View Full Version : At-Home-Perms Vs. The Salons: Which do you use?

Lost_In_Perdition
08-23-2008, 07:37 PM
I use to go to the salon every 3 months before I moved out of my parents home in San Francisco and in with my boyfriend in Santa Ana, California. Then I couldn't find a black salon without going far away so I began doing my perms at home, now I do it out of habit. Well, I'm taking my braids out right now, don't have much money, wanna take good care of my hair, but I'm torn, should I go to the salon and get a "good" perm and a trim, or do it myself?

What are your opinions of at-home-perms vs. going to the salon?

1. Do you go to the salon only?
2. Do you use at-home-perms only?
3. Do you use both?
4. Do you use neither, preferring to go at it naturally?

kara
08-23-2008, 09:41 PM
I am not good at doing it myself.

CREODiiVA
08-23-2008, 11:07 PM
I do it At home ! Mom does it For Me !

jasnian0313
08-24-2008, 09:16 AM
ive never gotten a perm at the salon...ive only done them @ home. i dont think that u need to go to the salon to get a good relaxer either...my sister does her own relaxers and her hair is nice and thick and healthy...shes been doing it for years and she does mine...

leentora
08-24-2008, 09:52 AM
Salon is a thing of the past for me, I have learnt over the yrs to do it myself, see my albums I have my own salon at home girl, I have even learn how to dust/trim my own hair.

Please take into consideration - this works for me and is my own opinion. :)

denalove
08-24-2008, 09:53 AM
I won't ever give my self a relaxer. Salon only

CREODiiVA
08-24-2008, 09:55 AM
Salon is a thing of the past for me, I have learnt over the yrs to do it myself, see my albums I have my own salon at home girl, I have even learn how to dust/trim my own hair.

Please take into consideration - this works for me and is my own opinion. :)

I would only advice someone to go to the salon If they have no one else to do it for them ,..And they cant do it themselves..

I would never do my relaxer or anyone elses ..I would for sure be bald headed :p.........I suck At relaxers
So When I move out the house away from my mom I might probably have to go to the salon Because I dont know how to do them

..BUT GOING NATURAL IS ALWAYS A OPTION !:)

leentora
08-24-2008, 10:10 AM
I would only advice someone to go to the salon If they have no one else to do it for them ,..And they cant do it themselves..

I would never do my relaxer or anyone elses ..I would for sure be bald headed :p.........I suck At relaxers
So When I move out the house away from my mom I might probably have to go to the salon Because I dont know how to do them

..BUT GOING NATURAL IS ALWAYS A OPTION !:)

I do mine relaxer, my mom's and my sister and friends; now they all don't want to go to the salon as they like the results they get and also they like the products I use and the stylsit sometimes don't use the products I use on them; Mmmmm I might of to start charging them rofl :D

I have been relaxing for awhile so I am confident it what I do, so I am not too bothered, but it works for me, but may not work for someone elses hair.

CREODiiVA
08-24-2008, 10:17 AM
I do mine relaxer, my mom's and my sister and friends; now they all don't want to go to the salon as they like the results they get and also they like the products I use and the stylsit sometimes don't use the products I use on them; Mmmmm I might of to start charging them rofl :D

I have been relaxing for awhile so I am confident it what I do, so I am not too bothered, but it works for me, but may not work for someone elses hair.

You can fly To Florida and Do mine when I move ok..Thankyou Your a doll :D

leentora
08-24-2008, 10:20 AM
You can fly To Florida and Do mine when I move ok..Thankyou Your a doll :D

you joker :p, we are flying into Florida that is where my husband parents are lol, Mmmm I will let you when I am there :D

CREODiiVA
08-24-2008, 10:22 AM
you joker :p, we are flying into Florida that is where my husband parents are lol, Mmmm I will let you when I am there :D

haha Everybody got Family in Florida Now ...Thats crazy So do I ..Im from California Though..Never Forget That ! :D

leentora
08-24-2008, 10:23 AM
haha Everybody got Family in Florida Now ...Thats crazy So do I ..Im from California Though..Never Forget That ! :D

Whatever Cali girl, just remember I am a Yard girl :D :p

Lost_In_Perdition
08-24-2008, 11:52 AM
WOW! This is really surprising, I though for sure everyone went to the salon... Okay now I feel a lot better. I'ma do it at home again, I just need to go get a badly needed trim.

browneyedgirl
08-24-2008, 01:16 PM
i chose both...i think it took my vote

Sunshyne
08-24-2008, 01:58 PM
I voted for Salon only. Not ready to self-relax yet.

Dividir
08-25-2008, 01:04 AM
I am trying to self relax now. Because 1 it is MUCH cheaper, 2 I want to start texlaxing properly. 3. I have to make the time to go to the RIGHT salon. And that takes a while to get there, book an appointment. Too much h***el. I want to go there for my proper trims/ cust. But i will be tryign to dust my self.

Carolinagirl_22
08-25-2008, 08:29 AM
Well I do both it just depends on if you can apply it by yourself and do it within the time 20-30 mins so u wont damage yourself. Salon strength relaxers are a little stronger than the at home ones, but if you do it yourself you basically get the same results. I do my own hair now but my mom and two of my aunts are licensed cosmetologists so I have them to ask if I have any immediate issues with my hair. Some salons only want you to use their products!!! That sucks because I know my hair and I know what works and what doesnt work and if I'm paying I want to be able to choose my products.

tashaluv02
08-25-2008, 10:35 AM
I do my own, and have been since I was a teenager. Its much too expensive at salons. In fact I only go to the salons if someone is treating me!

CherriPepsi
08-25-2008, 03:41 PM
I chose both but I rarely do both anyway.

Dividir
08-25-2008, 04:19 PM
I do my own, and have been since I was a teenager. Its much too expensive at salons. In fact I only go to the salons if someone is treating me!

I need to get me a boyfriend, who will treat me. I had one who said he would pay for me to get my weave. Still waiting!! lol I guess my recent ex does enough, just by listening to me moan and moan about hair!

kaveese
08-29-2008, 09:37 PM
I have been wearing wigs now for years. My hair has really grown. Now, I am going to take a trip to a very hot country and I would like to get a relaxer. I am new to Tucson, AZ and have not located a salon. What is a good relaxer that really straightens the hair? And what products should I use to take care of the hair after the relaxer? I used to use Dark and Lovely years ago and my hair was not smooth, actually it looked as if I just washed it. I would have had to use a hot comb which I do not know how to use very well; so I put the wigs on. Thanks for any information.

Luvlymissk
08-29-2008, 10:25 PM
As much as I would like to always get a relaxer at the salon, I can't so most of the time my mom does it. But I do go when I can.

Dividir
08-30-2008, 01:44 AM
I have been wearing wigs now for years. My hair has really grown. Now, I am going to take a trip to a very hot country and I would like to get a relaxer. I am new to Tucson, AZ and have not located a salon. What is a good relaxer that really straightens the hair? And what products should I use to take care of the hair after the relaxer? I used to use Dark and Lovely years ago and my hair was not smooth, actually it looked as if I just washed it. I would have had to use a hot comb which I do not know how to use very well; so I put the wigs on. Thanks for any information.

If I were you I would just stick to the wigs while your out there. As one changing the condition of your hair (ie relaxing it) will stress your hair out enough and you'll need to get used to caring for your relaxed hair so that it does not break. This involves figuring our a routine and trying to stick to it (not that I am 1 to talk)

Not to mention, if you are the type to sweat in hot climates (as I know about that) the sweat will need to be washed or rinsed out of your hair, especially if it is freshly relaxed, as it can be drying.

The Anti Hair Slave
08-31-2008, 11:13 PM
I do both, depending on my cash flow. I can do it myself without any problems, but it's a bit of a hassle so I would prefer to go get it done.

kita
09-01-2008, 09:18 PM
When I relax my own hair I tend to keep it longer. When I go to the salon they get me everytime. I seem to have to start over from zero.

milkdud
09-03-2008, 11:45 AM
You can get the same product for home perming as the salons. Why pay 70dollars or more to have someone do a 5 dollar job. Save your money and time. If you went to the salon you would sit for two hours while they take several other customers on your time. At home perming can be done within one hour or less from start to finish. Make sure you rinse really well. :)

k-butterflyy
09-03-2008, 11:33 PM
i go to the salon. i thought that i was being thrifty, but i only ended up with really damaged hair. it took years for recovery. i go once every 6-8 weeks.

cdme
09-09-2008, 08:46 PM
I mainly do my own. If I am feeling lazy and I have the extra money, I go to the Salon. But I actually think my relaxers come out better when I do them.

HR Highness
10-15-2008, 09:02 AM
Why wasn't "Get your BFF to come for a weekend visit and y'all do each others hair." an option?! That's what I do. Sometimes I go to her house. :D

keesh89
10-24-2008, 05:36 PM
i do at home ...grandma does it for me

evanny
10-24-2008, 11:53 PM
I do my own at home. Well I relax, I've never had a perm.

Pudding Pop
10-30-2008, 12:33 PM
I do mine at home. I dont have all that money to spend on a salon relaxer. I think they overcharge for them. I plan on self relaxing tomorrow night , deep conditiong overnight then on Saturday morning Im going to the local cosmetology school for a cheap roller set.

Ladycc
10-30-2008, 01:24 PM
I tex-lax at home.

arden
10-30-2008, 05:34 PM
I voted for at-home. Call me wierd but I feel as if no one can relax my hair....like I can. lol

Sharii16
03-02-2010, 12:08 PM
Well Personally , I Took A Huge Step From The At Home Perms And All Perms Period . But , I Said Salon Perms Because I Don't Like Other People Putting Their Hands In My Hair Except My Mom And Stylist . I Go To A Beauty School Whereas There Is A Professor That Watches EXTREMELY Close For No Mistakes In Burns Scrapes Trimming Nothing . I Say They Do An Excellent Job . But I Do Strongly Encourage Any Ladies Or Men That Love To Get Relaxers Go To A Beauty School . HTH .

Lady Hawk
03-02-2010, 12:22 PM
I voted at home. I've been doing my own relaxer for four years now and my hair is much healthier and it's growing.

kCurious
03-02-2010, 03:44 PM
I wouldn't mind going to the salon for relaxers but I enjoy doing them at home by myself. I love being in control of my hair. It's a preference; if you're not comfortable doing it at home or the results of doing a perm at is not to your liking then a salon may be the way to go.

DebonHair
03-05-2010, 09:36 AM
uhhhh minus the long waits, the bone straight limp lifeless the chemical burns and the never ending chatter. I prefer to do my relaxers at home. I admit it is easier when you practice at first with a deep conditioner then it just keeps gettin better and better.

rpg1908
03-05-2010, 09:58 AM
I selected both becuase I do both. Sometimes I want someone else to be in charge of my hair and other times I resent anyone who goes near my hair.

glassbutterfly
03-05-2010, 12:14 PM
I do my own perms from now on. After so many problems with salons who have ruined my hair with relaxers, hot combs and even weaves (this incident was the deciding moment for me. She put the tracks in from front to back on the crown instead of following the contour of the head so that you couldn't part the hair in the front. I didn't notice because she styled it so well but after I got home I was furious. That's when I decided no more salons. I learned to relax, braid, weave, everything on my own.)