View Full Version : Air Drying Relaxed Hair?

Eelite
07-07-2011, 07:19 PM
My friend told me that air drying relaxed hair causes breakage. Can air drying relaxed hair really cause breakage? Maybe someone knows and can clarify this for me. What's your experience with your relaxed hair?

Eelite
07-07-2011, 07:21 PM
Can air drying relaxed hair cause breakage?

CreoleHonee91
07-07-2011, 07:24 PM
idk how it would be possible...what exactly does your friend do to her hair while it is "air drying"? it could be the way she is combing or managing it thats causing this breakage

when i used to relax my hair i air dried 80% of the time and no problems for me

Eelite
07-07-2011, 08:54 PM
idk how it would be possible...what exactly does your friend do to her hair while it is "air drying"? it could be the way she is combing or managing it thats causing this breakage

when i used to relax my hair i air dried 80% of the time and no problems for me
That's what I thought, because when I air dry my hair does well.

denalove
07-07-2011, 09:55 PM
I guess it could cause breakage, if you're doing it all wrong, but not for me. For one, if I airdry I only half airdry as creolehonee said, to cut back on drying time.
But what I suggest is to use a good Leave in conditioner, detangle well while it's wet with a big tooth comb or shower comb, being cautious because relaxed hair is delicate. Part into sections and plait or twist.

It's all about less manipulation, handling carefully, and using good products..if so you should be fine.

denalove
07-07-2011, 10:00 PM
I merged the other thread with this one, same question.

jusstoya
07-07-2011, 10:48 PM
I air dry with no problems.

SHIRO
07-08-2011, 02:11 AM
if i air dry my hair,it becomes too frizzy i could pick out an afro.so it tangles and this could of course lead to breakage.

Jenka
07-08-2011, 09:02 AM
i used to have issues with air-drying but it turned out that the issue i was having had more to do with my moisture/protein balance, the air-drying caused my hair to be over-conditioned (my regimen consists of mostly moisture because my hair is protein sensitive, so the air-drying tipped the balance of my hair to too much moisture). this happened like 2 years ago, now that i'm more careful about adding a little extra protein to my hair while air-drying, and also twisting my hair while it's still damp to ensure that my hair doesn't get frizzy or unmanageable, my hair has suffered very little, if any damage from air-drying :). HTH

PrincessRN
07-08-2011, 07:49 PM
I air dry with no problems.

Ditto!! I have never had any problems air drying and I do it most of the time.

Eelite
07-08-2011, 07:57 PM
I merged the other thread with this one, same question.
I was just trying to get this question answered, because its been bugging me for while.

Eelite
07-08-2011, 08:05 PM
i used to have issues with air-drying but it turned out that the issue i was having had more to do with my moisture/protein balance, the air-drying caused my hair to be over-conditioned (my regimen consists of mostly moisture because my hair is protein sensitive, so the air-drying tipped the balance of my hair to too much moisture). this happened like 2 years ago, now that i'm more careful about adding a little extra protein to my hair while air-drying, and also twisting my hair while it's still damp to ensure that my hair doesn't get frizzy or unmanageable, my hair has suffered very little, if any damage from air-drying :). HTH
That's what I thought, because that's less heat damage. Even my hairstylist made this statement as well. So I had to ask you all for your opinions.

jamesguides
07-27-2011, 09:21 AM
Choose the right shampoo, using a water-rich, dangles hair without stripping it clean of all natural oils. Also - do not over shampoo to remove the hair of moisture. Hair no more often than every week and a half weeks. The shampoo only once, not twice.

evanny
07-27-2011, 10:12 AM
I only air dry, that's what my mom did since I was little so when I became relaxed it stuck with me. I would think that using the blow dryer everytime you wash your hair would cause breakage. I've never had issues with air drying. Although, I have learned to layer my leave ins and that has helped with an increase of smoothness when air drying my hair.

Sadonna22
08-05-2011, 04:56 PM
My hair does seem to break off when I air dry. I usually braid my hair up when I let it air dry. That way it has a little crinkle curl to it in the morning when I unbraid it. I have noticed however that more often than not it becomes slightly frizzy, more than I like and am used too, and it sheds a lot more. Any suggestions ladies, I am kind of thinking of transitioning but am worried that my hair may break off/shed like when I air dry with a relaxer.

Brendita
08-06-2011, 08:38 AM
My hair does seem to break off when I air dry. I usually braid my hair up when I let it air dry. That way it has a little crinkle curl to it in the morning when I unbraid it. I have noticed however that more often than not it becomes slightly frizzy, more than I like and am used too, and it sheds a lot more. Any suggestions ladies, I am kind of thinking of transitioning but am worried that my hair may break off/shed like when I air dry with a relaxer.

I think your hair is in need of moisture. A LOT of moisture. Do you deep condition? You should! Try using a moisture rich deep conditioner once a week. You should probably stay away from any deep conditioners that have protien, though, because that might cause more breakage.

Before braiding your hair (for air drying) apply a good, rich leave in moisturizer, preferably with some oils in it. If it doesn't have oils, you can add your own (olive, sweet almond, jojoba).

Or, you can make your own leave in with a chemical free, all natural rinse out-type conditioner (the kind you use after you shampoo). You want to make sure it's chemical free because some preservatives are not intended to be left in the hair for long periods of time. Add 2 tablespoons of extra virgin, cold pressed olive oil to about 8 ounces of this conditioner, shake it up and use it as a leave in.

Good luck with your healthy hair journey & (possible) transition :)!

Eelite
08-08-2011, 01:18 PM
Although, this week when I air dried, I applied Moroccanoil and it made a difference. I also deep conditioned with Proclaim Intense Hydrating Masque. This really moisturised my hair; I noticed minimal hair breakage this time around. I'm going to stay away from protein for a while. This week I'm going to purchase the whole Moroccanoil line. I will use protein the week before my relaxer.

Brendita
08-08-2011, 02:59 PM
I noticed minimal hair breakage this time around.

GREAT! Congratulations:)!
I will use protein the week before my relaxer.

What about your possible transition? :confused:No more plans for that...:(

Iwanthealthyhair67
08-08-2011, 03:39 PM
I think I want to begin airdrying my hair any special methods I should try...

Brendita
08-09-2011, 08:35 AM

How about two stranded twists or bantu knots? Or, you could just add a leave-in and let it dry on it's own... see how it turns out.

Iwanthealthyhair67
08-09-2011, 09:02 AM
thanks, I forgot to mention that I'm relaxed...

Brendita
08-09-2011, 10:02 AM
thanks, I forgot to mention that I'm relaxed...

I figured that you were (because of the subject of the thread). You can still try those options... just for a change, you know?

evanny
08-09-2011, 12:25 PM

Layering your leave ins will help a GREAT deal. Never air dry without something in your hair. That's what I learned and it changed a lot for me. I've always only air dried my hair, as far back as I can remember. My mother didn't let us use heat in our hair, she had to do it and she rarely did it. I apply my leave in conditioner, then a light oil, and then a serum. My hair is always soft and smooth when I do it this way with very little to no breakage.

I guess I never realized that air-drying was such a problem for some relaxed ladies. I've been air-drying forever without problems. I was natural until 17, transitioned back to natural and started fully relaxing my hair around 22. I've never had a problem. :confused:

Iwanthealthyhair67
08-09-2011, 02:46 PM
^^I tried this before by just leaving it out but the ends tend to get hard to manage and looks almost natural then I'd remedy by running a warm blow dryer through and hot curl, but now I want to avoid heat all together...

evanny
08-09-2011, 08:31 PM
^^I tried this before by just leaving it out but the ends tend to get hard to manage and looks almost natural then I'd remedy by running a warm blow dryer through and hot curl, but now I want to avoid heat all together...
I'd try air-drying in twists or in braids like a previous poster suggested. That may help out with the ends.

Iwanthealthyhair67
08-10-2011, 09:01 AM
I braided it ...it turned out okay it was getting late and I was feeling lazy and forgot to add a leave in so basically I didn't prepare my hair for air drying ...but I will definitely air dry again and spend the extra time needed on my hair to get better results

Eelite
08-10-2011, 01:40 PM
GREAT! Congratulations:)!

What about your possible transition? :confused:No more plans for that...:(
No transitioning anytime soon.

evanny
08-10-2011, 01:49 PM
No transitioning anytime soon.

Yay!! You're staying on our side! :D LOL!!

Brendita
08-11-2011, 01:01 PM

You're FUNNY! :D

Eelite
08-11-2011, 05:27 PM
Yes, because I was able to get a hold of the Moroccanoil treatment and it made my hair soft and convinient to air dry with it. Why do you think I kept asking about the knock-off Proclaim Intense Hydrating Masque at Sally's? My hair feels awesome after using it for three weeks straight. Now I'm going to be purchasing the whole Moroccanoil line, because my relaxed hair loves it. My hair is manageable and soft without breakage. Thanks, Evanny!

Eelite
08-11-2011, 05:28 PM
All my hair needed was more moisture.

evanny
08-13-2011, 02:11 AM
Yes, because I was able to get a hold of the Moroccanoil treatment and it made my hair soft and convinient to air dry with it. Why do you think I kept asking about the knock-off Proclaim Intense Hydrating Masque at Sally's? My hair feels awesome after using it for three weeks straight. Now I'm going to be purchasing the whole Moroccanoil line, because my relaxed hair loves it. My hair is manageable and soft without breakage. Thanks, Evanny!

You are so welcome! I'm going to buy more tomorrow myself. ;)

Lelita
10-09-2011, 05:06 PM
I love the freedom of air drying. I just make sure I wash my hair in the early evening to give it time to dry overnight. I usually sit under the dryer a maximum of thirty minutes to seal the style...For those of you who relax your hair at home.....what are the best home perm product out there, I currently use Vitale, I actually like it but I'm open to suggestions. I want to give my hair the best possible care at home.....

evanny
10-09-2011, 11:55 PM
I love the freedom of air drying. I just make sure I wash my hair in the early evening to give it time to dry overnight. I usually sit under the dryer a maximum of thirty minutes to seal the style...For those of you who relax your hair at home.....what are the best home perm product out there, I currently use Vitale, I actually like it but I'm open to suggestions. I want to give my hair the best possible care at home.....

I personally love the Silk Elements with olive oil relaxer. There are a lot of ladies who love ORS. Personally, my hair hated it, but it's the rave all over the heair boards.

mendosa
10-16-2011, 11:38 PM
one of my friends had faced that while she was drying,his hair gets breakage.and finally it leads to thinning of hair.so after it she never dry his hair.
Did any one faced this problem.

evanny
10-17-2011, 08:43 PM
one of my friends had faced that while she was drying,his hair gets breakage.and finally it leads to thinning of hair.so after it she never dry his hair.
Did any one faced this problem.

Was your friend using a blow dryer?

pamela7777
10-20-2011, 08:39 AM
I don't know how yall air dry your hair, when i try which i have many of times. My hair comes out so dry and breaks off.

Poopiedo
10-20-2011, 07:36 PM
I don't know how yall air dry your hair, when i try which i have many of times. My hair comes out so dry and breaks off.

Do you tie your hair down with a scarf or are you letting it hang dry?
Also do you apply light oils to your hair?

PrincessRN
10-20-2011, 09:23 PM

Are you using a leave-in conditioner?

evanny
10-21-2011, 08:33 AM
Exactly, air drying hair without product isn't recommended. I always airdry with my leave in conditioner and a light application of oil in my hair. After it's 100% dry, I moisturize and seal. They key to air drying is finding the products that will work good with your hair (moisturize it well).

pamela7777
10-24-2011, 06:25 PM
I apply kemi oil to my hair and i tie it down with my scarf but comes out greasy and dry does not work at all. I think maybe I might be putting too much product in my hair i don't know.

evanny
10-25-2011, 12:13 AM
I apply kemi oil to my hair and i tie it down with my scarf but comes out greasy and dry does not work at all. I think maybe I might be putting too much product in my hair i don't know.

Is the kemi oil the only thing you're applying? Try a leave in and them a little oil. The problem may be that too much is being applied and that's what's causing the greasiness. A good leave in conditioner will help to combat the dryness.

Eelite
11-04-2011, 08:05 PM
Well, I'm glad to say that my hair doesn't break anymore since I've been applying argan oil to air dry.

BlueVision
12-18-2011, 11:46 AM
When I air dry my relaxed after applying a moisturizing leave-in, It would come silky and not frizzy.