View Full Version : Vigorol

kita
08-23-2008, 04:22 AM
Vigorol is a soft relaxer that does not straighten the hair it loosens the coils of the hair making it easier to comb. You use Vigorol like a relaxer, but the texture is not cream it is liquid. Vigorol is great. Most new school beauticians cannot apply a Vigorol it is old school. You have very positive results with Vigorol. You can not put Vigorol on relaxed hair apply it only to natural hair. Vigorol makes the hair soft and it helps the hair to maintain a press. Vigorol was used on children hair when they turned 11 years of age. I put a vigorol in my daughter's hair. Vigorol is very different from a straight relaxer. You may only need to use it 2x a year. I am thinking about going back natural and using this relaxer. It is very inexpensive and it smells like eggs or sulfur you must use a neutralizer as well. There is a number to call the company listed on the box. Vigorol neutralize shampoo is sold individually. I have never had breakage with this product. I stopped using this product, because hair press is expensive and range from $40.00 and up. A hard pressing will make your hair look lack a regular relaxer. Note: If you sweat in your hair, it will convert back to a natural look. A Vigorol is a good choice for women who would like the curly natural look. If the hair is braided then taken down it would appear curly. Check your online information about this product. Hair does not break when growing out, due to it is has not broken down far from its original state.

jasnian0313
08-23-2008, 08:14 AM
im looking that up right now...i might start using it....u can use it only on new growth if ur trying to grow ur relaxed straight hair out right??

leentora
08-23-2008, 11:07 AM
woooo I am gonna to some research, by the sounds of itl; it sounds better to conventional relaxers but I think it will be fasting and prayer for me to break away away from my Affirm Fiberguard, but I am still going to og look into 'Vigorol'

leentora
08-23-2008, 04:34 PM
I have found this review from a website where some women tried the Vigorol Relaxer
Vigorol Relaxer - Long Hair Care Forums (http://www.longhaircareforum.com/forums/showthread.php?p=481905)

My stylist recommend that I get a Vigorol......... - Long Hair Care Forums (http://www.longhaircareforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4862)

Another user from Amazon
Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: VIGOROL Liquid Hair Relaxer Two Complete Applications 4oz/112ml (http://www.amazon.com/review/product/B000Q7VCXQ/ref=dp_top_cm_cr_acr_txt?%5Fencoding=UTF8&showViewpoints=1)

http://us.st12.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/I/texasbeautysupplycom_2012_12176631

http://us.st12.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/I/texasbeautysupplycom_2012_12172623

kita
08-23-2008, 04:48 PM
woooo I am gonna to some research, by the sounds of itl; it sounds better to conventional relaxers but I think it will be fasting and prayer for me to break away away from my Affirm Fiberguard, but I am still going to og look into 'Vigorol'

No, this is for virgin hair.

leentora
08-23-2008, 04:53 PM
oh I see duh it actually makes sense now, I am such a twit at times :o

kita
08-23-2008, 05:02 PM
I liked it. I see that they posted bad results. My daughter hair did well and so did my hair. It doesn't straighten the hair it makes it manageable. Do not use it on relaxed hair this is for virgin hair only. I only used it twice a year. With these reviews it sounds like a bad product and I am like Leetora reseach all products first. If I ever go back natural I would use this product. It does smell I agree, but alot of relaxers smell. If you read my posting I did address the smell. So it is up to the individual to make a choice.

jasnian0313
08-24-2008, 08:42 AM
yea when i did research on it i didnt see to many good reviews...one lady mentioned that she really didnt like it since u can only apply it to the new growth but its difficult considering it is liquid

CherriPepsi
08-25-2008, 03:38 PM
I remember that stuff. My mother used to use it on my hair. It did help as whenever she used to do our hair, we (my sis and I) were in a whole world of pain.

GinaLondon2004
09-11-2008, 09:56 PM
Does vigorol do less damage to hair than regular relaxer? If so this could be a solution for those of us who are self relax challenged. I cant self relax my hair at all. I wish i could

Dividir
09-12-2008, 03:34 AM
You cant mix it with relaxed hair... because i think it is thio sulphate... Jherri curl stuff....

CherriPepsi
09-23-2008, 07:04 PM
Does vigorol do less damage to hair than regular relaxer? If so this could be a solution for those of us who are self relax challenged. I cant self relax my hair at all. I wish i could

Don't bother. It's time consuming and it's difficult to use that stuff too (I self applied it a long time ago). Also, it can leave your hair dry and smelling of sulfur for weeks, after every wash.

steffiejoe
03-16-2009, 06:14 PM
I remember seeing this product in the old drug stores. I don't see the point in using this , if you still have to press or straighten your hair.

kita
03-16-2009, 06:17 PM
I remember seeing this product in the old drug stores. I don't see the point in using this , if you still have to press or straighten your hair.

Gurl, I took my hair down today and thought about this product. I have some serious naps. I use it to blow my hair out. It makes my hair easy to comb.

choxie
04-23-2009, 07:10 PM
Vigorol is a soft relaxer that does not straighten the hair it loosens the coils of the hair making it easier to comb. You use Vigorol like a relaxer, but the texture is not cream it is liquid. Vigorol is great. Most new school beauticians cannot apply a Vigorol it is old school. You have very positive results with Vigorol. You can not put Vigorol on relaxed hair apply it only to natural hair. Vigorol makes the hair soft and it helps the hair to maintain a press. Vigorol was used on children hair when they turned 11 years of age. I put a vigorol in my daughter's hair. Vigorol is very different from a straight relaxer. You may only need to use it 2x a year. I am thinking about going back natural and using this relaxer. It is very inexpensive and it smells like eggs or sulfur you must use a neutralizer as well. There is a number to call the company listed on the box. Vigorol neutralize shampoo is sold individually. I have never had breakage with this product. I stopped using this product, because hair press is expensive and range from $40.00 and up. A hard pressing will make your hair look lack a regular relaxer. Note: If you sweat in your hair, it will convert back to a natural look. A Vigorol is a good choice for women who would like the curly natural look. If the hair is braided then taken down it would appear curly. Check your online information about this product. Hair does not break when growing out, due to it is has not broken down far from its original state.

Vigorol,

I remember those from the 70's. STANKY-WANKY!!!!!!

Can't say too much about what it did for my hair. We got pressed bi-weekly, but it was greased to within an inch of it's life. But I remember that it was stinky.

kita
04-24-2009, 07:33 PM
Vigorol,

I remember those from the 70's. STANKY-WANKY!!!!!!

Can't say too much about what it did for my hair. We got pressed bi-weekly, but it was greased to within an inch of it's life. But I remember that it was stinky.

I love that stuff to this today. It does stink, but it helps me to comb through my hair.

MochaLFDyva
04-24-2009, 07:46 PM
I like what it is supposed to do but by the reviews it sounds scary, lol.... Does anyone know of similar products that are meant to do the same thing. I am all natural and have 4b hair and would love to have more "relaxed" coils/curls...

kita
04-24-2009, 07:47 PM
I like what it is supposed to do but by the reviews it sounds scary, lol.... Does anyone know of similar products that are meant to do the same thing. I am all natural and have 4b hair and would love to have more "relaxed" coils/curls...

No one likes it but me sorry.

MochaLFDyva
04-24-2009, 07:50 PM

Lol, nothing to be sorry about, I appreciate you sharing this. If there was no smell I would try it but everyone in my home is ultra sensitive to smells.... I could just hear my lil man now saying "Mommy u here is stinky, peee-uuu", lol

kita
04-24-2009, 07:53 PM
Lol, nothing to be sorry about, I appreciate you sharing this. If there was no smell I would try it but everyone in my home is ultra sensitive to smells.... I could just hear my lil man now saying "Mommy u here is stinky, peee-uuu", lol

That is so funny how cute. I love him already.

MochaLFDyva
04-24-2009, 08:22 PM
yeah he is a trip about my "here", lol

CherriPepsi
04-24-2009, 11:50 PM

You are so old school, Kita. I still remember when my mother used that stuff in my hair and it stank for months after every time I washed it. Ah memories of Nappydom. But I admit it does make hair more manageable. I might got back to that myself one day and be bombarded by a million and one questions by my cousins.

"Ew, why does your hair stink?" :p:D

choxie
04-29-2009, 09:41 AM

So, KITA, tell us how you use it.

Will a nuetralizing shampoo cut the smell I wonder?

I have a 11 yo that would love something to help with the combing of her hair.

Do you have to press the hair to get the benefits or does it help with ease of combing on regular washed and air-dried hair.

Can you swim with it? I seem to remember my hair coming out from swimming with vigorol.

CherriPepsi
04-29-2009, 07:30 PM

Do you have to press the hair to get the benefits or does it help with ease of combing on regular washed and air-dried hair.

Can you swim with it? I seem to remember my hair coming out from swimming with vigorol.

No it doesn't I'm afraid. Buy a nice smelling shampoo and conditioner, some jasmine essential oil (or whatever you like that smells nice) and mix it with another oil like sweet almond oil or coconut oil. It may help to mask the smell but all I remember is that you should AVOID GETTING YOUR HAIR WET AT ALL COSTS ONCE YOU USE VIGOROL.

I hoped I helped a bit. :)

creolesugar
04-29-2009, 09:15 PM
guess I won't be using this stuff. I hate products that make my hair stink!

CherriPepsi
04-30-2009, 11:52 AM
Yea It's a bummer but I won't lie about this- some of my best braid outs came from using that stinky mess.

creolesugar
04-30-2009, 08:04 PM
lol

don't get me wrong--I won't use nicely scented products if they don't do anything for me

I require BOTH of what I desire: functional and pleasant

kita
04-30-2009, 08:20 PM
You are so old school, Kita. I still remember when my mother used that stuff in my hair and it stank for months after every time I washed it. Ah memories of Nappydom. But I admit it does make hair more manageable. I might got back to that myself one day and be bombarded by a million and one questions by my cousins.

"Ew, why does your hair stink?" :p:D

I know I am old school in some areas, but new in others girl. lol

kita
04-30-2009, 08:24 PM

That pool is no joke. Her hair might break from the chlorine. Those chemicals are bad for your hair. As for the smell I use vigorol Nuetralizing shampoo after washing it several times it is not as strong. I only use it 2-3 times a year.

kita
04-30-2009, 08:28 PM
No it doesn't I'm afraid. Buy a nice smelling shampoo and conditioner, some jasmine essential oil (or whatever you like that smells nice) and mix it with another oil like sweet almond oil or coconut oil. It may help to mask the smell but all I remember is that you should AVOID GETTING YOUR HAIR WET AT ALL COSTS ONCE YOU USE VIGOROL.

I hoped I helped a bit. :)

Why should you avoid getting your hair wet? My hair doesn't draw up or are you talking about the smell. I use Vigorol on my daughter hair I did not leave it in her hair long. I rarely pressed it. I missed those days. We had so much fun.

CherriPepsi
05-01-2009, 03:21 PM
Why should you avoid getting your hair wet? My hair doesn't draw up or are you talking about the smell. I use Vigorol on my daughter hair I did not leave it in her hair long. I rarely pressed it. I missed those days. We had so much fun.

The smell, kita. It somehow followed me like a phantom when my hair was wet.

prettykinks
05-03-2009, 06:54 AM
My grandmother used to take me to the salon to get this done. I hated it big time! The smell made me want to puke every time I went to have it done. I hated having to get my hair pressed with the hot comb. She burned me every time LOL. The comb seemed extra hot when I went there. I will never go back to that LOL.

CherriPepsi
05-05-2009, 05:59 PM
I remember teaching myself how to use a hot comb. I missed a few spots but I wasn't too bad.

cuttinup97
05-06-2009, 09:55 AM
Where can you get this product. I have never heard of it in my 12 years. Thanks

cuttinup97
05-06-2009, 09:58 AM
I know of the Lustrasilk Hair Culture... it is a liquid that you dry into your hair and press with no grease. Has anyone heard of this?

CherriPepsi
05-06-2009, 09:02 PM
This (http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080801075238AAovfni) has a link in it that is great for explaining Thio and Lye relaxers. I just didn't want to pull a cut and paste without leaving some credit to the lady who posted it.

vicky3278
06-07-2009, 03:21 PM
Kita.....u gave good information and good advice on using a vigorol. My aunt use 2 put it in my hair as a young girl and my hair was so long and thick but manageable. Now I use it in my daugher's hair and it's the same with her. Her hair is so long, thick and much more manageable than when she was younger. I could hardly comb her hair b4 because it hurted so badly and it was 2 thick 2 comb. I thank God 4 vigorol. It's a much better alternative than regular relaxers that thins out your hair and eventually break it off. I have been using it off and on throughout my adult life and it still works well. Try your local beauty supply stores because they have it here in mine. I live in Raleigh, NC. It's around $3 or $4 depending on which beauty supply store u visit. We have so many here.