion as I tried to talk to him about a shampoo he was selling that he told me was all natural but still had in sulphates and stuff in it. He took one look at my straight hair and started telling me off about relaxers. LOL. I don't think he would like me telling him that his neem tea is stopping him from being a dad, if it is a fact that he has no kids. He was very convincing about his neem oil. I went back last week to show him my hair was no longer straight but had been flat ironed and to buy 2 more nubian heritage soaps. But I am going to research this neem oil some more and think about buying the soap.

lamaria211
11-06-2009, 12:43 PM
i would like to try henna i think, is it for strength?

Amina
11-06-2009, 04:41 PM
i would like to try henna i think, is it for strength?

Yes it strengthens the hair as it conditions.

lamaria211
11-09-2009, 08:52 AM
going to get my henna this weekend, but i do have a great leave in by pantene (nature fusion) and the second ingredient is cassia( i didnt know what this was prior) i used it after i read this post and i love it thanks leen

Theresa0804
04-23-2010, 06:58 AM
Ms. Leentora....Let me start by stating this. THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU. I can't say it enough. So it's been nearly a year for me testing, sampling and figuring out what my hair hates and absolutely loves with this Ayurvedic process. I've even gone so far as to figure out my "Dosha" lol. Anywho, I have blown off my workouts with cardio & weights for the past year and just made the decision to Kinky Twist my entire head. I did it myself (forced myself to learn). Now I know why the girls in the braid shop would always want me there first thing in the morning, (even though they were ALWAYS late). Mamma's got a TON of hair. Sorry, off topic. OK getting back on track...I love my Ayurvedic process, I use the Teas, with the exception of the Henna paste, the teas work best for me. Finally...my question is this what do you think about the Ayurvedic uses while in twists or braids? Because my workourt are pretty intense, I didn't want the constant manipulation of my hair to prevent me from working out. I never mind washing and conditioning my hair on a daily basis, I just don't have the time to style my hair. It's a TON. I was just thinking of diluting my teas more than normal. I am diluting my conditioners and ALWAYS using a liquid leave-in. I know you are busy, and I appreciate the time you have to provide some suggestions. Stay beautiful.

mommie8
04-27-2010, 08:22 PM
I love using Amla, Brahmi, & Shikakai pwdrs to I mix them together w/ conditioner, and oils so it forms a paste, Ive been using this paste for about 2months now and this is a part of my regular regimen. I love using indian pwdrs and oils they've been very helpful in keeping my hair moisturized and strong (strenghen). This is a great thread. Thanks Lee :)

SHIRO
04-27-2010, 11:32 PM
I love all natural concotions as beauty aids.my only hitch is inavailability of most of these powders these sides,but i've taken to growing some of these herbs in my backyard like rosemary,tulsi,aloe and brahmi.
Thanks Leen for the recipes,can't wait for those powders to arrive gal....

IAmHealer
07-24-2010, 07:10 AM
wow I'm saving this to my subscribed threads!!!

eyekandy22
07-26-2010, 09:25 PM
About to do my henna treatment tonight- it's been like 6 weeks or something. I haven't been interested in doing anything to my hair lately, except BCing- but I think I'll just trim it. Added some wheatgerm oil- one of the most moisturizing oils on the planet to me, some ACV, and warm distilled water. Keeping it simple- some orange essential oil to try and cut the smell. I love the smell when the henna is on my hair- I hate it 2 days later after CWing several times if I can still smell it.

Sugardime_30
07-27-2010, 07:53 AM
I'm having a hard time finding the powders in NC. I have been ordering online from at least 2 trusty vendors, but not without a price. Will order my henna today to add to my reggie.

short and cute
09-02-2010, 12:50 PM
How do I use the powders?

godiva
09-02-2010, 02:33 PM
Check out what we've been mixing up here:

http://forum.blackhairplanet.com/f113/ayurvedic-challenge-part-i-6330/
http://forum.blackhairplanet.com/f113/mini-ayurvedic-herbs-oils-challenge-grow-grow-grow-8981/

Halibel
10-06-2010, 07:56 PM
OMG!!! After reading up on this info Leen had posted, no wonder yall are into ayurvedic.

I want to try the Brahmi and Alma powders.

And try some alma oil..... *sigh* I am going to hop on this train soon enough.

Eelite
02-08-2011, 10:53 PM
Himani Navratna Plus
Himani Navratna Plus Herbal Cool Oil has been formulated at Himani after years of intensive research. Enriched with herbal extracts, this unique blend of oils and herbs is effective for both men and women and for head and body massage as well as hair care.

Navratna Plus and Stress Relief: a massage with Herbal Cool Oil relaxes the muscles, while its cooling effect on the scalp and body soothes and relieves tension, helping you sleep more naturally. It soothes, relaxes and tones body muscles.

Navratna Plus and Hair: easily absorbed by massaging the scalp, Herbal Cool Oil helps in improving blood circulation. This strengthens and rejuvenates the hair roots, giving extra protection against greying and premature hair loss.

Himani Navratna Plus Herbal Cool Oil contains:
Sesame Oil - quick penetrating oil for massage, promotes growth of strong, dark hair
Menthol - tones and refreshes oily skin, cools the scalp and helps minimise dandruff
Amla - natural source of vitamin C, keeps skin cool, helps promote strong and healthy hair
Camphor- soothes muscles, cools and conditions the scalp, helps minimise dandruff
Thyme - tones the skin, helps strengthen hair roots
Rosemary Oil- conditions the skin, helps promote hair growth

Directions: apply liberally on the scalp or desired area and massage gently. As the oil is absorbed in to the skin, you will feel a cooling, relaxing and refreshing effect.

Sesame Seed Oil
Commonly used for hair and cooking.
This is best oil to use when infusing other herbs by cooking.
Can be applied between washing but, referred as a pre-wash oil as it has a stronger scent than coconut.

Mustard Seed Oil
It is used more in Northern India, for the scalp and for medicinal body massages. It brings circulation to the scalp due to its mild irritating properties, similar to cayenne pepper. It has anti-bacterial properties. Do not try to infuse herbs in this by heating as it produces noxious fumes.
Applied pre-wash to scalp only; Has a strong scent.

Meera Hair Oil
It contains coconut oil enriched with Hibiscus, Amla, Henna, Bhringraj and Fenugreek. To add difference to the product amidst competition, a porous cylinder containing the actual herbs is immersed in coconut oil, which has already been pretreated with herbs. This is done to nourish the oil consistently through the pores of the cylinder. The product is formulated to provide nourishment for hair roots and add sheen to the texture of hair.

Trichup Oil
Premium Hair Nourishment
• Checks falling hair and induces fresh growth
• Prevents fungal infections, reduces dandruff
• Improves blood circulation to hair follicles
• Revitalizes hair, gives it bounce and luster
• Increase hair melanin content and delays graying.
Trichup Oil, a Premium Hair Care product, has earned the trust of medical fraternity because of its marvellous results. Trichup revitalizes hair by repairing damaged hair shaft, provides essential nutrients to encourage fresh follicular growth, checks dandruff and reduces falling of hair. Trichup helps delay graying by increasing hair melanin content. With regular use, Trichup ensures long healthy and black hair.

Chanthik Hair Oil
With rich herbs that make your hair grow thicker, darker, healthier. Chanthik Ayurvedic Hair Oil contains herbs mentioned in ancient Indian texts that Indian women have used for centuries to grow thick and healthy hair. Use Chanthik Ayurvedic Hair Oil regularly. And watch scalp problems improve, hair begin to thicker, darker and longer.

Application
With 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon oil rubbed over both palms, gently massage scalp till you feel heat in each point. The heat activates and absorbs the special herbs in the oil.

This preparation contains Neem and other precious oils, which help to enhance hair beauty, strengthen the hair and make it appear thick, healthy and lustrous.

Method of Use [Shaneem Hair Treatment Oil]
Apply on scalp with cotton wool at night, once a week. Leave on. Wash hair the next morning.
You may also be applied on the scalp with a light massage.

Anoop Herbal Hair Oil
Description:
Anoop Hair Oil strengthens weak hair, and promotes growth. It contains Milk, Coconut Oil base, & Indian Herbs.

Description:
Parachute Jasmine is a light, fragrant oil that can be used everyday to nourish and style your hair. It has the goodness of pure coconut oil and the essence of fragrant jasmine to give you healthy, non-sticky, free flowing and fragrant hair.

Dudhi Herbal Hair Oil
Gift of nature: Keeps mind fresh and cool

Dudhi Herbal Hair Oil has a unique formulation containing extract of Dudhi, known for its natural cooling effect, with other best of nature's ingredients, which on massaging on scalp, refreshes your mind, relieving tension, makes you feel active and provides strong root and healthy hair. With a blend of refined Vegetable Oil, Castor Oil, and Coconut Oil, it coats every strand of your hair, protecting from sun, dust and pollution giving your hair and scalp, nourishment for thick, long, dark and vibrant hair, problem free hair. Lingering fragrance stays with you all day long. Regular use may help to relieve headache, burning of the sole and to improve eye-sight.

Usage:
Apply Dudhi Herbal Hair Oil regularly on your scalp and hair. For best results, massage gently into scalp with circular motions and leave it on overnight.
Leen, that's a wealth of information.

leentora
02-09-2011, 02:33 AM
How do I use the powders?

The powders can be used in a paste form or used to brew a tea that you can use to rinse your hair.

leentora
02-09-2011, 02:35 AM
@Hailibel, I love it Ayurvedic, it is awesome stuff ;).

@Eelite, thanks hun, a lot of work went into researching and compiling the info, glad you find it useful.

Eelite
02-09-2011, 04:01 PM
I really love this stuff!

esshine
03-25-2011, 06:27 PM
I have tried some of the Indian Oils (Ayuredic) in my hair - use them asd a hot oil treatment. Afterwards my hair is very soft and easier to comb (I have natural hair). I buy them at this Indian store where I live.

BrownShuga
05-15-2011, 07:04 PM
I've been buying Ayurvedic powders and oils from the Indian Grocery store and they are actually really cheap! Most of the powders are like, $2.99 each and you mix them and only use 1 or 2 tablespoons per use. The oils vary, but the most expensive one was a 20 oz bottle for 10 bucks. So far, I'm really excited and diligent about my new regimen!

Iwanthealthyhair67
10-30-2012, 10:59 AM
Hi Leen,

any ideas on how to to use the Dapur Mehendi Powder and what is it good for?

hanna_light
11-16-2012, 02:29 PM
Hi Leen,

any ideas on how to to use the Dapur Mehendi Powder and what is it good for?

Don't let the fancy moniker fool you Mehendi is just plain old henna and I would assume that one would prepare it like any other Henna.

hanna_light
11-16-2012, 02:33 PM
I purchased Vatika and Amla oil today for the first time I am so excited it add it to my regumin.

rummy26
08-03-2013, 03:07 AM
I always go for fenugreek powder for my hair..

Kokome10
11-08-2013, 08:36 PM
I use methi (fenugreek) in my hair. Makes it so soft!