View Full Version : Do Hair Steamers Cause Shrinkage

NaTuRaLe_BeAuTe`
04-23-2012, 01:06 PM
So I tried out my new steamer along with my Jane Carter Solution products and my hair was a COMPLETE DISASTER. I hear ladies talk about shinkage but I dont experience that much when washing. I used a steamer for the first time ever and my shrinkage was unbelieveable. I had such a hard time and now my hair is not as silky as it normally is. If I didnt have the patience I would have chopped all of my hair of yesterday!!! Anyone else experience MAJOR shrinkage when using a Steamer?

Im gonna try the Jane carter products again next week without the steamer to try and eliminate the culprit.

Missey
04-23-2012, 01:18 PM
When I steam, I get major shrinkage. Water draws the hair, and with it being steam, you get a double whammy. It's just so soft afterwards. If I steam for a hour, it really shrinks. I normally put my hair in twists and put it under a bonnet or plastic cap afterwards, so it doesn't affect me that much. I just haven't embraced shrinkage period!! I deal with it because it's hidden.

NaTuRaLe_BeAuTe`
04-23-2012, 03:52 PM
Man I was hoping it was the Jane Carter products especially since I never heard anyone comment on the shrinkage before. My hair was so unmanageable after the steamer it felt I was at the beginning of my transition all over again. My ends felt very tangled. I didnt really notice a difference in softness. IDK maybe im doing something wrong.

Missey
04-23-2012, 05:19 PM
I'm not familiar with Jane Carter products, but the steam gives me hair that is very easy to manage. Hopefully someone else who uses that or has used that product will chime in. Hopefully, it will get better. I would also try something else before I give up on the steamer.

leentora
04-23-2012, 06:24 PM
Shrinkage is a motha when it comes to natural hair. One get a lot of shrinkage when you have tightly coil hair like I did and when water and steam gets to it, I have a TWA. my natural hair coil up is at NL and when stretched it is at APL <--- This is what shrinkage does. I am protective styling for now to avoid facing shrinkage depression :o

NaTuRaLe_BeAuTe`
04-23-2012, 07:40 PM
But that's what has me so confused. I know shrinkage it expected but I don't get major shrinkage like I did with the steamer. That's why I figured it had to be either the steamer or the Jane Carter products. My hair just was not as manageable as it normally is after that

Missey
04-23-2012, 08:32 PM
Aren't you transitioning? If so, do you think it is because of the two textures?

If you aren't, try another product. I'm sure you are a PJ like the rest of us and can take something out your stash. I was under the assumption that the steam would make my curls looser, but it did the exact opposite. If I Dco-wash, my hair shirks also. I guess you. An compare it to how your hands look when you wash dishes. The longer you are in that water, and the hotter it is, make the hands looks really aweful. Put some butters in your conditioner. Butters make things melt. I hope your steaming session is awesome.

NaTuRaLe_BeAuTe`
04-26-2012, 12:01 PM
Missey I am hoping you are right cuz I dont want to give up on the steamer. I have about 2 and a half inches of relaxed ends left if that much. My hair is also layered so I dont really have much relaxed ends on the top. I will say it was my ends that was feeling kind weird though becasue the rest of my hair was soft but there was more shrinkage than normal. Ive decided I will stay away from the flat ironing and blow dryer for about a month and try curls and pony tails. It was just too much to deal with trying to blowdry. I also need to find a good moisturing and buttery conditioner. Thanks again