View Full Version : Is Biotin or Fish oil good for hair growth?

Naemamaz
02-08-2011, 02:00 PM
I heard it's effective for helping your hair grow, what's your opinion?

Halibel
02-08-2011, 04:04 PM
I think biotin in my multivitamin has helped with aiding in thicker and healthier hair. Does wonders for helping my skin stay clear now. :)

I haven't used fish oil.....sorry.

HealthyLocs
02-08-2011, 04:07 PM
I've heard that biotin is great for your hair, not too sure about fish oil tho

Curlgenie
02-08-2011, 05:45 PM
Same I havnt heard a lot on fish oil but all my hair vitamins have biotin in thm so I'm guessing biotin gts results

BuMping for fish oil users :)

denalove
02-08-2011, 05:47 PM
I heard it's effective for helping your hair grow, what's your opinion?

Biotin for sure! It's super for hair growth..but it's very hard on the stomach. Beware..much better when in a multi. Alone it's harsh.

denalove
02-08-2011, 05:50 PM
Fish Oil for Hair Growth | eHow.com (http://www.ehow.com/way_5340617_fish-oil-hair-growth.html)

Fish Oil for Hair Growth

Nothing could seem further from hair growth than cold, scaly fish. Don't be fooled by their scales: fish contain high amounts of omega-3 fatty acids, which work wonders for your body, and may even help your hair. Although more scientific evidence is needed before a direct link between fish oil and hair growth can be established, a healthy diet of omega-3s will, at the very least, keep your cholesterol low and your heart healthy.

Omega-3s
1. There are three kinds of omega-3 fatty acids: DHA and EPA, which are found in fish, and ALA, which comes from plant sources like flaxseed and avocado. Don't confuse them with omega-6 fatty acids, found in sources like corn oil. Most Americans consume about 20 times more omega-6 than omega-3.

Although omega-3s are vital to human health, they're not produced naturally by the body. That's why it's important to add them to your diet, by eating fish and other sources directly, or by taking supplements such as fish oil.
Benefits to Hair
2. Speculation has been made that omega-3s from fish oil, by nourishing the hair follicles, can help hair growth and prevent balding. Without enough omega-3 in your diet, your hair may grow dry and unmanageable.

Don't be confused by the "oil" in fish oil; this isn't something you want to apply topically to your hair. It smells like fish, not surprisingly, and comes in gel capsules that are designed to neutralize the smell. Fish oil is a hair treatment to be taken from the inside out.
Dosage
3. If you're taking fish oil supplements, follow the dosage on the bottle (usually one pill a day, about 600 mg of EPA and DHA). To get your omega-3s straight from the source, the American Heart Association recommends two servings of fatty fish per week. This includes tuna, salmon, halibut, whitefish, trout, mackerel, etc. Try to get your fish wild, not farm-raised. Wild fish have the highest, healthiest nutritional content. Farm-raised fish are often sickly and bred in crowded, unsanitary environments.

Too much omega-3 can lead to bleeding, so don't take more than 3 grams a day, unless directly supervised by your doctor

Read more: Fish Oil for Hair Growth | eHow.com Fish Oil for Hair Growth | eHow.com (http://www.ehow.com/way_5340617_fish-oil-hair-growth.html#ixzz1DVqlx5zA)

Halibel
02-08-2011, 06:21 PM
Ohhh, I need to step my omega game up. :D

denalove
02-08-2011, 06:23 PM
^^me too..I have some in there too..**runs to the vitamin cabinet**

curlcrew2
02-08-2011, 07:44 PM
I take Spring Valley brand Fish Oil,Borage, Flaxseed, and Omega 3,6,9 in softgel everyday as one of my supplements.

Bodybutter
02-08-2011, 07:52 PM
I no longer take straight biotin for hair growth as it does encourage hair growth all over not just your head. I take evening primrose oil, vitamin D3, once in a while a Country Life Powerdophilus capsule. I now take supplements for my general heath not specifically for hair growth.

denalove
02-08-2011, 09:46 PM
I no longer take straight biotin for hair growth as it does encourage hair growth all over not just your head. I take evening primrose oil, vitamin D3, once in a while a Country Life Powerdophilus capsule. I now take supplements for my general heath not specifically for hair growth.

This is true...I had forgotten about those side effects:rolleyes:

Mrs.Harrington
02-09-2011, 05:05 PM
I've been slacking on taking my Fish Oil but I did notice it helped when I did take it.

Saunta2
02-10-2011, 06:04 AM
I've been slacking on the fish oil too, I bought a bottle of Omega 3 a couple of week ago. I took it ok for about the first week and a half then I keep forgetting.

RosaVermelha
02-12-2011, 12:26 PM
I've been slacking on the fish oil too, I bought a bottle of Omega 3 a couple of week ago. I took it ok for about the first week and a half then I keep forgetting.

That was my problem for years. I would flake out and forget to take my vitamins. Now I'm pretty good about it, I may skip here or there. A 7-day pill box might help remind you. I started the fish oil just cause it's healthy for you. Also I take a separate vitamin e among other things.

Halibel
02-12-2011, 04:53 PM
This is true...I had forgotten about those side effects:rolleyes:

LOL! Awwww, yeah, I read that some ladies noticed they started growing a little mustache and chin hairs from taking that stuff religiously, lol.

Saunta2
02-12-2011, 06:06 PM
LOL! Awwww, yeah, I read that some ladies noticed they started growing a little mustache and chin hairs from taking that stuff religiously, lol.

No thank you, I got enough chin hairs. Thankfully they're not noticeable unless you are searching for them.

LisaLisa
02-13-2011, 10:35 PM
I have had better result with Biotin than Fish Oil, if I dont drink plenty of water while taking biotin my face breaks out.

Missv
02-16-2011, 02:52 PM
I started taking a multivitamin, fish oil and vitamin D and I have noticed that my hair is growing more.

PurplePeony
09-12-2011, 09:56 PM
I take Spring Valley brand Fish Oil,Borage, Flaxseed, and Omega 3,6,9 in softgel everyday as one of my supplements.

I used to take Udo`s Choice 3-6-9, & my hair grew extremely fast & soft, wavy. I dunno why I stopped I loved the results. I need to revisit this for the winter. It`s kinda pricey tho but for me it`s worth it.

Dividir
09-13-2011, 12:41 AM

That is the way it is supposed to be.

People don't realise that if the rest of your body is not healthy, your hair wont be healthy.
Other than sun protection and its temperature trapping properties hair isnt that important copmpared to the other processes in the body

BubblesLove
09-25-2011, 09:04 PM
I know since I have been taking Biotin I haven't had any unwanted hair growth, but then again I have only been on it for 6 weeks....

PurplePeony
01-29-2012, 03:01 AM
biotin is making my face greasy. Anyone else have this problem?

FoxyCleopatra
01-30-2012, 01:28 AM
I only took Fish Oil for a month and I didn't see a difference. I should have probably given it another month or two. I am so bad about consistently taking supplements.

MadameX
01-30-2012, 03:37 AM
Biotin bursts my ass, I stopped it.

PurplePeony
01-30-2012, 04:46 AM
Fish oil helps with cystic acne. I dunno about hair tho.

leentora
01-30-2012, 10:22 AM
Consistent use of fish oil, cod liver oil etc will help with dry skin etc, so I am guessing the oil that is released to those that have dry skin. It could be consider the same is done to the scalp why some say they get growth etc from taking fish / cod liver oil. <-- Just speculating here.

NaTuRaLe_BeAuTe`
02-03-2012, 08:21 PM
This is going to sound really weird but I know Omega 3 is really good for hair. I have a long haired yorkie (dog) and there are products that people feed their dogs that are high in Omega 3 and it makes their coat really shiny. This is very popular among dog owners whose dogs are show dogs. I met a lady that also has yorkies who are show dogs and she uses Omega 3 (in pill form of course) and her hair is absolutely amazing.

Ms. Tiki
03-02-2012, 09:51 AM
I take 10,000mcg of biotin with a b complex and a Omega 3,6,9. I used to take the Omegas separately but it was too much. My hair is thick and shiny. It has truly grown a lot. I also take NAC and MSM for good measure

Jnelson
03-02-2012, 10:44 AM
The fish gel caps are so smelly but I take them to reduce cholesterol ..and if it also helps growth of healthy hair ..then its added bonus :)

Missey
03-02-2012, 12:57 PM
I use to take the fish oil vitamins, but for some reason when I ran out I stopped. I'm looking at my arsenal of supplements, and all I can do is snicker. I know if I saw someone with that amount of prescription medication in their home, I would be having some thoughts. I just have to realize that since I don't eat right, I'm supplementing my body so I won't be on prescription medication, so adding another bottle might look bad, but it's all good.

Adds Fish oil to list of items to purchase.

hanna_light
03-02-2012, 01:35 PM
I am a big believer in taking fish oils I've been taking religious them religiously since I was 13 and I also give it to my son as well and it goes without saying that his hair/coat is so shiny.

LilMissRed
03-03-2012, 07:59 AM
Biotin. BUT since reading Dena's post on fish oil... I'll be shopping for some of that on my next store run :D

SideEyes
03-03-2012, 07:11 PM
I bought some Philosophy Replenishing Serum with Omega 3-6-9 oils for my face and this is what it says on the bottle: What is good for the heart is good for the face.... So with that thought, it should be good for the hair too :P

jillybean2012
03-03-2012, 11:00 PM
I use to take the fish oil vitamins, but for some reason when I ran out I stopped. I'm looking at my arsenal of supplements, and all I can do is snicker. I know if I saw someone with that amount of prescription medication in their home, I would be having some thoughts. I just have to realize that since I don't eat right, I'm supplementing my body so I won't be on prescription medication, so adding another bottle might look bad, but it's all good.

Adds Fish oil to list of items to purchase.

I feel you on this. My DH says that I need a vitamin rehab(LOL)! I had to leave the fish oil and Biotin alone. Just added silica and msm to the mix though.:)