View Full Version : Grow Longer Hair with Yogurt

Missey
12-16-2011, 09:16 AM
I saw this in a newsletter from Hairfinity, and I wanted to share it with all of you.
Due to the myriad of shampoos, conditioners, and other styling products available, it may be hard to believe that something right in your kitchen cabinet could yield strong, shiny, luscious tresses. As many people try to move away from harsh detergents, drying gels, and waxy pomades, they venture into the world of more natural products. Many may not realize that Indian women, known for their lengthy, dark tresses, have been using yogurt for years to treat, grow, and preserve their locks.

Yogurt has the protein power to strengthen and moisturize your hair and to tame annoying fly-aways by smoothing your strands. It is high in lactic acid, and has natural antifungal and antibacterial properties. The yogurt works to stimulate hair growth and fight dandruff by acting as a natural cleanser that tightens and clarifies the pores on your scalp.*
Try this simple recipe as a pre-treatment: Simply whip, a sufficient amount to cover all of your hair, plain, unflavored yogurt in a bowl with a fork (for extra nourishment and moisture, you can also add extra virgin olive oil). Apply to dry hair. Part your hair in 1 inch sections and massage the yogurt into your scalp. Continue the process until the yogurt has been massaged into your entire scalp. Then thoroughly spread the remaining yogurt to the rest of your hair from roots to ends. Leave the yogurt in for 1-2 hours. Then rinse the yogurt out with lukewarm water and a mild shampoo. Voila! naturally beautiful hair.

godiva
12-16-2011, 10:23 AM
I tried yogurt once (pics in one of my albums) but haven't been able to find plain yogurt since. If you can find the stuff, I say give it a try. I liked my results.

PurplePeony
12-16-2011, 11:06 AM
I tried yogurt once (pics in one of my albums) but haven't been able to find plain yogurt since. If you can find the stuff, I say give it a try. I liked my results.

My Walmart has plain yogurt.

Missey
12-16-2011, 11:16 AM
I have done yogurt treatments with just applying the yogurt mixed with egg white and sitting under the dryer for a hour, and you are correct. I had forgotten how hard it was to find the plain yogurt. Once, I found one out of all the containers, and I felt like I hit the lottery. I don't eat yogurt, and I was under the belief that the plain kind was always gone because many women use it to treat yeast infections. When treating for yeast, you can't use the flavored kind either. I hope I find some this weekend. I wanna do this on Sunday.

...Love,Me
12-16-2011, 10:16 PM
I never heard of this. Sounds interesting, I'll have to give it a try sometime

Missey
12-16-2011, 10:47 PM
The Grocery Mgr at Walmart said to let whatever store you guy frequent, if it's a Walmart, to stock the plain yogurt and they will do that.

leentora
12-17-2011, 01:38 AM
I do yogurt treatment but not often, I tend to use the yogurt tat has gone off and I don't like wasting stuff so I would whip it up and apply it as a treatment. I will try the plain yogurt treatment and I may consider doing it more frequent when I am natural.

Also check this YT out :).

DIY Homemade Natural Shine Enhancing, Moisturizing Deep Conditioner | Detangling Cream Greek Yogurt - YouTube

Missey
12-17-2011, 10:13 AM
Leentora, how often do you plan on using it when you go natural. I'm natural, and I was wondering if every six to eight weeks was too much.

I know this is straight protein, and I read that most naturals didn't need a lot of protein because our hair bonds haven't been broken down from the chemicals stripping it of the protein. I know we need moisture and protein balance, and I know each head if hair is different.

I'm just curious as to how often other naturals do protein treatments. Being a "healthy natural" is such a learning process. I was an unhealthy one for years, and I don't wanna go back down that road.

leentora
01-03-2012, 09:53 PM
Leentora, how often do you plan on using it when you go natural. I'm natural, and I was wondering if every six to eight weeks was too much.

I know this is straight protein, and I read that most naturals didn't need a lot of protein because our hair bonds haven't been broken down from the chemicals stripping it of the protein. I know we need moisture and protein balance, and I know each head if hair is different.

I'm just curious as to how often other naturals do protein treatments. Being a "healthy natural" is such a learning process. I was an unhealthy one for years, and I don't wanna go back down that road.

I just saw this when searching for something else on here.

I did yogurt treatment I think it was b/n 1-2 times, I did not use Greek Yogurt I had some yogurt that went off and I want to experiment and the results was good.
I would not use it that often maybe once every 8 weeks but ti all depends on how my hair feel. I also have other things I use for protein treatment [that I am pleased with] so this maybe a once in awhile treatment for my hair. Especially, if it stinks too much I may not use it at all after my first trial with it.

Yes you are correct, natural hair texture do not need as much protein treatments as we do when we are or were chemical process. Natural hair requires more moisture than protein treatment.

I will let you know when I decide to try it out, it won't me until March though.... Maybe, I will see.

leentora
02-08-2012, 05:42 PM
Tried the Greek Yogurt method tonight and I like it, it melts the detangles away as I took out my Senegalese Twist last night.

I left it on for 30mins and then clarify with ORS.

The after smell of it touching your scalp is awful it smell like sick ewwww I mixed up a DT (Silk element olive conditioner, Apricot kernel Oil and Aloe vera juice), nice creamy mix and I then work this throughout my hair from root to tips in small sections.

I too tired now so I am going to sleep with this in overnight. Besides my hair needs the extra moisture boost at the moment.

I think I will try the Greek Yogurt mix with Egg and Olive Oil next, for a serious protein treatment!

hanna_light
02-08-2012, 06:27 PM
If this detangles, as well as it promise then it will become a staple of mine now if only I had curls that would pop and look shiny.

norahl
02-08-2012, 09:36 PM
I'm trying this on Sunday! :D

moniquekeller
02-09-2012, 07:01 AM
YOGURT? update with results i gotta see this

Missey
02-09-2012, 09:46 PM
monique, it's really just a strong protein treatment. I am natural, so my hair requires more moisture, but since I baggy a lot, I try to keep a balance with light protein, and a strong protein treatment ever so often. This will keep your hair from being mushy.

You really can't post results that a person might visually see, you can feel the strength in your hair. Give it a try when you feel you might need a strong protein treatment.

Missey
02-27-2012, 01:28 PM
I used the Greek Yogurt yesterday instead of plain yogurt, and I don't know if it's a mental thing because I paid more for it or if it has something to do with using the steamer afterwards doing a DC, but my roots actually feel stronger than the last time I used this and used plain yogurt. I think it's odd that only the roots feel stronger, but I will take what I can get. I kept it in my hair for a little over two hours. I was doing some work on the computer, so the time passed quickly. I also added ACV.

leentora
02-27-2012, 06:33 PM
I have some left in my fridge I am sure it no longer Greek Yogurt but turd :o (has now expired) I intend to use it with some egg and olive on my next protein treatment.

Missey
02-27-2012, 08:17 PM
How long has it been in their Leen? I was wondering if I had to get a new container because I pretty much just do this once a month, or if I could use the expired container. It already smells really loud. I wonder how it will smell when it's older. As long as it doesn't mold, I guess I should be fine. The plain yogurt actually did last the entire month in the fridge and didn't go bad. My son ate what was left. I only eat yogurt that taste just like ice cream.

leentora
02-27-2012, 09:11 PM
It went off on the 13th Feb, there is no mold and it smell the same to me, I did a protein treatment this week but I forgot about it and I want to get rid of some other mess of a conditioner. So I use the conditioner and make a Cathy Howse protein treatment.
I will not do another PT until next week sometime, so that is when I will use it, I will keep an eyes on it, but it is sealed as it comes with an air tight lid.

I only eat yogurt that has flavor :o

moniquekeller
02-28-2012, 06:39 AM
what exactly do you do in this treatment?

Missey
02-28-2012, 07:11 AM
Monique

Try this simple recipe as a pre-treatment: Simply whip, a sufficient amount to cover all of your hair, plain, unflavored yogurt in a bowl with a fork (for extra nourishment and moisture, you can also add extra virgin olive oil). Apply to dry hair. Part your hair in 1 inch sections and massage the yogurt into your scalp. Continue the process until the yogurt has been massaged into your entire scalp. Then thoroughly spread the remaining yogurt to the rest of your hair from roots to ends. Leave the yogurt in for 1-2 hours. Then rinse the yogurt out with lukewarm water and a mild shampoo. Voila! naturally beautiful hair.

ysm
08-12-2012, 12:31 PM
I thought you shouldn't put it on your scalp as the smell was so bad. At least that's what Naptural85 says.

Veecoily
08-12-2012, 01:35 PM
The smell of yogurt is not bad, but maybe some do not like the smell. I do not recommend leaving it on the hair for 1 to 2 hours. 10 to 20 minutes is sufficient enough for any conditioner we use on our hair. The hair shaft will only absorb so much products. So hours is a waste of time. Also yogurt has a tendency to clump, this is what happened to my yogurt treatment and I rinsed and rinsed and then rinsed some more. But still the next day I had chunks of dried yogurt in my hair. I was picking it out for about 3 days. I would only recommend a yogurt treatment if you have a dandruff issue which many times if a yeast problem. In this case the yogurt is of great assistance, and yes you would have to put it on your scalp....Other than that there are to many great detanglers and conditioners on the market to be using my food. Most of the molecular structure of foods are to big to penetrate the hair shaft to do any good. Yet people are still using food for conditioner. I mean I understand because everyone has read that it is good to use items in your kitchen. But you will get more benefits for your hair if you eat these proteins such as:yogurt, eggs, mayo etc.....

Missey
08-19-2012, 09:46 PM
Since I believe in using what's natural, yogurt serves as a great protein treatment for me. I mix mine with the olive oil, and it come out really smooth. Different people have discussed the timeframe for leaving it in your hair, and since it is debatable, do what suits you. I personally don't think leaving it in longer can hurt. Some people have experimented with their hair and find that an overnight deep condition works best versus sitting under dryer for a certain period of time. Since our body chemistry is different, I can't tell them that anything over a certain timeframe is a waste.

I also think that kitchen products are very useful. I agree with eating them for the value, but treating our body on the outide as well as the inside is always a good.

Veecoily
08-20-2012, 12:13 AM
True our bodies are different but scientifically speaking hair itself will only absorb a certain amount of product and the time frame is usually 10 to 20 minutes. I am saving folks some time because we live very busy lives and the less time you can spend on beauty the more time for more important things. Also most people do not know that your hair stops absorbing after a certain period of time. So knowledge is power. If someone wants to condition for hours that is fine, I give accurate information for those who want it. And it does not matter your body chemistry hair can only absorb so much product. So why not save time and money. And the molecular structure of food is to large to penetrate our hair cuticle and most people do not know this, so why not save someone money with knowledge. Eat the food so it can nourish from the inside and benefit your hair more. Yes your hair may feel good when you rinse the product off but it is superficial. It only coats the outside of your hair most is rinsed down the sink. I grew up applying mayo to my hair as a treatment. After I graduated from college and beauty school I learned why the mayo never really helped my hair.

Iwanthealthyhair67
08-20-2012, 10:37 AM
intersting doesn't yougurt help to straigthen new growth also?

Missey
08-20-2012, 04:44 PM
Since this article was not written by me, I can only assume the author didn't take a set of numers they thought were suitable and perhaps some testing was done to arrive at this conclusion. I've seen other sites where actual people said certain timeframes worked for their hair and some said it didn't. And we all know that science is not always exact.

Regardless, my intention was to bring to this forum a protein treatment, and since I didn't write the article, don't know the author, I will just assume her knowledge is just as you feel your information is.

I also read that you can use any type food on your hair as long as you based I with coconut oil or olive oil because they were the two oils that penetrated the hair shaft. Whether that is true or not depends on who you ask, just like everything else in this world.

20 minutes or one hour, do what suits you.

NaturallyNae
08-30-2012, 11:27 PM
I saw this in a newsletter from Hairfinity, and I wanted to share it with all of you.
Due to the myriad of shampoos, conditioners, and other styling products available, it may be hard to believe that something right in your kitchen cabinet could yield strong, shiny, luscious tresses. As many people try to move away from harsh detergents, drying gels, and waxy pomades, they venture into the world of more natural products. Many may not realize that Indian women, known for their lengthy, dark tresses, have been using yogurt for years to treat, grow, and preserve their locks.

Yogurt has the protein power to strengthen and moisturize your hair and to tame annoying fly-aways by smoothing your strands. It is high in lactic acid, and has natural antifungal and antibacterial properties. The yogurt works to stimulate hair growth and fight dandruff by acting as a natural cleanser that tightens and clarifies the pores on your scalp.*
i gotta try this !!

PurplePeony
01-06-2013, 07:20 PM

Missey is this what you do? If so, how has this benefited your hair?

Missey
01-06-2013, 08:59 PM
Missey is this what you do? If so, how has this benefited your hair?

Yes, this is what I do. I mainly use it to balance out all the moisture. I don't have weak or limp hair by doing this protein treatment. I have to try to stay ahead of the protein/moisture game because my hair is moist a great deal of the time and I would hate to have it fall out because of too much moisture.

jorda13456
01-07-2013, 03:29 PM
its possibly worth a try

Ajada85
02-02-2013, 08:48 PM
Im Going to Try This Next Saturday Myself. Alot Of Great Pointers as Well

PurplePeony
02-02-2013, 11:34 PM
I have a large container of plain greek yogurt i need to use up. I may give this a try.

Missey
02-03-2013, 08:28 AM
I have a large container of plain greek yogurt i need to use up. I may give this a try.

I tried the Greek Yogurt. I think mine was a mine thing because I thought I made my hair stronger because of the difference in price. I did go back to the Dannon brand though. I'm actually due a treatment today. I have to decide if I want to do this since I'm gonna go watch the Superbowl and don't wanna come back and sit with this in my hair for two hours. If it didn't run so much, I would put it on my hair and wear my bonnet and wig, but since I have to wear a towel when I do this treatment, that would be a mess.

PurplePeony
02-03-2013, 09:44 AM
i didn`t realize you leave it on for 2 hours. I may have to wait too

cospak
03-08-2013, 01:33 AM
yes its one of the best method to make our hair long and shinny.

musicladyalways
05-04-2013, 06:26 PM
What were you all's results using the yogurt? Did you see more of an outward "shine" or did your hair become "soft" ect.

Missey
05-04-2013, 08:01 PM
^^ my hair feels stronger when I do the yogurt treatment.

musicladyalways
05-04-2013, 08:46 PM
Are you natural or relaxed? @Missey

Mark
06-29-2013, 08:34 AM
Thanks for sharing.

ysm
08-10-2013, 06:54 PM
I have done this as Naptural85's recipe w/ACV and peppermint oil to cover the smell. It worked beautifully. My tangles melted away and my hair was shiny and very soft. since I'm natural, I do a protein treatment once or twice a year usually using Aphogee treatment. The results are comparable. Either you deal w/the smell of yogurt on your hair, which isn't too bad as long as you use an essential oil. Or you deal w/the sticky hardness of the Aphogee. Either way, your hair is rewarded.

rummy26
08-29-2013, 01:59 AM
I have never known that yoghurt can be this much beneficial for hair....

FlaviaCren
12-13-2013, 07:38 AM
Grow your hair and see if you like it more.
If long hair doesn't work for you then you can always cut it short.

By the way, at some point you must have had your hair longer than it is in your avatar picture. Did you like more that way?

KAhmad
01-04-2014, 12:08 PM
I will definitely be trying this

FlaviaCren
03-14-2014, 01:25 PM
Класс! Благодарствую за позитив! Вот бы нам так повезло Все зависит от правильно выбранного туристического агентства Ну ничего, в следующий раз выберем другого турагента И больше никогда не будем связываться с samuidays ru - мудаки
turizm ngs ru/forum/board/thailand/flat/1947002967/?fpart=1&per-page=50

ShayShea
05-08-2014, 03:45 PM
interesting

tomwilliamau
05-26-2014, 03:01 AM
great post thanks for sharing