View Full Version : Sulfur 8 Grease

leentora
11-18-2008, 05:01 AM
Does anyone use Sulfur 8 Grease (Past or Present)?

I have been reading up on it and it seems to aid or encourages growth! The ingredients does not seem to be that good, I think the benefits may come from the sulfur which is an ingredient!

Any Reviews?

http://base1.googlehosted.com/base_media?q=http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/215PkmH3JcL._SL160_.jpg&size=2&dhm=f7ccf92f&hl=en

Carolinagirl_22
11-18-2008, 08:54 AM
That stuff stinks!

leentora
11-18-2008, 09:16 AM
That stuff stinks!

:D Oh yea I discovered that in a review after I posted it! But they say it grows the hair!

DanceKendra
11-18-2008, 09:20 AM
My mom used it on us when we were young. I think for dandruff or something. IDK but all i can remember is the smell. Other than that it's a cloud in my memory.

leentora
11-18-2008, 09:49 AM
My mom used it on us when we were young. I think for dandruff or something. IDK but all i can remember is the smell. Other than that it's a cloud in my memory.

Yea I read that it is for danduff too, but I think regular use, stimulate growth from what I have been reading, I am now wondering if I should try it lol! I am becoming a bad scientist for DEAD CELLS on top of my head! :o

Tall, Black Canadian
11-23-2008, 06:13 PM
Sulfur is supposed to have great results on hair, but the concentration in Sulfur 8 is pretty low. I have been looking for an ointment with at least 7.5%. Hard to find around here though.

leentora
11-23-2008, 06:22 PM
Sulfur is supposed to have great results on hair, but the concentration in Sulfur 8 is pretty low. I have been looking for an ointment with at least 7.5%. Hard to find around here though.

Why you looking for the ointment with 7.5%? Maybe you could use the sulfur 8 and add extra sulfur powder to it and mix it in well :o could be wrong though just a thought maybe a not so good one :o

tropical-punch
12-09-2008, 09:28 AM
Well, when I was young, I had a friend who's mom used it on all her kids hair. She smothered that stuff on their hair thought. They all did have long hair. I'm sure other factors contributed to that though. Now that I think of it, I've got some sulfur 8 braid spray. Maybe I should try using that daily?

munchy
12-09-2008, 10:08 AM
It does stimulate growth. When I was younger I had my hair in block braids (bob style) and I was greasing my hair every other day. I had some noticeable growth within a month, so it's very true that Sulfur 8 promotes growth=D>Applause

And I didn't even wash my hair once a week:eek:

munchy
12-09-2008, 10:11 AM
Well, when I was young, I had a friend who's mom used it on all her kids hair. She smothered that stuff on their hair thought. They all did have long hair. I'm sure other factors contributed to that though. Now that I think of it, I've got some sulfur 8 braid spray. Maybe I should try using that daily?

I say shoot, i'll bet that it'll work ;)

evanny
12-09-2008, 10:55 AM
My mom uses it and it's growing her hair pretty good. Now my neices are using it too now. I can't get passed the smell, so I'm not going to use it.

The Anti Hair Slave
12-09-2008, 05:33 PM
it worked for dandruff, the tingy feeling was nice, but I didn't use it long enough to notice growth because no one liked the smell... it didn't bother me, but apparently the rest of the world thinks it stinks!

Brownsugar
12-14-2008, 08:19 PM
DITTO!
My Mom used to use it when she was younger. I can't deal w/the smell. Goes back to that embarrassing situation I posted about my DD & the Frenchies situation. It's enough to lose friends and make some enemies.

[/B]
That stuff stinks!

educatedprincess@yahoo.co
02-18-2009, 08:20 PM
I agree with anti hair slave, the smell is not all that bad. I use it when I am in braids and I mix it with glovers mane. Many people say that glovers stinks too, but honestly I personally don't think it smells that bad, especially if you use it moderately and not everyday.

As for growth, I experience a good amount of hair growth when I use it too. I do semi-micros and after 4 to 6 weeks I need to take it down because I have such new growth. I encourage you to try it =)

Brownsugar
02-19-2009, 11:22 AM
I did the MTG growth mix PA suggested by using the sulfur. It's a powerful spell that seems to override EVERYTHING else. Meaning I put my essential oils in and the stuff still smells. You're prob right about not using it everyday, but I still smell it even when I use it every other day. I haven't used it this wk and I'm trying to sike myself up to get back at it but it's a bit challenging to say the least. I guess the thing I worry about is if I think it smells funny, what in the world will others think as I pass by?

I agree with anti hair slave, the smell is not all that bad. I use it when I am in braids and I mix it with glovers mane. Many people say that glovers stinks too, but honestly I personally don't think it smells that bad, especially if you use it moderately and not everyday.

As for growth, I experience a good amount of hair growth when I use it too. I do semi-micros and after 4 to 6 weeks I need to take it down because I have such new growth. I encourage you to try it =)

simplysloan
08-28-2009, 09:34 AM
Im using it now, I bought the light formula. The smell really isn't that bad.

G-Shaun
10-04-2009, 02:23 AM
Yes, Sulfur 8 works for dandruff and is used for that reason initially, BUT it does grow your hair. Yes the smell is strong but the benefits are stronger. If you can't escape the odor, mix the regular strength (yellow jar) with vaseline or just simply buy the Sulfur 8 Lite (light blue jar). Use sparingly and massage into scape. Use at least once a week; twice if your hair drinks in oils. Enjoy!

Starliante
10-04-2009, 03:04 AM
I have the lite one...smell is bearable
I only use it if i see any flaking lol...
I feel like the bad ingredients r gonna clog my pores
not aiding in promotion of growth lol
but overall its cool

chocohippie
10-04-2009, 09:39 AM
I still use sulfur 8...it helped my hair a lot!

Hey, if it ain't broke, don't fix it!

ciara2624
10-05-2009, 10:46 AM
I used this years ago I don't remember if it did much for growth but it worked for itchy scalp. I stopped using it because the smell was to strong.

ysm
10-17-2009, 09:55 PM
I used this years ago I don't remember if it did much for growth but it worked for itchy scalp. I stopped using it because the smell was to strong.

My mom used it on me growing up. It stunk to high heaven, but all the little girls used it, so I fit right in. :D
I have the lite version, but I only used it when I had dandruff. Since I haven't had dandruff in a long while, its waaaaay in the back of my closet. Even using the lite version, it still smells. and you DEFINITELY can't use it every day! Unless you want to wash it out every day. Just thinking about it gives me a headache and makes me nauseous!

frankie44
12-06-2009, 01:20 PM
I just started using two days ago. My beautician suggested Sulfur 8. I remember my mom using it when I was a kid. Yes it smells, but I cut the smell with Wave Nouveau moisturizer

DebonHair
04-05-2010, 08:07 PM
I always preferred using flowers of sulfur mixed in with some castor oil and coconut oil, that way it doesnt smell that baddd :(

MizzNique...
04-05-2010, 08:22 PM
I use sulfur 8 I initially got for my itchy scalp but I did see a overall change in my hair it also conditions the hair and promotes growth<>from my experience with using it.

PurplePeony
01-19-2012, 10:47 PM
I still love Sulfer 8. I used it at waistlength & I didn`t have problems.It does stink tho.

leentora
01-19-2012, 11:57 PM
I have never gotten around to using this thing, I end up making some sulpur oil instead.

PurplePeony
01-30-2012, 01:34 PM
I have never gotten around to using this thing, I end up making some sulpur oil instead.

does the sulfur have an oder when u make your own sulfur oil?

leentora
01-30-2012, 01:45 PM
does the sulfur have an oder when u make your own sulfur oil?

In the summer time I was out and about in the sun and I could smell brimstone and ashes :scared: for the first off afterwards I could not smell anything.

Now I don't really, only sometime I can smell sulpur when I shampoo and hubby says he can smell well water and smell of sulphur but that was awhile back not anymore. I guess we have either gotten use to the smell or because I have perfect the mix.

PurplePeony
01-30-2012, 02:29 PM
:)kay.................

leentora
01-30-2012, 02:37 PM
Your welcome :), let us know if you decide to try it out and what are your results etc.

PurplePeony
01-30-2012, 02:39 PM
I will..........

Missey
01-30-2012, 03:35 PM
I used the original Sulphur 8 grease until I started making my own. I would melt it and add it to my mix.

leentora
01-30-2012, 03:42 PM
I used the original Sulphur 8 grease until I started making my own. I would melt it and add it to my mix.

Missey, which do you prefer? The Sulphur 8 grease or the 'Home Made' Sulphur Oil Mix?

Missey
01-30-2012, 03:44 PM
I like the mix. My oldest son swears by the grease and all the other Sulphur 8 products. He uses every last one of them.

PurplePeony
01-30-2012, 03:47 PM
I didn`t know guys liked it too. cool :)

leentora
01-30-2012, 03:56 PM
@Missey, your son is unique as both my son and hubby hates it and they have an attitude towards anything sulphur smelling LOL

I had to use EO try and mask the smell and use Traditional CO to mix the powder in also to hide the sulphur brimstone and fire odor LOL

I never got the grease but I am sure both of the men in this house would be turning their nose up at it too.

PurplePeony
01-30-2012, 04:12 PM
I`ve never known a man that could tolerate the smell either

Missey
01-30-2012, 04:38 PM
I know right. I was shocked when I saw him using it. He likes how it opens up his scalp. You know how the seabreeze feels. He uses the light formula, and it doesn't smell too bad. He also uses the oil moisturizer.

PurplePeony
01-30-2012, 04:47 PM
I love the way it feels too. Does he have braids or a fro?

Missey
01-30-2012, 06:12 PM
He doesn't have either. He keeps it short. A lot of times I wonder what's the point.

PurplePeony
01-30-2012, 08:48 PM
He doesn't have either. He keeps it short. A lot of times I wonder what's the point.

at least it`s keeping his hair & scalp healthy. I like men that are detailed in their grooming. Missey you raised ur son right! ;)

PurplePeony
10-08-2012, 05:20 PM
Still love my Sulphur 8! Here`s an ad I saw from Ebony Magazine April 1960:
http://i1220.photobucket.com/albums/dd442/PurplePeonyToo/4039657791_0469d4be5c.jpg

PurplePeony
01-02-2013, 05:20 PM

Missey how do u make your own Sulfur 8?