View Full Version : Is proactiv good for African American skin

admin
10-02-2008, 11:26 AM
I am getting adult acne in my old age. I am wondering does proactiv work just a well on black skin?

DanceKendra
10-02-2008, 11:31 AM
Yay!!! I love proactiv and it is absolutely good for african american skin. Im running out and need to go to the mall and get some more. The mall near my house carries it and I get the big bottles to last me longer even though it can be costly. I really love this product. Not everyone has the same experience with it. My husband uses it and it doesnt work as well. It may be because he doesnt use it twice daily or, it could be because his skin is sensitive...very sensitive. So try it out! You get a 30 day trial!! I think it will probably work out fine for you!! Wishing you the best!

LilMissRed
10-02-2008, 11:39 AM
My ex hubbys daughter whos 17 uses it and its done wonders for her skin :) HUGE improvement

CREODiiVA
10-02-2008, 12:17 PM
I am getting adult acne in my old age. I am wondering does proactiv work just a well on black skin?

Yes..Anything will work if you stay up to it..Also A good healthy Diet will do you good ! 8 Glasses of water a Day..Keeps The Acne away !

CherriPepsi
10-03-2008, 07:47 PM
It's a little strong for my skin. I do like the toner best. I've been curious about the skin ID system that neutrogena has out. It seems promising.

California
10-04-2008, 08:22 AM
I used it for almost two years and it stopped working for me. I just bought the Murads kit from Sephora. I saw it on an infomerical. I hear this is better for sensitive skin. (which I have) The different products work for different skin types.

CREODiiVA
10-06-2008, 11:03 AM

Well ...It didnt work for me..Everyone skin Is different ...Just try It out But It should work If you dont have bad acne

dancerTJ
04-24-2009, 07:33 PM
I used Proactiv and it was not good for my skin, it made me break out even more

virtuouswoman
04-24-2009, 09:36 PM
I have used proactiv and it worked but I noticed that if I didn't use it for like a day or two my skin broke out a little. I loved it, the mask was great it really helped just a little hard to get off lol Now that my acne isn't that bad I just use over the counter products to treat my skin and if the regular version is too strong they do have a milder version of proactive that you can use. I got the three step system and then I got the refining mask, the daily oil control, and the oil free moisture to go along with it, it was great...i really liked it. I never used it two to three times a day like they said, i just used it once and it worked. If if doesn't work you can always get your money back, one of the malls out here where I live actually has it in a vending machine type thing, When I first ordered it they sent me shipments every month and once I realized it and stopped my membership I had about two to three systems I hadnt even used yet, the month system usually lasted me longer and even though I don't use it anymore I still have some left over.

kristimistic
06-28-2009, 05:45 PM
I worked overseas ( Iraq) as a contractor for several years. The water and the heat over there tore my skin up. :( Got back stateside, and did my 30 day straight fix with Proactive. I promise, it completely cleared me up, and kept my skin looking clear, smooth, and healthy. You have to be consistent though. That's the key. :)

4cgrow
06-29-2009, 10:58 AM
No idea, I swear by ACCUTAINE!

LyeNoMoreJordanLNE
06-29-2009, 05:18 PM
I worked overseas ( Iraq) as a contractor for several years. The water and the heat over there tore my skin up. :( Got back stateside, and did my 30 day straight fix with Proactive. I promise, it completely cleared me up, and kept my skin looking clear, smooth, and healthy. You have to be consistent though. That's the key. :)

YES!! Consistency is key..if you miss a day or too and use something else you have messed up!!

virtuouswoman
06-29-2009, 06:20 PM

tell me about it!!! When I got back I used Proactiv for just like two weeks and it worked!! after that I used OTC products!!!

Lolly Lou
06-30-2009, 02:12 AM
YES!! Consistency is key..if you miss a day or too and use something else you have messed up!!

This is true. I use proactive and you have to be consistent with it on a daily basis. For me, though, I also found that along with using it every day, I can't just rely on them totally. Since I have brown skin, I need more moisture than what the lotion ( step 3 ) provides, so sometimes I put a little shea butter on my face. It doesn't break my face out because the medication is working underneath.

I definitely recommend this product if you've tried everything on the market like I did: Neutrogena, Clearasil, African Black Soap, Organic Oatmeal Soap, prescription products in my teens, Noxema, Witch Hazel, Ambi, St. Ive's, etc etc. ...and nothing really changed.

hotpinkyaqua
07-30-2009, 05:41 PM
YES

I use it and have been using it for a few years now

I realized the reason the original formula was making my skin flake off and get red, though

it got rid of my acne (even all of the old scars) but it dryed my skin out which is weird bc my type is sensitive and OILYYYY

now I use the GENTLE formula. my skin is allergic to the original one. :) HTH

4cgrow
08-02-2009, 01:34 PM

No idea, I went on accutaine twice & it helped tremendously. I'd say ACCUTAINE is the truth but u need ur doc to not only prescribe it but FOLLOW thru as in monthly blood tests & double contraception as baby cld be born deformed if you conceive once on it BUT I had really bad acne so I took the risk, had a GREAT doc & voila...it worked.

8yrs later, I'm preggas & my skin is awful...if it doesnt clear up on its own, I'll go on it for the third time after breastfeeding. Its expensive though, not entirely covered & I had to cough up about $240

PurplePeony
02-10-2012, 07:08 PM
ProActiv works...people say it becomes drying because after your skin improves, you have to slowly cut back. I only use the cleanser a few times a week....the toner & the green tea moisturizer are great.

hanna_light
02-10-2012, 07:29 PM
I am happy that it worked for all of you but it made my acne much worst and I used the entire product line faithfully.

PurplePeony
02-10-2012, 07:46 PM
I am happy that it worked for all of you but it made my acne much worst and I used the entire product line faithfully.

maybe you have sensitive skin. They have a sensitive skin formula now. My skin is sensitive too but I never used it as often as suggested.
At first I used it once every other day then as my skin improved I just used the cleanser once or twice a week.
The cleanser is probably causing the flare ups. I can imagine if you have a bad breakout, the exfoliating cleanser would aggravate it.

On all the other days I use my beloved Mary Kay cleanser & moisturizer. It makes my skin feel like a baby`s bottom.

Everyone`s skin is different tho. Some of the things others have raved about have dried my skin out or given me large pores.

jillybean2012
02-12-2012, 11:39 AM

made my skin a lot worse. My dermatologist put me on dermazinc soap(can buy on amazon , expensive but will last two months). Also, she added aqua glycolic toner(also available on amazon). I also use Cerave moisturizer which keeps the dryness at bay.

I started using freemans lemon and avocado mask once a week and my pores have shrunk tremendously.

Works for me. My acne was terrible due to seborrheic dermatitis. In control now.:)

PurplePeony
02-12-2012, 12:24 PM
made my skin a lot worse. My dermatologist put me on dermazinc soap(can buy on amazon , expensive but will last two months). Also, she added aqua glycolic toner(also available on amazon). I also use Cerave moisturizer which keeps the dryness at bay.

I started using freemans lemon and avocado mask once a week and my pores have shrunk tremendously.

Works for me. My acne was terrible due to seborrheic dermatitis. In control now.:)

Where do you buy this mask? TIA