View Full Version : Baggying/green house effect (ghe) challenge

Iwanthealthyhair67
09-23-2011, 10:59 AM
I've been reading up on the GHE method on another site and decided to give it a whirl, and thought that maybe some of you maybe interested particularly if you are already participating in Protective Styling challenge, these two challenges should work well together...

Based on feedback, I'd like us to do a 3 month challenge, beginning October 1, 2011 to December 31, 2011.

Let me know what your thoughts .........

What is the Green House Effect?

WHAT'S THE POINT, WHAT DOES IT DO?
The whole point of the entire Real Queens Regimen is to eliminate the process of using hair products that contain chemicals and start using the natural things that God created to help grow your hair…as you can see from my progress pictures, the green house effect helps to promote hair growth by creating a natural warm steamy environment that enables the natural oils from your scalp to come out and help your hair grow...it's also great for dryness because of all the moisture produced.

ISN'T THE GREEN HOUSE EFFECT JUST BAGGYING?
Baggying involves using a moisturizer (which contains chemicals) and a plastic cap to help retain moisture and hydrate your hair. The green house effect is mainly to help promote hair growth in a natural way as well as restore moisture.

CAN I USE A BONNET INSTEAD OF A HEAD WRAP/SCARF?
The whole point of tying your head after putting on the plastic cap is to trap the heat that your head produces to create that "green house effect". I don't sweat very easily so I find that for me I get the best results when I tie my head with my scarf then I put on my warm hat, but you can do whatever works for you. someone mentioned that they use their satin bonnet then they put their beanie (hat) over it, and that worked for them. The main goal is to get your head to sweat a little, and you'll know if you did it right if you wake up in the morning and take the plastic cap off and see little drops of water in it and your hair is a little damp

DO YOU HAVE TO WASH THE OIL OUT?
no, you don't...the point is to not wash out the oil. It's not like a hot oil treatment where it needs to be rinsed out. simply style your hair as usual and repeat the green house effect as often as possible.

DO YOU HAVE TO REAPLY THE OIL EVERY TIME?
It depends, some peoples hair absorbs oil more then others. I find that sometimes (when i do the regimen every night) my hair still has a good amount of oil in it from the previous night so i don't need to reaply and i just skip the oil and put the shower cap on and tie my head.

DO YOU PUT ANYTHING ON YOUR SCALP?
No. The green house effect causes your scalps natural oils to come out so you want these natural oils that God created to do the job. There's no need to oil your scalp directly just put the evoo on your hair

DO YOU STILL MOISTURIZE AND SEAL?
because i only use natural products in my hair I moisturize with water and seal with evoo

CONCERNED WITH MY HAIR BEING DAMP IN THE MORNING...
your hair won't be WET just a little damp because of the moisture...when you apply a moisturizer in your hair the key ingredient is water so your hair feels a little moist...same concept...your hair will feel moist. I use water when doing the green house effect because i prefer it that way so my hair usually air dries in 15 minutes. you don't have to use water though that way your hair won't be as damp when you take the cap off.

Info on GHE was taken from here (http://www.loveyourtresses.com/2011/01/greenhouse-effect-regime-real-queens.html).

and here some refresher info on bagging

Retaining Moisture using the Baggying Method (http://www.mykinksandcurls.com/2011/01/retaining-moisture-using-baggying.html)

Nia Everal
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_8uaJ9ls8JUg/RyVblu0jMnI/AAAAAAAAAWE/2tBCqRAT0RU/s320/baggy.jpg (http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_8uaJ9ls8JUg/RyVblu0jMnI/AAAAAAAAAWE/2tBCqRAT0RU/s400/baggy.jpg)
Baggying is a method used for adding moisture and retaining moisture to hair. In the baggying method a moisturiser or conditioner is applied to the hair and the hair is then cover with either a plastic cap, shower cap or plastic bag overnight or for an extended period of time. The result most experience from baggying are softer, moisturised, hydrated and healthier hair.

I used the baggying method on my hair last night because my hair was just overly neglected and DRY! (I was doing intense last minute studying for exam). I used S-Curl Activator and Aussie Miracle Hair Insurance Leave-In and the results were tremendous, honestly I wish I had taken some before and after photos because my hair transform from dry and crunchy to super soft and curly (I mean those curls were POPPING!!) – I actually couldn’t believe it. The results actually rivalled those of a deep conditioning or hot oil treatment, so I would absolutely recommend baggying if your hair is going through a disastrous dry spot that you try this.

Actually baggying can be used for than just dry hair revival… It can be used to get and maintain healthy ends, also it can prevent hair breakage and therefore you retain more length.

Below are a few video of how to baggy correctly – so check them out for more information.

**Top tips
** Don’t use to much moisturiser as this may cause breakage.
** Product like S-Curl are great because they contain glycerin (a humectant) which draw moisture from the air.
** Don’t seal the hair after you have the moisturiser
** Don’t baggy everyday!

godiva
09-23-2011, 11:12 AM
I'll give a shot as well; sign me up :)

Iwanthealthyhair67
09-23-2011, 11:30 AM
I'll come with the rules etc...say Wednesday next week...

Nimi
09-23-2011, 01:35 PM
Count me in pls. I'll be ready with my kinky twists on 1st October.

luxe
09-23-2011, 01:41 PM
I'm also in.

jusstoya
09-23-2011, 04:45 PM
Sign me up plz

RosaVermelha
09-24-2011, 08:27 AM
Baggying is a staple of my regimen. Im in.

leentora
09-24-2011, 12:53 PM
I am have been in a challenge doing this throughout my transition. Since I got braids and I am using the sulpur oil I find that the GHE and the sulpur oil - seems to get not get along with 'me'. As the oils on my scalp runs down the back of my neck and it makes my neck slightly prickly. I am going to experiment first and see if I can prevent it ding that and I would like ti join my 100th challenge :p :D.

Iwanthealthyhair67
09-24-2011, 05:06 PM
let us know

ysm
09-24-2011, 06:49 PM
I want to try it, but I'm wearing braids now. I will probably take them out on or around Oct. 22. I will restart my steaming then. I used to do the baggy the night before I washed my hair. This is different as I won't have to wash it right afterwards. So if you'll allow, I'd like to participate but start after I take the braids out.

ysm
09-25-2011, 06:07 PM
I tried it last night. I lightly sprayed my scalp w/Motions Oil Moisturizing Hair Lotion mixed w/a little evoo, jojoba and jbco and massaged it in. I put on 2 shower caps and my silk scarf and went to bed. Not sure what it achieved except to sweat my hair out. When I used to do it, I'd saturate my hair and scalp w/oils.

Halibel
09-25-2011, 06:33 PM
I will join. Might as well since I been doing this for the longest time since becoming natural, lol. I would use a grocery bag over my hair when I go to bed to prevent all my oils, grease and water (extremely heavy handed) to soak into my pillow, and cause my face to break out. Lol. I didn't know it has benefits to it. Cool! :)

Nimi
09-26-2011, 01:11 AM
I will join. Might as well since I been doing this for the longest time since becoming natural, lol. I would use a grocery bag over my hair when I go to bed to prevent all my oils, grease and water (extremely heavy handed) to soak into my pillow, and cause my face to break out. Lol. I didn't know it has benefits to it. Cool! :)

That is also one of the reasons why I want to be doing it on a regular basis now. My pillows are always so soaked with oil and I'm suspecting that to be the cause of my constant break outs around my jaw area.

Iwanthealthyhair67
09-27-2011, 05:57 AM
wow you guys are really heavy handed...

ggirl
09-27-2011, 01:36 PM
I would like to join.

leentora
09-27-2011, 01:57 PM
That is also one of the reasons why I want to be doing it on a regular basis now. My pillows are always so soaked with oil and I'm suspecting that to be the cause of my constant break outs around my jaw area.

:eek: how do you apply your oil to your scalp?

leentora
09-27-2011, 01:58 PM
I am in I have figured out the best way to do the GHE with these braids in, I have experiment some for the past couple of days. I am in :).

Iwanthealthyhair67
09-27-2011, 02:24 PM
^^please share...I think someone else stopped by to say they'd join after they take the braids out, maybe they won't have to wait that long...

luxe
09-27-2011, 03:19 PM
^^please share...I think someone else stopped by to say they'd join after they take the braids out, maybe they won't have to wait that long...

I have waist length box braids and I gather may hair in a big bun at the top of my head and place a plastic grocery bag over it. I can sleep comfortably and my bag doesn't slip. I don't even tie my bag, just tuck and roll.

Nimi
09-27-2011, 04:06 PM
:eek: how do you apply your oil to your scalp?

I use an applicator bottle then massage my scalp. I have been known to be quite heavy handed. I've felt oil dripping down my neck while sitting at my desk at work before:D

I think it was a combination of the M&Sing and the Castor oil on my scalp. I've reduced the quantity of the products and will also be changing my pillowcases more often. I hope that helps with the break outs. I want my face back!!!:(

leentora
09-27-2011, 04:31 PM
I use an applicator bottle then massage my scalp. I have been known to be quite heavy handed. I've felt oil dripping down my neck while sitting at my desk at work before:D

I think it was a combination of the M&Sing and the Castor oil on my scalp. I've reduced the quantity of the products and will also be changing my pillowcases more often. I hope that helps with the break outs. I want my face back!!!:(

@ the bold LMAO too funny.

Lets try another approach, try pouring a small amount on a saucer and using your finer to apply directly to your scalp. This way you use less and you should not have anything dripping/running down your neck. The only time you may have anything down your neck and it will be minimal; is when you do the GHE, the heat from your scalp warm up the oil applied. At least it will be at home.

Halibel
09-27-2011, 10:31 PM
That is also one of the reasons why I want to be doing it on a regular basis now. My pillows are always so soaked with oil and I'm suspecting that to be the cause of my constant break outs around my jaw area.Y
yosh! That stuff is no joke on the pillow and face. :(

Nimi
09-27-2011, 11:12 PM
@ the bold LMAO too funny.

Lets try another approach, try pouring a small amount on a saucer and using your finer to apply directly to your scalp. This way you use less and you should not have anything dripping/running down your neck. The only time you may have anything down your neck and it will be minimal; is when you do the GHE, the heat from your scalp warm up the oil applied. At least it will be at home.

Girl, that was how I first started applying the oil. I was using my finger up until a couple of months ago. That was even more of a mess. Got oil on my clothes etc. What concerned me with that method was that most of the oil seemed to rub off on my hair before it even got to my scalp.

I think the applicator bottle makes it neater, but I need to know when to stop. I'm just overdoing it as usual...:rolleyes::o

godiva
09-28-2011, 05:31 AM

I've had this happen more often than not. I don't even apply oil to my scalp as often b/c of this, lol.

I did a trial run of the GHE method of just oiling my hair (lightly) and bundling up my head, and it went well. No itchy scalp, no stuffy nose, and it wasn't uncomfortable. :)

Iwanthealthyhair67
09-28-2011, 06:24 AM
I do what Leen suggested squeeze out enough to coat the sulfur 8 top use my finger tips to rub it into my salp or I use the applicator bottle and squeeze one to three small drops of the sulfur oil onto my part depending on the length of my part then rub it in with my fingers...either way I have no issues...besides I've got no JBCO or HCO left so I can't wait a drop of my sulfur oil....

Iwanthealthyhair67
09-28-2011, 06:31 AM
lastnight was the only night that I didn't experiment with GHE pefore the challenge ...my hair is so soft even my roots ....

Iwanthealthyhair67
09-28-2011, 06:46 AM
No need to post separate thread...Here are the rules below:

Iwanthealthyhair67
09-28-2011, 06:55 AM
Challenge begins Saturday October 1st through Saturday December 31, 2011.

You Will Need:

Plastic Bag/Saran Wrap/Plastic Cap
Head Scarf and or Bonnet
Any one or combination of Essential Oils

Rules:

Say whether you're natural, relaxed or other
Say what method you will be using; whether Baggy or Alternate between the two
Say how many times per week you'll be baggying or GHE'ing and what products you're planning to use.
Say whether you are using growth aids; e.g. oils or hair vitamins etc.,
Check in regularly
Drink lots of water....
Notes:
You must baggy/GHE (green house effect) at least 4 times per week. Overnight, while doing chores, hanging around the house, under a wig or whenever you can...

*Some people go up to a month w/o washing while on the GHE method, please do whatever is best for you.*

Length pictures are NOT necessary but are welcomed

Relaxed heads:
The GHE can cause some reversion…

~At the end of this challenge you would have retained length, increase moisture and experience hair growth~
To join:

1) Thank this post and I'll add your name to the list of participants.

Godiva
Nimi
Luxe
Jusstoya
RosaVermelha
Ysm?
Halibel
Ggirl
Leen
KeshaSharee

Iwanthealthyhair67
09-28-2011, 07:12 AM
1. Relaxed or Natural: Relaxed
2. Method: GHE
3. How Often: 3-4 times p/w
4. Products: Coconut Oil
5. Growth Aids: Sulfur Oil

godiva
09-28-2011, 07:18 AM
1. Say whether your natural or relaxed head Natural
2. Say what method you will be using; whether Baggy or Alternate between the two GHE method
3. Say any times per week you'll be baggying or GHE'ing and what products you're planning to use. 4/wk @ every other night
4. Say whether you are using growth aids; e.g. oils or hair vitamins etc. I oil my scalp usually on wash days, but that's about it

Good luck, everyone!

Nimi
09-28-2011, 08:20 AM
1. Say whether you're natural, relaxed or other: Texlaxed
2. Say what method you will be using; whether Baggy or Alternate between the two; Alternate btw the two
3. Say how many times per week you'll be baggying or GHE'ing and what products you're planning to use; 4-5 times p/w.
Alternate btw Moisturisers and Spritz.
4. Say whether you are using growth aids; e.g. oils or hair vitamins etc.,; Sulphur oil.

leentora
09-28-2011, 08:34 AM
1. Say whether you're natural, relaxed or other: Transitioning
2. Say what method you will be using; whether Baggy or Alternate between the two: GHE
3. Say how many times per week you'll be baggying or GHE'ing and what products you're planning to use.: 4 times p/w GHE, spritz braids with either water or AVJ
4. Say whether you are using growth aids; e.g. oils or hair vitamins etc.,: Sulpur Oil mix to scalp and Daily Supplements

Nimi
09-30-2011, 03:01 AM
Been doing the GHE every night this week and my hair comes out really soft in the morning. Luving it!

I thought I would feel uncomfortable having to wrap my hair in a grocery bag every night, but so far it hasn't been a problem. I hope it continues that way.

leentora
10-01-2011, 12:53 PM
1. Say whether you're natural, relaxed or other: Transitioning
2. Say what method you will be using; whether Baggy or Alternate between the two: GHE
3. Say how many times per week you'll be baggying or GHE'ing and what products you're planning to use.: 4 times p/w GHE, spritz braids with either water or AVJ
4. Say whether you are using growth aids; e.g. oils or hair vitamins etc.,: Sulpur Oil mix to scalp and Daily Supplements

Today the game begins :D with GHE, so I am starting with a clean scalp. I washed today with my PPO, coconut oil & shampoo mix and I then dilute some Aussie Moist and apply through braids. Air dry some.......,

I will be applying my Sulpur oil shortly and I will GHE overnight ;).

ggirl
10-01-2011, 01:02 PM
I'm in. When does it start?

leentora
10-01-2011, 01:07 PM
Challenge begins Saturday October 1st through Saturday December 31, 2011.

You Will Need:

Plastic Bag/Saran Wrap/Plastic Cap
Head Scarf and or Bonnet
Any one or combination of Essential Oils

Rules:

Say whether you're natural, relaxed or other
Say what method you will be using; whether Baggy or Alternate between the two
Say how many times per week you'll be baggying or GHE'ing and what products you're planning to use.
Say whether you are using growth aids; e.g. oils or hair vitamins etc.,
Check in regularly
Drink lots of water....
Notes:
You must baggy/GHE (green house effect) at least 4 times per week. Overnight, while doing chores, hanging around the house, under a wig or whenever you can...

*Some people go up to a month w/o washing while on the GHE method, please do whatever is best for you.*

Length pictures are NOT necessary but are welcomed

Relaxed heads:
The GHE can cause some reversion…

~At the end of this challenge you would have retained length, increase moisture and experience hair growth~
To join:

1) Thank this post and I'll add your name to the list of participants.

Godiva
Nimi
Luxe
Jusstoya
RosaVermelha
Ysm?
Halibel
Ggirl
Leen

^^^^ See all the details above, start date is today, you seem to be added to the challenge already by the challenge leader IWHH.

HTH :).

Nimi
10-01-2011, 03:33 PM
I got my kinky twists done today. I've oiled and massaged my scalp with the sulphur oil mix. I have also used my spritz on the twists and wrapped them up for the overnight GHE.

luxe
10-01-2011, 07:39 PM
1. Say whether you're natural, relaxed or other: Natural
3. Say how many times per week you'll be baggying or GHE'ing and what products you're planning to use.: 6 GHE, spritz (roots) braids with ACV every week.
4. Say whether you are using growth aids; e.g. oils or hair vitamins etc.,: Sulpur Oil Mix to scalp and Daily Supplements

Iwanthealthyhair67
10-01-2011, 08:31 PM
ggirl I already signed you up

Iwanthealthyhair67
10-01-2011, 08:38 PM
okay I'm ready my hair is clean washed it today....

leentora
10-02-2011, 02:33 PM
I GHE overnight last night (Oct 1st) with my sulpur oil, no GHE tonight (Oct 2nd). I GHE overnight Monday. I will report in then :).

ysm
10-02-2011, 05:31 PM
I'm in, but I won't start til after I take the braids out. They are loose in the back anyway and I don't want them to slip out until I'm ready to take them out.

godiva
10-03-2011, 05:36 AM
Did my first official GHE last night, applying oil only to my hair.

LilMissRed
10-03-2011, 07:12 AM
I did the GHE over the summer and liked the outcome.. but I doubt I'll do it over the colder months because my hair/scalp is usually damp when I wake up and I dont need/want to get sick

Good Luck ladies!

leentora
10-03-2011, 04:54 PM
Tonight is GHE night (October 3rd), applied sulpur oil earlier, I also spritz with AVJ and I throw on my shopping bag and a shower cap, then scarf and a bonnet.

I am done for the night until the morning :).

luxe
10-03-2011, 07:12 PM
Tonight is GHE night (October 3rd), applied sulpur oil earlier, I also spritz with AVJ and I throw on my shopping bag and a shower cap, then scarf and a bonnet.

I'm going to steal this. :)

leentora
10-03-2011, 07:34 PM
I'm going to steal this. :)

Hun you can steal whatever you want, glad I could help, I say spritz every other night or so as it contains high doses of Amino Acids and if you are protein sensitive than you may want to spread out the spritz application. Or Dilute it some with water or mix in with some hair moisturizer.

Thought I would make you aware of that factor :).

Iwanthealthyhair67
10-04-2011, 08:33 AM
sulfur oiled my scalp and GHe'ed last night but didn't generate too much moisture my technique was off...so I spritz for a damp bun

leentora
10-04-2011, 12:01 PM
sulfur oiled my scalp and GHe'ed last night but didn't generate too much moisture my technique was off...so I spritz for a damp bun

I would not spritz the scalp though, may create a smell from the sulpur. If you want more moisture trying using two grocery bag. What I do is a grocery bag and then a steam cap, scarf and bonnet. Girl I have to get up by 7am and remove all that as I can feel the heat walking about my scalp lol

godiva
10-04-2011, 01:56 PM
Hair was feeling a lil dry last night, so I lightly oiled and GHE'd. It was nice and damp this AM and more manageable.

Iwanthealthyhair67
10-04-2011, 02:09 PM
@Leen I was being lazy so I got poor results will make up tonight with my usual method to get more moisture...

Halibel
10-04-2011, 05:00 PM
late check in, lol

1. Natural
2. Baggy
3. During the week
4. Hair grease abd olive oil. Lol *shrug*
5. Multi-vit

Iwanthealthyhair67
10-05-2011, 07:35 AM
I did my thing last night...pulled back in a damp bun this morning a little sulfur oil on the sides

Nimi
10-06-2011, 12:39 AM
Oiled scalp with Sulphur mix and sprayed my twists with AVJ last night. I then wrapped it all up for an overnight GHE.

leentora
10-06-2011, 06:03 AM

I did sulpur oil and GHE two nights in row, (Oct 4th), I did not oil or GHE last night and I may not tonight either.

Iwanthealthyhair67
10-06-2011, 06:47 AM
So did I.....my hair is so soft

PurplePeony
10-06-2011, 09:20 AM
http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/ff258/truckthis/emoticons/lurksmiley.gif

RosaVermelha
10-06-2011, 12:47 PM
I've been lazy about posting. But I had slacked off on baggying because I was wash time and I kept getting busy and tired but I finally washed my hair. Wash night I baggied with two rinse conditioners and warm oil mixed in and rinsed in the morning. Last night I sprayed my hair with mostly water and a bit of rinse conditioner and some s-curl.

Iwanthealthyhair67
10-06-2011, 01:23 PM
@Leen what method are you using to detangle your hair after Ghe ing

Nimi
10-06-2011, 04:34 PM
I just spritzed my twists and wrapped them all up for the overnight GHE.

leentora
10-06-2011, 05:20 PM
@Leen what method are you using to detangle your hair after Ghe ing

My hair isn't out loose t the moment, I am in single braids for the next 7 weeks. When I use to GHE on loose hair, I usually have my hair in chunky twist r a bun, so detangling was not an issue comes wash day or styling.

Iwanthealthyhair67
10-06-2011, 06:33 PM
i
I'm getting too much hair in my comb I must do some tweaking

luxe
10-06-2011, 06:39 PM
i

Have you tried taking a garlic supplement?

leentora
10-06-2011, 06:40 PM
i

You may need to use a protein treatment a little more regular to combat the excess moisture.
I don't really have an issue with the excess moisture my natural texture that is coming in is thirsty as the fields as soon as I take of that bag it is dry and joking for more moisture :(.

godiva
10-06-2011, 07:29 PM
I'm wrapped up at this moment. More of a baggy than GHE as I cowashed, then M/S and braided before covering.

Nimi
10-07-2011, 04:10 AM
i
Do you comb your hair everyday?
What do you do to your hair before the GHE? Up until last weekend when my hair was loose after spritzing or moisturising my hair, I would put it away in 3 braids before tying the plastic bag. I did the GHE everyday and had no issues with excess mositure. My hair was really soft, but strong at the same time.

You may need some protein or maybe reduce the number of times each week you do the GHE.

godiva
10-07-2011, 05:43 AM
I'm wrapped up at this moment. More of a baggy than GHE as I cowashed, then M/S and braided before covering.

Too wet...had to take it down after an hour.

KeshaSharee
10-07-2011, 06:36 AM
Add me please! I used the baggy method last night just to try it out and I have done my hair a misjustice.

1. Say whether you're natural, relaxed or other Natural baby!!!
2. Say what method you will be using; whether Baggy or Alternate between the two Alternating
3. Say how many times per week you'll be baggying or GHE'ing and what products you're planning to use. Every other day. Baggy with Shea Moisture Thickening Milk and GHE with evoo, evco, jojoba, or shea butter (combination or alone).
4. Say whether you are using growth aids; e.g. oils or hair vitamins etc. Does castor oil count?

Iwanthealthyhair67
10-07-2011, 08:05 AM
ghe'd last ..think I'll do an oil rinse tomorrow

Iwanthealthyhair67
10-11-2011, 06:25 AM
ghe'd last night still tweaking but loving the soft ness think I will but my hair in four plaits instead of two

leentora
10-11-2011, 08:00 AM
I GHE Saturday ---> Sunday and Sunday Night----> Monday did GHE last night, may do it tonight, I have to get 5 in a week :).

Iwanthealthyhair67
10-11-2011, 09:32 AM
^^very ambitious aren't we

KeshaSharee
10-11-2011, 01:14 PM
I ghe'd last night after a co-wash. Used jojoba oil.

leentora
10-11-2011, 01:18 PM
^^very ambitious aren't we

I sure am, I have 5 more months before my transitioning is over, hoping for nice full head of healthy hair :).

Nimi
10-11-2011, 01:37 PM
Got my twists all wrapped up for my usual overnight GHE. Been doing this almost every since I got them done....So far all seems well...

Nimi
10-12-2011, 12:37 AM
As usual, the overnight GHE got my twists feeling really soft this morning....

godiva
10-12-2011, 05:52 AM
Still GHEing ~every other day. How often should we be checking in?

Iwanthealthyhair67
10-12-2011, 06:43 AM
^^ as often as you like

Iwanthealthyhair67
10-12-2011, 06:49 AM
as you guys know I have been having some issues with detangling in the mornings, well not this morning such a simple process that I should have done long ago but because I was being lazy I ended up with breakage...

Anway here's what I did; I braided my hair in five plaits followed through with the plastic bag and bonnet this morning no tangles.

Now I just need to pay special attention to my roots because I'm stretching the hair is more prone to tangles...I know I said I wasn't going to strecth anymore but I think I will give it another go...

leentora
10-12-2011, 06:58 AM
GHE last night until this morning, plus add sulpur oil to scalp.

luxe
10-12-2011, 08:55 AM
GHE the other night but not with my sulphur mix. I baggyed overnight with Hot Six Oil.

Nimi
10-13-2011, 08:48 AM
Is anyone else having to spritz/moisturise their hair/braids/twists a lot less because of this challenge? I have been GHE-ing almost everyday and I’ve stopped spritzing my twists everyday ‘cause there is still more then enough oil on my twists. Before I would have to spritz them everyday because a lot of the product got my scarf, but now that is not the case with the plastic bag.

Just out of habit I felt like spraying something on my twists last night so I switched to my AVJ spritz which only has a teeny weenie bit of Castor oil in it…

RosaVermelha
10-13-2011, 09:17 AM
I just put on the plastic cap with no additional products.

leentora
10-13-2011, 09:28 AM
GHE overnight last night with sulpur oil on scalp. Will ease off the GHE for a few days and then two my last two days by weekend.

godiva
10-13-2011, 10:26 AM
GHE'd my twists last night w/no product and felt like I was in moisture overload. I had to take the coverings off at about 3am. No need to moisturize or seal this morning.

Nimi
10-17-2011, 12:31 AM
After giving my hair a break from the GHE for a couple of days, I returned to overnight GHE-ing last night...

godiva
10-17-2011, 05:36 AM
Observation: as the temps drop outside (and my HVAC is off until it gets uncomfortable inside), my GHE sessions are producing more moisture.

Iwanthealthyhair67
10-17-2011, 06:29 AM
I about to get a relaxer so I will stop my last GHE was Friday wash day last night

leentora
10-17-2011, 07:45 AM
I about to get a relaxer so I will stop my last GHE was Friday wash day last night

Stop using the sulpur oil also!

Iwanthealthyhair67
10-17-2011, 10:18 AM
@Leen girl I am not crazy, my sulfur oil mix also has peppermint oil ...one week of that potent combo before a relaxer and I WILL be transitioning with scabbie scalp and a TWA.

leentora
10-17-2011, 10:56 AM
LOL I was just making sure that you remember and not cause any combustion on your scalp with the varying of chemicals :p

Iwanthealthyhair67
10-17-2011, 11:24 AM
lol, no chance, my scalp itching right now I should have left my hair dirty but I didn't want to take the chance with the build up from the sulfur was afraid of those two chemical reacting...

leentora
10-17-2011, 12:00 PM
You ever wonder why our scalp itch around the time we are due for a relaxer? I ave drawn my own conclusion, but what are your thoughts on it?

Iwanthealthyhair67
10-17-2011, 12:48 PM
you think its a mental thing

MzShai20
10-18-2011, 04:13 PM
I just came across this post and would like to join if it's not too late:
(my first official day was Oct 15,2011)

1. Say whether your natural or relaxed head: Texlaxed
2. Say what method you will be using; whether Baggy or Alternate between the two: GHE method
3. Say any times per week you'll be baggying or GHE'ing and what products you're planning to use. Every night (oil every other night w/jojoba,castor,evoo,evco,tea tree oils)
4. Say whether you are using growth aids; e.g. oils or hair vitamins etc. GNC HSN vitamin

godiva
10-19-2011, 06:08 AM
GHE'd last night (no products and it was like sleeping in a sauna. I hope I can keep this up.

Nimi
10-19-2011, 06:35 AM
Did the usual overnight GHE right after I oiled my scalp with the sulphur mixed and spritz with AVJ.

Iwanthealthyhair67
10-19-2011, 07:59 AM
Welcome!

It's never too late...

I just came across this post and would like to join if it's not too late:
(my first official day was Oct 15,2011)

1. Say whether your natural or relaxed head: Texlaxed
2. Say what method you will be using; whether Baggy or Alternate between the two: GHE method
3. Say any times per week you'll be baggying or GHE'ing and what products you're planning to use. Every night (oil every other night w/jojoba,castor,evoo,evco,tea tree oils)
4. Say whether you are using growth aids; e.g. oils or hair vitamins etc. GNC HSN vitamin

Iwanthealthyhair67
10-19-2011, 08:00 AM
Leen so what are your thoughts on the issue of itching scalp just before a relaxer?????

MzShai20
10-20-2011, 10:23 AM
This GHE day number 5 for me... My hair seems to be shedding quite a bit... Not breakage, but many long strands with the white bulb attached... Should I be worried?

Iwanthealthyhair67
10-20-2011, 01:06 PM
Garlic will combat the shedding; pills or garlic oil applied directly to the scalp as a prepoo then rinse off or garlic shampoo if you find that these methods do not work for you, you may want to stop especially if the shedding is more that what you are use to.

leentora
10-22-2011, 06:36 PM
I washed and DC my braids yesterday, so I am back on track. I apply my sulpur oil and I am GHE overnight.

ysm
10-23-2011, 09:31 PM
Took my braids out finally. Feels like somebody else's head! I'll be baggying later this week.

Iwanthealthyhair67
10-24-2011, 06:50 AM
I'll be starting up again tonight...just had a relaxer I might add that it didn't take too good to much scratching going on

leentora
10-24-2011, 03:10 PM
I apply my sulpur oil tonight and I have my grocery bag and shower cap on my head about to scarf it up and bonnet it up for the night as I will be GHE overnight :).

Nimi
10-25-2011, 03:03 AM
I did the overnight GHE and I'm also GHE-ing my ends right now at work. Got them wrapped up in a white plastic bag to match my top. I'm trying to keep the twists from soiling my clothes with oil.

godiva
10-25-2011, 05:45 AM
GHE'd on loosely twisted hair and woke up with tangles galore. :(

Iwanthealthyhair67
10-25-2011, 06:55 AM
^^I'm sorry to hear that

leentora
10-25-2011, 09:17 AM
GHE'd on loosely twisted hair and woke up with tangles galore. :(

Sorry about that Godiva, hope you are able to detangle with any real issues.

godiva
10-25-2011, 10:11 AM
Sorry about that Godiva, hope you are able to detangle with any real issues.

I didn't even attempt to detangle as I didn't have enough time for the work involved. I did 6 twists and even the ends knotted. :mad: I just pinned up my birdnest as best I could. I'll definitely be detangling and cowashing tonight.

leentora
10-25-2011, 10:32 AM
I didn't even attempt to detangle as I didn't have enough time for the work involved. I did 6 twists and even the ends knotted. :mad: I just pinned up my birdnest as best I could. I'll definitely be detangling and cowashing tonight.

:eek: Wow that does not sound good, I would have thought it would be nice and moist which would render taking down and detangling a breeze. Did you apply anything [product wise] to your hair? If so do you think that could be the culprit?

godiva
10-25-2011, 10:50 AM
:eek: Wow that does not sound good, I would have thought it would be nice and moist which would render taking down and detangling a breeze. Did you apply anything [product wise] to your hair? If so do you think that could be the culprit?

It was moist, just tangled. I haven't applied anything to my hair since yesterday morning (a lil SheaMoisture Curl Milk). I've GHE'd in a full head of twists as well as in a ponytail. Maybe the base was too loose??? But then I'm not sure why the ends knotted.

Iwanthealthyhair67
10-26-2011, 06:57 AM
^^weird was that the first time, did it happen again

godiva
10-26-2011, 07:31 AM
^^weird was that the first time, did it happen again

Yeah, it was the first time. I'll be trying it again tonight with my hair in a bun or ponytail.

Iwanthealthyhair67
10-26-2011, 10:27 AM
^^tell us how it goes

leentora
10-26-2011, 01:37 PM
Apply sulpur oil earlier and I also throw on a grocery bag plus two shower caps on top and scarf down. I will bonnet on over scarf before bed :).

RosaVermelha
10-26-2011, 02:45 PM
I've been lazy with it. I'm going to appky my oil/mn mix and then spritz with water ans s-curl.

godiva
10-27-2011, 06:42 AM
GHE'd last night with no product on my bunned hair. Moist with no tangles. I think the tension had a lot to do with it. The one time I GHE'd on loose hair, I cowashed the next morning, so I didn't think about it like that.

Iwanthealthyhair67
10-27-2011, 07:32 AM
no tangles ...great

leentora
10-27-2011, 09:05 AM
GHE'd last night with no product on my bunned hair. Moist with no tangles. I think the tension had a lot to do with it. The one time I GHE'd on loose hair, I cowashed the next morning, so I didn't think about it like that.

Yayyy great news, glad your experience was much better this time around :).

luxe
10-27-2011, 11:33 AM
Applied my Sulphur Mix and baggy this morning. Plan on keeping it on all day.

leentora
10-27-2011, 04:32 PM
GHE tonight not applying the sulpur oil though ;).

Iwanthealthyhair67
10-28-2011, 06:45 AM
did't do much last night ---will be prepping for my dc tomorrrw

Nimi
10-28-2011, 03:09 PM
I plan to GHE overnight after spraying my Twists with AVJ.

leentora
10-29-2011, 05:24 PM
Apply sulpur oil and GHE overnight :).

godiva
11-02-2011, 01:52 PM
Still GHEing. I did it last night on hair that was a few days overdue for a cleansing and woke up on the middle of the night with very moist hair and a VERY itchy scalp. I didn't think I would be able to get it to calm down so I could resume sleeping. Finally found my scalp massager (see pic) and went to town, actually fell asleep with the gadget in my hair. Needless to say I enjoyed the cowash immensely this morning. :D

KeshaSharee
11-04-2011, 07:34 AM
Going back in this thread to find out how to GHE with braids. Probably no different than normal loose hair. I plan on using either evco or vatika for the lemon (which I believe is a natural astringent?).

Iwanthealthyhair67
11-04-2011, 09:06 AM
I'm not doing this as much but I am doing the sulphur oil ...really loving that

leentora
11-04-2011, 09:27 AM
I have not done the GHE and the Sulpur application since Friday as I have taken down my single braids a month early. But I will start again on both either tonight or tomorrow.

leentora
11-06-2011, 07:08 PM
Apply sulpur oil to my scalp [moisturize and twist in small sections] + GHE overnight also.

RosaVermelha
11-06-2011, 07:49 PM
Ghe'd a couple nights ago with my MN and oil mix and I've gone back to baggying with water and s-curl. Tonight is wash night so I will start back tomorrow night.

leentora
11-10-2011, 07:59 PM
I will be doing the GHE overnight tonight, I have also applied my sulpur oil to my scalp and scritched.

RosaVermelha
11-10-2011, 10:58 PM
Baggying with s-curl and carefree curl activator.

Iwanthealthyhair67
11-11-2011, 06:23 AM
^^wow how did that turn out

RosaVermelha
11-11-2011, 09:44 AM
^^wow how did that turn out

My head was roasting and tingling nicely. My hair is nice and soft.

Nimi
12-01-2011, 05:56 AM
1 more month left in the challenge. I've been baggying & GHE'ing religiously. Especially since I took out my Twists. My is loving it plus my scarfs and pillow cases don't get oil/moisturiser on them like before...

Iwanthealthyhair67
12-01-2011, 11:58 AM
Ladies I'm sorry but I've fallen off the wagon...been experiencing some challenges with my hair so the GHE/Baggy challenge hasn't been as effective as I hoped for me...

Please continue I will be cheering you on from the sidelines....and I will check in regularly as you will have to post your results at the end of this month...

HHG

Missey
12-01-2011, 03:51 PM
When I went home for the weekend, people were tripping when I was scratching my hair and they were hearing the plastic bag. I can't tell you have many stares or comments I received. I didn't think it was odd, since I'm wearing a wig. I did try to refrain from scratching after that. I just got tired of the weird stares.

I've actually worn a plastic bag since last August 24/7 unless I'm washing my hair. I was apprehensive at first because I thought my hair would be over moisturized. I solved that by adding protein products to my conditioner and co-wash conditioner. I use to add holes to the bag, but I stopped. I found the baggy isn't really that tight, and plus, I get holes when I scratch. My hair isn't super wet. It is really just damp.

The baggy has really helped me with retention. In the 15 months that I've been in a baggy, my hair has never been mushy.

leentora
12-02-2011, 10:52 PM
I have not baggy/GHE in a few weeks, was being lazy and now I have a new set of braids in, I will start again soon hopefully I don't want my roots to start gettin puffy.

Halibel
12-05-2011, 01:40 AM
been lazy with my hair.......haven't baggied in a while. Bleh.......................................

leentora
01-10-2012, 07:28 PM
@IWHH, will there be another challenge for this, anytime this year?

Bodybutter
01-10-2012, 07:34 PM
Good reminder of baggy benefits. I started again on Sunday.

leentora
01-10-2012, 08:51 PM
Good reminder of baggy benefits. I started again on Sunday.

I was hoping another would start over for this year 2012!
I guess we can carry on from the old challenge :).

Iwanthealthyhair67
01-11-2012, 07:17 AM
good question I just may incorporate it into my regimen (ends only) but perhaps someone else would like to lead the challenge maybe Body Butter...

Veecoily
06-02-2012, 07:45 AM
So did any of you get good results while doing this challenge?
I have been doing the GHE for over a year and it increased my hair growth rate from 1/4 inch per 6 to 8 weeks to 3/4 inch. I started by starting a challenge on another board, and it was a real success. I started out doing the GHE 5 nights a week, now I only do it 3 nights since my moisture levels are regulated. Better yet my porous issues taken care of. This has helped a lot, I only have to apply moisturizer to my hair every 3 days. Love the GHE! It is a miracle worker for tightly coily hair. Plus its cheap and easy.

ysm
07-08-2012, 08:17 PM
Too hot to do this now. Will resume in Oct.

Iwanthealthyhair67
07-08-2012, 10:00 PM
That sounds good ....

Veecoily
07-08-2012, 10:20 PM
I am currently doing a 30 day GHE challenge, because this heat is drying out my hair. It is working. As long as I am under a air conditioner it is not problem....When I go out I use some grapeseed oil to protect my hair from the sun. This helps also.

RosaVermelha
07-09-2012, 07:07 AM
Too hot to do this now. Will resume in Oct.

Now is the best time. It's like a free steamer!

Iwanthealthyhair67
07-09-2012, 10:34 AM
I guess your right ...

ysm
08-10-2012, 07:45 AM
Now is the best time. It's like a free steamer!

everyday is a free steamer day. No AC, remember. When the weather gets a little cooler, I will resume doing the baggying.

RosaVermelha
08-10-2012, 09:14 AM
everyday is a free steamer day. No AC, remember. When the weather gets a little cooler, I will resume doing the baggying.

And NY has become southern Fl all of a sudden.

Veecoily
08-10-2012, 11:24 AM
The GHE doubled my normal hair growth rate, the first year I started doing it.

ysm
08-11-2012, 06:32 AM
And NY has become southern Fl all of a sudden.

Tell me about it! It's so humid even when it's in the 70s.

ysm
09-21-2012, 12:36 AM
Doing the bagging now. It's cool enough.