View Full Version : How to keep new growth soft?!

xrainbowmarkersx
02-24-2011, 07:58 AM
GAH! My new growth is killing me! I have this style where its super short in the back and longer in the front but now I wanna grow it all out. The only problem is that I keep ripping out my hair in the back because the new growth gets to thick and coarse(best way I can explain it) there. Even with a wide tooth comb. Any suggestions on how to keep it soft?

Nimi
02-24-2011, 08:17 AM
How does you hair react to Shea butter? I mix shea butter, castor oil and water together in a spray bottle and spray on my new growth. It does a great job of softening my new growth.

xrainbowmarkersx
02-24-2011, 09:03 AM
How does you hair react to Shea butter? I mix shea butter, castor oil and water together in a spray bottle and spray on my new growth. It does a great job of softening my new growth.

I'm not sure, I've never tried it before. Where can I find the Shea butter ad castor oil at? And are they kind of expensive?

DiggyNaps
02-24-2011, 12:35 PM
I'd say start off with a hot oil treatment and see what happens first. Try Olive Oil or Wheat Germ Oil. If you live in NYC I can tell you where to go for the WGO and Shea Butter.

jusstoya
02-24-2011, 12:40 PM
Scurl is good for softening ng.
Cowashing & dc'ing regularly.

ETA: How is it ripping out in the back? Is it snagging on your clothes? Or while your combing it?

godiva
02-24-2011, 02:01 PM
^ITA with the cowashing and DCing regularly. What are you using to moisturize in between washings? Are you combing dry hair?

Curlgenie
02-24-2011, 03:29 PM
i normally use coconut oil or castor oil the latter works wonders for me

CherriPepsi
02-24-2011, 10:53 PM
I'd say start off with a hot oil treatment and see what happens first. Try Olive Oil or Wheat Germ Oil. If you live in NYC I can tell you where to go for the WGO and Shea Butter.

I wanna know where to get WGO with out ordering online. I have a sneaking suspicion that I should check Atlantic Ave though...

@ Rainbow- A DC and protein treatments can help. Also, the caramel treatment is also good.

Nimi
02-25-2011, 03:34 AM
I'm not sure, I've never tried it before. Where can I find the Shea butter ad castor oil at? And are they kind of expensive?

Depends on where you are. I'm in the UK so I get my Castor oil from a Health store. You should be able to get Shea butter at a store for hair products.

Vegetable glycerine with water is also very good for moisturzing new growth.

What are you currently using on your hair?

DiggyNaps
02-25-2011, 08:27 PM
CherriPepsi: The Vitamin Shoppe on Court St.:D

Eelite
02-25-2011, 10:03 PM
So how much water, shea butter & CO do you mix? Do you melt the shea butter and mix it with the CO first or what?

Eelite
02-25-2011, 10:04 PM
Depends on where you are. I'm in the UK so I get my Castor oil from a Health store. You should be able to get Shea butter at a store for hair products.

Vegetable glycerine with water is also very good for moisturzing new growth.

What are you currently using on your hair?
Where do you find vegetable glycerine?

xrainbowmarkersx
02-26-2011, 04:03 PM
Scurl is good for softening ng.
Cowashing & dc'ing regularly.

ETA: How is it ripping out in the back? Is it snagging on your clothes? Or while your combing it?

Whenever I comb it it rips out.

xrainbowmarkersx
02-26-2011, 04:06 PM
^ITA with the cowashing and DCing regularly. What are you using to moisturize in between washings? Are you combing dry hair?

I cowash and DC every sunday. In between washes I moisturize with distilled water and extra virgin olive oil. Yes I comb it dry. But on wash days I comb it after I get out of the shower

xrainbowmarkersx
02-26-2011, 04:07 PM

How would I do a hot oil treatment?

xrainbowmarkersx
02-26-2011, 04:07 PM
I wanna know where to get WGO with out ordering online. I have a sneaking suspicion that I should check Atlantic Ave though...

@ Rainbow- A DC and protein treatments can help. Also, the caramel treatment is also good.

What's a caramel treatment?

Bodybutter
02-26-2011, 05:39 PM
Kimmaytube gets on my nerves sometimes but I love her Leave In concoction made with aloe vera, jojoba oil, castor oil and Knot today leave in-I add ylang ylang for scent. My hair really does not need more than a water spritz for days after I use it; although I still use a bit of her formula day and night. I used it on my Mom's hair today after I snipped out her serious knots then gave her big twists. She was amazed at the softness, coily texture and length of her hair after I'd completed her hair care. Try Kimmaytube for some dynamite hair care ideas.

xrainbowmarkersx
02-28-2011, 01:26 AM
Ii broke down and decided to get all the stuff for Kimmaytube's concoction thing. How could I not after all the positive reviews Ive seen on it? I'll update on how it works out!

Nimi
02-28-2011, 02:47 AM
So how much water, shea butter & CO do you mix? Do you melt the shea butter and mix it with the CO first or what?

I melt the unrefined Shea butter and mixed it with oils to create a moisturising lotion for my new growth.

For the hair spray I use the ORS Shea butter hair softening lotion mixed with water, castor oil and either peppermint oil or rosemary oil. I use about 2/3 water, 1/3 each for castor oil and shea butter and a couple of drops of the essential oil.

I use the unrefined shea butter for the lotion instead of the spray because it is very thick and will not mix well with the water and oil in the spray bottle.

Nimi
02-28-2011, 02:54 AM
Where do you find vegetable glycerine?

I either get it online at Sheabutter Cottage - Additives - VEGETABLE GLYCERINE (http://www.akuawood.co.uk/product.php?productid=315&cat=1&page=1) or at a Health and Beauty store called Boots. You guys should have the equivalent over in the US. hth

DiggyNaps
02-28-2011, 06:36 AM
How would I do a hot oil treatment?

I keep all of my oils in applicator bottles. I heat them up in a hot water bath for about 10 mins. Separate hair in 4 sections. Apply throughout. Then I put on a plastic cap and either sit under a hooded dryer, or use a blowdryer to heat for 20 min or so. Then wash as you normally do.

If you have a hair steamer, you can definitely use that as well. I had to exchange mine, so it's on its way.

You'll definitely be subject to "Oily Neck Syndrome", so make sure you use a towel and wear a house-shirt.

jusstoya
02-28-2011, 10:50 AM
Combing dry hair could also be the problem too..... have you tried to comb with conditioner in/leave in on wash days

Greenwood2010
03-01-2011, 09:27 PM
Try a deep conditioner; that should soften the new growth.

xrainbowmarkersx
03-05-2011, 10:59 PM
Kimmaytube gets on my nerves sometimes but I love her Leave In concoction made with aloe vera, jojoba oil, castor oil and Knot today leave in-I add ylang ylang for scent. My hair really does not need more than a water spritz for days after I use it; although I still use a bit of her formula day and night. I used it on my Mom's hair today after I snipped out her serious knots then gave her big twists. She was amazed at the softness, coily texture and length of her hair after I'd completed her hair care. Try Kimmaytube for some dynamite hair care ideas.

All I can say is wow. I freaking love this leave in. I've never had one work so well for me! Thanks for the suggestion!

evanny
03-05-2011, 11:12 PM
I'm going to try out her leave in with different products. I've been thinking about it for a while.

PrincessRN
03-06-2011, 05:29 PM
I have tried her leave in a couple of times but substituted some of the ingredients. My results were O.K. but not all that great as everyone has been raving about. In fairness, I really can't rate it unless I make it exactly the way she says, but I will never do that because I cannot use the Knot Today.

@Evanny I hope you like it. Let me know what products you used.

ysm
03-06-2011, 07:06 PM
I'm going to try out her leave in with different products. I've been thinking about it for a while.

I use it w/NTM. Knot Today is too expensive! It works wonders for my hair when its wet/damp. But its too greasy for me when my hair is dry, I need to cut back on the oil.

qwachie
03-20-2012, 11:27 PM
Hi guys.am thinking of using castor oil,coconut oil, glycerine and rosewater mix. am a newbie at this,what do you guys think?