View Full Version : How long between relaxers?

denalove
03-14-2008, 06:39 PM
I know the reccommended time is 4-6 weeks. Anyone ever have too much new growth before four weeks and go ahead with it? See my issue is my hair is pretty soft and wavy from the roots...so when I don't wait long enough, my hair is thin looking. However, when I wait too long when there's too much growth, my hair begins to shed. Right now I'm at like 5 weeks, trying to go another week, but cant' wait. It's just so much more gorgeous after a fresh relaxer.

The Anti Hair Slave
03-15-2008, 08:15 PM
I used to relax around that time frame (5-6 weeks) but now I try to go longer. I'm up to about 12 weeks, but that's about as far as I will take it.

Safiyalovesyou
07-26-2008, 03:27 AM
I usually go about 7 weeks. I'm doing 8 this time around and that'll be my longest. The shortest would be about 4 weeks.

Dividir
07-26-2008, 05:57 AM
Im trying to push my relaxers to about 4 a year, so that would be like 16 weeks.. but i did say TRYING... so we'll see.

I need to stop having limp short hair!

jasnian0313
08-02-2008, 10:35 AM
before i started coming on these websites and talking to some of my friends about hair i never knew that ppl really relaxed four-six weeks after...when i was younger our mom used to give us a perm before school started and in jan before school started again from the winter break...now that im older i generally wait three-four months...i tried the six weeks before and it didnt work out good for me...this is just another ex of how everybodys hair prefers something diff

leentora
08-04-2008, 07:09 AM
I go a say 6 - 8 weeks, but I am aiming to go for say 10-14weeks maybe more but have braids in to help the mad NG.

When I lived with my aunt back home she never did any of us hair (cousins) until the cream was completely broken off which she taught was NG, but I use tell my mom and mom would send funds to ensure my hair was done regularly and my aunt would still do my hair every 3-4 months, than God my hair was strong and I took care of it well then.

CREODiiVA
08-04-2008, 10:15 AM
I Get a Perm in June..and another In december

Cidney
08-06-2008, 02:13 AM
I try to stretch between relaxers but have not been successful. Therefore, 6-7 weeks is when retouch is needed.

CherriPepsi
08-11-2008, 10:54 PM
I'm not consistant. I relax whenever I have a lot of new growth which can mean anywhere between 2-3 times a year.

lovelylocks
08-24-2008, 11:45 PM
Umm...newbie here. Hi! :)

I usually go about 8 weeks, but I've done up to 12. (My stylist was like, "Girl, let me tame this jungle....!" Lol.)

Jacqueline
08-25-2008, 08:47 PM
I feel time between relaxers depends on the hair texture, the relaxer used and how the relaxer is applied. If someone with a really tight texture waits too long, breakage can occur. Some relaxers are very harsh and if so, longer may be advisable, and if the person applying the relaxer is careful not to overlap, well, you don't have to wait too long. All that said, I try to let my clients wait at least 8 weeks. (except for really tight, kinks).

hypemelissa
09-19-2008, 10:36 AM
Since I will become a self-relaxer as of the 26th of September, I will probably change my every 8 week touch-up schedule to 10 weeks. But that all depends on my hair growth. They say to wait till you have at least a half inch of new growth but I tend to wait till I have a full inch to prevent overlapping. But I would definitely say no sooner than 8 weeks. This gives the hair time to heal from your last touch-up and also gives you enough time to well condition it to prepare it for the next.

As far as the longest to wait before major breakage for MY HEAD I would say probably between 10-12 weeks. Waiting anymore than that causes unnecessary breakage due to not keeping up with your relaxer touch-ups. Its either you relax on a precise schedule or you go natural. I only used to stretch longer than 12 weeks due to severe damage cause by over processing surprisingly done at a salon...but THATS another story.

Hope This Helps ^_^

Ladycc
09-19-2008, 06:00 PM
I tex-lax every 8-10 weeks. Can't go longer than 10 weeks or breakage occurs.

Tall, Black Canadian
09-19-2008, 10:32 PM
I'm at almost 9 weeks post, which I've never done before. Usually I'm at the salon every 6-8 weeks like clockwork. But since I've recently taken the salon out of the equation, I've decided to stretch it out to see how often I really need to relax. I'm aiming for 12-16 weeks post before I self relax for the first time.

Dividir
09-20-2008, 05:50 AM
I'm at almost 9 weeks post, which I've never done before. Usually I'm at the salon every 6-8 weeks like clockwork. But since I've recently taken the salon out of the equation, I've decided to stretch it out to see how often I really need to relax. I'm aiming for 12-16 weeks post before I self relax for the first time.

At least since it will be your first self relax, you will have enough regrowth to avoid over lapping!

Tell us how the stretching, and the self-relaxing goes!!

hairbydegreat
09-29-2008, 11:53 PM
For clients, I suggest getting a relaxer every 6-8 weeks, and that is determined after I evaluate the health of their hair. If it looks dry and brittle, then I suggest deep conditioning to reconstruct, do a thermal straightening instead and have them come back in 2 more weeks. For myself, I have very fne, sometimes limp hair and I wouldn't dare giving myself a relaxer more than twice, maybe 3 times a year at best.
I know that hair always seems to behave better after getting a relaxer, but you have to consider the fact that you are doing damage to your hair if you do a chemical service too often. Most times when a person thinks that they have silky, bone straight hair after a relaxer only turns out to be that the hair is overprocessed, therefore TOO STRAIGHT and will eventually break off.

kiaboo16
10-06-2008, 05:11 PM
its been a while since i had a perm too. im tryin to find other styles to wear other than a sorry ponytail

leentora
10-06-2008, 05:21 PM
I am now on a 6mths stretch, and loving it too! find a few things that works for me! I am hoping to relaxed alot less next yr have not decided how often I will relaxer maybe every 3mths which will be only 4 times a yr, Mmmmm not bad!

BQNY
10-18-2008, 02:14 AM
i'm wondering of i should keep my perm

reesy
10-22-2008, 11:42 AM
Hi. So, what do you do inbetween the perms? My hair tends to start breaking if I wait more than 4 weeks, but now I'm trying to perm it every 12 weeks, but have no idea what to do to keep it from breaking. So, what do you do?

DanceKendra
10-22-2008, 11:54 AM
I was doing every 6 weeks but now im aiming for 12weeks (thanks to leentora and the relaxer stretch challenge!!) Yay!! Im 6 weeks post now. Im doing great...deep conditioning, deep conditioning, deep conditioning! SO, we'll see how it goes. I experience a little bit of breakage. IT's becoming less and less now that im learning what I have to really do to keep it from breaking. I have to keep my ends and my NG moisturized well!!!

rajingbutterfli
10-22-2008, 12:16 PM
11 weeks and counting...

babybear
10-29-2008, 08:25 PM
3 months for me! I am trying to switch over to twice a year!

rajingbutterfli
10-30-2008, 11:43 AM
My hair is used to being stretched. I only relax my hair twice a year. Now that I am going natural, I think my hair will be manageable with the tips from our already Natural girls.

leentora
11-01-2008, 06:17 PM
I am now 20wks peeps and still going strong yay for the relaxer stre-e-etch!

Ladycc
11-02-2008, 12:54 AM
OK, I'm trying to make it to 12 weeks. I normally tex-lax at 8-9 weeks and I've only gone to 10 weeks once - well now twice cuz I'm 10 weeks post. Holding out for 2 more weeks. :eek:

munchy
11-03-2008, 11:05 AM
I am now on a 6mths stretch, and loving it too! find a few things that works for me! I am hoping to relaxed alot less next yr have not decided how often I will relaxer maybe every 3mths which will be only 4 times a yr, Mmmmm not bad!

That's not a bad idea! Something that I might have to take into consideration myself:)

leentora
11-03-2008, 12:17 PM
OK, I'm trying to make it to 12 weeks. I normally tex-lax at 8-9 weeks and I've only gone to 10 weeks once - well now twice cuz I'm 10 weeks post. Holding out for 2 more weeks. :eek:

Close your eyes and count :D it will fly by in no time trying doing 20wks, you start hearing your relaxer talking to your hair and your hair replying back to the rexlaxer, and I have still another 5-6wks to go! I will need therapy by then :D

leentora
11-03-2008, 12:21 PM
That's not a bad idea! Something that I might have to take into consideration myself:)

I have download a 2009 calender and mark up my relaxer dates already lol I am more leaning towards every 17wks-ish which will result in me only having about 3ish relaxer per yr! I can manage 17wks not a problem but this 20wks plus is begining to take its toll HARD! :(

Virga89
11-03-2008, 03:22 PM
I gt a perm lyk 5-8 weeks but usually its longer because when my relaxer starts to fade i just gt braids or something and keep them in for lyk a month or so. 2 summers ago i didnt gt a perm that entire summer and a month b4 skool was over, im gessing lyk 4 almost 5 months because i had micro type braids in and then tracks all summer and just redid them evry month. My hair grew so much from that.:) But it got all damaged this summer because i didnt have anyone to braid my hair and i had needed a perm mad bad!!!!!!:mad:

mailinda
11-05-2008, 07:24 PM
I used to relax my hair every six week "because my stylist said so." Now .. I save a BUNDLE (in the 100's) of dollars annually ... and relax my vietnamese / black hair every 12 weeks - and it works beautifully. It gets to the point where I NEED to relax it and so the money spent is wel worth it - versus it just needing a slight "touch up."

It costs just the same to do a "touch up" versus "needing" a relaxer. It sames me BIG BUCKS annually - and my hair isn't chemically treated as much. I've been doing this 4 times a year relaxer for more than five years ... and my hair thanks me for it regularly!

It grows beautifully and has great body - with control.

munchy
11-06-2008, 06:40 AM
Hi. So, what do you do inbetween the perms? My hair tends to start breaking if I wait more than 4 weeks, but now I'm trying to perm it every 12 weeks, but have no idea what to do to keep it from breaking. So, what do you do?

Deep Condition your hair weekly or bi-weekly. If your hair is very damaged do it weekly. And try co-washing, it has a lot of benefits that you wouldn't imagine, at least twice a week. Trust...You will see a difference:D

susanzmorg
12-05-2008, 01:47 PM
I used to relax every six weeks, but recently i have been going longer. My record has been 10 weeks. Which I am currently(10 Weeks post) I have a little shedding. But the worst part is the NG that looks horrible around the edges. I just started braid outs so I might make it to 12 weeks.

bwell2u
12-05-2008, 01:57 PM
I think the average is normally six to 8 weeks. I'm sure you could go longer if you do protective styles, or opt for a weave, braids, or twists. Just don't wait too long due to the difference in hair textures.

Brownsugar
12-07-2008, 08:44 AM
I used to faithfully relax my hair every 6 wks, but since I joined this forum I'm stretching it out longer as well as my DD's. I just finished up a 12 wk period (longest I've ever done & wondered if I could see it thruScared). It worked out beautifully for me. I can see a tremendous difference is my hair. It's much stronger, sheds very little and is MUCH thicker. I also experienced some additional length. The most challenging issues are dealing w/the NG and finding decent styles during the last month. I find myself wearing my hair in a ponytail often, but desperately need to come up w/some other ideas. DENA: Perhaps you're not using the best products to deal w/the new growth? However, I TOTALLY understand wanting your hair to look "FLY" all the time. I think as we get further along w/stretching out the relaxers, our hair becomes trained. Thus, the process becomes MUCH easier. It's a WIN WIN situation as we have longer, healthier & thicker hair. Are you open to re-evaluating and trying some other products to achieve your goals? WE all know this is a trial and error process and each person's different.

I know the reccommended time is 4-6 weeks. Anyone ever have too much new growth before four weeks and go ahead with it? See my issue is my hair is pretty soft and wavy from the roots...so when I don't wait long enough, my hair is thin looking. However, when I wait too long when there's too much growth, my hair begins to shed. Right now I'm at like 5 weeks, trying to go another week, but cant' wait. It's just so much more gorgeous after a fresh relaxer.

abbyZ
04-11-2009, 09:24 AM
When I first started getting my hair relaxed (when I was 12) both my stylists and my mother considered 12 weeks the norm, so I've been surprised to find out on the boards that that's considered stretching. :) These days I usually touchup between 10 and 12 weeks.

angel_hair
04-13-2009, 01:26 PM

I think I am wit you on that one Leentora. I am trying to curve how much I relax.

Nathansgirl1908
05-24-2009, 08:43 AM
Hi. Newbie here!

I used to get a relaxer every 6-8 weeks. my new stylist has been stretching me to 12-13 weeks. However, I have noticed some breakage so I really don't think that's best for my hair. :(

abbyZ
05-24-2009, 09:58 AM
Hi. Newbie here!

I used to get a relaxer every 6-8 weeks. my new stylist has been stretching me to 12-13 weeks. However, I have noticed some breakage so I really don't think that's best for my hair. :(

Hi Nathansgirl! :)
I think you have to do what works for your hair and maybe going to 12-13 weeks doesn't work for everyone. Do you you moisturize more during the last 4 or 5 weeks? I find that I need to do at least one deep condition per week and moisturize twice a day from week 8 onwards.

evanny
05-24-2009, 05:10 PM
I was relaxing every 6 weeks, then i increased to every 8 weeks, now i'm relaxing every 9 weeks. I'm trying to increase this time little by little.

Trendolyn
05-24-2009, 08:00 PM
Oh my goodness my last relaxer was I think the last day in March so my new growth is like whoa. I don't think I can wait much longer I mean my scalp is tender from the new growth even after I oil my roots with EVCO.

nicolechatt
05-25-2009, 06:51 PM
I think everyone needs to see what is best for their texture. I have some friends who can go 12 weeks plus without a relaxer but as for myself no more than 6 weeks. The important thing tho is not do relax before 4 weeks. My former bbf used to relax her hair every 3 weeks. Then she wondered why her hair was breaking off.

dancerTJ
05-27-2009, 11:54 AM
I went 13 weeks w/o a relaxer. Just finished my first texlax..... me likey, likey!! ;)

savedsis
06-06-2009, 04:00 PM
I go about 6 weeks..She gives me partial relaxers..I do not get the top of my hair relaxed...If I do it is maybe once in a year or so.

Starr0581
06-06-2009, 04:38 PM
I touch up every 6 weeks, If I wait longer the shedding is outta control....I want to eventually stretch my relaxer, but I want to get my regimine down pack first.

leentora
06-06-2009, 04:43 PM
I went 6 month without a relaxer last as I was on mega relaxer streeetch :) I liked! There is alot involved in streeetch that long though and hard work too.

Now I have not relaxed since Dec 08 but due to additio to the family on the way and this time I am in braids I will start my hair journey once little one arrives.

candygirl4life
06-07-2009, 05:38 PM
When I was younger my mother would relax my hair every 6-8 weeks but my sister would only get a relaxer once a yr.... i would always be so jealous! Everybody has different hair types.

Dividir
06-08-2009, 06:06 AM
Im trying to push my relaxers to about 4 a year, so that would be like 16 weeks.. but i did say TRYING... so we'll see.

I need to stop having limp short hair!

It definitely seems to be working. My hair is not so limp and not so short any more.

I try to go 10/12 weeks. When I cant manage to keep it down, I pony tail it, hot comb it or braid it. It is so much easier when my hair is in a weave or braids, but I haven't had a weave in ages!!

I will definitely have to nick the idea of marking down the dates of relaxers before I do them, that way I am less likely to do them at erratic times (like recently!)

It didn't help that I think my hair was very limp because of my love of the flat iron.... I need to buy a new one but I also need to stop using mine so much!

I was relaxing every 6 weeks, then i increased to every 8 weeks, now i'm relaxing every 9 weeks. I'm trying to increase this time little by little.

That is another really good way of growing into stretching, because you wont feel it as much, but you will slowly see the difference!

Pretty86
06-08-2009, 01:39 PM
I usually get a relaxer every 6 weeks, but Im on week 9 of my stretch now! I'm proud of myself, but I cant take it anymore! I miss my str8 hair. Relaxer coming Friday=)

leentora
06-08-2009, 01:42 PM
I am on my second 6 months relaxer stretch lol but this one is different I tihnk by the time I relax my hair will be way over 1 year+! It will be a new start for me then!

Pretty86
06-08-2009, 01:59 PM
I am on my second 6 months relaxer stretch lol but this one is different I tihnk by the time I relax my hair will be way over 1 year+! It will be a new start for me then!

You go girl! That's great!

helpmyhairplz
04-04-2010, 03:51 PM
When i start to relaxe i want to strech for 8 weeks my goal will be for 3 months

dancerTJ
04-04-2010, 04:30 PM
I am a week away from 3 months. It will be my first year on my healthy hair journey. Wooh - Hoooh!!

evanny
04-04-2010, 07:08 PM

I now relax every 12 weeks. :D

Lady Hawk
04-04-2010, 07:10 PM
I am a week away from 3 months. It will be my first year on my healthy hair journey. Wooh - Hoooh!!

Congratulations!

tns32
04-22-2010, 07:12 PM
I go 8 weeks between retouch and I see a difference from when I was getting them every 5 weeks. My hair seems to grow much better and is healthier. I have very thick coarse hair so I make sure I condition well every week.

prettigurl
04-23-2010, 09:23 PM
I go about 9-10 weeks. No longer than 10

Dividir
04-29-2010, 10:50 AM
I am at 13 weeks and the creamy crack is screaming my name

leentora
04-29-2010, 12:51 PM
I have a few long streches, I am aiming for my next stretch this one, I am aiming for 4 months. Aiming to go until July instead of June.

saraesa
05-10-2010, 12:05 AM
i tend to go long times without relaxers im pretty sure my last one was in january. i dont really keep track since unless i'm doing a show i don't straighten my hair though usually i get a touch-up every 12-14 weeks my hair grows kinda fast like .75-1 inches per month so i use the entire touchup kit

Dividir
05-10-2010, 04:33 AM
Yup I gave in last week at about 14 weeks. And I got my first hair hater! yay!

evanny
05-10-2010, 07:06 AM

Woot Woot!! Go Dividir!! :D

mimigirl
07-18-2010, 10:07 PM
6-8 weeks and longer if you can. Just stall as much as possible.

azucarmoreno
07-21-2010, 06:07 PM
I stretch my relaxers for about 12 weeks. I mark the dates in my calendar so I won't forget and perm too soon. It is hard after 8 weeks because of the ng, but I found that doing prepoos with EVOO and a moisturizing conditioner really does soften my ng, and help reduce shedding/breakage. At first I was worried the shedding would counteract the benefits of the stretch, but I have to say that cutting the heat and stretching has really helped me achieve growth and thickness. I am not 100% where I used to be when my hair was really healthy, but my scalp is not itchy since I parked the blow dryer and I started doing protective styles. I am getting better at stretching, and seeing the results makes it all worth it. I am aiming at relaxing my hair 4 times/yr., but for now relaxing every 12 weeks is challenging enough. I will stick with it though, because these last 9 months of stretching have done wonders for me. If I would have done this years ago when my hair problems began, I would have kept (ALL) my hair.

StL Princess
07-22-2010, 07:07 PM
when i was relaxed i relaxed every 12 weeks and some times 15 weeks if i forget. I used at one herbal relaxer

buckeyeinminn
07-22-2010, 09:38 PM

Congrats on being able to stretch that long =D>Applause

I honestly can't remember my last relaxer

azucarmoreno
07-23-2010, 08:55 AM

LOL!! Yeah baby!!:D

azucarmoreno
07-23-2010, 08:57 AM
Woot Woot!! Go Dividir!! :D

Mami, enhorabuena, tu pelo esta muy largo tambien! You go girl!:D

azucarmoreno
07-23-2010, 08:58 AM
when i was relaxed i relaxed every 12 weeks and some times 15 weeks if i forget. I used at one herbal relaxer

How did you like it? I've heard quite some buzz over that brand...

StL Princess
07-23-2010, 03:20 PM
How did you like it? I've heard quite some buzz over that brand...

It was great nice and gentle from about week 10 the waves would come in but i never had tuff unmanagable regrowth. da waves looked nice.

erm my hair never fell out no chemical burns. the formula has changed a bit now though i still relax my mums hair for her. but still great. wouldn't leave it dead straight but a flat iron on a low heat after every wash after week 5 and you'll be fine

Dividir
08-03-2010, 04:15 PM
Awww thanks for the love ladies. Dang that was a while ago. I am on 12 weekss again. I shoul be tacking my hair out of cornrows in the next fortnight. But I want to put them back in again and leave my wig on for a while. Hmmm, maybe I'll henna

Dividir
08-03-2010, 04:18 PM
Congrats on being able to stretch that long =D>Applause

I honestly can't remember my last relaxer

My hair doesn't feel like it has gotten any longer though

ursayollia
08-04-2010, 04:44 PM
I got a perm in mid-June, I'm getting one next week. About 8-10 weeks for me. My stylist puts an anti-frizz DC on my hair and it's mildly texturized.

HairObsession
08-04-2010, 09:56 PM
I'm trying my best to stretch relaxers..I've seen a lot of progress from others with this technique..the key is keeping your hair moisturized...

StL Princess
08-04-2010, 11:42 PM
hmmm wen i was relaxingf my hair i always used to wait 12-15 weeks inbetween and even then i'd only have like an inch of new really wild ng that couldnt be tamed by flat irons and on top of that i have only ever used herbal relaxers as relaxing more often and with normal strength relaxers would have made me bald. plus my hair only stop growing because i went on the implant last year and the hormones messed me up.

I'm just realised that apart from the 1st ever time i got a virgin relaxer i've been texlaxing for the whole 7 yrs................ hmm maybe thats why my transition is going a lot smoother than other people's ? cause i never damaged my hair that much to start off with...............

yay happy dance!!!!!!!!!!

rwayda
08-05-2010, 04:06 PM
Awww thanks for the love ladies. Dang that was a while ago. I am on 12 weekss again. I shoul be tacking my hair out of cornrows in the next fortnight. But I want to put them back in again and leave my wig on for a while. Hmmm, maybe I'll henna

Excellent, is good to give your hair time to and restore rest from chemicals.
well done girl! :)Smile:)

miss stress
08-31-2010, 02:06 AM
I just recenly after finding the hairboards started streching to 16 weeks. So far so good I like the nice little growth suprise whn I relax

JUDWILL07
08-31-2010, 11:45 AM
1 May 2010 was my last texlax. I'm 17 weeks post, trying to go for 27-28 weeks or 6 Months. So far so good, it works for me since I like wearing bun styles and I don't like puting heat on my hair that much.

Jackieleigh
09-01-2010, 04:26 PM
I got a perm Early June late may and haven't had one since

jailynstanton
09-20-2010, 04:52 AM
I've heard that you should wait at least 10-12 weeks. But I can't get past 6 weeks. For those who wait this long, how do you deal. Mine starts to get really dry, it starts to break, and it comes out in the comb. I want to wait the 10-12 weeks, but it is killing me.

Shiva
10-09-2010, 04:26 PM
I generally relax every 6 months. Stylists have told me so many different things. In the last year, two Dominican stylists told me I wait way to long. My African-American stylist told me that what I was doing was okay. I think how long you stretch between relaxers is highly individual and depends on several different variables. I do not mind if my roots are not totally straight. I don't even like my hair until about 4-6 weeks into a relaxer anyway. No matter what relaxer I have used and whether it was self-applied or done by a professional, mild or regular strength, lye or no lye, my hair is just totally limp for the first month after a retouch. This has been my experience for over 25 years now. As time goes on the new growth gives me lift and volume.
Also, I think waiting longer reduces the amount of overlap on previously relaxed hair. It is impossible for even a professional stylist not to do some overlap. Years ago when I relaxed more frequently my hair was always limp, dry and breaking off -- I just had hair all over the place all the time.
Another factor is that I currently live in Las Vegas which is a very dry climate. I could never get away with waiting 6 months to relax in a humid climate like St. Louis where I'm from originally. Like right now I'm currently about 5 months post-relaxer. If i were at home I would be sporting a 2 1/2 inch 'fro with about 4-6 straight ends attached. When my hair is not freshly relaxed and I have to travel to a not so dry climate I admit that I have to just deal with my poofy roots and put my hair up.
Finally, when I'm doing hot sweaty workouts I have to relax more frequently. I haven't worked out that much this past year but feel well enough now to get back to it. I may very well go to about 4 months between relaxers. But I think I would be bald by now if I relaxed every 4-6 weeks. Again, this is a very very individual determination based on your hair, your climate, lifestyle, and preferences.

metamorphosis
10-21-2010, 04:18 PM
Im currently in 7 weeks,when I was younger I only got one a year,then two,then the last two years probably every season.But im doing another stretch,its hard because I have the top and surrounding pieces of my hair out and the new growth in the back is getting ridiculous already.I mean its pretty but not when the rest of the hair is straight @_@ doing a pre poo and co wash today just on my hair..ill probably leave the conditioner in over night because this isnt working lol
Taking extensions out the end of october and I will have to deal with a heck load of new growth..eep.D:

Iwanthealthyhair67
10-22-2010, 07:35 AM
I usually get my hair relaxed every 6 - 8 weeks waited to 10 weeks once think I'm gonna sick with 8 weeks though...and I Shiva mentioned my hiar looks better when I got a little roots more volume and body really nice

Elusive
10-31-2010, 10:20 AM
I wait 8 weeks before I retouch the new growth,works just fine for me:)

SimplySteph
11-27-2010, 07:15 AM
I relax every 12 weeks. It works just fine for me...I just have to make sure I deep condition my hair or else I get breakage.

evanny
11-27-2010, 11:18 PM
I'm working on my first 4 month stretch. I usually relax every 12-14 weeks. This time I'm shooting for 15-16 weeks. IDK which one I'll stop at just yet. Either way, I'm counting it as a 4 month stretch.

Pretty86
11-29-2010, 12:52 PM
I relax every 12 weeks. It works just fine for me...I just have to make sure I deep condition my hair or else I get breakage.

That's the key! I never thought I would be able to go longer than 6 weeks. But with cowashing and dc'ing, I'm a few days short of 14 weeks.

Ellee
11-29-2010, 02:48 PM
I usually get one every 3-4 months

Eelite
11-29-2010, 06:42 PM
My biggest problem now is that I have too much new growth in less than 6 weeks and my hair is shedding a bit more. I've been using JBCO and my hair is growing too fast. Now I have to relax every 4 weeks instead.

waitin2liv
02-02-2011, 04:54 PM
i usually go 3-4 months without a relaxer...really isn't that hard...for me...wish i could relax more often though...but that means i would have 2 pay for it...xD

LONGIE1
02-08-2011, 08:47 AM
Hello;

I think applying a relaxer any sooner than the recommended time of 6-8 weeks, depends on your hair growth, if u have more than enough new growth at 4 weeks I would relax it, only because the texture of the new growth and the previously relaxed hair nolonger share the same texture which could result in breakage at the demarcation line (new growth/previously relaxed hair line).

Eelite
02-08-2011, 02:59 PM
I know the feeling; I'm going through right now. I have gone 3 months sometimes.

lsreed13
02-08-2011, 09:31 PM
I used to go 6-8 weeks but now I want to go anywhere from 12-14 weeks and see if that will help my hair grow

hairlicious
02-23-2011, 12:56 PM
I go about every 8 weeks. I have gone to 12 weeks and my hair was shedding a lot! so now I go 8 weeks.

saraesa
03-03-2011, 10:51 AM
From now on I'm going to relax every 8 weeks. Occasionally 9 weeks if I have to. I used to go longer like 10-13 weeks but my hair starts shedding like crazy and detangling becomes a nightmare form hell. Since I texlax with a mild relaxer if i get a little bit of overlapping o well.

BlackHairRockz
03-06-2011, 04:50 PM
Well i'm new to this stretching relaxers. I usally go to 6 weeks then get a relaxer now im stretch to see if i can go pass 6 weeks so maybe 7-9 weeks. PRAY ME. Imma try lol keyword TRY. :)

freeliv
03-11-2011, 03:03 PM

YES! You want to say hurry up hurry up but you have to go too long in a inbetween look that makes a hat (or some covering) the easier way to go. I don't think other ppl look at my hair as much as I do but you never know.

Shanetta
06-05-2011, 06:16 PM
I usually go no more than 8 weeks.

Dashelle*
06-05-2011, 07:55 PM
I try my hardest to stretch it.. for me with shorter hair and its course to begin with, 6 weeks feels like a nightmare.. and most of all I can't stand when all of my not black friends notice either before of after my relaxers with the Oohh your hair is so straight so pretty! Ugh but for my own hair health I try and make it 6 weeks 7 weeks but 8 weeks, oh no! By that time my hair is shedding and really tight on my scalp. So if you can stretch it I say why not but if its gonna risk your hair health, maybe wait.

brownskin924
08-06-2011, 06:00 PM
By the 6-7 TH WEEK MAY HAIR STARTS TO SHED AND EITHER HAVE TO BE PUT IN A BRAID OUT OR PINNED UP.i'M TRYING TO WORK ON STRETCHING.

nikasut
08-14-2011, 07:19 PM
I am now 19-20 weeks post, I was thinking I could do this for like 14 weeks more, but I am scared so I will be relaxing next week

denalove
08-14-2011, 08:50 PM
I am now 19-20 weeks post, I was thinking I could do this for like 14 weeks more, but I am scared so I will be relaxing next week

Are you attempting to transition?

nikasut
08-14-2011, 09:11 PM
Are you attempting to transition?

No I was overprocessed, however, I was thinking that 34 weeks is FOR SOMEBODY who is transitioning :confused: so I decided to relax next week

denalove
08-14-2011, 09:55 PM
No I was overprocessed, however, I was thinking that 34 weeks is FOR SOMEBODY who is transitioning :confused: so I decided to relax next week

My thoughts exactly. That's a long time.

evanny
08-15-2011, 06:54 PM
Shoot I'm only at 17 weeks and I'm already tired of my hair. I'm so ready to relax. There's no way I'd make it to 34 weeks.

nikasut
08-16-2011, 10:34 AM
Shoot I'm only at 17 weeks and I'm already tired of my hair. I'm so ready to relax. There's no way I'd make it to 34 weeks.

Lol I was gonna make it by wearing sew- ins but it was just a thought.

evanny
08-16-2011, 11:07 AM
Lol I was gonna make it by wearing sew- ins but it was just a thought.

Oh! Well in that case I can see how you'd make it there. lol

Cartersgirl29
08-16-2011, 10:33 PM
I'm just approaching 10 weeks now and getting anxious to relax. I'm going to try to make it to 12 weeks. I'm trying to keep the breakage under control with plenty of moisture on my new growth and ends, about an inch an a half of new growth. It' a battle dealing with two hair textures.

denalove
08-16-2011, 10:50 PM

HOw long are you trying to go Ev?

evanny
08-16-2011, 11:11 PM
HOw long are you trying to go Ev?

To be honest I'm debating between relaxing this Saturday or waiting until next Saturday. I'm more than likely going to do it this Saturday.

denalove
08-17-2011, 05:34 PM
To be honest I'm debating between relaxing this Saturday or waiting until next Saturday. I'm more than likely going to do it this Saturday.

Oh..ok, I was beginning to wonder if you were transitioning, Missy.:p

evanny
08-17-2011, 08:44 PM
Oh..ok, I was beginning to wonder if you were transitioning, Missy.:p

What?! HECKS NO!!!!! That's not happening. Not anytime soon. IDK maybe when I'm old. lol I'm just lazy, that's all. I didn't feel like doing my relaxer preparations. :o

Dividir
08-19-2011, 03:30 AM
I always say this but as long as possible.....I am at just under 20 weeks

ggirl
09-19-2011, 05:08 PM
I'm a newbie, usually 6 weeks. The longest so far is 10 weeks. Tomorrow is my 8th week and I have way more new growth than when i went to 10 weeks. Must be the almonds :)

Cherry Coco
09-19-2011, 05:27 PM
Hi guys, i'm a newbie. x
i just relaxed my hair recently , on the 11th September, I want to see how long I can go without relaxing it , normally I must do it every 4 weeks. I will keep you posted,x

tbowen
09-26-2011, 01:42 AM
before I would go two to three months between relaxers when I was wearing extensions , but this summer I decided to wear my own hair which I haven't done in years. I relaxed my hair any everything was going fine, I noticed shedding but i didnt think anything of it. 4 to 6 weeks went by and i decided to relax my hair again and a couple of weeks later my hair was breaking off left and right. I did anti-breakage hair treatment and a deep condition and the hair seemed to be fine from breakage. A month later I tented my hair black and a couple weeks after all of my hair fell out. A large portion of my hair in the middle is no longer than a inch. Im trying to figure out how long will it take my hair to recover and when will i be able to relax my hair again?

Brilonghair
11-04-2011, 08:47 PM
For me it depends. I am currently up to about 5 months. I make sure to take real good care of my hair. If your hair does shed try to use garlic treatment in your hair. It has helped many. I may just get my next relaxer in December so I guess I'm going for 2-4 times a year of relaxing. That way my hair will stay a little more healthier.

nikasut
11-09-2011, 05:18 PM
14 weeks post

curlcrew2
11-09-2011, 05:28 PM
Just relaxed last Saturday 14 weeks stretch.. It went fairly well.

PrincessRN
11-09-2011, 05:32 PM
Last time I went 13 weeks. I will try to do 12-14 weeks this time as well. Currently 6 weeks post.

Steph512
11-28-2011, 07:41 PM
I am 10 weeks post. stretching to 12 weeks. gotta relax cause Im getting married in jamaica on 12/14. The first thing I started to do on my hair journey (which I just noticed today is my 1year hair-anniversary) was stretch my relaxers.

Starting 2012 I will be relaxing only 3 times. I think stretching is the key to strong thick hair. Moisiture and patience and light proteins weekly help the process greatly.

evanny
11-29-2011, 08:25 AM
^^^Happy hair anniversary! And congratulations on getting married! :)

I'm 15 weeks post. I plan on stretching to 20 weeks.

nikasut
11-29-2011, 11:50 AM
I am 10 weeks post. stretching to 12 weeks. gotta relax cause Im getting married in jamaica on 12/14. The first thing I started to do on my hair journey (which I just noticed today is my 1year hair-anniversary) was stretch my relaxers.

Starting 2012 I will be relaxing only 3 times. I think stretching is the key to strong thick hair. Moisiture and patience and light proteins weekly help the process greatly.
:D Jamaica, you ever been there? And congrats btw

Steph512
11-29-2011, 05:52 PM
@ Nikasut & Evanny Thanks! No I've never been. I'm sooooo excited!!

@Evanny, I can't wait to start my 2012 stretches. Hope I can make it to 16 weeks. Henna helps loosen my curl pattern & I love it.

Bodybutter
11-29-2011, 06:05 PM
I hated every trip to the salon as far as time and the potential for burns so went every 6 weeks then every 8, then every 12 until I gave it up for good. The Dominican stylists hated my stretching.."Oh Mammie, you wait too long!":rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

evanny
11-30-2011, 08:01 AM

@Evanny, I can't wait to start my 2012 stretches. Hope I can make it to 16 weeks. Henna helps loosen my curl pattern & I love it.

I've been using cassia and that's helped me out a lot. I understand what you mean in regards to the curls being loosened. I would like to try henna, but I did a couple batch tests and it turns my already auburn hair a scary red. :scared:
You'll make it to 16 weeks no problem. I told myself that 16 weeks would be my maximum, but here I am stretching to 20 weeks. LOL

naturally yours
11-30-2011, 08:26 AM
I use to relax every 12-16 weeks. Even before going on hair boards/ having a healthy hair journey. I never did the whole 6-8 weeks thing.

naturally yours
11-30-2011, 08:27 AM
double post

nikasut
11-30-2011, 09:15 AM

You will love it ! Hopefully u getting married on the north coast of jamaica (that's where all the pretty beaches are and where I live :D )

sharon6345
12-11-2011, 08:29 PM
I can't comb my hair after the new growth get in. I am tender headed for one. Then my hair is the knottiest on the planet. So I wait the two months and it is think and I can't even part it.

BlueVision
12-19-2011, 04:33 PM
I would give myself a touch up every 4 or 5 months.

rene9
01-22-2012, 03:26 PM
I previously went 12 weeks, but I saw a lot of shedding, so 10 is my magic number.

Elise
02-20-2012, 12:08 PM
As someone with fine hair I try not to relax anymore than once a quarter, 3 times a year. Stretching has helped my hair to thicken up greatly.

NaTuRaLe_BeAuTe`
04-25-2012, 12:55 PM
When I use to relax, I would only do it 2 or 3 times a year max. I will say a product that helped me was called profectiv. I think it was the yellow creme (They have different cremes and each one does something different) That kept my new growth soft. Now that I think of that I will take a look at that again and see what ingredients are in it. Maybe I will start using that again

PurplePeony
04-25-2012, 01:06 PM
When I relaxed 4 months was max for me without issues.

Heavalina
06-03-2012, 11:56 AM
I am 13 weeks post. yay

...Love,Me
06-03-2012, 09:26 PM
3 months is my max

NYNewYork
06-03-2012, 10:51 PM
I go about 6-8 weeks

nikasut
06-04-2012, 05:43 PM
I go about 6-8 weeks

Girl keep it at 8 :confused: word of advice, 6 is too soon

Sassi
02-12-2013, 07:02 PM
I was beginning to wonder if I was waiting too long,I go 8-9 weeks, so i'm happy to know that I am not waiting too long. :)

naomimaxine927
02-12-2013, 07:11 PM
Any professional will say a min of 6 weeks, but anywhere between 6-8 is fine.