View Full Version : Breakage at nape of neck

Carolinagirl_22
08-21-2008, 01:12 PM
Hello all...new to site. I have relaxed and color treated hair and truly take care of it..unfortunately as of late I have experienced a lot of breakake at the nape of my neck:confused: Dont know why this is happening. My lenghth is mostly in the middle of my head and generally a lil shorter around the edges..does anyone else have this problem or know how to help with this. All advice appreciated

leentora
08-22-2008, 07:20 AM
Hi and Welcome to BHP Carolinagirl 22, Mmm are you treating the hair? relaxed hair needs 2 things more than anything else (a). Moisture / DC & (b). Protein.

So maybe the hair is lack one or both of the following.

Try getting a a protein treatment followed by a DC treatment, and see how it goes from there.

Carolinagirl_22
08-22-2008, 07:31 AM
Yea.. but I was blowing my hair out daily for a while guess that did some damage. I use motions protein moisturizer as a deep conditioner. I wasnt reguarly monitoring my hair regimine but I see that I need to or else I will lose all my hair! I am gonna try some of the stuff I see if this doesnt stop the breakage. Thx:)

leentora
08-22-2008, 08:00 AM
Are you only using motions, what other hair products do you use as a treatment? DC with a steam cap + under a hooded air dryer I find and other ladies find to be super.

Ease off the blow dryinf everyday, that is definately an issue, air dry is better, its is better to use indirect heat.

oh shooot did you say motions protein moisturizer? - I have and it is a PROTEIN Treatment - Is that all you use? I just decide to read again your post again, I think that may be the issue as you could be seeing the results of protein overload, there is a a post/thread on here about protein overload -heair needs more moisture than protein - and they both need to be in balance.

I will find the link and come back.

Carolinagirl_22
08-22-2008, 09:20 AM
no thats not all I use...but I do use it the most I don't keep a log of all products nor was I actually looking at the ingredients..but since I joined I have definitely been doing that and had to give away alot of stuff:mad:(to those less concerned than I..LOL) but right now I am using Dove shampoo and conditioner but only bc I am a brand junkie. I use the the soap, body wash, lotion, deodorant, shampoo, conditioner bc they all have the same scent.. It actually makes my hair really soft and the conditioner is really good. But I need to find a good moisturizer. I shampo'd 1x time with last night, and 2x with the conditioner, then I deep conditioned with the motions for like 45 min w/cap under dryer, then put a lil oil and avocado setting foam and roller set my hair. I'm gonna do that again in like 3-4 days and see if this helps the breakage any..

PICSU
09-12-2008, 01:25 PM
Hello

You should babying your hair also you can start using some growth aids.

Use shampoo that don't contain sulfate.

Good luck.

Carolinagirl_22
09-12-2008, 02:00 PM
Thanks, but I am scared to use anything internally just for growth aids! I am not a pill person if you were talking about pills. I don't even take medicine when I'm sick unless its really bad.

Pharoahs_Angel
09-12-2008, 02:23 PM
A few of my friends cornrowed the nape of their neck & my cousin...when her edges break. She gives her hair a break by flat twisting her whole head up into a bun, minus her bangs.
This happens to me sometimes but, for me it's an issue of not wearing a scarf to bed. The areas you sleep on the most wear thinner than the rest of your hair.

Jacqueline
09-13-2008, 01:10 AM
Are you wearing your hair in one (like a bun or pony tail)? It could be causing the edges of your hair, if already weak, to break. Also, is the relaxer being washed out of your hair, and neutralized thoroughly at the back of your head. That could also be a factor. Now if you're trying to grow it back, take a great multivitamain like the Vitality Pack .... It is the most absorbable supplement on the market. And like pills or not, your body does not produce the nutrition you need and we're not getting it from the food. Remember, if you're not getting enough nutrition, the body has it's priorities... the vital organs first, and hair is not a vital organ. Crush the vitamins and take them daily... You know what they say "Beauty bears not pain".:D

Carolinagirl_22
09-13-2008, 11:17 AM
Ok braiding the hair at the nape of the neck sounds like a good idea.. I will have to work really hard on the vitamins thing.. I know that they're good for me.

The Anti Hair Slave
09-13-2008, 05:55 PM
Stop with the daily heat and baby the area. The nape area is my problem area as well, it's just not as strong as the rest of my hair.

Pebbles
09-13-2008, 09:12 PM
Hello all...new to site. I have relaxed and color treated hair and truly take care of it..

Relaxers + color + I'm guessing curling irons..... does not equal truly taking care of your hair. That is just my opinion...coming from a napptural.

Carolinagirl_22
09-14-2008, 01:53 PM
Relaxers + color + I'm guessing curling irons..... does not equal truly taking care of your hair. That is just my opinion...coming from a napptural.
nah I don't even own curling iron.. the only devices that I own that emit heat for my hair is my flat iron and its ceramic and my blow-dryer... I only used the blow-dryer when I am flipping my hair out Farrah style.. and since I re-colored my hair I haven't been doing it at all..I'm thinking that maybe I wrap my hair too tight or something because its like a good 4-5 in difference in my hair!:confused: I haven't put any heat on it in about a month so, besides when I get my roller-sets once a week and I always DC first.

maria_l_webba@georgiasout
10-08-2008, 09:03 PM
This is my exact problem! My hair is always shorter at the back ofmy head and a little on the side. I think it's becasue I don't moisturize.

Sunshyne
10-09-2008, 10:18 AM
I've heard of ladies braiding the nape area so that it stays protected. I agree with the other ladies, be very gentle with that area, massage it with oil nighly for more stimulation to promote hair growth. Make sure it stays moist because dry hair can cause a lot of breakage. Check out my blog post on Thinning Edges. (http://hairlicious.blogspot.com/2008/09/hair-question-how-to-treat-thinning.html) This may help. I know this is a problem of the nape but it can still be applied.

Dividir
10-13-2008, 07:47 PM
Stop with the daily heat and baby the area. The nape area is my problem area as well, it's just not as strong as the rest of my hair.

that is exactly what I would do. maybe moisturise it twice as much as you do the rest of your hair

Mahalialee4
11-28-2008, 01:01 AM
I have read that some ladies who were experiencing regular nape breakage, were getting their hair relaxed at salons where they did not clean the relaxer completely off the shampoo bowl where the neck area was resting an even tho the hair was getting rinsed and neutralized, there was residue of relaxer on the bowls and on the "capes". Salons often just hang their capes to dry instead of shampooing and then use it on another client. This is especially risky when the salons are in some ones home or the salons are really busy. Hope this helps.

kita
11-28-2008, 06:20 AM
I have read that some ladies who were experiencing regular nape breakage, were getting their hair relaxed at salons where they did not clean the relaxer completely off the shampoo bowl where the neck area was resting an even tho the hair was getting rinsed and neutralized, there was residue of relaxer on the bowls and on the "capes". Salons often just hang their capes to dry instead of shampooing and then use it on another client. This is especially risky when the salons are in some ones home or the salons are really busy. Hope this helps.

Bingo, I thought the same thing. Relaxer resude will break the hair and that is the most common problem with breakage in that area.

Carolinagirl_22
12-01-2008, 07:13 AM
hmmmm that maybe what was wrong...well I haven't been to a salon in about 3 mos now... can't trust it. Thats really scary...I believe that. It has been getting better, I will take some pics now and then again in like March and see how it goes.

bwell2u
12-01-2008, 07:40 AM
If you're against vitamins, just make sure you have a well balanced diet and you're drinking plenty of water. How long are you waiting between your relaxer and color services? You may want to just do the relaxer. You could use a semi or demi permanent color until your edges are healthy.

Carolinagirl_22
12-01-2008, 09:54 AM
If you're against vitamins, just make sure you have a well balanced diet and you're drinking plenty of water. How long are you waiting between your relaxer and color services? You may want to just do the relaxer. You could use a semi or demi permanent color until your edges are healthy.

It's not that against them per say but I just will start and then forget to take them:D...I only drink water and real 100% juice...I usually go like 8-10 wks before I relax, and haven't used color in a min..I just put a rinse in but that didn't do much. I just did it to tone down the color because it was making my hair too weak. I have dedicated more time to this so I can be consistent w/my hair so its doing great now!

angelstrawberry
12-11-2008, 07:45 PM
i had a problem with my nape for a long time. It was balding and i used dr.miracles stimulating gro oil and it helped a lot. I think my hair may have broken off because i would wear half wigs with the combs and the combs would pull on my hair, maybe that's why. But my hair continued to be damaged for a long time after i stopped. my hair is now finally getting length there, i think this is because now i moisturize a lot and deep condition. I basically try to leave it alone and don't put stress on it.

munchy
12-12-2008, 06:01 AM
Yeah, Dr. Miracles hair oils and creme conditions are really good, on my hair persay! So if any hasn't tried it, try and get a sample, cause the stuff works.

HairObsessed
12-14-2008, 07:53 PM
Hello all...new to site. I have relaxed and color treated hair and truly take care of it..unfortunately as of late I have experienced a lot of breakake at the nape of my neck:confused: Dont know why this is happening. My lenghth is mostly in the middle of my head and generally a lil shorter around the edges..does anyone else have this problem or know how to help with this. All advice appreciated

OK, I have the same problem!!! Well, I wrap my hair at night with a silk scarf... I think much of the breakage is when the scarf slips and rubs on the pillow. I try to faithfully use a satin pillow. I put a small pea size of Salerm B 21 on the nape and some Amla oil on it before I put the scarf on. This has helped bigtime.

Dior
01-04-2009, 08:45 AM
I have the same issue Lay off the protein - I at the moment have protein overload and my hair is snapping so next week I will just stick to moisturisers and DC to get my hair back to normal.

ladylpk74
03-26-2009, 09:32 AM
I'm having severe breakage in the nape of my head. The rest of my hair is healthy and hangs about two inches past my shoulders, but the nape seems to keep breaking off. I have absolutely no length there. I wrap my relaxed hair and tie a satin scarf around it every night. Could this be the problem? I try not to tie it too tight, but every morning I wake up I feel my scalp tingling back there. Any suggestions?

nothingucantdo
04-21-2009, 02:15 PM
Hey, I use satin pillow that really works. I used to have that problem at the back of my neck...especially in the winter. pillowpleasures . com I have red. It really works.

nothingucantdo
04-21-2009, 02:18 PM
I use a pillowpleasures satin pillow.... I bought it at pillowpleasures .com

tessa
04-23-2009, 02:08 PM
I used to have a lot of breakage at the nape of my neck and it decreased a bit when I stopped wrapping my hair. It ended entirely when I stopped going to the salon and started self-relaxing. I suspect that it had to do with improper neutralization at the salon or the use of a too harsh relaxer (possibly both). My scalp was always on fire and she used to get my hair bone straight every time. I had no idea what I was subjecting myself to.

bloempie19
06-03-2009, 06:58 AM
I have the same issue Lay off the protein - I at the moment have protein overload and my hair is snapping so next week I will just stick to moisturisers and DC to get my hair back to normal.

Hi,
How long did it take you to get yours hair back to normal

lele35
06-06-2009, 11:31 PM
Can anyone suggest a good product for moisture?

lele35
06-06-2009, 11:39 PM
OK, I have the same problem!!! Well, I wrap my hair at night with a silk scarf... I think much of the breakage is when the scarf slips and rubs on the pillow. I try to faithfully use a satin pillow. I put a small pea size of Salerm B 21 on the nape and some Amla oil on it before I put the scarf on. This has helped bigtime.
where would I find the Alma oil and the other oil you stated?

babybooj
07-04-2010, 02:29 PM
I have that promise too!

debeg
08-30-2010, 03:39 PM
Hi Carolonagirl. I'm having the same problem. I get this really bad itching and then my hair starts to break off really bad. I too am searching for a solution to this problem.

Jenka
08-31-2010, 12:16 PM
hey. i have also had a problem with nape breakage in the past...
i stopped flat ironing my hair, kept it moisturized with some water-based leave-in conditioning cream or spray, and used carrot oil on my scalp (along with a good massage) to promote hair regrowth.
but i also dont pull my hair tightly into styles and tend to just leave the area alone. i find hair likes to just be left to its own devices. hope that helps :)

Brendita
08-31-2010, 01:44 PM
Moisture and conditioning are key, as everyone has already said. I don't know if this was addressed (I tried to read each response): Friction from your blouse's collar, suit jacket collar or coat collar in winter can cause breakage in that area. You should always use a silk or satin scarf over any rough collars to stop the friction that causes breakage.

This is especially important in the winter when wearing wooly coats and hats. Drape a silky scarf over the collar of your coat to act as a barrier in between hair/collar. Hats should be lined with silk or satin OR you should wear a satin scarf over your hair before putting your hat on.

debeg
09-02-2010, 09:02 AM
Hi ladies, I'm new to this site, but I'm also having the same problem as Carolinagirl 22. My hair is relaxed (not colored) and the breaking at the nape of the neck has gotten out of control. I heard someone mention ponytails and buns. I can't wear a ponytail because my hair has fallen out so much the back can't be pulled together to make the ponytail. Lately I've been using ION products from Sally's. Not really helping. Can you ladies give me some helpful hints?

Carolinagirl_22
09-02-2010, 09:07 AM
UPDATE::Sorry so long to give an update but my hair is doing great! I no longer have this issue. I really just started moisturizing like crazy day and night and doing protective bun and its grown out 3-4 inches. I just use Organics Olive Oil moisturizer (My fave) or my kids beautiful beginning moisturizer if I run out. The only issue is that the Organics has more water water and this makes my natural hair revert if I use more than a dab.

debeg
09-02-2010, 09:07 AM
Hi ladies, I'm new to this site, but I'm also having the same problem as Carolinagirl 22. My hair is relaxed (not colored) and the breaking at the nape of the neck has gotten out of control. I heard someone mention ponytails and buns. I can't wear a ponytail because my hair has fallen out so much the back can't be pulled together to make the ponytail. Lately I've been using ION products from Sally's. Not really helping. Can you ladies give me some helpful hints?

StL Princess
09-03-2010, 11:32 AM
castol oil has helped i started to use it to fill in my broken edges but its really grown the hair at my nape as well