View Full Version : What is the difference Texturizer Vs. Relaxer?

NeedMyHairBack
08-18-2008, 01:04 AM
Tell me the difference. Can anyone.
Also if you have permed your hair before can you texturize your hair?:eek:

Dividir
08-18-2008, 02:25 AM
I voted texurtizer... I've never done it to my hair.
I believe the texturiser is just a milder version of a relaxer, as I believe they are both sodium hydroxide (or lithium for "professionals").... whereas a jheri curl is aluminium hydroxide. Dont mix a jheri with a normal relaxer... your hair will probably break

jasnian0313
08-18-2008, 07:23 AM
i agree w. u dividir...thats y i voted for texturizer as well

CREODiiVA
08-18-2008, 09:50 AM
I wish I would have got a texturizer Instead Now ...

Milyrah
08-18-2008, 11:49 AM
Don't be fooled, a texturizer is just a weak perm. It's meant to stay in half the time of a relaxer. If you leave it in too long you will have straight hair. To answer the question that needmyhairback asked, you can not texturize straight hair, only new growth(virgin hair). The purpose of the texturizer is to slowly straighten the coils in your natural hair. No curls, not straighten, get it?

CREODiiVA
08-18-2008, 03:26 PM
Don't be fooled, a texturizer is just a weak perm. It's meant to stay in half the time of a relaxer. If you leave it in too long you will have straight hair. To answer the question that needmyhairback asked, you can not texturize straight hair, only new growth(virgin hair). The purpose of the texturizer is to slowly straighten the coils in your natural hair. No curls, not straighten, get it?

I Have a Tight Curl Pattern ..If I Were to get a texturizer Later on In the process It would basically Just make my Pattern Alittle Bit More managable Right?

The Anti Hair Slave
08-18-2008, 03:26 PM
I think they both are about the same as far as hair damage. Both can potentially be very damaging if done incorrectly.

Ashfast
08-18-2008, 05:57 PM
Texturizer grew my hair longer than a relaxer ever has, I had a relaxer with 3 or 4 inches of new growth, I decided to put a texturizer on my new growth because I hate the Transitioning phase, anywayz, once I did that my hair shot down my back, now all my relaxer is gone

Ashfast
08-18-2008, 05:58 PM
But Im sure natural is still the healthier way to go

CREODiiVA
08-18-2008, 09:11 PM
Yea...I Cant wait untill I can cut off the rest Of this Perm

jasnian0313
08-19-2008, 09:32 AM
wat length hair do u have now ashfast...and what texturizer r u using

CREODiiVA
08-20-2008, 10:33 AM
wat length hair do u have now ashfast...and what texturizer r u using

are you thinking about Getting One Girl ???

Milyrah
08-20-2008, 12:38 PM
A long time ago I wanted to put a texturizer in my hair. There wasn't one hair dresser that would put one in my hair. I guess that is why it's in a box in the stores because some stylist refuse to do them. I'm all natural now but I told my best friend that if I don't tame my mane the way I want it, in 6 months I will be putting a texturizer on this thick head of hair. I hope it doesn't come to that.

ExtendedBeauty
09-04-2008, 08:48 PM
There is a Big difference in Texurizers and Relaxers.The chemical make up is #1 and #2 is the change in the physical properties of the hair.When you relax,you break 2 of bonds that coat the 3 layers of the hair.so ur basically left with 1 layer of protection,whereas w/ Texturers,less bonds are broken ,leaving you with more protection,2 of the 3 layers that coat each strand,when chemical bonds are broken,hair is vulnerable to breakage scientifically speaking,your hair is dead.sodium hydroxide relaxers do a permanent change in the hair,that cannot be reversed.The only thing you can do is moisturize.Texurizers does not entirely change the physical properties,it was made to rearrange physical properties,giving you a Softer curl pattern.Now,if you over process,overlap the chemical,yes Damage is mos def in ur future.

CREODiiVA
09-05-2008, 08:39 PM
There is a Big difference in Texurizers and Relaxers.The chemical make up is #1 and #2 is the change in the physical properties of the hair.When you relax,you break 2 of bonds that coat the 3 layers of the hair.so ur basically left with 1 layer of protection,whereas w/ Texturers,less bonds are broken ,leaving you with more protection,2 of the 3 layers that coat each strand,when chemical bonds are broken,hair is vulnerable to breakage scientifically speaking,your hair is dead.sodium hydroxide relaxers do a permanent change in the hair,that cannot be reversed.The only thing you can do is moisturize.Texurizers does not entirely change the physical properties,it was made to rearrange physical properties,giving you a Softer curl pattern.Now,if you over process,overlap the chemical,yes Damage is mos def in ur future.

Thankss You explained this really well..........
One question ..If you had Like a 4b/4a hair and you got this I know It wouldn't change the texture alot But It would Take away some of the NAPPY Look ???? ..I wish There was a Pic for me to see

rajingbutterfli
09-08-2008, 03:11 PM
So to the woman that said that she put a texturizer on her new growth. Is that a safe thing to do? Just to put a texturizer on your new growth while the relaxer is still on the rest? Won't that break it off? Is your hair healthier with the texturizer?:confused:

Pharoahs_Angel
09-08-2008, 03:23 PM
I personally TexLax. I mix a few Tsp. of EVOO in my Silk Elements, put in on my hair for like 10 min & don't smooth it in unless I want it straightened. You get the best of both worlds this way. Smoother roots & If you want to go wet & wavy/curly (whatever your hair type)...Theen you're good to go.

shandy
09-08-2008, 04:02 PM
a relaxer will give you the same results as a texturizer.....just don't leave it on long

CREODiiVA
09-08-2008, 04:38 PM
a relaxer will give you the same results as a texturizer.....just don't leave it on long

It still has that WET PERM LOOK TO It Though And I hate that FAKE JERRY CURL Look :confused:

Dividir
09-09-2008, 01:46 AM
I have taken to using an mild relaxer, and Im going to see how that will take me. If I want my hair overly straight I can learn to wrap it... or just use a lot of heat protection and straighten it (but I dont need to do it every day) I need to keep some volume in my hair... its soo limp (IMO)

jb1NY
09-16-2008, 11:51 AM
took out a weave recently and found my hair was extremely damaged at the back.....I was contemplating outtin a texturizer in today.....i only have about an 1 1/2 of new growth....can i do this without losing all my hair...or should i wait?

Dividir
09-16-2008, 02:08 PM
took out a weave recently and found my hair was extremely damaged at the back.....I was contemplating outtin a texturizer in today.....i only have about an 1 1/2 of new growth....can i do this without losing all my hair...or should i wait?

Dont do a chemical treatment if oyu think your hair is damage. I would suggest you trim off the damaged area (or get a stylist to do this for you) and healthily care for your hair until it is in good health, and then texturise your hair if you still want to.

Texturising damaged hair will only do more damage

Neo-Natural
10-03-2008, 07:54 PM
I am in the transition phase of being natural. For the last 9 months, I've worned sew-ins, braids, and even wigs. I am looking for a new style to help with growth and managability. Would a texturizer help with both of them?

Neo-Natural
10-03-2008, 07:58 PM
This is some very helpful info. Thanks.

Dividir
10-08-2008, 12:59 AM
I am in the transition phase of being natural. For the last 9 months, I've worned sew-ins, braids, and even wigs. I am looking for a new style to help with growth and managability. Would a texturizer help with both of them?

Using a texturiser will take you away from being natural. A texturised will help your hair become more manageable, but not growth.

But you will no longer be a Natural

BQNY
10-18-2008, 02:05 AM
just wanted to no if texturizers were bad for ur hair

kita
10-18-2008, 05:51 AM
But Im sure natural is still the healthier way to go

What kind of texturizer did you have?

Ladycc
11-02-2008, 03:00 PM
I personally TexLax. I mix a few Tsp. of EVOO in my Silk Elements, put in on my hair for like 10 min & don't smooth it in unless I want it straightened. You get the best of both worlds this way. Smoother roots & If you want to go wet & wavy/curly (whatever your hair type)...Theen you're good to go.

Ditto!

I tex-lax for 5-7 minutes and add oil to the relaxer as well. I am darn near natural but more manageable. I wonder if the slight curl relaxing allows for conditioners to penetrate my hair strands more?

I do believe the texturlizing and relaxing are pretty much the same.

leentora
11-02-2008, 04:14 PM
Ditto!

I tex-lax for 5-7 minutes and add oil to the relaxer as well. I am darn near natural but more manageable. I wonder if the slight curl relaxing allows for conditioners to penetrate my hair strands more?

I do believe the texturlizing and relaxing are pretty much the same.

I agree with to me honest as the only difference is you are not getting a bone stright relaxer but to get the texturlaxer you use the same relaxer that you would to get the bone straight relaxer in the first place - some ppl had oils as previously mentioned or others just leave it on for less time than recommended!

The same product and ingredients - just used differently!

Aftin
11-11-2008, 11:26 AM
I am transitioning right now. I am 5 months into it and considering getting a texturizer during month 7. I am on the fence b/c it is soo hard to grow out my hair.

dimples
11-14-2008, 03:36 PM
I think texturizers are away of say diet. (ex- diet coke, diet pepsi). Its still a relaxer just a milder form that you leave on for a shorter period of time. A way of saying you don't have to have bone straight hair which some consider overprocessed. Either way you have to take special care of a texturizer like you would do a perm.

newbiemom
11-17-2008, 10:04 AM
I am new to this. I have half relaxed 4a hair and I want to get a texturizer becuase I have a tender head. I am willing to wait awhile until my hair is less damaged...did I mention I also hightlighted my fried hair. What is a good texturizer to just give me a wash and go option.

Dividir
11-17-2008, 01:15 PM
I am transitioning right now. I am 5 months into it and considering getting a texturizer during month 7. I am on the fence b/c it is soo hard to grow out my hair.

If you texurise you will no longer be natural... so you would have wasted you five months of transitioning

I am new to this. I have half relaxed 4a hair and I want to get a texturizer becuase I have a tender head. I am willing to wait awhile until my hair is less damaged...did I mention I also hightlighted my fried hair. What is a good texturizer to just give me a wash and go option.

With black people hair, we will never be able to wash and go... frankly I wouldnt want.... no conditioner? hahaha

If you want to avoid tangling, check out the crown and glory method.

Detangle you hair before you wash it. Braid it into 4 sections. Wash, condition,... less tangles

Vermelha
11-18-2008, 04:13 PM
If you texurise you will no longer be natural... so you would have wasted you five months of transitioning

With black people hair, we will never be able to wash and go... frankly I wouldnt want.... no conditioner? hahaha

If you want to avoid tangling, check out the crown and glory method.

Detangle you hair before you wash it. Braid it into 4 sections. Wash, condition,... less tangles

Black ppl do have wash and go hair. A majority of type 3b and 3c ppl are black hair types. Not many white ppl have 3c hair. I consider this wash and go (but it depends on what you want your hair to look like)

Content Liberation
11-25-2008, 12:50 PM

That's not true, I wash & go all the time. I add oil to my conditioner, I detangle while my hair is soaking wet with conditioner, rinse about 1/2 of it out, shake my hair & walk out of the house. I have max shrinkage, and I'm 100% natural. check it out on my fotki my name there is content liberation

healthyhairby...
11-25-2008, 06:57 PM
To all...I am a licensed stylist and while reading all of your posts you are all about right, Except with the fact that natural hair is the best. Just like natural food, eating too much can cause a deficiency in your body (such as iron and protein). The same is true with natural hair...over indulgence can cause deficiencies. What I mean by that is most people that have natural hair either gets locs, braids, twists or just fro it out. With all of that, the stress from the locs, braids and twists cause damage. Also, without proper treatments (protein, conditioners, trims) your "natural" hair will break.
Relaxers can be damaging, if performed improperly and if moisture isn't put back into the hair. Also, most people that go "natural", end up coloring their hair because they feel that they have a little more leverage since the relaxers are gone. Well, newsflash....chemicals are chemicals. Texturizers are milders relaxers and within relaxers are sodium hydroxide and some are with lithium (2 different elements). Texturizers still weaken the cuticles and the disulfide bonds are still broken the same with relaxers and color.

I hope this is helpful ladies and for more info, email me at healthyhairby...@yahoo.com

BNAT
11-29-2008, 10:43 AM
So I just did the big chop. My hairdresser said she will probably texturize and highlight the same day. I really would like to stay all natural but I'm lost right now and my hair is very dry. I was told to use the S-Curl moisturizer in the jar right now until my appt. does this sound cool.

mizzie
01-09-2009, 03:23 PM
asHfast, you sound kool.. i made the change to texuriser about i year, its taking long to grow, but my hair is very strong. what products do you suggest?

tiffany_lf
02-09-2009, 03:40 PM
I Have a Tight Curl Pattern ..If I Were to get a texturizer Later on In the process It would basically Just make my Pattern Alittle Bit More managable Right?

i spent a little over a year in braids to grow my relaxer out with the goal to do a texturizer. I got my first one in Oct 2008 and I like it for the most part. ....at least over a relaxer.
My hair type is 4a...it is VERY TIGHTLY COILED.

The trick with a texturizer is finding where the texturizer will loosen your curl pattern WHILE allowing for the curl without frizz. The first time I had a cute fro that I loved and got tons of complements on. However it was still too frizzy in a lot of areas. This last one loosened my curl patter TOO much to where it is like loose "S" shape and is almost straight...I almost hate it. HOWEVER, both ways i have been able to still press my hair out where it looks like i have a full relaxer AND my hair looks the healthiest it has in YEARS! It really is much more gentle on your hair as it doesn't break it down as much to make it straight. My hair dresser and I are still figuring out all the tricks with texturizing my hair because my hair is new to it.

Overall, I would recommend a texturizer, but becareful. A professional who is great at a relaxer may not be great at a texturizer...it is MUCH tricker. :scared:

edillard9981
04-08-2009, 08:29 PM
Hello ladies I was wondering has anyone tried Natural-Laxer MIX (Natural Hair Relaxer) from treasured locks? my hair is really thick and short I have tried co-washing, I switched to all natural products for my hair but nothing is helping. I don't want to put a tex or relaxer in my hair I just need a little help on how to manage my hair.

So if anyone has tried this product please reply

jamaykagrl
04-12-2009, 09:59 AM
Hi everyone!,
I have had a texturizer for almost two years now and I agree with your comments it is the best of both worlds when you know how to take care of it. Moisture is a big factor with texturized hair because it tends to get dry easy which can lead to breakage. It is a learning process constantly and you find out something new everyday. I usually spray mine down with glycerin and water everyday because it is still very big even when occasionally blow dried. I usually wear it up in a bun for work because if I wore it down it would be a huge mess by evening. On the occasion that it is flat ironed (special occasion) it looks like a fresh relaxer even three months in.

miZZPortah
04-13-2009, 06:50 PM
Hi everyone!,
I have had a texturizer for almost two years now and I agree with your comments it is the best of both worlds when you know how to take care of it. Moisture is a big factor with texturized hair because it tends to get dry easy which can lead to breakage. It is a learning process constantly and you find out something new everyday. I usually spray mine down with glycerin and water everyday because it is still very big even when occasionally blow dried. I usually wear it up in a bun for work because if I wore it down it would be a huge mess by evening. On the occasion that it is flat ironed (special occasion) it looks like a fresh relaxer even three months in.

hey jamaykagrl,

what brand of texturizer do you use? is it easy to apply and is it possible to get chemical burns? i have never used one before and i am looking for something different to try with my hair. i am also just sick and tired of relaxers.

jamaykagrl
04-14-2009, 05:34 PM
hey jamaykagrl,

what brand of texturizer do you use? is it easy to apply and is it possible to get chemical burns? i have never used one before and i am looking for something different to try with my hair. i am also just sick and tired of relaxers.

MizzPortah,
I use S-curls in the blue box. I have tried silk elements when I had a TWA but it didn't do much for me. I may try it again in the future because I hear good things about it. I have never had a chemical burn with it, however I try not to get it on my scalp much if at all. For application I usually get some help from my SO in the back to help with the application, but it is similar to applying a relaxer if not the same.
Texturizers are a little more work like relaxers if not more because u have to make sure you continue to moisturize moisturize moisturize. My advice to you if you are tryin to transition from a relaxer to a texturizer, you may want to let your hair grow out a bit because you don't want to voerlap chemical on the hair. Also you will be dealing with different textures in your hair whil you still have those relaxed ends. HTH!

miZZPortah
04-14-2009, 06:41 PM
MizzPortah,
I use S-curls in the blue box. I have tried silk elements when I had a TWA but it didn't do much for me. I may try it again in the future because I hear good things about it. I have never had a chemical burn with it, however I try not to get it on my scalp much if at all. For application I usually get some help from my SO in the back to help with the application, but it is similar to applying a relaxer if not the same.
Texturizers are a little more work like relaxers if not more because u have to make sure you continue to moisturize moisturize moisturize. My advice to you if you are tryin to transition from a relaxer to a texturizer, you may want to let your hair grow out a bit because you don't want to voerlap chemical on the hair. Also you will be dealing with different textures in your hair whil you still have those relaxed ends. HTH!

thnks for the info!

prettykinks
05-21-2009, 07:08 AM
Great info I am thinking about getting a texturizer or relaxing straight after I have the baby.

Brown eyes Vandaleur
06-02-2009, 06:17 PM
Hello ladies I was wondering has anyone tried Natural-Laxer MIX (Natural Hair Relaxer) from treasured locks? my hair is really thick and short I have tried co-washing, I switched to all natural products for my hair but nothing is helping. I don't want to put a tex or relaxer in my hair I just need a little help on how to manage my hair.

So if anyone has tried this product please reply

I was thinking of using this product too. I've bought it but I heard it's best to use when you're streching out a relaxer or transitioning to being natural. I hope someone who has actually used it replies to your comment too. I know there was a discussion about this in Black Hair Media forum. Just type in Black Hair media and natural laxer Mix.

Vermelha
06-02-2009, 08:04 PM
I was thinking of using this product too. I've bought it but I heard it's best to use when you're streching out a relaxer or transitioning to being natural. I hope someone who has actually used it replies to your comment too. I know there was a discussion about this in Black Hair Media forum. Just type in Black Hair media and natural laxer Mix.

Naturalaxer is permanent. You can't transition to being "natural" with this product because it's results permanently reduce the curl in the hair. So, you'd be "texturized" without lye, essentially, and you must touch up the new growth. Read the FAQ.

I'm not saying it's bad at all. I'm just saying it's, by no means, a transitition to natural hair. Anything that straightens hair w/o chemicals is A-OK IMO, but this isn't a transitioning product.

I did find that DivaSmooth is a good thermogenic straightener that softens the texture of the hair. Look into it if you want to transition to natural hair. The results of DivaSmooth are non-permanent and wear off over time. HTH.

Brown eyes Vandaleur
06-09-2009, 10:01 PM
Naturalaxer is permanent. You can't transition to being "natural" with this product because it's results permanently reduce the curl in the hair. So, you'd be "texturized" without lye, essentially, and you must touch up the new growth. Read the FAQ.

I'm not saying it's bad at all. I'm just saying it's, by no means, a transitition to natural hair. Anything that straightens hair w/o chemicals is A-OK IMO, but this isn't a transitioning product.

I did find that DivaSmooth is a good thermogenic straightener that softens the texture of the hair. Look into it if you want to transition to natural hair. The results of DivaSmooth are non-permanent and wear off over time. HTH.

I just went back and read about this product. It's not a relaxer it more like a deep conditioner for those who are natural.

sniper
06-13-2009, 06:21 PM
With all of these responses; I speculate that a texturizer is better than a relaxer.

Vermelha
06-13-2009, 09:27 PM
With all of these responses; I speculate that a texturizer is better than a relaxer.

Meh... more like the lesser of the two evils. No, they're not bad, but it's hard to say if one is better than the other since most texturizers contain the same chemical as a relaxer does. Texturizers can still be just as drying and damaging to the hair as a relaxer is. It all depends on the person applying it and how they care for the hair in it's chemically-altered state.

memee1978
07-25-2009, 07:52 PM

your absolutely right!!!!!:)

bettalisten
08-28-2009, 09:19 PM
Thanks Ashfast. You answered a lot of my questions. I've been toying around with the idea of going natural and then someone I mentioned to me getting a texturizer. I think relaxers are too hard for my hair and have stunt my growth. Plus I have a natural curl and would like to have the option of wearing it that way. I will be sure not to leave on too long if I decide to go that route and it's good to know all my hair want fall to the ground if I don't let all the relaxer grow out.

Trendolyn
08-29-2009, 05:52 AM
I have been texlaxing for the past year and there is an improvement with my hair.... it doesn't totally destroy my curl pattern....and that's a plus.... also it gives me more thickness and volume..... bone str8 will never be again for me!!!

nuBUN princess23
09-01-2009, 10:05 AM
this has definetly answered my questions about a texturizer because i didnt even know what one was... or should i say i didnt know what was the difference btw a relaxer and a texturizer... so this really helped me lol... i have a question tho is a texturizer more gentler on my color treated hair than a relaxer?

naomimaxine927
09-01-2009, 10:10 AM
The ingredients in a texturizer, does not really differ from a relaxer. The difference is how long it is kept on the hair, texturizers are left on for a shorter period of time, the objective is not to completely straighten the hair, but to "loosen the curl pattern" whereas relaxers, are left on with the intension of making the hair as straight as possible. I believe the length of time it is left on is what matters.

nuBUN princess23
09-01-2009, 10:14 AM
is a texturizer like a jheri curl? and do they dry ur hair out more than relaxer?

naomimaxine927
09-01-2009, 10:22 AM
A texturizer is not like a jheri curl, it does not make your hair automatically curly (nor wet, ew). All a texturizer does (if done properly) is loosen the curl pattern, so if your hair is very tightly curled, it would enlongate them a bit, that's all it's suppose to do. Loosen not straighten, or curl. If you did not have curly hair before the texturizer, it will not give you a curly texture, if anything leaving it on for long, will just turn your hair straight, like I said, it has the same properties as a relaxer, so if done wrong, you'll end up with the same results as if you had a relaxer.

Vermelha
09-01-2009, 08:28 PM
is a texturizer like a jheri curl? and do they dry ur hair out more than relaxer?

naomimaxine is right! A texturizer doesn't make the hair curly, it just loosens your natural hair texture. If your hair is coily, your curls will be looser and you can see the curl more. If your hair is a Z pattern, it would just soften the hair texture to a looser kinky texture. Jheri curls are curl rearrangers, which shape the hair into a more defined curl.

Also, both dry out the hair, but the Jheri requires tons of moisture, meaning the hair can never be worn dry without breakage (which I don't understand wearing wet hair all day...). Texturizer isn't as bad, but the hair does need the same care as if using a relaxer, since they both consist of the same ingredients.

nuBUN princess23
09-02-2009, 06:34 AM
thank u girls for the insight!! do you ladies both use texturizers?... i have been relaxed for so long but now that i am going to be bunnng on a regular basis i see no need in using a relaxer for the purpose of getting my hair bone straight... so do u think i should jus use a texturizer? cuz i need somthing to keep my hair manageable...

or do u ladies use something else to keep ur hair manageable nad edges sleek post relaxer or texlaxed? i am new to this bunning/protective hair styling n would like to know all that i can...

LuvaLicious
09-13-2009, 10:50 AM
okay, i heard someone speak about this earlier (texlax) and i was thinking about it. the thing is my hair is already relaxed, can i still apply this to my new growth? will it look significantly different? do you recommend it at all? (i am not going natural yet so its between this and the relaxer ppl)
are yal saying i would eventually have to cut all the relaxed end off?

nuBUN princess23
09-14-2009, 06:05 AM
bump... great question

kokomo921
02-17-2010, 01:57 PM

What is EVOO? And sorry but what is TEXLAX?

kokomo921
02-17-2010, 02:00 PM
MizzPortah,

Do you still have a texturizer? If so, does it grow your hair much?

evanny
02-17-2010, 03:45 PM
okay, i heard someone speak about this earlier (texlax) and i was thinking about it. the thing is my hair is already relaxed, can i still apply this to my new growth? will it look significantly different? do you recommend it at all? (i am not going natural yet so its between this and the relaxer ppl)
are yal saying i would eventually have to cut all the relaxed end off?

I'm currently switching over to texlaxing instead of relaxing bone straight. I won't be cutting of the relaxed ends. I texladed this last relaxer, and I don't see a significant difference between the two textures.

Kokomo- EVOO id Extra Virgin Olive Oil. Texlaxing is when you relax your hair only to the point where your curl pattern is loosened, not to the point of getting bone straight hair without any curl pattern to it. A texturizer does not help your hair to grow faster. It just makes your hair more manageable and a lot of people see an increase in the thickness of their hair b/c the hair isn't relaxed completely straight.

angel_hair
02-24-2010, 09:57 AM
I'm currently switching over to texlaxing instead of relaxing bone straight. I won't be cutting of the relaxed ends. I texladed this last relaxer, and I don't see a significant difference between the two textures.

Kokomo- EVOO id Extra Virgin Olive Oil. Texlaxing is when you relax your hair only to the point where your curl pattern is loosened, not to the point of getting bone straight hair without any curl pattern to it. A texturizer does not help your hair to grow faster. It just makes your hair more manageable and a lot of people see an increase in the thickness of their hair b/c the hair isn't relaxed completely straight.

Eventually you will see a big difference, and you will love it. It feels like you have hair on your head and lots of it. The only draw back is flat ironing, because the hair is so underporcessed the temp on the flat iron has to be increased. I am so thankful to learn about textlaxing, and I wear my hair in it's curly state 100% of the time.

Dividir
02-24-2010, 02:47 PM
Black ppl do have wash and go hair. A majority of type 3b and 3c ppl are black hair types. Not many white ppl have 3c hair. I consider this wash and go (but it depends on what you want your hair to look like)

My apologies... IMO, I meant the kinkier hair type...

That's not true, I wash & go all the time. I add oil to my conditioner, I detangle while my hair is soaking wet with conditioner, rinse about 1/2 of it out, shake my hair & walk out of the house. I have max shrinkage, and I'm 100% natural. check it out on my fotki my name there is content liberation

I'm sorry. I see a wash and go a lack of conditioner. Or even a two in one. I did not mean air drying

2218hair
03-04-2010, 09:00 PM
My hair is texurized, and I have it professionally done at the salon. Right now I am in the process of figuring out what works for my hair, so it has been almost a year since my last touch-up. MY hair is so much thicker, fuller, and stronger than when it was relaxed bone straight. My goal was to have a thick pony tail that was full and long, versus a bone straight thin wispy pony tail. I have gained a lot of lenght, but it definitely takes getting use to as far as products that you use. Since it is so much thicker, you have to use more products, and on top of that a different texture, so the products that worked for your bone straight relaxed hair may not be as effective on your thicker locks. I am on a power grow out challenge, and I am using Sulu Max Gro. I have started a blog to document my progress. My first comparision picture is going to be posted on March 15th. I will provide the link so you all can see the results. You will be able to see how thick my texurized hair is in the photo.

QT1007
03-17-2010, 08:18 PM
Texturizer grew my hair longer than a relaxer ever has, I had a relaxer with 3 or 4 inches of new growth, I decided to put a texturizer on my new growth because I hate the Transitioning phase, anywayz, once I did that my hair shot down my back, now all my relaxer is gone

Interesting hmmm.....:)

NFW_THA_QUEEN13
06-14-2010, 09:44 PM
If you know what both a Texturizer and a Relaxer is then it should be common sense that a TEXTURIZER IS BETTER THAN A RELAXER. A texturizer is basically a milder version of a relaxer that makes the hair more manageable and it restores the natural curls to hair that some of us black women have. Relaxers are chemical-related products that straighten the hair and makes it more manageable as well, but it causes more damage than a texturizer. If I would've known what a Texturizer was before a Relaxer, I would've just gotten it because I think us girls that were born with hard to manage hair (tender headed) just wanted something that allowed us to run our fingers through our hair w/out getting it stuck and a texturizer is what we needed.

PDuffey
06-27-2010, 11:30 AM
I think texturizers aren't as bad, right?

Ella
07-18-2010, 08:14 AM
Hi everyone new to the site. I have nutural hair and I wear braids but the braids are making my hair weak and breaking it off. I workout a lot and sweat in my head like a water fall. I have been thinking about coming out of the braids and trying a texturizer. Do you ladies think that this is a good ideal. And is there anyone who has the same problem?

jackson7
07-18-2010, 09:08 AM
My hair is texturized. I've been doing it for about a year after having had natural hair for about a year. I'm always doing the BC and trying new things. Thank God my hair continues to grow. I have a lot of breakage now, could be products and also the stretch I am doing for week 9 or 10.
Texturizer loosens your natural curl pattern, can still burn like a relaxer (don't ever do chemical services when it's that time of the month, pores are open ouchie) As soon as I get my Iphone back I'll post a pic of my hair just texturized. You can wear it "wet and wavy" so it looks nice. During my stretch I rock it without the products and use coconut oil and do twist outs. I can say it grew my hair nicely. Just working on the breakage now. Hope that helps.

zeeken123
12-04-2010, 06:52 PM
I think texturizer is a mild relaxer.

naomimaxine927
12-04-2010, 07:30 PM
Hi everyone new to the site. I have nutural hair and I wear braids but the braids are making my hair weak and breaking it off. I workout a lot and sweat in my head like a water fall. I have been thinking about coming out of the braids and trying a texturizer. Do you ladies think that this is a good ideal. And is there anyone who has the same problem?

Hi and welcome Ella! Texturizing is fine if that is what you want. It has the same chemical compounds as a relaxer, it just left on the hair for a shorter amount of time. Giving you a loose texture. If left in too long, it will leave your hair bone straight FYI.

lele7575
01-15-2011, 01:22 PM
hello to all. wow!!! this is a great and very informative site!!

my stylist had suggested to me that i go from relaxer to texturizing b/c my hair has been breaking off so bad lately. i have a decent grade of hair and has been getting relaxers ever 3 to 4 months but when i would get them, my hair breaks off so bad but only on one side. just last month, that side of my hair broke off so bad that i had to get all my hair cut off (the other side was sitting past my collar) so now i'm wearing it in a bob.

i've thought about going natural but i'm not sure. i might let her try the texturizer for now and see how that goes....

ajlo21
06-21-2011, 10:51 AM

So, what is the texture of your hair now?? and did all the perm grow out??...
i mean, how can u tell if the texturizer acts "like" a relaxer, just not lasting as long??....i ask because i'm considering a texturizer after not having any chemicals for 9months...

1ak
07-04-2011, 06:47 AM
If i used Just For Me hair softener, can i texlax 3 mths later? Help anyone?

1ak
07-04-2011, 06:48 AM
I really think i'm leaving this texturizer on too long. Is 10 mins too long?

1ak
07-04-2011, 06:52 AM
I agree. I definitely left the texturizer too long. I gues i'll have to start over. oh well.

thatgirl07
07-18-2011, 04:24 AM
how much will the hair straighten if i get it texturized ?

Blossom_1
11-13-2012, 12:00 PM
What kind of texturizer are u using. I used olive oil organics for kids, it kind of straightens my hair to much

munchy
11-28-2012, 07:10 AM
Thinking about a texurizer...My kids are busy, and I dont know if I can dedicate the TIME to keep it up and the MONEY to keep my hair in protective styles...*puff's breath* decisions...decisions!

blackbetty79
02-03-2013, 09:59 PM
The difference I see is moisture with a texturizer. My hair feels amaxing and I love love having curly hair.

eyekandy22
08-23-2014, 01:07 PM
I used Designer's Touch texturizing relaxer, which in regular made my hair straight/wavy. It worked too quickly and made my hair so soft and mushy. Could be that its lye, and my hair is fine and thin overly softening. Relaxers can be better for texturizing honestly.