View Full Version : 2012 Deep Conditioning Challenge

godiva
01-02-2012, 06:36 PM
Welcome to the 2012 Deep Conditioning Challenge!
We will kick off this challenge on Sunday, January 8th, 2012 and run it until December 8th, 2012.

Like the previous DC challenges, we will be focusing on balance, as it is vital to achieve healthy, long hair! It also avoids moisture or protein overload and helps to prevent knots and tangles that can hinder growth.

The premise of this challenge is simple: pick one moisturizing DC and one protein DC as your staples for the duration of the challenge and use one (or both) to DC at least once per week. Just pay attention to your hair, and use whichever one you think your hair needs most.

You may DC with or without heat (hair dryer or heating cap) or you may use a steamer (more info in the next post)

Joining is simple, just post the following information:
1. Natural, relaxed, texlaxed, transitioning, other (please specify):
2. Moisturizing DC:
3. Protein DC:
4. Main DC method (heat, no heat, steamer):
a. If steaming, what is your method of steaming (tabletop steamer, floor steamer, homemade method):
*If using a homemade method, please describe it:
b. How often will you steam your hair (weekly, biweekly, etc.):
5. What are your hair goals:

****You have the option of switching either or both of your DCs, until Tuesday, January 31st, 2012. Please just be sure to post what you will be switching two, so I can update the list.

Here are a few things to note:
1. A starting and ending picture is encouraged, but not necessary.
2. You are required to deep condition at least once a week!
3. You can deep condition on wet or dry hair.
4. Deep condition with heat or steam for at least 30 minutes
5. If deep conditioning without heat, leave it in for at least 1 hour
6. You can make any additions to your deep conditioner, just post what you added (e.g. oils, honey, eggs or any ingredient of your choosing)
7. You can also make your own deep conditioners
8. Passes are to be used when you do not use one of the two conditioners you listed to be your main conditioners for this challenge.
a. You are allowed 2 passes a month.
b. Please post when a pass is used.
9. Check-in date will be the 8th of every month. At this time, let us know what is or isn’t working for you.

:cool: This Challenge is open to all who would like to join. :cool:

godiva
01-02-2012, 06:37 PM
Benefits of Hair Steaming

- Better circulation in scalp leading to better hair growth
- Cleanses scalp, removing dirt and dead skin
- Brings moisture to your roots and hair shaft
- Leaves your hair soft and smooth
- Great for dandruff sufferers
- Stops dryness and hair breakage
- Makes hair stronger and healthier
- Improves hair color treatments
- Can also act as a facial steamer
(Courtesy of Hair Steamer Hair Treatment - How to use Hair Steamer - Healthy Scalp and Hair (http://expectus.hubpages.com/hub/Hair-Steamer-Hair-Treatment---Setup-and-Benefits) <--additional steaming information also available here)

godiva
01-02-2012, 06:37 PM
Challenge Partcipants
(Member- Moisturizing D;, Protein DC; Heat/No Heat/Steam)

Jusstoya - Silk Element olive oil moisturizing treatment; Vitale hair mayo; Heat/Steamer

PrincessRN - AOHSR mixed with wheat germ oil and honey; AOHSR mixed with wheat germ oil and honey; Steamer

Tatiana - Creme of Nature DC, Olive Oil, Honey, Raw Shea Butter, Avocado Oil, Argan Oil; Motions CPR; Heat

Godiva - Mixed Silk DC; Mane & Tail conditioner; No heat/steamer

bjdiva - ABO Olive Oil Deep Conditioner; ORS Hair Mayonaisse; Heat

Norahl - Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose conditioner; My own concoction of mayo, eggs,
honey, yogurt; no heat (hot moist towels)

Mrs. Harrington - CON D/C; Motions CPR; heat

blkbeauty1981 - Hollywood beauty hydrating hair mask with argan oil; ors replenishing conditioner; heat

ysm - Tresemme w/oil mix; Apoghee 2 Min; old fashioned steamer

breannab - avocado,egg, Cayenne pepper; egg and Mayo with oil; no heat (shower cap)

empressj: Silk Element olive oil conditioner or Silicone Mix;egg, evoo and honey mixed with Silk Element olive oil conditioner or Aphogee 2 step protein (before relaxer and after relaxer; Heat

jusstoya
01-02-2012, 06:45 PM
Siggggn me up. :)

1. Natural, relaxed, texlaxed, transitioning, other (please specify): Relaxed
2. Moisturizing DC: Silk Element olive oil moisturizing treatment
3. Protein DC: Vitale hair mayo.
4. Main DC method (heat, no heat, steamer): Heat/Steamer
a. If steaming, what is your method of steaming (tabletop steamer, floor steamer, homemade method):Floor steamer
b. How often will you steam your hair (weekly, biweekly, etc.):1xwk
5. What are your hair goals:To keep my ng manageable during this stretch and obtain APL :)

PrincessRN
01-02-2012, 08:37 PM
Count me in Godiva!

1. Natural, relaxed, texlaxed, transitioning, other (please specify):Relaxed
2. Moisturizing DC: AOHSR mixed with wheat germ oil and honey
3. Protein DC: AO GPB or ORS Replenishing Conditioner
4. Main DC method (heat, no heat, steamer): Steamer
a. If steaming, what is your method of steaming (tabletop steamer, floor steamer, homemade method): Floor Steamer
b. How often will you steam your hair (weekly, biweekly, etc.): Weekly

5. What are your hair goals: My Hair goals are as follows:
1. Reach APL, then retain as much length as possible
2. Increase length of relaxer stretches (current maximum 13 weeks).
3. Healthy, strong, luscious hair.

Tatiana
01-02-2012, 08:37 PM
1. Natural, relaxed, texlaxed, transitioning, other (please specify): Transitioning from July 2011, 4 Inches
2. Moisturizing DC: Creme of Nature DC, Olive Oil, Honey, Raw Shea Butter, Avocado Oil, Argan Oil
3. Protein DC:Motions CPR,
4. Main DC method (heat, no heat, steamer): Heat
a. If steaming, what is your method of steaming (tabletop steamer, floor steamer, homemade method):
5. What are your hair goals: 12 inches of long, HEALTHY hair!!!:-)

godiva
01-03-2012, 06:36 AM
Welcome aboard ladies!

PurplePeony
01-03-2012, 06:39 AM
I`m in...figuring out the details now.... brb :)

godiva
01-03-2012, 06:39 AM
1. Natural, relaxed, texlaxed, transitioning, other (please specify):Natural
2. Moisturizing DC: Mixed Silk DC
3. Protein DC: Mane & Tail conditioner
4. Main DC method (heat, no heat, steamer): No heat/steamer
a. If steaming, what is your method of steaming (tabletop steamer, floor steamer, homemade method): floor steamer
b. How often will you steam your hair (weekly, biweekly, etc.): Every 2 weeks
5. What are your hair goals: Full, healthy BSL and manageability

Missv
01-04-2012, 10:09 AM
I would like in on this, I just need to figure out my details.

Question, if I get individual braids can I still DC on a weekly basis?

KeshaSharee
01-04-2012, 10:57 AM
I'm on a protective style stint. I'll join later but have fun ladies!

bjdiva
01-04-2012, 11:27 AM
I would like to join this challenge:

1. Natural, relaxed, texlaxed, transitioning, other (please specify): Transitioning
2. Moisturizing DC: ABO Olive Oil Deep Conditioner
3. Protein DC:ORS Hair Mayonaisse
4. Main DC method (heat, no heat, steamer): Heat
a. If steaming, what is your method of steaming (tabletop steamer, floor steamer, homemade method): n/a
5. What are your hair goals: SL Healthy Strong Hair

godiva
01-04-2012, 12:40 PM

I've seen posts where DCing was done will in braids (and weaves) by diluting the conditioner to avoid build-up.

norahl
01-04-2012, 01:05 PM
I'm in!!

1. Natural, relaxed, texlaxed, transitioning, other (please specify): relaxed to texlaxed
2. Moisturizing DC: Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose Conditioner
3. Protein DC: My own concoction of mayo, eggs, honey, yogurt
4. Main DC method (heat, no heat, steamer): no heat (hot moist towels)
5. What are your hair goals: Healthy, strong, long(er) hair

:ninja: :ninja: :ninja: :ninja:

godiva
01-07-2012, 06:43 AM
Welcome to the new additions!

godiva
01-09-2012, 07:37 AM
I want to wish everyone good luck with this challenge! For those who haven't signed up, it's never too late. We'd love to have you aboard, so jump in when you can. :)

breannab
01-09-2012, 04:53 PM
count me in

Mrs.Harrington
01-09-2012, 06:41 PM
Count me in!!
Natural, relaxed, texlaxed, transitioning, other (please specify):relaxed
2. Moisturizing DC:CON D/C
3. Protein DC:Motions CPR
4. Main DC method (heat, no heat, steamer):heat
5. Whatare your hair goals:My hair goal is to obtain BSL by the end of 2012 and have healthier ends

godiva
01-10-2012, 08:06 AM
I`m in...figuring out the details now.... brb :)

You know you want in. :cool:

Have you decided if you are gonna try it with the braids?

count me in

Cool, beans! Don't forget to post your info.

Missv
01-10-2012, 03:23 PM
I think I am going to leave my hair out for now so I will post my info when I get home.

blkbeauty1981
01-14-2012, 02:06 AM
I'm in. I got to get my details together.

blkbeauty1981
01-14-2012, 01:42 PM
1. Texlaxed
2. Moisturizing DC: Hollywood beauty hydrating hair mask with argan oil
3. Protein DC: ors replenishing conditioner
4. Main DC method: heat
5. What are your hair goals: healthy, full hair. APL by march. BSL by the end of 2012.

I'll. Post a current pic shortly.:)

naomimaxine927
01-14-2012, 06:27 PM
Awww Godiva took over the DC challenge...bittersweet lol. I'd like to join but sometime next month. I still have braids in.

besthairweave
01-15-2012, 01:10 AM
Yeah, I definitely will be doing this. I already have a deep protein conditioner. I'm using Organic Root Stimulator Olive Oil Replenishing Conditioner. Now I just have to find a good moisture deep conditioner.

godiva
01-15-2012, 04:13 PM
I DC's today with SE Mixed Silk, no heat for 2 hours. My hair thanks me. :)

ysm
01-15-2012, 05:44 PM
I'm in!
1. Natural.
2. Moisturizing DC: Tresemme w/oil mix.
3. Protein DC: Apoghee 2 Min.
4. Main DC method (heat, no heat, steamer): old fashioned steamer.
5. What are your hair goals: Healthy, strong, longer hair

ysm
01-15-2012, 05:48 PM
I took my twists out yesterday. Had my hair clipped and pressed. Just did a regular DC as it was 3am when I did it.

jusstoya
01-15-2012, 11:36 PM
Steaming now w/Vitale

blkbeauty1981
01-16-2012, 09:50 PM
Deep conditioned today with ors replenishing conditioner. Added honey, evoo, and nexxus humectress to stretch it because I had so little. Then I sat under the dryer for about an hour before rinsing with cold water. It worked out pretty well. My hair feels silky.:)

KeshaSharee
01-17-2012, 06:42 AM
*Peeking in just to be nosey....another 2 months or so

Missv
01-21-2012, 07:13 PM
I am not going to join right now. I went and got a sew-in. Maybe I'll join after I take it out

PrincessRN
01-22-2012, 09:07 AM
I did my DC on Thursday this week instead of my usual sat or sun, because I had to travel yesterday for a funeral and I knew I would be too tired today. I did my moisture DC with steam and as usual my hair loved it.

godiva
01-22-2012, 08:33 PM
Currently marinating in Mixed Silk, no heat. Will rinse out at the 2hour mark.

blkbeauty1981
01-23-2012, 01:59 AM
Just finished my dc with my Hollywood beauty hydrating hair mask. 30 minutes with heat.:)

breannab
01-23-2012, 05:14 PM
1. Natural, relaxed, texlaxed, transitioning, other (please specify):Natural
2. Moisturizing DC:avocado,egg, Cayenne pepper
3. Protein DC:Egg and Mayo with oil
4. Main DC method (heat, no heat, steamer):No heat (shower cap)
5. What are your hair goals:BSL

godiva
01-23-2012, 05:47 PM
Welcome aboard!

godiva
01-26-2012, 10:24 AM
Good steaming info, shared by our own Missey :D

http://forum.blackhairplanet.com/f14/grow-longer-hair-steam-12224/

PrincessRN
01-28-2012, 04:40 PM
I did Aphogee 2 minute today (left it on for 45 minutes) followed by my moisturizing DC under the steamer. I particularly enjoyed my steam today by adding a few drops of rosemary essential oil (thanks to Godiva ;)).

blkbeauty1981
01-30-2012, 12:36 AM
Doing an over night no heat dc with my hollywood hydrating hair mask and a scull cap. I'm just not feeling sitting under the dryer tonight.:sleep:

PurplePeony
01-30-2012, 06:02 AM
I plan to DC today with Palmer`s Coconut Protein Pak

godiva
01-31-2012, 06:23 PM
Currently getting 30 minutes in under the steamer (added eucalyptus oil to water...heavenly) with Mane & Tail conditioner.

blkbeauty1981
02-05-2012, 03:32 PM
Did 30 minutes with heat today using my hydrating hair mask. :D

PrincessRN
02-05-2012, 06:06 PM
Steamed for 30 minutes with my moisturizing DC. Hair is not feeling great. I tried a tea rinse for the first time and it has left my hair feeling a little stiff. Hopefully it will feel better after I M& S and braid it up for the night.

godiva
02-10-2012, 05:00 PM
Pass: used apogee 2 min instead of mane and tail for a lil more of a protein punch. Left it in for about an hour and a half. Now I'm under the steamer with my mixed silk.

blkbeauty1981
02-11-2012, 12:07 AM
Pass used. To my horror:eek:, I am out of my ors replenishing conditioner. Used leklair cholesterol plus on dry hair for 30 minutes. Followed with hydrating hair mask for 2 hours, no heat. I'm trying to get my hair back to normal. I had a bad experience with creme of nature leave in. I put it in detangled wet hair and ended up with dreads at my line of demarcation:crying:. I spent hours detangling with a bobby pin.

godiva
02-17-2012, 06:54 AM
DC's last night with diluted Mixed Silk (currently in sew-in). So far, so good.

PrincessRN
02-20-2012, 12:40 PM
I will be doing my wash day regimen and DC with steam today. However it will be minus the tea rinse. I tried it two weeks in a row and I feel that it caused tangling and increased shedding for me. Maybe it is th tea I used, or maybe my hair just doesn't like tea. Eithre way I will be giving the tea rinses a break and maybe revisit at a later date.

godiva
02-20-2012, 12:50 PM
^Sorry to hear about your experience. I thought the tea was supposed to decrease shedding. What kind are you using?

empressj
02-25-2012, 07:25 PM
Hi everyone,

I'm a newbie. I would like to join this challenge if it isn't too late.

1. Natural, relaxed, texlaxed, transitioning, other (please specify): Relaxed w/highlights

2. Moisturizing DC: Silk Element olive oil conditioner or Silicone Mix

3. Protein DC: egg, evoo and honey mixed with Silk Element olive oil conditioner or Aphogee 2 step protein (before relaxer and after relaxer

4. Main DC method: Heat

b. How often will you steam your hair (weekly, biweekly, etc.): weekly

5. What are your hair goals: APL, keep my hair moisturized and healthy as possible so it can continue to grow.

I hope I did this right....:)

leentora
02-25-2012, 07:52 PM
I will be doing my wash day regimen and DC with steam today. However it will be minus the tea rinse. I tried it two weeks in a row and I feel that it caused tangling and increased shedding for me. Maybe it is th tea I used, or maybe my hair just doesn't like tea. Eithre way I will be giving the tea rinses a break and maybe revisit at a later date.

As Godiva said it is meant to reduce shedding, but it can cause tangles as it strength the hair and require a little more work to work through ones hair in order to prevent breakage and the tangles you mention.

I will say try you some aloe vera juice, if you are looking for a shedding cure. It is also good when attempting to detangle also. You should find that AVJ will cease shedding, reduce tangles and is a perfect pH balance for the hair. I use mine in all sorts of ways possible as it helps with this transitioning process.

godiva
02-26-2012, 06:11 AM
Hi everyone,

I'm a newbie. I would like to join this challenge if it isn't too late.

1. Natural, relaxed, texlaxed, transitioning, other (please specify): Relaxed w/highlights

2. Moisturizing DC: Silk Element olive oil conditioner or Silicone Mix

3. Protein DC: egg, evoo and honey mixed with Silk Element olive oil conditioner or Aphogee 2 step protein (before relaxer and after relaxer

4. Main DC method: Heat

b. How often will you steam your hair (weekly, biweekly, etc.): weekly

5. What are your hair goals: APL, keep my hair moisturized and healthy as possible so it can continue to grow.

I hope I did this right....:)

Come on in; the more, the merrier. Welcome!

godiva
02-26-2012, 06:13 AM
How is everyone doing with their deep conditioners? :)

I'm currently marinating in Mane & Tail.

empressj
02-26-2012, 10:24 AM
Did 1 hour with Silk Elements Olive oil conditioner mixed with 1 egg. I hope this helps with light shedding.

PrincessRN
02-26-2012, 09:16 PM
I DC'd with steam today with my AOHSR mixture for 30 minutes. Then baggie'd for another 30minutes.

blkbeauty1981
02-27-2012, 08:35 PM
I dc'ed yesterday with leklair cholesterol plus on dry hair for 2 hours, no heat. I also did 30 minutes with nexxus humectant.

godiva
03-04-2012, 07:04 PM
currently steaming some mane and tail....feels good.

PrincessRN
03-05-2012, 05:24 PM
DC'd yesterday with steam for 30 minutes. I was a little short of AOHSR so I added some AOGPB to make up the difference. Hair was definitely thanking me afterwards!!!

ysm
03-18-2012, 03:25 PM
I've been DCing w/steam and Tresemme and various oils. Usually for 30-35 min. I did a bentonite clay treatment last week and it washed out soo easily, but 2-3 days later my hair was feeling really dry. So I did a cowash w/Tresemme and avocado oil for 10 min. then rinsed out. Hair feels nice and soft and smooth now.

godiva
03-29-2012, 07:11 AM
I forgot to post this past weekend. :o I DC'd after my cassia treatment with Mixed Silk, under baggy, for at least 2 hours.

godiva
04-06-2012, 07:53 AM
Deep conditioned last night with Mane & Tail. My hair is feeling smooth and manageable at the moment.

godiva
04-16-2012, 10:52 AM
I got in all day DC session with Mixed Silk yesterday. :D

godiva
04-22-2012, 12:25 PM
30 min dc with mane and tail

godiva
04-30-2012, 12:13 PM
Steamed my Mixed Silk for about 30 minutes yesterday; hair detangled like a dream. :D

HairObsessed
05-01-2012, 06:41 PM
You know... I have been doing this challenge and didn't even know it! LOL! I deep condish on the weekends sometimes for a whole day if I have the time.

godiva
05-02-2012, 10:10 AM
^It's definitely like second nature. :)

PrincessRN
05-06-2012, 10:34 AM
I have still been sticking to my weekly Dc's with steam. This week I will be doing the Aphogee 2 minute first and then my moisture DC with steam. Either today or tomrrow.

ysm
05-19-2012, 08:39 AM
I've been steaming every 2 weeks for 1/2 hour w/my oil mix.
I'll be wearing my hair in twists for the summer and since I still don't have an ac, I won't be steaming the summer.

godiva
05-22-2012, 08:31 AM
How's everyone doing? Is deep conditioning becoming second nature or are you experiencing any challenges with techinique or product?

I'm looking for suggestions to make this challenge more interesting. What are your thoughts?

Veecoily
05-23-2012, 06:22 AM
I will join in!
DC is not something I normally do, because I found it to be unnecessary. But I am all about trying what I have not done before. I have a soft hooded dryer that I love, so this is perfect.
I am natural and BSL. Currently my hair is in micro natural twist, but they are scheduled to be taken down this weeK. I will DC once a week currently using Motions DPR, which I heard was a good product. I have had this DC for months. I did try it when I first brought it and I was not impressed. In the past DC does hardly anything for my hair. I get better results with my leave in conditioner. Such good results, that I do not have to apply more moisturizer for at least 3 days.

ysm
07-08-2012, 09:14 PM
I'm still doing my DC w/steam. but now since its summer, it's too hot to do any steaming. Will resume in October.

ysm
09-21-2012, 01:38 AM
Doing the steaming again. it's finally cool enough. but my hair is breaking off. Every time I comb it, there's hair in the sink. :(

Bodybutter
09-22-2012, 08:30 AM
Doing the steaming again. it's finally cool enough. but my hair is breaking off. Every time I comb it, there's hair in the sink. :(

:(So sorry, YSM. I know it can be distressing to have hair breakage but you are doing the right thing by steaming again. Cooler weather is the time to add the heavier oils, do oil treatments with a cap all day..it'll be fine after a while.P.S. Why do you think you have the breakage?

AuNaturale85
11-29-2012, 11:27 PM
Aww... I missed this challenge :( When does the new one start?