View Full Version : Is Rumpelstiltskin a Pedophile?

leentora
02-15-2011, 02:03 PM
http://storynory.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/03/rumpelstiltskin03800.jpg

Is Rumpelstiltskin a Pedophile? Hubby came up with the thought that Rumpelstiltskin is a pervert and a pedophile. He question is, why is an old man interested in taking peoples kids? Hubby mentioned a few of his other thought about this man, but I will not and can not post that here LOL

Now what is your thought on Rumpelstiltskin and his actions on taking people's kids?

evanny
02-15-2011, 02:30 PM
I thought that he was taking them and eating them or that he was making them slaves.

CherriPepsi
02-15-2011, 06:34 PM
I took him for a little demon or something or some guy who was a cannabal and into witchcraft. I never thought him to be a pedophile.

Is there a story behind this?

denalove
02-15-2011, 06:44 PM
hmm..I guess I never thought of this. I admit, your dh does have a point. I guess I was thinking on the lines of him taking them just to be mean. I never gave it any thought as to what he was doing with them.
Honestly, there are a lot of subliminal messages within our common folktales and even nursery rhymes.
That's why i take the simple fairy tales and teach my kids life lessons...
Goldilocks and the bears---Don't walk into stranger's homes and make yourself comfy enough to eat their food and take a nap!!

Red Riding Hood--always travel with a buddy, don't tell the wolf( strangers) where you are going and everything on your agenda, he'll be standing there waiting for you when you get there.

The list goes on, but my kids are always looking at me like I'm crazy when I tell them fairy tales, and then start preaching how dumb the characters are..lol

leentora
02-15-2011, 06:52 PM
I took him for a little demon or something or some guy who was a cannabal and into witchcraft. I never thought him to be a pedophile.

Is there a story behind this?

CP no, it is just a genuine discussion.

Our son watch Seseame street if anyone does you know how seseame street remake some fairy tales. And Rumpelstiltskin was a remake and hubby was just observing the whole story and that is when he thought about. He just thought that some of these old tales as Dena says may and do have some form of of odd messages.

We began discussing it and thought what is the purpose of such a story with an old man and or whatever stealing babies.

I guess with today's way of life and how people make you start questioning everything.

CherriPepsi
02-15-2011, 07:14 PM
I asked because Little Red Ridinghood has a deeper, sharper story to it. I'd tell you more but I'm too dizzy atm.

dargofargo
02-15-2011, 07:17 PM
So i did some looking and Rumelstiltskin is actually one of the good fairy tells compared to the others lol..

READ WITH CAUTION

Top 10 Gruesome Fairy Tale Origins (http://listverse.com/2009/01/06/9-gruesome-fairy-tale-origins/)

By the time i got done reading i was like :eek:

denalove
02-15-2011, 07:34 PM
So i did some looking and Rumelstiltskin is actually one of the good fairy tells compared to the others lol..

READ WITH CAUTION

Top 10 Gruesome Fairy Tale Origins (http://listverse.com/2009/01/06/9-gruesome-fairy-tale-origins/)

Yikes!!! That makes me wanna burn all of the fairy tale books in the house, just because of the origins!!:eek:
Snowwhite's was traumatic! Realllly disturbing!! WTH!?!??!

In the original sleeping beauty, the lovely princess is put to sleep when she pricks her finger on a spindle. She sleeps for one hundred years when a prince finally arrives, kisses her, and awakens her. They fall in love, marry, and (surprise surprise) live happily ever after. But alas, the original tale is not so sweet (in fact, you have to read this to believe it.) In the original, the young woman is put to sleep because of a prophesy, rather than a curse. And it isnít the kiss of a prince which wakes her up: the king seeing her asleep, and rather fancying having a bit, rapes her. After nine months she gives birth to two children (while she is still asleep). One of the children sucks her finger which removes the piece of flax which was keeping her asleep. She wakes up to find herself raped and the mother of two kids.

leentora
02-15-2011, 07:38 PM

READ WITH CAUTION

:eek:They are all disgusting LOL, I will show this list to hubby in the morning lol

Mmmmm that Rumelstiltskin is still weird, he rip himself apart because he could not have the baby lol Pedo!

denalove
02-15-2011, 07:39 PM
:eek:They are all disgusting LOL, I will show this list to hubby in the morning lol

Mmmmm that Rumelstiltskin is still weird, he rip himself apart because he could not have the baby lol Pedo!

right!! How sick!! :mad:

leentora
02-15-2011, 07:40 PM
@Dena yes girl it was really disturbing, I got some fairytale books as a goft, out they go. Brown Bear is too young for them and they are not going to be around when he can read them. Not after that list!

dargofargo
02-15-2011, 07:40 PM

LMAO. I know

denalove
02-15-2011, 07:43 PM
@Dena yes girl it was really disturbing, I got some fairytale books as a goft, out they go. Brown Bear is too young for them and they are not going to be around when he can read them. Not after that list!

Tell me about it! lol
We have a classical book of fairly tales too (gift) Never been too big on buying them anyways, I am more of a Dr. Seuss fan, at least there are some educational elements to those books, and they are far more interesting than these disgusting stories that encourage pedophilia, talking to strangers, breaking in people's homes, cannibalism, and withcraft!!

Yikes!! NO thank you!!

Halibel
02-15-2011, 07:49 PM
From what I remembered of this fairy tell I thought he taking the kids away just be a arsehole. :cool: (This story never really got any play, lol)

Reminds me of the pied piper! Snatchin up those lil monsters like, "yeah, I took yo kids and what?! Should of gave me what I wanted." Haha, like a G! :cool:

Hide ya kids, hide ya wife, lol

Saunta2
02-15-2011, 07:55 PM
I remember reading that version of the little mermaid, I had obviously watched the movie first and I thought the book was absolute rubbish. I of course thought everything was written wrong and I remember being very upset about it.

chocohippie
02-15-2011, 09:28 PM
He is taking the child as collateral for the favour that he gave her. He was to rear the child as his own, not to do pedophilia actions with the child.
Have you guys ever taken a fiction class? There are loads of analysis on fairy tales, and pedophilia hasn't been one that I've run across. Interesting, but a wrong angle.

evanny
02-16-2011, 12:41 AM
I don't even want to read the link......

CherriPepsi
02-16-2011, 08:26 AM
He is taking the child as collateral for the favour that he gave her. He was to rear the child as his own, not to do pedophilia actions with the child.
Have you guys ever taken a fiction class? There are loads of analysis on fairy tales, and pedophilia hasn't been one that I've run across. Interesting, but a wrong angle.

I have not taken that type of fiction yet. Is there a name for your since not all fiction deals with fairytales. I'd like to find similar classes.

Also, I still think Rumpelstiltskin just loves to eat babies... or use them in a potion to keep alive or gain power.

CherriPepsi
02-16-2011, 08:29 AM
I don't even want to read the link......

I've read far worse than the link in tales from other countries. I actually like those better than the Grimm Brothers.

evanny
02-16-2011, 08:54 AM
I've read far worse than the link in tales from other countries. I actually like those better than the Grimm Brothers.

Oh I wouldn't doubt that the Grimm Brother's stories were bad. This whole thing just breaks my heart. I grew up loving these tales and to see where they actually came from....:(

Iwanthealthyhair67
02-16-2011, 09:08 AM
R. Kelly call's himself the Pied Piper, I wonder why???

Iwanthealthyhair67
02-16-2011, 09:11 AM
strangely last night or early this morning I had the strangest dream..I wa in an airport getting ready to board a flight..walking through a terminal I saw a trash cash filled with childrens books also fairytale books so I began to take them out shortly after I woke up...what a strange dream

leentora
02-16-2011, 09:20 AM
R. Kelly call's himself the Pied Piper, I wonder why???

Really? I wonder why too.

ciara2624
02-16-2011, 09:25 AM
I remember reading Cinderella by the Grimm Brothers years ago it was kind of disturbing how the stepsisters went so far as to cut off their toes and heels just to make the shoe fit, and the Prince could actually see the blood pouring out of the shoes.
Their mother told them to go ahead and cut off parts of their feet because when they married the Prince they wouldn't need to walk anyways because they would be rich enough to be carried everywhere or something like that.

Pretty86
02-16-2011, 10:04 AM

Thanks for the insight. A class of that sort does sound interesting.

I remember reading Cinderella by the Grimm Brothers years ago it was kind of disturbing how the stepsisters went so far as to cut off their toes and heels just to make the shoe fit, and the Prince could actually see the blood pouring out of the shoes.
Their mother told them to go ahead and cut off parts of their feet because when they married the Prince they wouldn't need to walk anyways because they would be rich enough to be carried everywhere or something like that.

Wow...smh

evanny
02-16-2011, 10:24 AM

What in the world?! Those brothers are off in the head!!

ciara2624
02-16-2011, 11:10 AM
^^^I know and those stories were published in a book called Children's and Household Tales, can you imagine reading your kids a story like that :eek::confused:

dargofargo
02-16-2011, 11:13 AM

I remember reading a asian version of this and the step sisters and step mom ended up getting crushed by a house, i remember laughing so hard (haha i was a disturbed child ) Because i felt they got what they deserved and i remember a girl in the class cried so our teacher didn't let anyone read the book. :mad:

leentora
02-16-2011, 11:19 AM
^^^I know and those stories were published in a book called Children's and Household Tales, can you imagine reading your kids a story like that :eek::confused:

Exactly, these are meant to be for kids and the original story line is so disturbing.
I mean really? Did they had kids in thought when they were writing these stories...., think not.

I remember reading a asian version of this and the step sisters and step mom ended up getting crushed by a house, i remember laughing so hard (haha i was a disturbed child ) Because i felt they got what they deserved and i remember a girl in the class cried so our teacher didn't let anyone read the book. :mad:

Poor kid, she probably have nightmare after that.

It was the story that made you disturbed girl, that was your way of dealing with it, was to laugh. LOL

CherriPepsi
02-16-2011, 05:28 PM
Oh I wouldn't doubt that the Grimm Brother's stories were bad. This whole thing just breaks my heart. I grew up loving these tales and to see where they actually came from....:(

I can see where you're coming form. I learned first hand not to be dumb enough to rewatch all of those movies I used to love growing up. Ferngully did me in.

CherriPepsi
02-16-2011, 05:33 PM

I can since kids now are kinda like pansies when compared to kinds in my generation. I can't even watch Legend with my DD or cousins because it would scare them half to death but I grew up with that movie and loved it. Even the Never Ending Story is risky and that is one of my FAVORITE movies ever.

Also, many of the folklore had lessons in which children were being warned about dangers of certain vices. You have to have some way of teaching your children some wisdom.

evanny
02-16-2011, 06:09 PM
I can see where you're coming form. I learned first hand not to be dumb enough to rewatch all of those movies I used to love growing up. Ferngully did me in.
I used to LOVE Ferngully and The Never Ending Story. I was secretly in love with the main character from that movie. lol Then I watched them again when I got older. I didn't realize the things that were going on in those movies when I was younger like I do now. Even Disney movies. I didn't even realize back then how much magic and witchcraft was in those movies.

CherriPepsi
02-16-2011, 06:26 PM
I'll admit, I still like the Never Ending Story. It's just other movies I'm taken aback by. As much as I may want to I won't even touch Willow now and I remember seeing that in the theaters. Fun times...

denalove
02-16-2011, 06:40 PM
awww..The Never Ending story was and still is my fave!!! I love that movie. Thats one movie that I won't stop loving!!

rpg1908
02-16-2011, 08:23 PM
Fairy tales were not originally meant for kids, that's why the content was so gory it was meant for an adult audience. They then started changing them around making them less gory but this time with the intention of scaring kids to listen to their parents and do the right thing. Eventually the tales were tranformed into the tales we have today. I remember in high school seeing the Grimm brothers' version on a fieldtrip and that sparked my interest been trying to gather them ever since.

Iwanthealthyhair67
02-17-2011, 11:11 AM
I'm not at all sure that we realize what we are exposing our children and ourselves to words have 'life' and death be careful of the movies, songs, books, nick names, artifacts, ornaments, figurines etc., that you expose yourself and children to...

TDC1978
02-20-2011, 07:09 AM
Wow! Very interesting. I have heard about the gore in fairytales before. never thought of Rumpletiltskin as a pedophile though. And I was in love with Sebastian too! I used to dream that he would take me flying on that winged dog thing.