View Full Version : how do you make your hair wet and wavy for african americans

Sheba
08-29-2008, 10:24 AM
I have a little cousin...and I am wondering how do you make the hair real wavy with that wet look. Is there some kinda grease or foam I can use to get this effect. She is 11 and would like to style her hair like this. Could you post pictures if you hair is like this.

The Anti Hair Slave
08-29-2008, 11:11 AM
Maybe you can try a braidout. It won't look wet but it will have wave to it.

Vermelha
08-29-2008, 02:26 PM
I have a little cousin...and I am wondering how do you make the hair real wavy with that wet look. Is there some kinda grease or foam I can use to get this effect. She is 11 and would like to style her hair like this. Could you post pictures if you hair is like this.

I used to do this style all the time. Take some mousse or Motions Wrap Foam and braid the hair up in plaits all over. You can use clear hair gel and braid the hair as well. When it's semi-dry, you can take it down and style it to your preference. If you are a 3 type, you should just be able to use a clear curl gel or activator to create this wet style. But if your hair type is like 4a or 4b, you may need to create the wave with braids.

Hope this helps!!!

curls4mea
10-06-2008, 10:31 AM
i just wet my hair, put some conditioner in it, and thats it. when it dries you still have your curls but they look kind of dry. so you can put pantene pro-v curl gel and they look like you just got out the shower.

my hair type is 3bc

rajingbutterfli
10-06-2008, 10:47 AM
i just wet my hair, put some conditioner in it, and thats it. when it dries you still have your curls but they look kind of dry. so you can put pantene pro-v curl gel and they look like you just got out the shower.

my hair type is 3bc

Yes, I do this similiar step. My hair can curly up and get really wavy also when wet. I use a conditioner that has a lot of slip to it first , make sure that you comb through it when it is wet while still in the shower. I do my process right before I get ready to get out of the shower making sure that I leave some conditioner on my hair and so that I can let my hair wave up without affecting the formation.
I use Paul Mitchells Mousse. It has some conditioning properties with coconut oil and has medium hold. I put some volumizing stuff close to my roots to get fullness. If I dont have time to let my hair dry alone I break out my hair dryer with the diffuser on a low/warm setting and scrunch my hair by either holding my hair with my hand cupping it or scrunching it in a fist formation while the hair dryer is on it(Caucasions do this step to get the volume and a deeper wave also. ) till it gets fuller. This may take some practice, because I learned how to do this to my hair over the years. Try not to fully dry her hair, because u dont want a lot of frizz. depending on how you may want to do it, you can put some curl definer on it, but the mousse alone should be fine..

Virga89
10-26-2008, 06:47 PM
Whats type 3, 4a, 4b and all those other types?
How do you know what type hair do you have?

CREODiiVA
10-26-2008, 09:52 PM
Whats type 3, 4a, 4b and all those other types?
How do you know what type hair do you have?

4a/b hair has more of a Tight Curl pattern/Or you can say "NAPPY" Texture
3a/b Wavy or looser curl pattern
2b/Straight or very light curl pattern I believe
Just check out

growafrohairlong.com ..You can learn some tips there

CREODiiVA
10-26-2008, 09:53 PM
My hair threw out my whole life only got curly when It was wet lol..But If I added Gel My curls would stay...so I say do a braid out or put alittle gel in her hair

leentora
10-27-2008, 05:55 AM
I do a chinnie bump twist or I think it is the same as a bantu twist (sp) and that will defintely give you a nice wave/curly look.

Virga89
10-27-2008, 11:47 PM
4a/b hair has more of a Tight Curl pattern/Or you can say "NAPPY" Texture
3a/b Wavy or looser curl pattern
2b/Straight or very light curl pattern I believe
Just check out

growafrohairlong.com ..You can learn some tips there

ohh, thnx a lot. well i ges im a 4b, i think.

Ladycc
11-16-2008, 08:37 AM
I use Wet & Wavy wet gel on occasion. It makes the hair look wet when its dry. A little will do it. Too much will keep the curl pattern from forming. Your hair will dry just like it looks when wet. I'll use it in conjuction with BTZ Noodlehead Curl Creme. Here is mine when I used a little too much. I got just a little curling at the ends. My hair still looks wet but is already dry.

DanceKendra
11-16-2008, 08:40 AM
Thats pretty cool. I will probably use that when I go natural.

CREODiiVA
11-16-2008, 12:16 PM
I use Wet & Wavy wet gel on occasion. It makes the hair look wet when its dry. A little will do it. Too much will keep the curl pattern from forming. Your hair will dry just like it looks when wet. I'll use it in conjuction with BTZ Noodlehead Curl Creme. Here is mine when I used a little too much. I got just a little curling at the ends. My hair still looks wet but is already dry.

o wow..I thought U just got out the shower :)

Vermelha
11-16-2008, 09:16 PM
Yeah. I have BTZ Noodlehead too. I plan on doing this with twists. It gives the wet and wavy look and doesn't dry crunchy either. It's best to use directly out of the shower. I love this stuff. I only use it on special occasions though.