View Full Version : Sponge Or Plastic Rollers

denalove
03-19-2008, 11:41 PM
Ok ladies,
So if u use rollers at all...which do you see better results with? With sponge, I've noticed more body, and so much more comfy to sleep in. The only pro to plastic is that they stay locked in place better but so difficult to sleep in.

denalove
03-19-2008, 11:46 PM
I chose plastic because that's what i've mostly used as an adult..however, i have been resorting back to sponge due to a woman i know whose hair has so much body and she attributes it to sponges. I shoulda did a both option, huh?

Dividir
03-20-2008, 06:31 AM
Im not sure. But All I can say is definately not Velcro!!

I have ceramic velcr rollers. ANd I have decided to use them only on weave and when I get a wig. They dont snag much but sometimes its just a hasell to get the last 1 out of my hair

The Anti Hair Slave
03-20-2008, 11:26 AM
Foam, Plastic, or rags! I've been learning that you can use almost anything to create curls... I use plastic for roller sets and foam flexi rods or perm rods (plastic) for other types of curls.

denalove
03-20-2008, 10:46 PM
Wow, it surprises me that noone likes sponge. Why not ladies, may I ask??

shay2biz
08-06-2008, 10:36 AM
sponge rollers are better for the hair than plastic because while you are sleeping you move and the plastic rollers are hard and hurt while sleeping and they also pull and rip your hair as you sleep but sponge rollers are flexible and light making it easier while you are sleep.

Q-TPIE
08-07-2008, 08:12 PM
I don't use rollers at all but I remember wearing the sponge ones when I was little and they always made my hair come out when I took them out!

leentora
08-08-2008, 03:28 AM
I use rollers for years, I rollerset my own hair, I have always used the plastic rollers, I never liked the sponge to me, sponge absorb moisture or liquid for instance, so knowing this I nevre thought they were a good idea - AGAIN this is my opinion - I could be wrong.

Dividir
08-08-2008, 03:15 PM
those spongy foam coverd rods are ok.. but those are (well mine) are really for waves

HairObsessed
01-12-2009, 02:03 AM
Who here sleeps in hard rollers after a wet set? (Granted they are not the BIG 3 inch ones)

munchy
01-12-2009, 07:16 AM
I use the plastic rollers. I've tries the sponge rollers, and it takes forever and a day to dry.

mssnu
01-12-2009, 06:49 PM
I just bought the covered sponge rollers and the flex rods. I am going to try them this weekend.

Dividir
01-13-2009, 02:43 AM
do the spongey ones dry up your hair?

munchy
01-13-2009, 06:49 AM
do the spongey ones dry up your hair?

I'm not sure if they dry up your hair, but what I did was soak them in Olive Oil for about a minute.

Mz. JJ
02-03-2009, 06:36 PM
I use plastic rollers. I prefer those to the sponge rollers because they do not tingle in my hair. In the past when I used sponge rollers they would get so tangled in my hair and I would have knots at the ends of my hair. It was just a mess and I have never wore them since.

Tall, Black Canadian
02-03-2009, 09:32 PM
I use plastic for sitting under the dryer (or playing with my daughter). I use pillow rollers and end papers if I'm doing something like a twist out, or if I want a little bend on my hair ends. They are wonderful to sleep in, but without end papers my hair feels dry and the ends get caught/tangled.

Marsy
03-21-2009, 02:56 PM
I use rollers for years, I rollerset my own hair, I have always used the plastic rollers, I never liked the sponge to me, sponge absorb moisture or liquid for instance, so knowing this I nevre thought they were a good idea - AGAIN this is my opinion - I could be wrong.

I agree Leentora, since I was a teen I've been hearing about sponge rollers sucking the moisture out of your hair. And if you think about it - what do household sponges do? Suck things up! So I use plastic. I have the ones with the plastic caps but they are so hard to sleep with, I'm thinking of getting those metal clips to hold them in place instead of caps.

kara
03-30-2009, 09:37 PM
Who here sleeps in hard rollers after a wet set? (Granted they are not the BIG 3 inch ones)

I have and they hurt!! You have to sleep alot like a giraffe!:D

dancerTJ
05-07-2009, 07:29 PM
I have both, for initial setting my hair I like the plastic curls. Every now and then, I use the sponge, for over nite setting b/c they are softer and I can sleep in them.

Trendolyn
05-07-2009, 07:33 PM
I don't like the sponges b/c it makes my curl too tight.. But I can deal with them if I only use them every other night.

dancerTJ
05-07-2009, 07:49 PM
Hey Trendolyn, nice to see , you are on BHP. The sponge rolls realy curl your hair tight. I use the really big 2' ones.

Trendolyn
05-07-2009, 08:01 PM
Hey Trendolyn, nice to see , you are on BHP. The sponge rolls realy curl your hair tight. I use the really big 2' ones.

Yeah I have been gone a few days but thanks for noticing.... I was thinking that I should try some larger ones.... maybe I'll like them better.. b/c the smaller ones are giving me a not so good look!

curlcrew2
05-08-2009, 01:24 AM
I love my satin sponge rollers to help keep my roller set when I work my 7 days straight....Now that I am not using direct heat any this summer that will prolly be my besties....;)

sexymami17
05-08-2009, 02:43 AM
I Used Plastic To Rollerset Wet Hair But Sometimes If I Want Quick Waves I Use Sponge One.

denalove
05-08-2009, 07:32 AM
I Used Plastic To Rollerset Wet Hair But Sometimes If I Want Quick Waves I Use Sponge One.

when wet??? I'm curious how that'll work out.

LilMissRed
05-08-2009, 07:43 AM
I use 'pillow curlers' which I found @Avon LOVE THEM!

hair4me09
12-17-2009, 03:26 PM
I like sponge rollers, I would say moisturize really well at night before rolling to hold some moisture in and you should be okay

naomimaxine927
12-17-2009, 03:48 PM

I do I use cold wave rods. They hurt to sleep in, but beauty is painful sometimes lol. I can't say I have used sponge kind before, but if I ever wanted to try them, I'd get the ones with satin on them.

leentora
12-17-2009, 06:43 PM

I use to back in the day I use to rollerset my hair everynight, but honestly when I look back I don't think my brain had fully developed then :rolleyes:, now I try doing it and they hurt like heck, so I don't do it too often, every now and again I will sleepion them, I love the straight sleek look, so I tend to rollerset and then flat wrap.

denalove
12-17-2009, 07:41 PM
HairO, i do sleep in the hardrollers after a wet set, and I tell you it is tuff! I sleep very similar to a giraffe when I do it...but you know, the cost of beauty is quite high.

randi-6
12-17-2009, 09:08 PM
i dont even use rollers but i think sponge would be more comfortable

hanna_light
12-17-2009, 10:09 PM
When I'm doing a wet set because I have to sit under the dryer I use the plastic rollers. But the grey plastic rollers are too difficult to sleep in, so I use Hype hair satin foam rollers they don't dry out your hair and there's no breakage.

denalove
12-17-2009, 11:21 PM
When I'm doing a wet set because I have to sit under the dryer I use the plastic rollers. But the grey plastic rollers are too difficult to sleep in, so I use Hype hair satin foam rollers they don't dry out your hair and there's no breakage.

my hair hates these and vice versa...it won't curl worth a penny with a hole in it....hopeless...
But glad they work for you.

Vermelha
12-17-2009, 11:52 PM
When my hair was relaxed, I could use both sponge and magnetics. Now, I can only use magnetics for the smoothest set. They are hard to sleep in, but so worth the trouble.

Ms. Bing
12-19-2009, 10:16 AM
I sometimes use the sponge ones in the crown for volume but to me all rollers hurt.

Sharii16
02-15-2010, 04:43 PM
I Said Plastic Because Sponge Can Like Absorb The Moisture From Your Hair . Plastic Because I Think It Just Gives It Most Definition In Your Hair .

denalove
02-15-2010, 04:48 PM
I Said Plastic Because Sponge Can Like Absorb The Moisture From Your Hair . Plastic Because I Think It Just Gives It Most Definition In Your Hair .

IT certainly does...I've had that experience.

SHIRO
02-15-2010, 11:41 PM
Wow, it surprises me that noone likes sponge. Why not ladies, may I ask??

I used to use sponge rollers but not anymore.They are good for comfort and body but i realised my hair was breaking badly on the sponge.IMO,they cause hair breakage and i resorted to plastic rollers,thogh their curls and body is not as good as sponge rollers.

evanny
02-16-2010, 12:00 AM
Since I learned to do bantu knots and pin curls, I chose other. I haven't used rollers in a long time, and I'm not friends with plastic rollers at the moment.