View Full Version : Deep Conditioning with Leave-In Conditioner

inspired mommy
10-02-2008, 11:27 AM
I know it's important to deep condition your hair but with two kids (3 yrs. and 1 yr.) it's hard to jump in the shower to wash hair...jump out...deep condition with or without heat...and then jump back in the shower to rinse the conditioner out. It's hard for me anyway. That's why I started deep conditioning on dry hair. But I feel my hair benefits better from a deep conditioning treatment when my hair is freshly washed. So, I decided to start deep conditioning with my leave-in conditioners after I wash my hair.
I wash my hair...put conditioner on my hair and let it sit while I finish showering...rinse out the conditioner...get out/dry off...towel blot hair...apply my leave-in conditioners...put plastic cap on and sit with heating cap on for 30 minutes...then add my moisturizer...seal and air dry. My hair comes out just as nice and soft as it would if I deep conditioned with a conditioner that you would have to rinse out. For me this is easier and I know I can leave the conditioner in my hair with no problems. Just thought I would share my experience. I know this may not be something that would work for everyone.

DanceKendra
10-02-2008, 11:34 AM
You know what... Im loving this idea and I think im going to ty it. I dont have a dryer but I do have a 2 year old! And he really limits the time I have to do things. He's into everything...So, Im going to try it and I will let you know how it comes out!! Im going to look on ebay for a heating cap today!

leentora
10-03-2008, 11:29 AM
Mmmm intersting sounds good I may look into it, the I am thinking how strong is the leave in conditoner as tend to use strong DC to add mositure to the hair especially after a protein treatment or do you do this in b/n not always. It sounds good though, just wondering if my hair would appreciate the leave-ins as enough for it as my hair is thick...., KWIM

Ladycc
10-03-2008, 11:47 AM
I would think it would be fine but at some point periodically I think a deep conditioning treatment with a good dc would be needed. I always use a creme leave-in, rollerset and under the dryer for 2 hours. So, I in a sense, am doing the same thing - but I did a deep conditioner prior. If no deep conditioner, after 1 or 2 weeks of doing this I would imagine some breakage. Maybe not enough to be concerned but I think it depends on one's current hair health and needs to maintain that health.

Just a thought.

inspired mommy
10-03-2008, 04:09 PM
Leentora and Ladycc...I believe both of you are right on this. I do think that a "stronger" deep conditioning is necessary at some point. I just started doing this leave in deep conditioning but definitely doing a "stronger" deep conditioning when I think my hair needs it. I like to mix ORS replenishing pak with honey.

k-butterflyy
10-03-2008, 05:15 PM
i actually did this last week for the first time, but i did dc and protein treatment prior. i put on all of my leave-ins, put a plastic cap on for some hours ( i was cleaning so i lost track of time). then i air dried. my hair was really moisturized, soft, shiny, and had lots of movement. i don't know if this had to do w/ the plastic cap on after i put my leave-ins on or not. i tried several new things the last time i washed b/c i'm trying a new regimen. but maybe this contributed to my very pleasing results.

Brownsugar
10-03-2008, 07:54 PM
Leentora and Ladycc...I believe both of you are right on this. I do think that a "stronger" deep conditioning is necessary at some point. I just started doing this leave in deep conditioning but definitely doing a "stronger" deep conditioning when I think my hair needs it. I like to mix ORS replenishing pak with honey.

I think most of us who are Moms can understand and appreciate your situation as we've been there and done that. It's definitely a challenge trying to find any free time for yourself when you have young ones. The good thing is that you are trying to do something healthy/good for your hair. It ultimately will come down to determining what your "hair goals" are. I think if it's simply to attain a semblance of healthy hair, you will need to incorporate some d/c time and if you truly are interested in adding any length (modest or significant), you will NEED to do the d/c even more among other things to promote hair growth. I am a relatively new member and have since decided that I'd like to achieve both. I've also come to realize that this will be a tedious and costly process. I say "time consuming" because I can't just quickly try to do my hair, put a lot of heat on it or even relax it as often as I've become accustomed. ALL of those things stifle the growth process. I say "costly" because I understand EVERYTHING doesn't work for EVERY BODY. So, it will be a trial and error process in determining what methods work best for my hair. With that being said, I know that it will be a REWARDING & EXCITING experience:D Just like anything in life that's important to us, we HAVE to find a way to work them in. The same thing applies to taking care of ourselves. If we don't do this, WE (Mothers/Caregivers) CANNOT take care of anyone.

inspired mommy
10-04-2008, 03:42 PM
I think most of us who are Moms can understand and appreciate your situation as we've been there and done that. It's definitely a challenge trying to find any free time for yourself when you have young ones. The good thing is that you are trying to do something healthy/good for your hair. It ultimately will come down to determining what your "hair goals" are. I think if it's simply to attain a semblance of healthy hair, you will need to incorporate some d/c time and if you truly are interested in adding any length (modest or significant), you will NEED to do the d/c even more among other things to promote hair growth. I am a relatively new member and have since decided that I'd like to achieve both. I've also come to realize that this will be a tedious and costly process. I say "time consuming" because I can't just quickly try to do my hair, put a lot of heat on it or even relax it as often as I've become accustomed. ALL of those things stifle the growth process. I say "costly" because I understand EVERYTHING doesn't work for EVERY BODY. So, it will be a trial and error process in determining what methods work best for my hair. With that being said, I know that it will be a REWARDING & EXCITING experience:D Just like anything in life that's important to us, we HAVE to find a way to work them in. The same thing applies to taking care of ourselves. If we don't do this, WE (Mothers/Caregivers) CANNOT take care of anyone.

Very well said. Thank you for that. :)

leentora
10-04-2008, 03:47 PM
I would think it would be find but at some point periodically I think a deep conditioning treatment with a good dc would be needed. I always use a creme leave-in, rollerset and under the dryer for 2 hours. So, I in a sense, am doing the same thing - but I did a deep conditioner prior. If no deep conditioner, after 1 or 2 weeks of doing this I would imagine some breakage. Maybe not enough to be concerned but I think it depends on one's current hair health and needs to maintain that health.

Just a thought.

Mmmmm I was thinking on those lines in regards to the DC, but yes otherwise it sounds good and may try it at some point.

Sunshyne
10-05-2008, 02:26 PM
This sounds good if your in a hurry..otherwise..Im not so sure.

denalove
10-05-2008, 05:44 PM
Well i am dreading the shower jump out and jump right back in after dc...I can truly identify, then I still have to wash and dc my dd's...I am with ya on the time and convenience thing....I may try..I'll report back.