View Full Version : will flat ironing your hair 1-2 times a week kill you hair?

spraypaint
05-29-2011, 08:54 AM
i mean with the right conditioners ans stuff
will it fry you hair?

like this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rfjvp6Dw5ew
http://youtu.be/Gui7Uex6oSk

rubygirl
05-29-2011, 10:12 AM
I flat iron my hair once a week... and I don't have any problem with it. I think you'll only have problems if you don't take care of it right...

naomimaxine927
05-29-2011, 12:04 PM
I think twice a week is a bit excessive, especially if you are already relaxed. I'm sure if heat protectant is used it will be okay, but doing it that often does not guarantee that some heat damage will occur.

spraypaint
05-29-2011, 12:37 PM
I think twice a week is a bit excessive, especially if you are already relaxed. I'm sure if heat protectant is used it will be okay, but doing it that often does not guarantee that some heat damage will occur.

what if you don't have it relaxed?

naomimaxine927
05-29-2011, 02:14 PM
what if you don't have it relaxed?

Either way, as long as you use heat protectant you should be okay, also as long as it is not a really high temperature. I don't recommend doing it twice a week though.

Saunta2
05-29-2011, 05:42 PM
I personally wouldn't recommend more than every other week. When I was a kid my mum would press my hair every other week and I had absolutely no hair problems. When I flat iron my I do it either once a month or every other week and try not to do touch-ups in between.

But twice a week is definitely too much.

miZZPortah
05-29-2011, 08:37 PM
i think twice a week is a bit much as well. once a week or once every other week should be good enough. if you straighten your hair correctly one time and then wrap it every nite to maintain the style there shouldn't be a need to straighten it anymore unless you sweat excessively which in that case i would just wear my hair curly for the most part.

Halibel
05-30-2011, 01:27 PM
The most I've dared doing was once a week, relaxed.

BMSby1
06-02-2011, 04:13 PM
eventually you're going to start noticing breakage........

Treece
06-08-2011, 12:25 PM
I agree with MizzPortah. I'm natural and got my hair flat-ironed last Wednesday and it's still holding up well. Even when relaxed I was usually god with flat ironing once every other week. Wrap it up, and stay out of the rain, you'll be fine.

rene9
09-13-2011, 06:55 PM
I'm relaxed and I flat-iron almost daily with a heat protector. I am trying to find an alternative as my hair grows through this stage :rolleyes:

naomimaxine927
09-13-2011, 07:19 PM
I'm relaxed and I flat-iron almost daily with a heat protector. I am trying to find an alternative as my hair grows through this stage :rolleyes:

Hey Rene. May I ask what the need to use heat everyday is for? Although you're using heat protectant, it really isn't healthy do use it daily.

myglamfetish
09-15-2011, 04:43 PM
I agree.....once a week should probably be the most you want to apply heat.