View Full Version : Okra & Hair Growth

leentora
11-13-2008, 06:05 PM
What I am about to post ladies, I found it so I decide to share with my peeps so we can discuss it, and we can see who are the bravest amongst us to try it out first :D Just so you know I have not tried it as yet or I am thinking about it but here goes ladies :cool:

By the way where I am from Okra is sometihng that we eat, we use it either in soup or to cook down with steam fish, I had no idea that is was possible to use it on the hair :eek: but yea can not know it until we try it ;)

leentora
11-13-2008, 06:06 PM
How to use 'okra' to let your hair grow in length and have more volume , this really works By bessy

okra
Rate: (8 Ratings)

A lot of us would want our hair to be longer or have more volume. Nowadays it is easy to have longer or fuller hair, you can easily add weave or use a wig. To have your own hair reach the desired length feels fantastic and natural. This is the way we do in the Caribbean: we use okra. Youíll be surprised. Okra functions as a substantial that makes your hair roots strong and will let it grow.It also gives a special glance to your hair.

Things Youíll Need:
Your own hair, never use okra on weave, even if the weave is human hair
3 young medium size okraís for each treatment (must be young and not hard)

Time:4 Ė 5 hours to let your hair wind dry (donít use a electronic hair dryer)

Step1
hair
Wash your hair, don't use conditioner, the okra will work as a special natural conditioner . Towel dry it

Step2 Take 3 okraí s (very young ones) ,place them in the refrigerator for 2 hours ,take them out , of the refrigerator, put them in a bowl of water for 15 minutes, take them out of the water, remove the stalk and rub the okra' s to a lotion in your hands with a little bit of salt until completely smashed and slimy.

Step3
comb through
Spread the smashed and slimy okra in your entire hair and comb through. Let the okra dry in your hair, and then comb through with a big comb, taking out all rest pieces of okra-skin out of your hair.

Step4
okra
When your hair has dried completely ,comb through and style as usual after youíve washed it: with hair styling lotion, grease or gel. Do not wash for 3 weeks and you will be surprised that your hair will grow 1-2 cm in length and will have more volume. The okra is a natural way of strengthening your hair roots and helps it to have more length and volume. It will give a special glance at your hair. Repeat as desired.

So that was it. don't agree with the grease part tho. What'cha think?

kita
11-13-2008, 06:59 PM
Gurl, where did you get this information from. Okra on hair? The only use I got for Okra is to eat it. I love Okra I grew it in my garden. Soooooo good.

Beeknees
11-13-2008, 07:43 PM
Wow. lol Hmmm ill have to research this one

TopazCutie
11-13-2008, 07:50 PM
I dunno... the fact that they mentioned styling with gel and grease makes me a bit skeptical. Who wants to try it out and take one for the team? :D

leentora
11-14-2008, 01:07 AM
Gurl, where did you get this information from. Okra on hair? The only use I got for Okra is to eat it. I love Okra I grew it in my garden. Soooooo good.

http://www.runemasterstudios.com/graemlins/images/smilielol.gif I know what you are saying I was like are they serious, true the only use for orka is to eat, I have never heard of putting it in the hair! But hey we have heard on here of stuff that is not meant for hair but is used in it! Lets see if anyone has used it ot heard of of it, but it is funny!

leentora
11-14-2008, 01:11 AM
Wow. lol Hmmm ill have to research this one

Beeknees please do hun and let us know what you find I am doing some myself as I have never heard of it, and I was thinking that is it does wrok, I was thinking back home it would have been popular as we used and used whatever works KWIM!

I dunno... the fact that they mentioned styling with gel and grease makes me a bit skeptical. Who wants to try it out and take one for the team? :D

Girl don't even go there lol did you see all the grease bit and not washing hair for 3 weeks :eek: lol I use wash every two weeks and since I started using ayurvedic and do cowashes I can not let a week pass without washing as I am addicted to the results I get; more or less 3wks without washing my hair, peesh :rolleyes: that I will have to sleep on!

Dividir
11-14-2008, 05:35 AM
What I am about to post ladies, I found it so I decide to share with my peeps so we can discuss it, and we can see who are the bravest amongst us to try it out first :D Just so you know I have not tried it as yet or I am thinking about it but here goes ladies :cool:

By the way where I am from Okra is sometihng that we eat, we use it either in soup or to cook down with steam fish, I had no idea that is was possible to use it on the hair :eek: but yea can not know it until we try it ;)

I heard about okra and hair growth. Funny enough I was just telling one of my male friends yesterday that he needs to cook me okra and pounded yam... yum yum traditional African dishes... he is going home this weekend... have to wait till he back in the uni city, but I am hungry for it now... i might just have to cook it myself! Darn it!
I donít think I have the patience to put okra in my hair tho, I donít have the patients with eggs, and they are less slippery

Lively Jason
11-15-2008, 12:40 AM
mmm....not so sure about stories involving okra & hair growth.... :rolleyes:

denalove
11-15-2008, 09:27 AM
I am willing to try new things...but like leen said, 3 weeks!!! No wash??? NOOOOO!! I would just fall out, and would the okra rot or mold on the hair...I actually hate to eat okra unless it is fried or in seafood gumbo..
I am with most, I wanna let someone be a guinea pig and then I may try it....lol

Nala
11-16-2008, 10:23 PM
I heard about okra and hair growth. Funny enough I was just telling one of my male friends yesterday that he needs to cook me okra and pounded yam... yum yum traditional African dishes... he is going home this weekend... have to wait till he back in the uni city, but I am hungry for it now... i might just have to cook it myself! Darn it!
I donít think I have the patience to put okra in my hair tho, I donít have the patients with eggs, and they are less slippery

I feel you on this dish, I'm African... I LOVE it, don't forget the fish. I'd eat it before it gets in my hair though so my good intentions would end up in my stomach!

leentora
11-17-2008, 03:27 AM
I feel you on this dish, I'm African... I LOVE it, don't forget the fish. I'd eat it before it gets in my hair though so my good intentions would end up in my stomach!

Girl I am not african but where I am from that is how we cook it too with fish, I am agree that before it reaches my head it obviously passing by my mouth, it will not make it to my scalp! :D

Nala
11-17-2008, 11:32 AM

Girl I am not african but where I am from that is how we cook it too with fish, I am agree that before it reaches my head it obviously passing by my mouth, it will not make it to my scalp! :D

You are too funny so I guess its unanimous the three of us will be TASTING the benefits oh well thanks for the post your on the right track I know where that knowledge comes from I hope to be able to introduce it before North America catches a wind of it I'm always looking out to see if anyone has found it yet and so far the closest is okra

Pharoahs_Angel
11-17-2008, 11:37 AM
I feel like this. If an item you put on your hair is edible. It would work much better internally (as it gets to travel through your system), than it would externally because you are coating your shaft with it & a little may get in the shaft but, if you eat it...Your new growth will contain it & grow out much healthier.
So this can be our excuse for eating it instead of putting it in our hair. Plus it's a recession...we need to save as much food as possible...lol

Dividir
11-17-2008, 12:55 PM

I'd have to disagree... my mum would probably cook it with fish, but I am soooo on beef (although I am trying to cut it out of my diet!)

leentora
11-17-2008, 01:24 PM
I feel like this. If an item you put on your hair is edible. It would work much better internally (as it gets to travel through your system), than it would externally because you are coating your shaft with it & a little may get in the shaft but, if you eat it...Your new growth will contain it & grow out much healthier.
So this can be our excuse for eating it instead of putting it in our hair. Plus it's a recession...we need to save as much food as possible...lol

Dr. Pharoahs :D

Try tell the hightlights text to HR Highness!

Nala
11-17-2008, 05:10 PM
I'd have to disagree... my mum would probably cook it with fish, but I am soooo on beef (although I am trying to cut it out of my diet!)

Yeah I like it with beef too but this dish with fish is the ish for me. When I'm back home and it's prepared for me, with fish just caught... I'm in heaven, after that I find myself a nice spot under a tree with some breeze and you know the rest. BTW no need to cut out too much beef from your diet you still need red meat.

leentora
11-17-2008, 05:17 PM
Yeah I like it with beef too but this dish with fish is the ish for me. When I'm back home and it's prepared for me, with fish just caught... I'm in heaven, after that I find myself a nice spot under a tree with some breeze and you know the rest. BTW no need to cut out too much beef from your diet you still need red meat.

Girl that is wat we do back home that is a yard ting! :D fa real!

Nala
11-17-2008, 06:06 PM
Girl that is wat we do back home that is a yard ting! :D fa real!

I had a feeling you were a yardy gal when you started talking about okra with fish. I love it your way too, with the steamed red snapper cha Mi no go deh. :D

leentora
11-17-2008, 06:36 PM
I had a feeling you were a yardy gal when you started talking about okra with fish. I love it your way too, with the steamed red snapper cha Mi no go deh. :D

http://www.runemasterstudios.com/graemlins/images/smilielol.gif dang it I can not hide that part of me for long arggg :D

KWIM sweet cah done! :p

I have tried your too went to this african restaurant man it was niiiiiiiice, oh lawd!

Tall, Black Canadian
11-19-2008, 01:59 PM
Being from the Islands Okra is no stranger, but the only way I can get it out here is to get it frozen and/or partially processed. If you think the frozen stuff will work I will be the guinea pig. BUT I can't go three weeks without a wash. I do cut it back in the winter because it'sso dry here, but two weeks is all I can give you. If frozen will do, I'll give it a try and let you ladies know if it's thumbs up or down on whether or not cooked food is better in the belly or on the hair.

leentora
11-20-2008, 04:13 AM
Being from the Islands Okra is no stranger, but the only way I can get it out here is to get it frozen and/or partially processed. If you think the frozen stuff will work I will be the guinea pig. BUT I can't go three weeks without a wash. I do cut it back in the winter because it'sso dry here, but two weeks is all I can give you. If frozen will do, I'll give it a try and let you ladies know if it's thumbs up or down on whether or not cooked food is better in the belly or on the hair.

roflmao Mmmm I am not sure if it matters if it is fresh or frozen and two weeks should be enough, I am not sure though on the fresh or frozen side Mmm not sure!

Mahalialee4
11-27-2008, 09:31 PM
This is taken from an old post of Mine that is posted at another Forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahalialee4
Tried the Search but forgot the thread it was under. Anybody up on that one that could post the thread. Thank you so much. Bonjour

i have it on my computer, but reading it over this might be YOUR recipe:

Re: OKRA FOR YOUR HAIR - That's right...the vegetable! [Re: Mahalialee4]
* * * #491215 - 06/02/04 02:13 PM

Edit *
Reply *
Quote *
Quick Reply *

Gee: I used about 6 okra and 3 medium sized new carrots, cut thin in circles after washing and rinsing them. Set aside. Then I took a bottle of Home Health Castor Oil app. 18 fl. ounces and started heating the oil and added the vegetables. I cooked a little above medium heat until the veg. shrunk and looked like wizened or dried articles. The pan looked all frothy inside and I cooked until the oil turned to a liquid and then set aside the pan onto another burner. Next I added about 1/4 tsp. of my liquid pine tar to the mixture, 2 tbl. of MSM powder, stirred it up and then put the pan back on the burner and cooked on a lower heat for another 3-5 minutes, stirring constantly. I set aside to cool for about 20 minutes, strained it into another container, then strained and funneled into the empty castor oil bottles. Hope this helps. WARNING!!!!Do not add any oils or anything else into this while you are cooking it, because anything cold will cause a lot of spitting and splattering!!!!

Cha! I have done the deed. I made the oil. It turned out be-utifully. Thick and now I have a sulphur carrot oil-black castor oil with pine tar (pine ashes), and before I removed it from the heat, I added a generous helping of MSM and stirred that in. I strained it well with cheese cloth and straining cloths, and filtered it into the large castor oil bottle with my funnel and bottled this baby. I am percolatin' as we speak, so to speak . I oiled my scalp with this a day ago, and put some throughout my hair. This stuff is thick but I could tell my hair loves it. The texture of my hair with this on is too sweet. I pinned it up in a half bun, tucking in the ends and covered my hair with a silk satin scarf. I will not need to oil the ends for the remainder of the week, so this is going to be my growout oil, since I will not have to disturb it. I will surge three days a week and check this....I can spray a moisturing leave in when I do the surge instead of daily. I am going to become the Ultimate Minimalist when it comes to my hair and see if I can retain 6 inches of growth this coming year.......I can wear this style casually as well as for dress, as it looks very sophisticated. My waves are so shiny looking, but best of all this is not greasy looking or feeling. Just think, only oiling anything once a week!!!!This is a keeper!!!! Bonjour mes amis.

Re: Smell: To me it smells a bit like caramel pudding, probably because of the carrots After it is bottled and cooled, a drop of Ylang Ylang, or Lime, or Grapefruit would be nice or Vanilla Ess. Oil. I do think you will love the thickness and the non greasiness, if you want to do a love it and leave it style on your hair to grow it out. You definitely will not have to do this more than once a week, it is that rich! I spray my hair with Biolage leave in Hair tonic on the edges and brush gently each night as this is an area I want to thicken and grow faster. I spray the ends every thir day after the surgeing. If someone wanted to Surge more often...personal choice. I am just looking at limiting the manipulation of my hair. Hope this helps. Bonjour.

Aggio
11-29-2008, 03:07 PM
it can also be made into a setting lotion the ink below has some good info on it
The life of a Mixtress (http://ingredientjunkie.blogspot.com/2008/01/okra-slime-and-all-when-i-was-teenager.html)

Tall, Black Canadian
11-30-2008, 10:38 PM
I'm still willing to try this, but I think I will try it as suggested in Life of a Mixtress as a rinse. I'll try it out next weekend and give an update.

bwell2u
12-01-2008, 07:10 AM
Uhmmmm.... I'll stick to eating okra. Whoever tries this, please let us know the results.

mssnu
12-04-2008, 09:20 PM
I'm still willing to try this, but I think I will try it as suggested in Life of a Mixtress as a rinse. I'll try it out next weekend and give an update.

I read the Mixtress post. I am a bit sqeemish so this wouldn't be for me, but I am anxious to hear the results of your test.:)

Good Luck.

Sobeautiful82
12-05-2008, 11:17 AM
This sounds a bit scary... Okra is delicious but extremely slimy. I would think the hair would end up being a bit difficult to style and manage after that.

FreeSpirit2219
12-05-2008, 06:30 PM
I'll wait and see who will be the guinea pig.

Nala
12-07-2008, 02:28 PM
Like I said before there is another product that is very similar to okra that is and has been used for hair for centuries. It is not a fruit nor vegetable but the characteristic is like that of okra. It is not easy to get a hold of and I am trying to get some. I have never heard of it being used in some of the manner that has been posted here. So I would be interested in knowing the effects of okra on your hair. Who ever does try it please indicate what type of hair your dealing with ie relaxed, texlax, natural and curly.

BTW...Shout out to yardy girl LEENTORA, back to our convo...I had okra & salt fish with green banana and fried dumpling on Friday and you know I thought of you girl:D

leentora
12-07-2008, 02:51 PM
Like I said before there is another product that is very similar to okra that is and has been used for hair for centuries. It is not a fruit nor vegetable but the characteristic is like that of okra. It is not easy to get a hold of and I am trying to get some. I have never heard of it being used in some of the manner that has been posted here. So I would be interested in knowing the effects of okra on your hair. Who ever does try it please indicate what type of hair your dealing with ie relaxed, texlax, natural and curly.

BTW...Shout out to yardy girl LEENTORA, back to our convo...I had okra & salt fish with green banana and fried dumpling on Friday and you know I thought of you girl:D

I think I missed your posting on what that product is that is similar I will go back and read it as I am feeling that instead of the okra in my hair lol

Gurl you are tooooo funny :D but that is some nice food you talking about there girl, stop it I will want to go cook some :p I am frooling over here!

leentora
12-07-2008, 02:55 PM
Nala what is the name of that product come on tell us :) so I can go see if I can find it and if I do I am buying all that is on the shelf we can all have a bottle of it to test out etc!

Bodybutter
12-07-2008, 04:39 PM
Love :pokra with tomato and onions on rice eaten but I don't think I want it on my hair-the mucilage would be a great moisturizer. Okra is such a great food, does a lot for the inside of the body so the same benefits should come through from the insides-I'll keep it on my plate.

janine
12-11-2008, 05:49 PM
This is very new to me....okra on hair! For real.

Mahalialee4
12-11-2008, 11:28 PM
Do you have any testimonies and pics of people who have been doing this overtime> Like, "I went from there....to here....?"

dmcmspencer
12-12-2008, 03:24 PM
My grandmother used okra as a setting lotion many years ago, and there is a setting lotion that has okra in it. Unfortunately, I can not think of it at this time, but it comes in a bottle like stacked bubbles and you just add water to the entire bottle.

Aggio
01-08-2009, 12:52 PM

have you tried it yet as a rinse??

Brownsugar
01-14-2009, 05:22 PM
I think my hair would be FUNKY as heck and I'd be served "divorce papers"!!!

How to use 'okra' to let your hair grow in length and have more volume , this really works By bessy

okra
Rate: (8 Ratings)

A lot of us would want our hair to be longer or have more volume. Nowadays it is easy to have longer or fuller hair, you can easily add weave or use a wig. To have your own hair reach the desired length feels fantastic and natural. This is the way we do in the Caribbean: we use okra. Youíll be surprised. Okra functions as a substantial that makes your hair roots strong and will let it grow.It also gives a special glance to your hair.

Things Youíll Need:
Your own hair, never use okra on weave, even if the weave is human hair
3 young medium size okraís for each treatment (must be young and not hard)

Time:4 Ė 5 hours to let your hair wind dry (donít use a electronic hair dryer)

Step1
hair
Wash your hair, don't use conditioner, the okra will work as a special natural conditioner . Towel dry it

Step2 Take 3 okraí s (very young ones) ,place them in the refrigerator for 2 hours ,take them out , of the refrigerator, put them in a bowl of water for 15 minutes, take them out of the water, remove the stalk and rub the okra' s to a lotion in your hands with a little bit of salt until completely smashed and slimy.

Step3
comb through
Spread the smashed and slimy okra in your entire hair and comb through. Let the okra dry in your hair, and then comb through with a big comb, taking out all rest pieces of okra-skin out of your hair.

Step4
okra
When your hair has dried completely ,comb through and style as usual after youíve washed it: with hair styling lotion, grease or gel. Do not wash for 3 weeks and you will be surprised that your hair will grow 1-2 cm in length and will have more volume. The okra is a natural way of strengthening your hair roots and helps it to have more length and volume. It will give a special glance at your hair. Repeat as desired.

So that was it. don't agree with the grease part tho. What'cha think?

Nala
01-14-2009, 09:09 PM
Nala what is the name of that product come on tell us :) so I can go see if I can find it and if I do I am buying all that is on the shelf we can all have a bottle of it to test out etc!

Leentora, it doesn't grow in this climate or in North America. That's why it's hard to get a hold of it. If it did I'm sure Frederick Fekkai would would have bottled it and be selling it in Sephora. I'm still waiting for my shipment. Also currently working on a project that will introduce such products/items to women of all color, so I will keep you posted.

Brownsugar
01-15-2009, 11:17 AM
Nala, Where have you been? We've MISSED you. Hopefully, you're going to checking in often. Have you joined any of the challenges?

chibrown01
03-06-2009, 01:51 PM
ok..i think i will try it next week..but i will probably wear a scarf all the time... and im not 2 sure about 3 weeks,.. i will try 2 weeks...KEEP UR FINGERS CROSSED 4 ME... i will keep u guys updated

naomimaxine927
03-06-2009, 02:49 PM
I don't know about that one, I just got use to my new regimen, not to mention I'm using cayenne pepper, so I don't want to stop using it because I need to know if its working and it's only my second week. Maybe if someone else uses it, and does a before and after pic, then possibly I'll try lol.

LemonDrop
03-07-2009, 11:31 PM
Your hair grows about half an inch a month anyway so 1 or 2cm in 3 weeks isn't really a big accomplishment bc it would have grown that much without okra.